Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 
Comfortably Dumb

'The Death of Stalin' trailer. I'll be going to see this I think, as I enjoyed 'In The Loop'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:39 
Excellent Member

Ooooh. Jeffrey Tambor? Political farce by Mr Armando? The already stunningly gripping story of Stalin popping his clogs? Completely up for this!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 13:54 
Can you dig it?

Malc wrote:
Moana

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 20:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pocahontas.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night's film was 'GET OUT' which Wiki describes as an 'American horror film and social thriller' but that doesn't even come close to giving you a clue what to expect, I've never seen anything quite like it.

I'd suggest going into it not knowing much at all (which is what I did), because the premise is so original that it deserves the chance to reveal itself in every unsettling detail.

It's running at 99% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes which feels right to me, Wiki says it's pulled in $252M from a budget of $4.5M but I must be honest and say I hadn't heard of it before, I just saw it in RT's list of 'new on DVD and streaming' films.

Do yourself a favour and watch this film.

NOTE - Despite the 'horror' tag it's not particularly gruesome or anything, it finds its horror in its theme and ideas. It's also possessed of a generous dollop of humour, is very smartly written and superbly acted, and it's not at all a bleak slog to sit through.

Best flick I've seen for a while.

908/1000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:01 

We watched The Danish Girl. It's just an amazing film, Eddie Redmayne is amazing. He's beautiful and handsome, at the same time. The whole film squeezes your heart in your chest. Anyway, if you've not seen it you should.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 20:42 
sneering elitist

I wanted to see Get Out at the cinema but Gaz procrastinated over it so long & we missed the last showings.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 22:33 

Jem wrote:
I wanted to see Get Out at the cinema but Gaz procrastinated over it so long & we missed the last showings.

It's on Plex, you know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:50 
Can you dig it?

Saturdays TV double-bill!

Tomorrowland seemed interesting at first but got a bit boring. 4/10, the four-and-a-half year old seemed to quite like it.

Star Trek Nemesis started out boring and then probably stayed boring, I don't really know as I fell asleep. 2/10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:41 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Jem wrote:

It's on Plex, you know.

Watch it. It's great.

I don't think it'd much benefit from the full CINEMA EXPERIENCE either, so will be just as effective a watch at home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:16 
Excellent Member

Yeah, Get Out is fucking awesome.

I watched Last Vegas last night because Lovefilm sent it to me. I'm not even sure why it was on my list because I remember seeing a trailer for it before it came out in the cinema and it looked awful. It wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting but it was still pretty cringey and obvious in places and just genuinely Quite Shite.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 13:29 
Prince of Fops

Reminded by Squirt's Conchord spotting, I watched The Hunt for the Wilderpeople at the weekend. It's written and directed by the guy who directed What We Do in the Shadows (which features Jermaine Clement and the chap who plays Murray).

To be clear, Hunt for the Wilderpeople has nothing to do with Jermaine Clement. But it is very kiwi and very funny and touching.

Basically a fat little delinquent is fostered off to a farm in the middle of nowhere (resided in by a hyper-grizzly Sam Neil). Adventures abound, bonds are formed. It's a little reminiscent of Son of Rambow in tone, though with more blood and swearing.

Watch if you like laughing and feeling warm inside.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 14:29 
sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:
Jem wrote:

It's on Plex, you know.

I know. Someone keeps putting other things on the TV though ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 15:47 
Sleepyhead

Findus Fop wrote:
Reminded by Squirt's Conchord spotting, I watched The Hunt for the Wilderpeople at the weekend. It's written and directed by the guy who directed What We Do in the Shadows (which features Jermaine Clement and the chap who plays Murray).

To be clear, Hunt for the Wilderpeople has nothing to do with Jermaine Clement. But it is very kiwi and very funny and touching.

Basically a fat little delinquent is fostered off to a farm in the middle of nowhere (resided in by a hyper-grizzly Sam Neil). Adventures abound, bonds are formed. It's a little reminiscent of Son of Rambow in tone, though with more blood and swearing.

Watch if you like laughing and feeling warm inside.

And his next film is Thor: Ragnarok.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 18:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Jem wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Jem wrote:

It's on Plex, you know.

I know. Someone keeps putting other things on the TV though ;)

Less squabbling more watching Get Out!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:16 
sneering elitist

I watched it. It was weird.

