Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 14:46 
Sleepyhead

Heh.

Next game I get a VF in my hand, play it turn 3 to an (almost) empty board (opponent actually had a 1/1), four turns later opponent resigns staring death in the face. Only character to damage them at all was the VF.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 15:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Who rates it as 'average'?

It's known to be ridiculously strong in Arena, to the extent that Blizzard reduced the frequency with which it is offered by 50% a couple of weeks ago.

I'd pick thirty of the fuckers if I got offered them in a draft.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 20:27 
Sleepyhead

Hearthly wrote:
Who rates it as 'average'?

It's known to be ridiculously strong in Arena, to the extent that Blizzard reduced the frequency with which it is offered by 50% a couple of weeks ago.

I'd pick thirty of the fuckers if I got offered them in a draft.

Icy veins has it as average, Light Forge and Hearth Arena as 'above average', but still below a lot of meh cards.

Glad to know I wasn't imagining it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 13:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Icy veins has it as average, Light Forge and Hearth Arena as 'above average', but still below a lot of meh cards.

Glad to know I wasn't imagining it!

The main issue with the card is if it's drawn and played early, when it can snowball a whole game. Its baseline stats for its mana cost are fairly poor, and if drawn mid-late game it doesn't really do much as it'll just get removed before the effect goes off. This may be why it's ranked overall as 'above average' rather than excellent.

(Whereas say, a Spellbreaker, for example, will always manage to do 'its thing' which is silence a minion, as well as put a body on the board.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 18:45 
Sleepyhead

Grrr. The bleedin' cards I need to make some of the decks I want to try are all in an expansion that appears to only be available for massive amounts of monies.

Boo! Down with that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 19:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Grrr. The bleedin' cards I need to make some of the decks I want to try are all in an expansion that appears to only be available for massive amounts of monies.

Boo! Down with that sort of thing.

I guess it depends how much you like the game, how much you think you'll play it, and as such how much cash it's worth investing.

I spent fairly heavily early on but managed to get over the hump whereby as long as Blizzard keep the pricing model the same - (100 gold per pack of cards, which is the only thing to think about now the adventures are finished) - I should be able to stay in 'freeplay' mode from now on.

Me and EBG had a few words about this earlier in this thread, and my contention was the game is not 'pay to win' so much as 'pay to play', in that the more expansive your card collection is, the more choices you have to play optimal meta decks (or just interesting decks that appeal to you), rather than being to stuck to particular classes and/or decks. (As players such as Trump have demonstrated multiple times over the years, it's entirely possible to get to Ranks 3-4 with a single focused deck on a brand new free-to-play account with not a single penny spent.)

Personally though, I just love the fact that any deck I like the look of, I can have a go with - and to me, that's well worth the £166 total I've spent on the game over the last 3 1/2 years.

What's your BIG CASH MONIES investment in the game thus far Curio?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 19:43 
Sleepyhead

Not a tremendous investment, but probably more than I remember paying :)

It's just that any time I look at an interesting deck it contains cards from the one expansion I haven't bought, and you don't appear to be able to save up points for it so I'm buggered unless I pay 17 quid or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Well the good thing with the old 'adventure' expansions is that the cards are guaranteed, so you can look at the cards in the set, and know that in purchasing the expansion you will get all the cards in that expansion.

This isn't the case for 'pure cards' expansions, where you could easily buy 100 packs and not get the cards you were after, so crafting could still be useful there or perhaps a better option.

If you're not fussed about Wild mode then just focusing on getting a solid Standard mode selection of cards would be less onerous, especially since a load of stuff rotated out of Standard earlier in the year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:04 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

The only other thing is remember they rotate stuff out and we'll get things that are retired (so you pay the cash moneys and then find the card vanishes anyway)

I also would not pick up any old cards until the new release happens (in the next few weeks) to see what it brings and how it shakes things up

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 15:47 
Sleepyhead

Both sensible approaches. I made a load of Murlocs with all my dust and have been having fun playing with them, because my Jade deck was in sufficiently Jade due to not having the cards from the expansion.

They'll go eventually and then I'll be laughing!
:DD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 16:11 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Both sensible approaches. I made a load of Murlocs with all my dust and have been having fun playing with them, because my Jade deck was in sufficiently Jade due to not having the cards from the expansion.

