Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:30 
Can you dig it?

devilman wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Ugh, a bothie - is that because it has 'both of you' in the shot? I always thought that a 'selfie' was an arm-outstretched-style photo one takes of oneself, but now it seems that any picture of an individual is being labelled a selfie. Fucking kids, eh? >:(

It's video recorded from both front and rear cameras simultaneously. There's an example on here. Terrible name though.

Oh.

a ) that sounds shit
b ) I feel old

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:43 
Unpossible!

How dare you! Many Bothies died to retrieve the Death Star plans!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 

'Doubletake' would a better name. But what happened to the good old days of asking a passing stranger to take a photo of the two of you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 
Unpossible!

Kern wrote:
'Doubletake' would a better name. But what happened to the good old days of asking a passing stranger to take a photo of the two of you?

Handing a £4.99 film camera over is different to handing over a £1200 iPhone!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 

I like to think I can spot someone who isn't going to be an opportunist thief. Or at least someone who can't run as fast as me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 18:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Anyone who believes myp has made the switch to Android and isn't just a spy on the inside is fooling themselves.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 18:48 
UltraMod

:DD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 19:51 
Excellent Member

Oreo is getting right on my tits. I have a few apps on both my devices that are running in the background permanently and which I'm perfectly happy with, so I don't need the constant notifications telling me about them. You can snooze the notifications for a couple of hours (which seems weirdly useless) but you can't permanently silence them. The whole thing seems really badly thought out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 20:32 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Haven't got Oreo, but on the Huawei I had, you could go into a list and allow certain apps to rub add background, after that it didn't tell you about them. I would like to hope a similar option existed here!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 20:34 

The notification should be in the "by the way" section: it should be at the bottom of the notifications, it should only be a single line, and it shouldn't put an icon in the status bar. Is that not the case?

What apps are these? I don't have any apps that do this installed on this phone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 21:41 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The notification should be in the "by the way" section: it should be at the bottom of the notifications, it should only be a single line, and it shouldn't put an icon in the status bar. Is that not the case?

All of those things are true, it's still really annoying. A notification should be of something you actually want to be notified of. Something sitting permanently in there is not that. If I swipe the widow shade (or whatever we're calling it now) down I want to see stuff I should, or could, action. Again, something sitting there permanently is not that. It makes it busy and irritating and harder to tell at-a-glance what I should be dealing with and what is just utterly pointless noise. In my opinion, of course.

The apps in question, in case it matters, are Pebble, Three in Touch and Twilight.

Also, in the case of Twilight, the notification that it's running in the background isn't doing the single line thing. There maybe something I can do about that (tap it, swipe it, hold it down, go into the notification options and tap, swipe or hold down one of the greyed out options that's actually secretly reactive if you somehow already know it fucking is because of course) but I simply cannot be fucked playing around with this stuff any further.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 21:44 
Excellent Member

I can do a more constructive critique on this later when I can be bothered, but the entire Notifications settings app is a UX shitshow the like of which I've rarely seen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 21:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Note that Oreo changes the way background processing works, so there's a fair chance that what the app Devs have done is throw in a hack as a workaround for the changes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 21:51 

Bamba wrote:
All of those things are true, it's still really annoying. A notification should be of something you actually want to be notified of.
Yes, and believe me, an app running a foreground service that is choosing down on your battery is something most people want to be notified of. This isn't supposition, and this change wasn't made lightly (I've read the product design doc.)

Quote:
Also, in the case of Twilight, the notification that it's running in the background isn't doing the single line thing.
I'm not completely sure but I think this is something the app developer can change in an update.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 22:05 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Yes, and believe me, an app running a foreground service that is choosing down on your battery is something most people want to be notified of. This isn't supposition, and this change wasn't made lightly (I've read the product design doc.)

Sure, and I've no issue of being initially notified of such things, but it's about control. I've seen the notification and I'm happy to accept what's going on but I *cannot* choose for the notification to fuck off; that's something Oreo will just not allow me to do. So that's annoying in and of itself, but it has a much more damaging long term impact: I'm much less likely to care or notice if something new arrives in that list; potentially something I should care about. Notification overload is totally a thing and anything that adds to that is sabotaging it's own efforts.