I need to watch it again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:19 
Excellent Member

Given that I've got my 'to watch' film list exported into a handy text format I thought I'd dump it here in case anyone was interested. There's absolutely some fluff in there that might not be any good but most of it should be interesting/acclaimed/whatever.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
8MM
A Bigger Splash
A Cure for Wellness
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
A Million Ways To Die In The West
AD/BC - A Rock Opera
Allied
American Gangster
American Ultra
Anthropoid
Anything for Her
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters
Attack the Block
Bad Lieutenant
Banshee Chapter
Barbershop: A Fresh Cut
Before I Go to Sleep
Beowulf
Big Nothing
Blade: Trinity
Blood Father
Bone Tomahawk
Boondock Saints II - All Saints Day
Braquo
Brazil
Brick
Bronson
Bug
Cashback
City of Tiny Lights
Cleaner
Coherence
Confetti
Constantine
Cowboys and Aliens
Cube 2
Cube Zero
Dark City
Dark Water
Dear White People
Death In Gaza
Death of a Superhero
Digging for Fire
District 9
Down Terrace
Downfall
Drugstore Cowboy
Elite Squad 2 - The Enemy Within
Enemy
Enemy Of The State
Enter the Void
Focus
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Frank
Freddy vs Jason
Get Shorty
Get Smart
Ghost World
God Bless America
Hancock
Horrible Bosses 2
Ichi The Killer
Idiocracy
In Order of Disappearance - Subtitled
Inherent Vice
Inside Out
It Follows
Jack Irish
John Dies at the End
K-shop
Kung Fu Hustle
L.A. Confidential
La Balance
La Haine
Legend
Let the Right One In - Subtitled
Life
Listen Up Philip
Lost Highway
Magnolia
Man Bites Dog -Subtitled
Max Payne
Mean Girls
Men & Chicken - Subtitled
Midnight Special
Miss Sloane
Mission Impossible 3
Mississippi Grind
Money Monster
Monsters
Moon
Morgan
Mr. Brooks
Mr. Holmes
Narcopolis
No Country for Old Men
Nocturnal Animals
Oculus
Only Lovers Left Alive
Our Brand Is Crisis
Our Kind Of Traitor
Passengers
Payback
Personal Shopper
Predestination
Prisoners
Rings
Saw
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Seven
Shallow Grave
Shaolin Soccer
Silent Hill
Skeletons
Snatch
Snowden
Solace
Son of a Gun
Stretch
Sunshine
Super
Syriana
Take Shelter
The Accountant
The Aristocrats
The A-Team
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
The Babadook
The Battery
The Campaign
The Conjuring
The Ghoul
The Girl On the Train
The Girl With All the Gifts
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Godfather Trilogy
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Guest
The Handmaiden
The Illusionist
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
The Italian Job
The King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters
The Man from Nowhere
The Purge: Election Year
The Pusher Trilogy
The Raid 2
The Rules of Attraction
The Secret in Their Eyes
The Transporter
The Voices
This Film Is Not Yet Rated
Three Extremes
Three Extremes 2
Three Kings
Train to Busan
Trance
Trespass Against Us
Triangle
Truth
Unthinkable
Victoria
War On Everyone
Watchmen
Welcome to the Punch
Wet Hot American Summer
Whiteout
Wild Tales

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

8MM is really good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:31 
UltraMod

I'm not a huge film buff but:

Brick
Attack the Block
District 9
Saw

All worth watching.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 
Hibernating Druid

I recommend:

Ichi The Killer
The Babadook
The Conjuring
Idiocracy
It Follows
Kung Fu Hustle
Shaolin-Soccer
No Country for Old Men

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 
Prince of Fops

Zardoz wrote:
I recommend:

Ichi The Killer
The Babadook
The Conjuring
Idiocracy
It Follows
Kung Fu Hustle
Shaolin-Soccer
No Country for Old Men

Fucking love Idiocracy. Might be a tough watch now given the current state of affairs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:00 
Bad Girl

Watch No Country for Old Men. Then watch it again cause it's fucking awesome. Then read the book cause that's awesome too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:18 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
Three Kings

It's old. Dump it.

;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 13:25 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Three Kings

It's old. Dump it.