I like Murlocs , I'm annoyed that old murc eye was retired last year - and Hearthy's Paladin deck with the 10 point re-incarnate all your dead murlocs was really fun to play with

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 16:56 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
I like Murlocs , I'm annoyed that old murc eye was retired last year - and Hearthy's Paladin deck with the 10 point re-incarnate all your dead murlocs was really fun to play with

That still works fine in Wild and is still competitive!

Whenever I get a Paladin quest I go over to Wild and play that deck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Had a go with Control Mage last night as I've had a few VERY ANNOYING losses against it and it's always good to learn the tricks of your enemies.

Turns out it's an enjoyable deck to play, looking at the deck list you'd half wonder what its mechanism to win games (rather than just control them) actually is, but it's one of those decks that can just keep pulling value out of its arse or creating fresh value, and refusing to die, for a surprising amount of time.

Note that Eater of Secrets is a tech slot which can be replaced with stuff like Gluttonous Ooze or whatever you fancy against the decks you're facing. (I don't even have a Gluttonous Ooze and didn't fancy crafting one for a single tech slot in a single deck, Un Goro has been a punishing expansion dust wise and I'm down to 2000 dust, from a high of about 12000 IIRC. I guess you could put an Acidic Swamp Ooze in there instead, or even a Harrison Jones, although the deck doesn't really need more card draw.)

Attachment:
bcd4a293-fb69-472b-af22-99dbb36f08c4.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:29 
8-Bit Champion

Its the spell 'face' damage late game that always does me in - i can have a full board to kill them but unless i get my eater of secrets they can do multiple damage each turn regardless of taunts or whatever else i have on the board.

I'm surprised there is not a Cabalist's Tome in there as thats a regular I see and they always bloody draw another high point damage spell from it or a spare ice block

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:22 
8-Bit Champion

Well new expansion is out

I was banking up my card packs for the change (so you don't get dupe legendaries and that the odds of pulling one will go up) so had about 30 'mixed' packs of the old cards and enough gold and freebies for around 40 packs of the new cards

From my old stuff i had 2 golden ledgendary cards almost back to back , a Grull and a Sunkeeper Tarim , and of course the only other legendary out the old packs was the damn rogues quest !

From the first 18 of my new packs I got :

Valeera the hollow (Rogue hero) - https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Valeera_the_Hollow
Scourgelord Garrosh (Warrior hero) - https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Scourgelord_Garrosh
Prince Keleseth- https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Prince_Keleseth

From the last 22 packs I got no Legendary cards :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 
Hello Hello Hello

I've got just over 12000 gold. I'll probably bust out 80 packs or so initially, which should be enough to get a decent spread of cards and enough duplicates to craft what's left that I need.

I'm not going to get carried away crafting the Death Knight cards though, the smart money (or gold...) there would be to wait for the meta to settle down a bit and see which ones turn out to be viable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 17:22 
8-Bit Champion

Remember there is also a solo adventure prologue and wing , I forgot :-)

I just did the prologue and got the Dark Knight Druid card (which seems to be the one everyone is whinging about)

http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/card ... pestilent/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 18:03 
Hello Hello Hello

9 legendaries including a golden Lich King in 100 packs. Not too shabby.

2450 worth of dust off the dupes, and a further 1000 or so dusting the goldens I already had two of.

Now to work out what decks are supposed to be worth playing.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:34 
8-Bit Champion

So I crafted the Liche King - and a few other smaller cards and have been playing Dark Knight Druid a lot over the weekend - it is a great deck against anything fast (because it throws out a *lot* of taunts) , my big problem with it seems to be fatigue as i'm pulling out all my cards and then its down to me to hit the last few points off the enemy.

Probably needs a bit of a rethink for some of the card draw options but it does make the game different , and has some really powerful cards (the 10 point - gain 5 armour / draw 5 cards / do 5 damage / put a 5/5 card on the board is a beast !)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 22:11 
8-Bit Champion

Okay the worst f&cking deck in the history of the game

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/876628-o ... tue-priest

I just played someone and was playing with the new warrior cards - they just kept pulling out more and more of those f*cking statues , i would take them down , and they would put them back out / reincarnate / re-discover them

I'm not exaggerating to say they had 6 or 7 of that one card during a single game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 
8-Bit Champion

Got so close to level 10 (one win away) and then lost a lot in a row to drop back to 13

That Priest statue deck is a killer , I really dont see a way to beat it and I've pretty much given up as soon as they get the first 'cheap' one out and then pull it back.