Also, I think we're kidding ourselves with the idea that most Android users are going to give a fuck here. The person in the street isn't going to understand or care about the significance of these notifications so it's almost instantly just going to become noise to them. Adding nothing to their experience and just low key negatively impacting their experience.

So power users get some initially useful info but end up annoyed at the lack of control, and everyone else just gets more nonsense they don't understand that trains them to ignore notifications. I'm simplifying that a bit of course, but I genuinely don't see this as a step forward.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 22:09 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Also, in the case of Twilight, the notification that it's running in the background isn't doing the single line thing.
I'm not completely sure but I think this is something the app developer can change in an update.

Hmm, really? This isn't notification from the app but something generated from Android System because it's detected an app running in a certain mode; isn't that then out of the developer's control? Genuine question because, as always, I'm genuinely interested. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 23:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The fix is probably not to run it in that mode - and instead to find a different way of backgrounding

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 
Hello Hello Hello

My S7 started showing me more notifications recently, without me changing any settings or asking for them, yes you can turn them off and tell them to fuck off when they appear - but as a general rule I think a device changing its behaviour for 'reasons' is a bad idea.

'25 minutes to work, the usual traffic'. Yeah cheers, fuck off.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:46 

Hearthly wrote:
My S7 started showing me more notifications recently, without me changing any settings or asking for them, yes you can turn them off and tell them to fuck off when they appear - but as a general rule I think a device changing its behaviour for 'reasons' is a bad idea.

I think it's a really good idea when Google are constantly updating and adding new things that are actually often quite useful. How else would I find out that it can do that sort of thing?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:52 
Hello Hello Hello

A 'Here's some new stuff you might want to look at' splash screen, perhaps, like they do with other things?

Anyway, notifications are something we've been seeing for years already, and everyone already knows where the settings are for them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:58 

My phone must be about four years old now and its behaviour has changed completely over that time, mostly without me actually asking it to and pretty much all for the better. I dunno I just really struggle to imagine getting upset about a little icon at the top appearing essentially just to ask me if I want some new thing they've come up with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:10 
Hello Hello Hello

I didn't get upset, I just pressed the fuck off button.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 

Oh, ok. You just sounded a little upset.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 
EvilTrousers

I find the traffic updates really useful. I often get a notification on my watch about another snarl up on the M6 on the way home and I can sometimes avoid it as a result.

I suppose on the Isle of Man the traffic updates are more "Highwayman alert, stay in your carriage around Ramsay"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 
Gogmagog

I have "Multiple subs have appeared on your sonar"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:50 

Actually the only notifications that do seem a bit frequent are the ones asking me to review places. I even got one a couple of months ago asking me to review a motorway junction off the M6.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

markg wrote:
Actually the only notifications that do seem a bit frequent are the ones asking me to review places. I even got one a couple of months ago asking me to review a motorway junction off the M6.

All the roads were in the right place. Would use again. 7/10.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:55 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
markg wrote:

All the roads were in the right place. Would use again. 7/10.

:D

I haven't been asked to review any major arterial routes yet, but I do get loads of notifications asking me to review restaurants and takeaways if I happen to loiter near one for more than a few seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 

I like the 'suggested replies' on the Gmail app. An invite from a friend to do something on a Friday, say, invariably comes up with 'Yes!', 'Looking forward to it', and 'See you there', and excludes the possibility that I might wish to decline.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
I like the 'suggested replies' on the Gmail app. An invite from a friend to do something on a Friday, say, invariably comes up with 'Yes!', 'Looking forward to it', and 'See you there', and excludes the possibility that I might wish to decline.

I use them loads, now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:02 
Comfortably Dumb

Trousers wrote:
I find the traffic updates really useful. I often get a notification on my watch about another snarl up on the M6 on the way home and I can sometimes avoid it as a result.