;)

I was honestly wondering who would be the first to make that joke. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 14:00 
Unpossible!

Happy to oblige :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 18:58 
Bad Girl

Netflicks OKJA is brilliant.

It's one hour of the closest approximation of a live action Studio Ghibli film and I bloody loved that.

Then it's 30 minutes of 80's kids films to the tune of Chitty acuity Bang Bang, Oliver, 100 Dalmations et all; well, the bits with the dastardly villain.

Then it's 30 minutes of pure fucking horror film.

The first hour is the stand out but the overal package is very memorable.

And no happy ending.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
8MM is really good.

8MM - Grim... mentioned this above and it's been on my Netflix watchlist forever, and unlike most other films in this category it didn't disappear before I finally got round to it.

(NOTE - I'm not going to spoiler this as the film is nearly twenty years old. (DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S DAD!) But if you haven't watched it yet and are going to, this will spoil it a bit, maybe worth noting Bamba.)

Let's state upfront that this is a Joel Schumacher film whose output is, of course, 'variable' if we're going to be kind about it. However, he gets a lifetime pass from me simply for Falling Down, if nothing else. The screenplay was written by the guy who wrote SE7VEN, to give you an idea of its joyousness quota..... (More on that below.)

Now, this film is not as good as Falling Down (but then again Falling Down is one of my all-time favourite films), however I think it's both misunderstood and underrated in equal measures. (Rotten Tomatoes has it at 22% which is ridiculously harsh.)

I do remember when this was originally released and there was a bit of a kerfuffle about it being really nasty and all about snuff films which everyone knows aren't real and 8MM is artistically repugnant etc blah blah, but the negative press stuck with me and I never watched it, despite liking both Nicolas Cage and Schumacher, albeit mostly because of Falling Down in the latter case.

8MM IS NOT ALL ABOUT SNUFF FILMS, even though it has one in it. A (single) snuff film is simply the vehicle through which the story is told and the message is delivered.

You know how Falling Down was misunderstood in some quarters and almost sold as 'MICHAEL DOUGLAS GOES ON A KILL CRAZY VIOLENT RAMPAGE FUCK YEAH!' (and vilified by many as such) despite the fact he only kills one person in the entire film when he's pushed well past breaking point, and the film as a whole is clearly a (way ahead of its time IMO) cogitation on the state of American society at the time and the frictions therein (the guy who wrote the screenplay has explicitly said this).

Well replace 'MICHAEL DOUGLAS GOES ON A KILL CRAZY VIOLENT RAMPAGE FUCK YEAH!' with 'DISGUSTING SLIMY SNUFF FILM EXPLOITATION NONSENSE!' and you'd be on the right track as to how wrong nearly everyone is about this film.

Roger Ebert is one of the few critics who called it right at the time, and having watched the film, and then read his review, I'd suggest you do the same if you're interested in it - http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/8mm-1999

In simple terms, Nic Cage plays a private investigator to the powerful and wealthy who is well regarded for being discreet and effective, he's happily married and they've not long had a baby. He's called in by an elderly rich widow to investigate an 8MM film that was found in her husband's safe after his death. (They had to hire a professional safe cracker to get into the safe.) The film appears to show the sadistic murder of a teenage girl by a masked man, and the widow asks Nic Cage to establish whether or not it's real. (She is desperate to know it's not real, but she also asks him to find the truth.)

Nic Cage is initially quite blase about it (urban legend, just good special effects etc) but on watching the film has sufficient doubts to take on the case.

He is then slowly pulled into a world of depravity and evil the likes of which he had never imagined could exist, where with sufficient money anything can be purchased, and the most dreadful urges can be indulged and satisfied.

Having read up on the film a bit since watching it a couple of days ago, it seems that Schumacher and Andrew Kevin Walker (the chap who wrote this and SE7EN) had a falling out over it and Walker disowned it as he felt Schumacher made too many changes to his screenplay and toned it down too much, so fuck knows what it was like in its originally conceived form. (He was also very unhappy about Schumacher giving the film an almost happy ending, whereas his screenplay had more of a SE7VEN style headfuck, apparently.)

Overall I think the point of this film, the message, if you will, is that real evil exists and money in particular has almost infinite power to corrupt and twist human beings. Given when the film was written and made, the soaraway 90s when everyone was getting rich and money was god, it's a prescient message if we look at where we've ended up.