From there on , virtually every turn they get a big minion with lifesteal on the board - I guess my next action will be to look at what i need to craft it and play with it to see what other people are using as counters.

Something to 'change' the cheap one rather than let it die is about the only thing I can think of but i dont have any cards to do that as a Druid just now

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:34 
Hello Hello Hello

My guess is that people are running that deck because Druids are dominating the meta and that's one of the few decks that has a decent match up against it.

I nearly hit Rank 10 yesterday too (one game away more than once), and every loss that prevented it was a bastard beardy Druid Malfurion Fuckface.

'Ultimate Infestation' should just be renamed 'Win Game'.

https://compete.kotaku.com/druids-are-d ... 1798137256

Attachment:
Screenshot 2017-08-21 at 11.32.49.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:13 
Sleepyhead

Trying some Druid out, and I always seem to end up with way more mana than the opposition, but no cards. If I don't get Ultimate Infestation I'm toast. Not sure how the rank 1 legend deck carries so many cards that are completely useless in the later part of the game (well, he also has other, better cards, which probably mitigate this).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:25 
8-Bit Champion

So the two main variants of the Druid deck i'm seeing are :

1) Play *lots* of taunt and buff them , and then rely on your hero power and minions to mash the enemy (after you have become a death knight) - thats the one I'm playing , its a 'slower' deck and i will often get to the end of my deck or very close to it , the advantage is that basically everything is a taunt and it stops all the fast decks from killing you quickly - it destroys stuff like Pirate warrior and zoo decks because its all taunts and all high health value (although typically low attack)

2) Play Jade cards , and especially the 1 point play a golem or add 3 cards to your hand , the trick here is you do get close to running out of cards but just keep pumping back in the add 3 jade cards to your hand , so you never actually get to fatigue. I've been tempted to just add one of those to my deck just to avoid running out of cards :-)

Decks I'm seeing a lot of

That damn priest
Other Jade / DK Druids
DK Mage , which is a really powerful deck loaded with elementals , with some basic cards that are suddenly overpowered (Barron Geddon does 2 damage to everyone and once you are a death knight you get all those 2 points as heals) - I'd like to play this one but i'm missing too many cards
Paladins with lots of buff minions and some of the prince cards to buff the rest of their deck (i've not had anyone play the Paladin DK against me but i do know that its a instant win once they get their 4th hero power character out)
Warlocks - they suddenly have a *lot* of life leech cards which kill off other minions and no longer damage their own

So again like Ungoro the whole game has changed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 23:30 
8-Bit Champion

This is my current druid deck

Addled Grizzly is the main card i've been switching around with some of the others - i like that its a 3 pointer and can go before my death knight (to buff the 2 free minions) or can be played before a spreading plague to buff all those minions (BTW thats a terrible description for the card - it will give you at least 1 1/5 with taunt and it will then keep giving you extra ones until you have the same number of minions as your opponent - and it does not count the corpse flower if its not active)

### DK Druid
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 1x (1) Mark of the Lotus
# 2x (2) Druid of the Swarm
# 1x (2) Wild Growth
# 1x (2) Wrath
# 1x (3) Addled Grizzly
# 2x (3) Crypt Lord
# 1x (3) Feral Rage
# 1x (3) Savage Roar
# 1x (3) Stonehill Defender
# 1x (4) Fandral Staghelm
# 1x (4) Shellshifter
# 1x (4) Strongshell Scavenger
# 2x (4) Swipe
# 1x (5) Nourish
# 2x (5) Spreading Plague
# 1x (5) Starfall
# 1x (6) The Black Knight
# 2x (7) Ancient of War
# 2x (7) Bonemare
# 1x (7) Malfurion the Pestilent
# 1x (8) The Lich King
# 1x (10) Ultimate Infestation
#
AAECAZICEFZf5gXEBuQI+AyuqwK+qwKEsALNuwKNwAKbwgKHzgLCzgKO0AKZ0wIHQP4BiwibzQKgzQKmzgKR0AIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 0:05 
8-Bit Champion

What it looks like in play (against a similar druid deck)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:16 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
So again like Ungoro the whole game has changed

Yes I think they've really done a good job the last two expansions, far less crazy RNG, far better balance across the classes, a good number of viable meta decks, less in the way of 'rock paper scissors' match-ups, and I think they've finally achieved a state whereby an aggro deck played well with reasonable draw, will lose against a control deck played well with reasonable draw, which is where it should be IMO.

