Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 0:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DavPaz wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Also, the play store is quite an eye opener. Unless you know the name of the app you want to search for, I can see it being very hard to find something that isn't an ad infested pile of rubbish.

Yep.

I will fondle your phone this weekend.

You're most welcome too!

And you can laugh at the fact that I've got all my contacts duplicated 3 times each... Good old Android. I seem to remember having this problem last time I had one and that was years ago!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:03 
UltraMod

I have a few that did that and I just used the merging tool to fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yeah, that's what the internet suggested but it doesn't look like that's an option on this version of Android.

I think I can download an app for it though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:37 
Unpossible!

Can you not just filter the list?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:44 

TheVision wrote:
And you can laugh at the fact that I've got all my contacts duplicated 3 times each... Good old Android. I seem to remember having this problem last time I had one and that was years ago!

If you load https://www.google.com/contacts/?hl=en do you see duplicates?

If not that's a very interesting bug.

If you do then
a) it's nothing to do with Android
b) it's probably been caused some device you've had synced against your Google contacts list having broken syncing code, which might not even be a Google device
c) this isn't going to have magically healed itself if you didn't open your Google contacts since you "last had Android", if the contacts are duplicated upstream it's doing the correct thing by showing them to you duplicated
d) do the steps listed under "merge duplicates" here https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1069522?hl=en

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:38 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
Also, the play store is quite an eye opener. Unless you know the name of the app you want to search for, I can see it being very hard to find something that isn't an ad infested pile of rubbish.

If you don't know the name of what you're searching for then, well, what are you searching for exactly? I genuinely don't understand your complaint here. Obviously there is a lot of nonsense in there, as there is with the Apple app store, but that's just a side effect of having more than like 10 applications available for your platform.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

If you don't know the name of what you're searching for then, well, what are you searching for exactly? I genuinely don't understand your complaint here. Obviously there is a lot of nonsense in there, as there is with the Apple app store, but that's just a side effect of having more than like 10 applications available for your platform.

Vision's just used to the Windows Store, where you can browse the top ten lists for each app type. Because every app on WP is in the top ten of whatever it is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I realised as I made that joke that you'd already made that joke, but I was committed by then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:43 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Vision's just used to the Windows Store, where you can browse the top ten lists for each app type. Because every app on WP is in the top ten of whatever it is.

Being able to fit an exhaustive list of every app available onto a single screen probably is a convenience that's hard to adjust from.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:
I realised as I made that joke that you'd already made that joke, but I was committed by then.

I think you got away with it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 13:11 
Sitting balls-back folder

I've got Lindy Bnx60 wireless noise cancelling headphones. They were 80 quid and are ace. They have a cable for if the battery runs out. Using the cable is horrible after not having to. Same as with Xbox controllers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 13:16 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I was looking for an alternative to the official Twitter app for a start, just thought I'd browse and see what was available but the amount of chaff in there made it very difficult indeed. I'll get used to it I'm sure but yeah, I'm used to the Windows store where there isn't as much choice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 13:29 
UltraMod

Flamingo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 17:19 

Lonewolves wrote:
Flamingo

Is the right answer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 17:24 

Flamingo is the second hit on a search for "Twitter app." The first app, Talon, is also pretty good. Works on my machine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think I'm just overwhelmed by choice on the play store.

Regarding my contacts, the problem is that I use Outlook to store all my contacts but my phone would rather use Google. I've set the default view to exclude my Google, Duo and Whatsapp contacts but the phone doesn't seem to take any notice of this and instead, displays them all. Weird.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 
Unpossible!

It may have synced the other lists *to* your google account. Might have to manually curate the list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DavPaz wrote:
It may have synced the other lists *to* your google account. Might have to manually curate the list.

I've checked that and it hasn't. The link that Gaywood posted above goes to my contacts and they're all present and correct, presented just once per name.

Now I think about it, there's extra names coming from somewhere. For instance, one of my Google contacts only has an email address against his name. He's only on my Google contacts and no where else yet he still appears 3 times in the contacts on my phone. One of my other friends (who I speak to regularly) is in both my Google and Outlook contacts yet he only appears twice?

It’s all very strange. I’m not losing any sleep over it but it would be nice to have it sorted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 
Unpossible!

You'll get an email only contact for everyone you've emailed, IIRC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DavPaz wrote:

Which is fine and I think I knew that anyway. This person was added by myself anyway so that doesn't matter... but I did only add him once.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Which is fine and I think I knew that anyway. This person was added by myself anyway so that doesn't matter... but I did only add him once.

You should get one of those iPhones. I hear they're good ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I've checked that and it hasn't. The link that Gaywood posted above goes to my contacts and they're all present and correct, presented just once per name.

Now I think about it, there's extra names coming from somewhere. For instance, one of my Google contacts only has an email address against his name. He's only on my Google contacts and no where else yet he still appears 3 times in the contacts on my phone. One of my other friends (who I speak to regularly) is in both my Google and Outlook contacts yet he only appears twice?

It’s all very strange. I’m not losing any sleep over it but it would be nice to have it sorted.