Despite all the above this is not a 'great film', succumbing to some lazy thriller conventions on more than one occasion, and whilst Cage is good in the lead role and never goes 'FULL CAGE' I'm not sure he's the best man for this particular job. The rest of the cast are excellent though, including Joaquin Phoenix, James Gandolfini and Peter Stormare (the near-silent killer out of the film Fargo).

By modern standards the violence and gore aren't particularly hardcore, I get the feeling there was quite a bit of editing/snipping/reframing required to get it an 'R' as opposed to NC-17, to the point that the editing gets rather choppy in a couple of instances, but then again do we really need to see someone's head get caved in, 'Irreversible' style?

It's a dark, somewhat unremitting film, imperfectly made - but it's different and bold enough to be worth a watch IMO, it's hard to imagine a major studio cranking something like this out today.

By the end of the film, driven close to insanity by what he has uncovered, Cage collapses into his wife's arms and cries, 'My God, save me, save me.' These are the last words spoken by him in the film.

795/1000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 23:00 

Jem and I have just watched Locke, a film that was described to me as "Tom Hardy drives down the M6 for an hour and a half while on the phone."

That synopsis is almost completely accurate (he spends some time on the M1 too) and yet the film is oddly compelling - apart from a couple of scene-setting shots, the entire movie takes place inside the protagonist's car, and Tom Hardy is the only on-screen presence for the entire duration.

Recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 23:14 
Bad Girl

Baywatch*: What a load of old wank.

Going in Style**: What a load of old wank. Pun intended***.

Guardians of the Galaxy****: Remarkably average.

* The only fleshed out character is The Rock. He's also the executive producer; what a surprise. The cameos of Hoff and Pam Anderson are as terrible as you can expect. The lady who plays CJ was gorgeous though. Probably worth watching for her bits. I said 'bits'.

** Old codgers get shat on by their pension company so they decide to rob a bank. It's not very funny or memorable. It has its moments but it's not really worth watching.

***its a film about old men y'see.

**** Its fun for an hour and twenty minutes but then I was like "is there a point to this film because there's no plot and it's just character gags in between almost random scenes?" Then there's some bullshit about Starlord being a child of a god and I let out a massive yawn followed by a fart and I couldn't figure out what stank most, but I decided it was the film. Then there's almost an hour of dealing with the dad god where the Guardians are fighting in a circle in slow mo for the third time in the same sodding film. It's the same shot used in the Avengers Age of Ultron but here it is three times more. At least it's kinda funny even if the plot stinks of rancid chicken tikka madras. Actually that might have been me after all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:31 
Gogmagog

The Nuce Guys is quite entertaining with Robin Hood and Not Deadpool Ryan teaming up to find a girl as they are Peivate Inveztigators. Robin Hood's straight edged delivery works well with Not Deadpool Ryan's ott antics. It is set in 1970s. The daughter is good in it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Last two evenings have been DOCUMENTARY CLUB on Netflix. I won't go all 8MM on these as you can just look at their Wiki pages or other reviews, since they're documentaries and it's all like, stuff that happened in the world of the real.

ICARUS - A dude called Bryan Fogel set out to make a documentary about doping in professional sport, as he'd been disturbed by high-profile cases such as Lance Armstrong getting away with it forever with apparent ease. The documentary was to be about nothing more than him entering the premier amateur cycle race in the world (think an amateur Tour De France) whilst doping, and getting away with it.

However, during the course of his preparations he's put in contact with a Russian doctor to help him with his doping regime, and ends up blowing the lid on decades of Russian doping in sport, that culminated with Russia nearly getting banned outright from the 2016 Rio Olympics. (And includes astonishing insider reveals of how Russia cheated at the Sochi Winter Olympics with shenanigans that seem to belong in a James Bond film.)

What elevates this film is that Fogel and Rodchenkov are both likeable characters, Rodchenkov in particular is a documentarian's dream, I've seen him described as 'eccentric, garrulous, frequently shirtless, and immensely charming', and it's often easy to forget you're actually watching a documentary.

It takes a serious turn for the sinister when some people involved with the State-sponsored programme start 'dying', and Rodchenkov decides to leave Russia or end up the same way himself, and once in the States agrees to turn witness to blow the whole thing apart.

A truly fascinating watch.