(Although the new meta hasn't settled yet of course, so that could all change.....)

Aggro and fast decks need to exist and be viable to stop control decks getting too greedy, but I've always thought there should be a 'reward' for playing midrange/control decks since the games take longer and the decks take more skill to pilot properly.

Basically all I've been doing the last few evenings is playing Hearthstone and listening to Spotify, even watching telly or a film has fallen by the wayside the last couple of nights.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 22:54 
8-Bit Champion

Warrior turned out to be the hardest class for me - but done :

Attachment:
Screenshot 2017-08-27 22.51.01.png

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 0:16 
8-Bit Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 17:35 
Sleepyhead

What's the trick for the dragon healing one? I have got within one hit a couple of times, but can't clear the taunts, and by turn 4 there is constantly a taunt with > 5 attack. I can't clear them quickly enough whilst also pumping the dragon full of healing. Any tips?

EDIT - never mind, won very next turn. Timely silence allowed me to bypass that twat of a heckler.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 17:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
What's the trick for the dragon healing one? I have got within one hit a couple of times, but can't clear the taunts, and by turn 4 there is constantly a taunt with > 5 attack. I can't clear them quickly enough whilst also pumping the dragon full of healing. Any tips?

Haven't done past the first wing myself (which I did for the legendary), since it's just a pack per wing for the rest of it which I'm not really fussed about.

Hearthpwn has guides for all the bosses though - http://www.hearthpwn.com/guides/frozen-throne-adventure

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Hearthstone's Druid problem.....

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-should-be-d ... d-problem/

I have to say they're the only class in the game that makes me groan when I see Malfurion's stupid fucking face appear on the match start screen.

My brother was saying a few days ago that the real problem is Innervate and it needs to be Hall Of Famed, Reynad has reached the same conclusion.

Quote:
"Basically there's no way that the metagame solves the Druid problem in a healthy way...I think Innervate needs to go Hall of Fame," Reynad claims. "I don't think Blizzard should wait six months to see it pan out. I don't think they should wait eight months to see it pan out...that card needs to leave right now."

This is an interesting argument and one that should be taken seriously. You see, Basic cards may seem innocuous, but just like the Wild format itself, the more cards that are printed, the greater the chance these older cards have to be abused with new and unique interactions. Every time a new card is printed, you have to look at how it interacts with cards such as Innervate or Starving Buzzard. Unfortunately, you don't really need to build a deck around Innervate to take advantage of its power level; you simply need to have cards in one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 
Sleepyhead

That bloody mad scientist keeps beating me. He's so annoying!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:58 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
That bloody mad scientist keeps beating me. He's so annoying!

For that one you just need to be careful as he goes through the different levels and different things are free

I *think* i did him with a hunter deck (with either flare or eater of secrets) but the main thing is watch as you switch him down to the different powers and use them , also remember he gets that free minion each time

And if you think he's hard wait till you get to the Lich King himself

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:39 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, the free minion is well annoying. I can't seem to have the right cards to hand at the right time. It doesn't help that I have no Eater of Secrets, and Flare has about a 50/50 chance of being nullified by Counterspell (happily played around that by sacrificing one of my own secrets last time).

Damn sludge belchers just slow me down!

I shall defeat him though. I like the challenges.

In other news, I need to play one of you lot tonight or tomorrow to get rid of the 80 gold challenge that has been sitting in my queue...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 14:23 
Sleepyhead

Crafted Eater of Secrets and beat him first time. First timed the freeze dragon too. She's simple against a jade druid.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:48 
Sleepyhead

Q - When you have Wild Growth and play it while having 10 mana crystals, you always get a 'card draw' card, even if you played the card when you had used all your mana. Why does that not work with Jade Blossom, which does exactly the same thing? It's not a one off as I've done it loads of times.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Q - When you have Wild Growth and play it while having 10 mana crystals, you always get a 'card draw' card, even if you played the card when you had used all your mana. Why does that not work with Jade Blossom, which does exactly the same thing? It's not a one off as I've done it loads of times.