Did you try the merge process Doc linked to? It's pretty quick and easy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I did indeed but there isn't multiple contacts in my Google contacts, it's when they're in my phone that's the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:12 

DavPaz wrote:
You should get one of those iPhones. I hear they're good ;)

My Ipod Touch scrambles up people's addresses, even when they've been correctly entered into my Gmail account and work fine on my Android phone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:28 
Excellent Member

You haven't done something bonkers like storing all your contacts on your SIM as well as online have you? That's the only reason I can imagine that you'd get multiples but only on your phone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

TheVision wrote:
I did indeed but there isn't multiple contacts in my Google contacts, it's when they're in my phone that's the problem.

In that case, in the contacts app on your phone, go to the menu in the top right, choose Contact Manager (if it's there, depends what contacts app is loaded on the Nokia) and merge contacts should be an option in there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:36 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bamba wrote:
You haven't done something bonkers like storing all your contacts on your SIM as well as online have you? That's the only reason I can imagine that you'd get multiples but only on your phone.

Nope. There's no contacts on my Sim at all. They're coming from Google, Outlook, Duo, Whatsapp and now Allo and I can turn any of them off, but the phone still displays them no matter which boxes are ticked/unticked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Cras wrote:
TheVision wrote:

In that case, in the contacts app on your phone, go to the menu in the top right, choose Contact Manager (if it's there, depends what contacts app is loaded on the Nokia) and merge contacts should be an option in there.

I had a look for this over the weekend and I've just looked again, and there's no "merge contacts" option on my phone anywhere as far as I can see.

I've unticked all the boxes so now it's just my Google contacts that are showing, but they're still duplicated and not duplicated online (that link Gaywood posted above). I can choose to view different accounts (my Outlook and Google accounts) and this does show the contacts as single entries.

This would be fine if it remembered this as my default view, but it doesn't. It always defaults back to the duplicated list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 14:11 

So you have all the same contacts in Outlook and in Google, and you see them once from each?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 14:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So you have all the same contacts in Outlook and in Google, and you see them once from each?

Partly correct. I DO have the same contacts in both Outlook and Google and yes, I see each list together which is where the duplicates come from. My phone seems to ignore my requests to customise the view and won't let me only show one or the other.

Adding more confusion is the fact that some of these contacts are duplicated once, twice and sometimes thrice. Where that info is coming from, I don't know?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 15:14 
Excellent Member

There's a Users & Accounts control panel which should show all accounts your phone is syncing data with; is there anything in there that might be adding the extra instances on top of Outlook and Google?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 15:33 

BikNorton wrote:
I've got Lindy Bnx60 wireless noise cancelling headphones. They were 80 quid and are ace.

:this:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 16:25 

Settings | Users and Accounts | Google | Account Sync and uncheck Contacts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 16:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Settings | Users and Accounts | Google | Account Sync and uncheck Contacts

Thanks Doc... I've tried that but the duplicates are still on there. Even when the contacts are refreshed. It does give me a message at the top saying that the Google contacts aren't syncing and do I want to turn it on though so I know I've gone into the right setting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 16:32 

What the fuck have you done

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 16:32 

Go through everything else in accounts and turn off contacts syncing one by one

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 16:46 
Excellent Member

Surely turning off the syncing will only stop further changes coming through, you'd need to actually delete the existing contacts that came from Google to get to the state you want no?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 16:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

:DD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 17:15 
UltraMod

Even I managed not to do this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 17:19 

He is TheVision: destroyer of corporations; the champion of the underdog; the friend to small animals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:16 
UltraMod

Call him what he is, a technology hipster.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:18 

Bamba wrote:
Surely turning off the syncing will only stop further changes coming through, you'd need to actually delete the existing contacts that came from Google to get to the state you want no?

Uhh I'm not sure, but I'd expect it to remove them immediately. in this day and age the source of truth is the cloud, not the device.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

:DD Thanks for your help on this. I'll try that next trick tonight. If push comes to shove, I could just delete all my contacts from Outlook and use Google as my main and only source. That *may* fix it.

To be honest, I'm not convinced it will but we can live in hope.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Alternatively, it's android. Install a different contacts app that does support contact merging.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:51 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Android people... what is a good app for downloading and listening to podcasts?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
Android people... what is a good app for downloading and listening to podcasts?

I use Pocket Casts. I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 
Prince of Fops

I used Podcast Addict for a while but ditched because it has a pretty confusing UI.

On CastBox now, which seems nice and clean.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:42 
EvilTrousers

Yesterday I took delivery of a Galaxy S8. The transfer of info is still far clunkier than Apple's solution so it will take a while to get it to where I need it to be from a UI & apps point of view.

The face unlock has been pretty effective, but the fingerprint scanner is a ballache based on just wanting to unlock it sometimes when it is sat on the desk. The voice recognition is pretty spot on despite my "Err Nerr" Hull accent, so much so that I can compose text messages with it with very little editing required,

I rather like the edge facility to quickly bring up frequent contacts and apps and the lack of a physical Home button hasn't been an issue at all.

Because I also pay for my daughter's phone and that's on an alternate two year cycle with mine I could potentially upgrade every year and hand her down last year's model. Finally a use for my offpring.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:01 
UltraMod

Yeah it's good. Some niggles but I'm pleased with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:59 

What's the current state of making payments via wearables with Android? Considering to give thought to switching over to Android, but one of the things that I use my Apple Watch for most is paying for things, and it seems like the payment systems for Android aren't anywhere near as ubiquitous or as tightly integrated with the watches etc.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 133  Next