Quote:
The scale of the cheating Rodchenkov helps expose is clearest when Fogel meets with scientists and officials at WADA in 2016, and explains that they have spreadsheets detailing every athlete on the state-mandated doping protocol at the London Olympics, and how many of them were implicated. The faces around the table are dumbstruck: a perfect symphony of horror, anger, and glum acceptance. “And he’s sorry? Grigory?” one of the WADA officials asks. It’s a question that neither Fogel nor Icarus really ever answers. The larger point, they emphasize, is that none of this would have ever come to light without him.

841/1000

BETTING ON ZERO -

This is less zingily made than ICARUS and lacks a mad-scientist Rodchenkov style character, but it's still a very fine film.

It covers the same subject that John Oliver has done one of his extended Last Week Tonight slots on, namely 'Multilevel Marketing Opportunities' or to give them their real name, pyramid schemes. (John Oliver's piece came after the film.)

The film focuses specifically on Herbalife, but starts from a very interesting point in time, as the wealthy hedge fund manager Bill Ackmnan shorts the Herbalife stock by $1Bn (yes, one billion dollars), convinced that the business is nothing more than an amoral Ponzi scheme that will collpase under its own weight and any sort of serious regulatory investigation.

What then follows is a years-long crusade, as Herbalife proves to be surprisingly resilient, even recruiting billionairse investor (and long time adversary of Ackman) Carl Icahn, who invests heavily in Herbalife and declares it to be a good business. And of course, every time Herbalife's stock rises and stays above the point Ackman shorted it at, he loses large, LARGE amounts of cash. (He mentions the figure $500M at one point.)

The film interweaves all this with multiple stories of real people losing massive amounts of their cash in Herbalife, a 'business' where it seems no one makes any money, no one really sells any products, and the only way to see any return on investment is to rapaciously recruit new 'distributors'. There's loads of archive footage of Herbalife conventions, training videos, talking head shots of their original founder and more recent CEO and other key personnel.

The human tragedy element is increasingly clear, as we follow a class-action group of people from the Latino community who thought they were investing in a solid business, only to see their money disappear into nothing. (The amounts involved are counted in the thousands or occasionally tens of thousands of dollars, but that cash represents everything they had.) There's a good-guy lawyer who takes on their cause in the class-action suit, and whilst Ackman himself is more ambiguous (he stands to make big money if his shorts pays off, after all), his motivations do seem sincere.

In many regards this is a more 'tradtional' documentary than Icarus, but I enjoyed it just as much.

839/1000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 14:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
Jem and I have just watched Locke, a film that was described to me as "Tom Hardy drives down the M6 for an hour and a half while on the phone."

Was the person that described it pretty much anyone who ever mentioned it on Beex?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 20:40 

Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Was the person that described it pretty much anyone who ever mentioned it on Beex?

Nope, wasn't aware it had previously been mentioned!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 20:45 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Nope, wasn't aware it had previously been mentioned!

It's almost as if it's possible to envisage a better system for this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 20:55 

Searching is for wimps.

yes, I can see that I'm quite a few years behind the curve. that's nothing unusual, tbf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 21:41 

Tickled (2016) - what starts out as a light hearted look at an obscure fetish gets progressively darker. It's actually quite gripping as the dubious nature of its backers gets uncovered, helped by the fact that the presenter looks like a kiwi Louis Theroux.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 21:53 
Comfortably Dumb

Watched 'Paycheck' earlier on Amazon. As it's about a bloke who gets his memory wiped, it seems fitting that I'd forgotten that I'd seen it before. I had a vague memory of the plot, but had no idea it was this film or that Ben Affleck was the lead.

I'm not entirely convinced by the plot device where
he sends himself items to his future self to help him escape his predicaments. To get everything right, he would have had to experiment over and over with combinations of items, as each variation would have altered the future outcome, meaning he'd have to re-watch his future over and over.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
Searching is for wimps.

yes, I can see that I'm quite a few years behind the curve. that's nothing unusual, tbf

That's not what he meant ;)

But then he probably posts here more than anyone else, so maybe it is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 22:52 
Comfortably Dumb

The US remake of Death Note doesn't look great from the trailer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 22:56 
INFINITE POWAH

Tbh the trailer looked interesting, but I have no idea what the original was.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 23:12 
Comfortably Dumb

Admittedly, this trailer for the original Japanese version doesn't make it look great, but I liked the film

The anime series is on Netflix, but I've not got through it all as yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 13:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Satsuma wrote:
Baywatch*: What a load of old wank.

