Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 20:20 

Just watched the first episode of BBC 4's Tunes for Tyrants with Suzy Klein. The first one looks at the music of Weimar Germany and Lenin-period Russia, with modern performances of the songs alongside archive footage.

There's a very dark moment when she and a German cabaret singer perform a late 1920s song taking the piss out of the Nazis but with lyrics that today are deeply discomforting, followed shortly after by a very sensitive discussion of the Horst-Wessel Lied.

On a lighter part of the show, the performance of Camille Saint-Saëns' Swan on piano and theremin is sublimely beautiful and worth catching in itself. Oh, and she destroys a piano with a sledgehammer at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 17:46 

Finished 'Back'. I enjoyed it more as a drama rather than as a laugh-a-minute comedy although there were some very funny moments in there. Andrew (Robert Webb) was brilliantly manipulative throughout. I felt the twist at the end fell a bit flat, however.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 18:15 
UltraMod

It raised a smile every now and again but just wasn't funny enough. If it didn't have Mitchell and Webb in it we wouldn't even be talking about it, as the supporting cast were dreadful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 20:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I enjoyed it immensely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 22:41 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
I enjoyed it immensely.

Quelle surprise, PraiseBot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 14:25 

I have no idea if Netflix shows go in here or the US thread. Meh.

Anyway, Mindhunter: very good. If I told you it was a character drama exec-produced by David Fincher about the dawn of criminal profiling in the FBI in the 70s, you'd probably immediately be able to imagine what it's like. Refrshingly free of cliché so far (three episodes in), and with some great performances from the two male leads and a particularly mesmeric work from the actor playing the first serial killer interviewee we've seen so far.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 14:29 
Awesome
Yes

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I have no idea if Netflix shows go in here or the US thread. Meh.

Anyway, Mindhunter: very good. If I told you it was a character drama exec-produced by David Fincher about the dawn of criminal profiling in the FBI in the 70s, you'd probably immediately be able to imagine what it's like. Refrshingly free of cliché so far (three episodes in), and with some great performances from the two male leads and a particularly mesmeric work from the actor playing the first serial killer interviewee we've seen so far.

Start a Netflix originals thread!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 20:54 

Watched the first episode of 'Gunpowder'. Suitably mucky for the period and a rather gruesome demonstration of Stuart entertainment at the start. Some of the dialogue was a little clunky, however, and I really didn't think Mark Gatiss was particularly well cast as Sir Robert Cecil. I'll probably catch the next two parts nonetheless.

I then watched ten minutes of ITV2's 'Bromans' that I'd idly taped out of perverse curiosity before I found myself yearning to be thrown to the lions myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:03 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
Watched the first episode of 'Gunpowder'. Suitably mucky for the period and a rather gruesome demonstration of Stuart entertainment at the start. Some of the dialogue was a little clunky, however, and I really didn't think Mark Gatiss was particularly well cast as Sir Robert Cecil. I'll probably catch the next two parts nonetheless.

Yes. Crikey. Was not quite expecting that right off the gun but yeah. Episode itself was OK. And i am now sure I did see him in the pub.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 
Excellent Member

I wasn't aware of this until it had been on for weeks already so I'll mention it here in case anyone else is in a similar position: a new season of W1A is currently showing and will no doubt* be as hilarious as the preceding seasons and the olympic thing it started as.

*I say that because I'm stockpiling it and haven't actually started watching it myself as yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:21 

That's one of those shows that sounds really up my street based on what I've heard but which I've yet to actually watch. Must make amends.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:58 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
That's one of those shows that sounds really up my street based on what I've heard but which I've yet to actually watch. Must make amends.

It's probably worth watching them in order (starting with 'Twenty Twelve' which is really the first series) if you can. Not because there are massively important plots to follow or anything but new characters do come in at times and I think it would be better appreciated if you see them from their point of introduction rather than as they stand now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:11 
Comfortably Dumb

Findus Fop wrote:
devilman wrote:
Been watching 'The Fall' on Amazon these past few evenings. Enjoyed the first two seasons, once I got used to the slowish pace of it all and the terrible subtitling in season two. Got to the end of season two only to find that season three isn't included in Prime and has to be paid for separately. Gits.

You're missing nothing, third series was a waste of time.