I haven't got round to turning those off yet. I work from home and don't drive, so they're largely irrelevant to me. Maybe I subconsciously like to see other people stuck in traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:08 
Prince of Fops

Kern wrote:

I tried to conduct an entire email conversation using them. My friend ended up thinking I was being a facetious prick.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:10 

Findus Fop wrote:
Kern wrote:

I tried to conduct an entire email conversation using them. My friend ended up thinking I was being a facetious prick.

How do you know he wasn't using them too?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 
Prince of Fops

Kern wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Kern wrote:

How do you know he wasn't using them too?

That would be excellent, two Google AIs having a row with themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 
EvilTrousers

MaliA wrote:
Kern wrote:

I use them loads, now.

Does yours have suggested answers of "Yes", "Absolutely", "Here is a picture of me and Julia Bradbury"?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:04 
Hello Hello Hello

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION JUST RECEIVED.

'27 minutes to work, the usual traffic'.

That's handy, since I've told these to fuck off once already, and it's Saturday, so I'm not going to work. These algorithms are (a) Disobedient and (b) A bit shit sometimes.

What with all the movement and location tracking, surely it knows what my working patterns are by now, when Google asked how much they could track of what I do, with whom, when and how, I accepted everything and cheerfully turned my life over to them - so come on chaps, keep up your end.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:59 

Obey the algorithms, go to work. It knows something you don't. The algorithms are infallible.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 13:54 
Hello Hello Hello

We went to Pets At Home instead, which I have been invited to rate. Via a notification.

Attachment:
notieso.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 16:01 

Long press on the notification and mute them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 19:41 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:

'25 minutes to work, the usual traffic'. Yeah cheers, fuck off.

It's possibly worth noting that this is all a Google Maps thing rather than Android specifically so it'll likely have come from an app update. After seeing your posts I finally got annoyed enough with the traffic ones to go into GMaps and turn off all the notification options, of which there are shitloads.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 17:01 
UltraMod

Another for the “wireless charging is a pointless gimmick” gang here. It’s just so slow, and isn’t really any more convenient than plugging a cable in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 17:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Another for the “wireless charging is a pointless gimmick” gang here. It’s just so slow, and isn’t really any more convenient than plugging a cable in.

That's utter rubbish.

The emboldened part, anyway. Obviously it's slow as balls.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 19:08 

Grim... wrote:
Obviously it's slow as balls.

A lot faster now. The new 15W pads will wirelessly charge a phone faster than we could charge with cables a few years back. (Still slower than a modern cabled fast charger putting out 20-30 W, admittedly.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 22:58 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

That's utter rubbish.

I have a circular pad thing that you need to make sure the phone is placed correctly on. Doesn’t seem much more convenient than plugging a reversible cable into. If you could just place it down anywhere on your nightstand it’d be a different argument.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 
Prince of Fops

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

That's utter rubbish.

I have a circular pad thing that you need to make sure the phone is placed correctly on. Doesn’t seem much more convenient than plugging a reversible cable into. If you could just place it down anywhere on your nightstand it’d be a different argument.

Or if you could wear 10 charging thimbles. Then you'd look fucking awesome AND charge your phone while you use it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Something like this is the way to go, all you have to do is get the phone sort of in the middle and it'll charge fine.

Plus if you've got an always-on screen it makes for a nifty clock and notification centre.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2017-10-04 at 07.54.10.png

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 
Unpossible!

Do you have to plug it in?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:

Of course not, it works on magic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 
Unpossible!

Hearthly wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Of course not, it works on magic.

Awesome. Tape it to the back of your phone and free power forever!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:45 

I have two of the chargers in that screenshot a few posts back. They're very good.

Lonewolves wrote:
Use cases:

1) on my nightstand, having a wireless charger means never having to fumble around in the dark looking for the cable then fumble around more plugging it in. Overnight, I don't care how long charging takes.
2) on my desk, having a wireless charger and Bluetooth headphones means I can put my phone down when I get to my desk and it'll pick up a charge, then scoop it back up when heading to meetings, lunch, coffee, etc. I might do that 15-20 times per day so not having to plug something in is meaningful.

It's not life changing but it is convenient.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 133  Next