And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Climate change
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 15:52 
sneering elitist

asfish wrote:
I've had 2 roses put out flowers in the last week

That in itself isn't indicative of anything. Some roses flower through winter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 16:09 

Jem wrote:
Some roses flower through winter.
ToYST.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 16:18 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Jem wrote:
ToYST.

Loads of soft focus and slow pans, I feel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 16:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Jem wrote:
asfish wrote:
I've had 2 roses put out flowers in the last week

That in itself isn't indicative of anything. Some roses flower through winter.

Also it's a single datapoint completely lacking in control factors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 16:31 

DavPaz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Jem wrote:
ToYST.

Loads of soft focus and slow pans, I feel

Probably speaking French, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 16:36 

Cras wrote:
Also it's a single datapoint completely lacking in control factors.

Your face is a single datapoint completely lacking in control factors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 16:38 
UltraMod

Oh Cras, do you need some aftersun for that burn???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 17:11 

:D

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 20:36 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

We'll all need sunscreen soon!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 
Can you dig it?

Bobbyaro wrote:
We'll all need sunscreen soon!

Like any of you nerds ever go outside in the real world, too busy on your playbox VRs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 17:53 
Gogmagog

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015- ... the-world/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 18:38 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

MaliA wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/

Clearly that graph shows we need more volcanoes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:18 
sneering elitist

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/n ... an-normal/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 16:26 

Quote:
Stop me if you've heard any of these before:

"The warming is just part of a natural cycle."
"We've been warming up since the last ice age."
"To think humanity can influence the climate is pure arrogance."

If you haven't heard these arguments before, it's clearly because you've never read any of the discussions attached to our climate articles. One or more of these statements appear in just about every single climate article we run, which is made even more disappointing by the fact that these arguments are ludicrously, laughably wrong. People should be embarrassed to be making them (although I'd imagine most are oblivious to that fact). In an attempt to forestall further public humiliation, I'm going to explain why, exactly, they're such terrible arguments.

OH HAI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:11 

Having brushed up against academia (and ran away as quickly as my little legs would take me), I endorse this post.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 14:16 
Noob as of 6/8/10

MaliA wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/

I'm amazed that:

1. They have a measurement for how much arseholes have had an effect.

2. Arseholes haven't had much effect on climate change, (but I suspect that that is about to change).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:44 
Noob as of 6/8/10

* Aerosols, not arseholes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:36 
INFINITE POWAH

I assumed you meant Audi drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:36 
Awesome
Yes

I thought it might mean methane gas from cows, which is what normally gets mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:45 
Paws for thought

I assumed you meant Trump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 13:55 

Mr Dave wrote:
I assumed you meant Trump

You have to admit, he's rather aptly named in that case.

Whenever people go on about "Trump Towers" or whatnot, I have to stifle a schoolboy toilet humour induced giggle. I can't help but envision a shimmering, golden shrine to air-buffets or somesuch.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 15:02 
Beloved member

Wow, I think that too. Great minds, and all that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 22:59 
Can you dig it?

Mr Russell wrote:
I thought it might mean methane gas from cows, which is what normally gets mentioned.

A friend of mine watched Cowspiracy and was telling me about it the other day. I have another friend that quite often posts links to anti-animal agriculture articles on FB. Some of them are quite convincing... And yet, I do love eating meat (title) and would find it very hard to give up. Lady T and I have in the past done meat-free meal days as a way to, primarily, save cash when it's been tight. I mean, I'm aware of the problem, and do kind of care, but can't really find the personal-level impetus to actually do anything. That's kind of awful, isn't it? I'm not sure I'll really change much unless someone actually makes me, and that's probably true for a lot of people.

I wonder how many people share this sort of feeling that I'm struggling to describe - a kind of 'something really ought to be done, and I'd like to do something, but don't want to give up this / change that / make the effort.'

Cavey wrote:
air-buffets or somesuch.

:DD Nice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:28 
sneering elitist

I eat more meat than I probably should but try and balance it out by buying 'ethically sourced' meats (e.g. free range chickens etc) or meats from local farms from the butcher whenever I can. It probably means nothing in the grand scheme of things but it appeases my conscience ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:56 
Awesome
Yes

I read a thing about the carbon footprint and all the efforts being put in by 80million cars or whatever being reduced to such and such a rate...

and that it was eclipsed in one month by the 8 biggest shipping freight liners.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 21:23 
Isn't that lovely?

Quote:
expertariat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:16 

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... umans.html

Quote:
The Earth has experienced five mass extinctions before the one we are living through now, each so complete a slate-wiping of the evolutionary record it functioned as a resetting of the planetary clock, and many climate scientists will tell you they are the best analog for the ecological future we are diving headlong into. Unless you are a teenager, you probably read in your high-school textbooks that these extinctions were the result of asteroids. In fact, all but the one that killed the dinosaurs were caused by climate change produced by greenhouse gas. The most notorious was 252 million years ago; it began when carbon warmed the planet by five degrees, accelerated when that warming triggered the release of methane in the Arctic, and ended with 97 percent of all life on Earth dead. We are currently adding carbon to the atmosphere at a considerably faster rate; by most estimates, at least ten times faster. The rate is accelerating.