Amazon added series three the other day, so I thought I'd give a go. You're not wrong so far.. bloody hell.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 22:29 
Bad Girl

Gotta say, s12 of Red Dwaft has actually been...pretty good. I’m surprised. I can’t stand the canned laughter but otherwise it’s been actually watchable and occasionally quite funny.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 0:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

XII is filmed with an audience.

I think Red Dwarf always has been.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 0:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Didn't they switch to an audience for nuDwarf, and it was measurably worse for it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 0:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh, apparently not. Live audience for every episode.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 0:52 
Bad Girl

Even if it is I’m not convinced that the laughter track that plays over the top of it is from the same audience’s reactions. The actors don’t react to the laughter at all and lines are read out while “laughter” is still going on from a previous joke. Happy to be proven wrong if you know something I don’t.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Satsuma wrote:
Even if it is I’m not convinced that the laughter track that plays over the top of it is from the same audience’s reactions. The actors don’t react to the laughter at all and lines are read out while “laughter” is still going on from a previous joke. Happy to be proven wrong if you know something I don’t.

According to Llewellyn there's always a live studio audience, but for some shots/scenes where they can't, they dub over a laugh track from separate audience reactions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:59 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Bamba wrote:
Kern wrote:

It's probably worth watching them in order (starting with 'Twenty Twelve' which is really the first series) if you can. Not because there are massively important plots to follow or anything but new characters do come in at times and I think it would be better appreciated if you see them from their point of introduction rather than as they stand now.

I began to think they were running out of plot, but I still enjoyed the last series. Anna Rampton’s meltdown was great, and it was nice to see that Will haplessly provided a solution to a problem that the other high flyers were struggling to cope with. Still very much worth watching.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:15 
Unpossible!

No studio audience for S7. The laugh track was recorded "live" after. The extended versions of S7 have no laugh track and it's proper eerie. I think those versions are on the DVDs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:32 

According to something I heard in an interview ages ago, comedies shot in front of live audiences often air with a laugh track rather than the audience's reaction, at least in part. Recording the audience can mess up timing of jokes, or have one person laughing distractingly loud, or otherwise get in the way of the show. The live audience is there to help the actor's performance, not be part of the show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:38 

It's also quite hard to get the same laugh for a joke when you've heard it three times due to retakes.

Ken Levine, who used to write for 'Frasier', 'MASH', and 'Cheers', wrote a blog post about this recently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:43 

I similarly either read a piece or watched a program once that said that there is a tendency for some members of an audience to give the last or loudest laugh, laugh beyond the natural laugh period or in a notable manner to be able to give an identifiable laugh for when they watch it back, so the audience laughter is smoothed post-production.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:33 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I went to a taping of Harry Hills TV burp once and they definitely put a laugh track on afterwards. The show we saw was quite different to the one that actually went out on TV so I guess the moral of the story is to not believe anything you see or hear on telly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:05 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
I went to a taping of Harry Hills TV burp once and they definitely put a laugh track on afterwards. The show we saw was quite different to the one that actually went out on TV so I guess the moral of the story is to not believe anything you see or hear on telly.

The penny and the pie were NOT YOURS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:16 

I only find laugh tracks annoying when I don't find something particularly funny, or if the audience make that annoying whooping noise every scene. I often forget that 'Frasier' has an audience, for example. But I'm glad for most of the stuff I watch these days they aren't there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:50 

Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:

The penny and the pie were NOT YOURS!!!

Is this the next big game show scandal?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:55 

Kern wrote:
Ken Levine, who used to write for 'Frasier', 'MASH', and 'Cheers', wrote a blog post about this recently.

Quote:
Here’s an interesting thing – audiences respond way better to things they see live actors do rather than watching finished pre-records. In other words, let’s say I’m directing an episode with a car scene. I will pre-shoot it.

The editor will put it together that night and the following night when we shoot the show in front of 250 people we’ll have the ability to play it back for them and record their laughter.

However, when I direct, instead of showing that finished scene I bring out the actors involved, place them in two chairs, explain to the audience that they’re in a car driving, and have the actors do the scene live. I record the audio and even though the audience has to now imagine the scene, they laugh much louder having real actors performing the scene.

It all goes back to why some shows are filmed in front of an audience in the first place – there’s a real energy the cast derives from a live audience. They feed off their laughter. Their performances go up and if the writing is good the whole show rises. It’s intangible but the home viewer can sense it.