It is somewhat inconsistent but the official line from Blizzard was that Wild Growth is a completely dead draw at 10 mana unless it does 'something' (and what it does is effectively cycle itself), whereas Jade Blossom still gives you the golem so even without the excess mana effect you get a positive result from the card. (And it's not like Jade Druid really needs any more help..... :D)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 13:40 
Sleepyhead

My Jade Druid does as I don't have the 10k dust needed to craft all the best cards!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 13:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
My Jade Druid does as I don't have the 10k dust needed to craft all the best cards!

Have you tried starting with Basic Decks and then replacing cards in those with stronger choices? That might be a better option than trying to put together very streamlined meta decks whereby every single card choice is almost critical to the deck's success, with maybe just a couple of tech slots.

Jade Druid relies very much on the synergy of a large number of cards in the deck, which if you're missing even a small number of, could make things distinctly sub-optimal.

Icy Veins have basic and cheap decks for every class in Standard.

https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/standard-decks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 14:22 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, but that's exceedingly boring.

New fun decks!

To be honest, msot games I lose are because of the opponent either smashing through in the first few rounds (one guy got his 10/10 Yogg whatshisface out in turn 4! More common is hunter/beast decks), or I get on top and then they play the new Hero cards and go from getting battered to absolutely shoeing me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 14:23 
Sleepyhead

Or a shaman plays Doppelgangster into evolve, which usually wins a game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 14:30 
8-Bit Champion

Curio what hero card did you get for the solo stuff - depending on what it is you may want to try and build a deck around it ?

I've been beaten recently by DK Mage / DK Priest / DK Shamen / DK Warlock and all look like fun decks to play

I have Druid / Rogue / Warrior - played an interesting Rogue one yesterday who once they became the Death Knight used Oracle to keep drawing cards / keep shadowstepping it back into their hand with the minion who makes your hero immune on your turn , so i run out of cards and start taking fatigue damage and although they are out of cards they are immune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 15:11 
Sleepyhead

I forgot I had one of those. I have the Shaman one. Might see what I can do with that...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 15:27 
Sleepyhead

Annoyingly I have none of the best evolving cards...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 15:30 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
I forgot I had one of those. I have the Shaman one. Might see what I can do with that...

Shamen one looks good , the decks I've had problems with just fill out the board , use evolve to power theirs up / devolve to downgrade mine
The DK play evolves all of their minions (twice), then you can evolve one each turn with your hero power

Remember that when you evolve they automatically go back to 'normal' health so knocking the other side down and then evolving is a useful heal as well

If you have the cards I'd fill my deck with elementals (which all have good battlecries so you get those and then evolve them to bigger things) and some stuff that plays multiple minions at once

Example deck that throws a lot of jade stuff in if you have it : http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/900392-d ... lve-shaman

The http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/62893-rattling-rascal are great here because you play them - get the benefit and then evolve them before they die so the opponent does not get their bonus

I would not bother too much with Aya if you dont have her and you could swap one of the rattling cards for something else that either has a good battlecry or dupes cards (like https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Grim_Necromancer which gives you three minions on the board for 4 mana) - same for Patches - if you dont have him swap him out (and if so i'd probably skip the other pirate) - and then virtually everything else is common.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 15:31 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Annoyingly I have none of the best evolving cards...

Have a look at the deck above , yes there are some 'good' cards to evolve , but to be fair it works with some very basic cards as well (like that Necromancer)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 23:27 
Hello Hello Hello

If you want to amuse yourself in the current Tavern Brawl try this deck.

It should have two Ultimate Infestations but I only have one and I'm not crafting it just for this brawl. (I put in a Mark of Nature instead.)

First turn OTKs are entirely possible if you draw Ultimate Infestation and card draw (in either order).

Attachment:
amuseo.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 13:06 
Sleepyhead

Having a lot of fun with the Elemental Shaman with evolve and the legendary card.

Winning most, but just got absolutely destroyed by a Corpse Flower deck.

He played it turn 3, then revived it on turns 4,5,7,8 and 9. And still had six cards in hand.

Shame I didn't get my Devolve :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 13:10 
Sleepyhead

And then by an aggro Murloc deck that killed me on turn 5! Wow!

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 72  Next