* The only fleshed out character is The Rock. He's also the executive producer; what a surprise. The cameos of Hoff and Pam Anderson are as terrible as you can expect. The lady who plays CJ was gorgeous though. Probably worth watching for her bits. I said 'bits'.

You could not be more wrong. Baywatch is amazing in every way. You are not wrong about CJ though, oh my.

"Cinnabuns"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 13:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Baywatch was great, even if they did cut the funniest bit from the trailer (The Rock pushing the moped along with one leg).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 18:52 
Bad Girl

The remake of CHIPS was better. It had a better cock joke than Baywatch, if that's your bag.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:27 

The Hitman's Bodyguard is pretty damn good. Funny, with good action sequences (and a particularly good chase through Amsterdam) and with another excellent (if minor) scenery-chewing performance from Gary Oldman.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:30 
Soopah red DS

War for the Planet of the Apes. Pretty good, but much more on the interpersonal relationships and scene setting than the action side. A slow burner; the apes are remarkable, but at times I felt like I was being invited to just marvel at them. Which would have worked better without the mood music, which was at times too heavy on the 'well now it's a sad time', 'now look at the nuances of these relationships' side.

Plot holes all over the place - if you can put aside any 'but WHY?' feelings you'll enjoy it more. Sets the scene nicely for more. I didn't hate it, but it was a bit slow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:02 
Excellent Member

Annabelle: Creation: loses it's way a little bit in the last section when the shit properly hits the fan but that doesn't detract from how fucking terrifying the quieter first two-thirds of it are. I don't watch a lot of horror films so this might not be the state of the art but I found it realy scary.
Hitman's Bodyguard: is pretty predictable--and all the funniest bits are in the trailer as always--but it's very entertaining as you'd expect and I doubt anyone would come out of it having not enjoyed it.
The Dark Tower: having not read the books I don't know how much it glosses over but it's a pretty anaemic stuff considering the whole 'end of the world' level plot it tries to set up. I'd struggle to point to something specific it did wrong but it just felt like it was so much less than the sum of it's parts. Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey are watchable as always but they're just not given enough to work with. Also, the fact that main characters are called Roland and fucking Walter is just stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:22 
Rude Belittler

Bamba wrote:
Also, the fact that main characters are called Roland and fucking Walter is just stupid.

Roland as in the strongest and bravest of Charlemagne's knights. It's myffic, innit?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Most recent watch for me was THE GREEN INFERNO (18) which can be found on FLIX-O-NET.

It's by Eli ('Hostel') Roth and I'd basically describe it as 'Hostel in the jungle with cannibals'.

So we get about 50 minutes of setup with slightly annoying American students wanting to go out to Africa and save an indigenous tribe and the forest they live in from destruction, because EVIL CORPORATION wants the natural gas deposits under where the tribe lives.

They do their protest and it appears to have been successful but then there is an ACCIDENT and they find themselves in harm's way as the tribe turns out not to be that friendly after all.

The second half of the film is then a succession of pretty hardcore death and gore scenes, the likes of which I'm surprised got through with an R rating. (I'd guess the MPAA did their usual trick of shortening shots rather than having them removed completely, as a lot of the most gory shots are very brief but still enough to see what's going on. If you want to see a man get graphically dismembered and eaten alive, and have his squishy bits gouged out as special tasty treats, this is the film for you! Oh yes and FGM, because none of us can get enough of that, eh?)

High art it most certainly is not but like Roth's other work it is competently put together and the sense of terror and dread felt by the group is well established, conveyed, and ratcheted up to extreme levels. We also find that some of the group turn out to be reasonably good eggs under pressure so we can sympathise with them, although the tribe themselves aren't portrayed as 'evil' per se, they're just doing their thing which happens to be killing and eating people. Oh yes, and FGM.

There are a couple of twists and turns and some irony kicks in during the later stages as previous enemies become allies and stuff like that, but really, everyone's just here for the creative gore.

I just about gave this a 'thumbs up' but it was very close, and the score is:

495/1000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 22:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Death note?

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 422  Next