Getting back to that car scene, I wonder what would happen if we just aired the scene of the two actors on chairs instead of the real one with them in an actual car. I don't think the home audience would be thinking about the laugh track at that moment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fun fact - if they use prerecorded (or 'canned') laughter, often those recording are very old, and the people laughing in them are almost certainly dead.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:02 
Awesome
Yes

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:

Quote:
Here’s an interesting thing – audiences respond way better to things they see live actors do rather than watching finished pre-records. In other words, let’s say I’m directing an episode with a car scene. I will pre-shoot it.

The editor will put it together that night and the following night when we shoot the show in front of 250 people we’ll have the ability to play it back for them and record their laughter.

However, when I direct, instead of showing that finished scene I bring out the actors involved, place them in two chairs, explain to the audience that they’re in a car driving, and have the actors do the scene live. I record the audio and even though the audience has to now imagine the scene, they laugh much louder having real actors performing the scene.

It all goes back to why some shows are filmed in front of an audience in the first place – there’s a real energy the cast derives from a live audience. They feed off their laughter. Their performances go up and if the writing is good the whole show rises. It’s intangible but the home viewer can sense it.

Getting back to that car scene, I wonder what would happen if we just aired the scene of the two actors on chairs instead of the real one with them in an actual car. I don't think the home audience would be thinking about the laugh track at that moment.

I remember watching him tip over completely on the Smeg Ups VHS :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Grim... wrote:
Fun fact - if they use prerecorded (or 'canned') laughter, often those recording are very old, and the people laughing in them are almost certainly dead.

If Dead Can Dance, presumably Dead Can Laugh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:37 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Howard’s End on the Beeb. Brill. Just hope they get to the end before one of the cast is accused of sexual shenanigans and has to be edited out and replaced by Christopher Plummer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I watched a programme last night and it was called Motherload. It's got Philonmena Cunk (Diane Morgan) in it and I thought it was very funny.

It's about parents dealing with the school run, PTA and stuff like that. Most amusing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:31 
Prince of Fops

TheVision wrote:
I watched a programme last night and it was called Motherload. It's got Philonmena Cunk (Diane Morgan) in it and I thought it was very funny.

It's about parents dealing with the school run, PTA and stuff like that. Most amusing.

Motherland! Though Motherload is almost as good a name.

Loved the pilot, not caught the series yet, thanks for the heads up

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 

'Peaky Blinders' starts again tonight! Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 22:08 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Kern wrote:

I think I have missed season 3 completely.... arse..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:54 
Excellent Painter

KovacsC wrote:
Kern wrote:

It’s on the iPlayer I think

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Did anyone else watch the final of Robot Wars last night? I came into the series about half way through but I wish I'd watched the lot. It was great!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 

Ha, yeah. That was some epic roboteering right there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:06 
Prince of Fops

Incidentally, did anyone watch Can We Live With Robots on saturday night?

Super interesting look at the development of robots and the connections human beings are trying to forge with them. Unsurprisingly spent the majority of the programme in Japan. The whole show was weirdly built around this rather-shoehorned premise of the choreographer-cum-presenter trying to explore human-robot relationships through dance. Could have done without the inevitable 10-minute showstopper dance at the end, but I am a known philistine when it comes to dramatic prancin'.

Also featured this dude and his robot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 15:11 

I am finally watching Line Of Duty, the BBC drama about the police's Anti-Corruption force. It's very good. It's on Netflix if you missed it at the time, like me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 15:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's bloody excellent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 14:21 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I am finally watching Line Of Duty, the BBC drama about the police's Anti-Corruption force. It's very good. It's on Netflix if you missed it at the time, like me.

So I'm halfway through S2 and omg omg omg. Keeley Hawes is just amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:14 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Final episode of Bancroft was annoying, but perhaps paves the way for another series, although there has been no mention of that as far as I know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:46 
Master of dodgy spelling....

DBSnappa wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Kern wrote:

It’s on the iPlayer I think

Caught it on Netflix.. will try and catch up tonight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

This just goes from strength to strength. A regular household quote now, upon anything going wrong, is to snarl "catching criminals is hard enough, BUT CATCHING BENT COPPERS... GIVE ME STRENGTH!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

This just goes from strength to strength. A regular household quote now, upon anything going wrong, is to snarl "catching criminals is hard enough, BUT CATCHING BENT COPPERS... GIVE ME STRENGTH!"

His accent is absolutely amazing, too. To my mind this is about the best British TV output in years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:00 

Hard to disagree with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 13:54 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, great show.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Reply to topic  [ 2345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 47  Next