Quote:
Climate-change skeptics point out that the planet has warmed and cooled many times before, but the climate window that has allowed for human life is very narrow, even by the standards of planetary history. At 11 or 12 degrees of warming, more than half the world’s population, as distributed today, would die of direct heat. Things almost certainly won’t get that hot this century, though models of unabated emissions do bring us that far eventually. This century, and especially in the tropics, the pain points will pinch much more quickly even than an increase of seven degrees. The key factor is something called wet-bulb temperature, which is a term of measurement as home-laboratory-kit as it sounds: the heat registered on a thermometer wrapped in a damp sock as it’s swung around in the air (since the moisture evaporates from a sock more quickly in dry air, this single number reflects both heat and humidity). At present, most regions reach a wet-bulb maximum of 26 or 27 degrees Celsius; the true red line for habitability is 35 degrees. What is called heat stress comes much sooner.

Actually, we’re about there already. Since 1980, the planet has experienced a 50-fold increase in the number of places experiencing dangerous or extreme heat; a bigger increase is to come. The five warmest summers in Europe since 1500 have all occurred since 2002, and soon, the IPCC warns, simply being outdoors that time of year will be unhealthy for much of the globe. Even if we meet the Paris goals of two degrees warming, cities like Karachi and Kolkata will become close to uninhabitable, annually encountering deadly heat waves like those that crippled them in 2015. At four degrees, the deadly European heat wave of 2003, which killed as many as 2,000 people a day, will be a normal summer. At six, according to an assessment focused only on effects within the U.S. from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, summer labor of any kind would become impossible in the lower Mississippi Valley, and everybody in the country east of the Rockies would be under more heat stress than anyone, anywhere, in the world today. As Joseph Romm has put it in his authoritative primer Climate Change: What Everyone Needs to Know, heat stress in New York City would exceed that of present-day Bahrain, one of the planet’s hottest spots, and the temperature in Bahrain “would induce hyperthermia in even sleeping humans.” The high-end IPCC estimate, remember, is two degrees warmer still. By the end of the century, the World Bank has estimated, the coolest months in tropical South America, Africa, and the Pacific are likely to be warmer than the warmest months at the end of the 20th century. Air-conditioning can help but will ultimately only add to the carbon problem; plus, the climate-controlled malls of the Arab emirates aside, it is not remotely plausible to wholesale air-condition all the hottest parts of the world, many of them also the poorest. And indeed, the crisis will be most dramatic across the Middle East and Persian Gulf, where in 2015 the heat index registered temperatures as high as 163 degrees Fahrenheit. As soon as several decades from now, the hajj will become physically impossible for the 2 million Muslims who make the pilgrimage each year.

Quote:
Climates differ and plants vary, but the basic rule for staple cereal crops grown at optimal temperature is that for every degree of warming, yields decline by 10 percent. Some estimates run as high as 15 or even 17 percent. Which means that if the planet is five degrees warmer at the end of the century, we may have as many as 50 percent more people to feed and 50 percent less grain to give them. And proteins are worse: It takes 16 calories of grain to produce just a single calorie of hamburger meat, butchered from a cow that spent its life polluting the climate with methane farts.

Pollyannaish plant physiologists will point out that the cereal-crop math applies only to those regions already at peak growing temperature, and they are right — theoretically, a warmer climate will make it easier to grow corn in Greenland. But as the pathbreaking work by Rosamond Naylor and David Battisti has shown, the tropics are already too hot to efficiently grow grain, and those places where grain is produced today are already at optimal growing temperature — which means even a small warming will push them down the slope of declining productivity. And you can’t easily move croplands north a few hundred miles, because yields in places like remote Canada and Russia are limited by the quality of soil there; it takes many centuries for the planet to produce optimally fertile dirt.

Drought might be an even bigger problem than heat, with some of the world’s most arable land turning quickly to desert. Precipitation is notoriously hard to model, yet predictions for later this century are basically unanimous: unprecedented droughts nearly everywhere food is today produced. By 2080, without dramatic reductions in emissions, southern Europe will be in permanent extreme drought, much worse than the American dust bowl ever was. The same will be true in Iraq and Syria and much of the rest of the Middle East; some of the most densely populated parts of Australia, Africa, and South America; and the breadbasket regions of China. None of these places, which today supply much of the world’s food, will be reliable sources of any. As for the original dust bowl: The droughts in the American plains and Southwest would not just be worse than in the 1930s, a 2015 NASA study predicted, but worse than any droughts in a thousand years — and that includes those that struck between 1100 and 1300, which “dried up all the rivers East of the Sierra Nevada mountains” and may have been responsible for the death of the Anasazi civilization.

Remember, we do not live in a world without hunger as it is. Far from it: Most estimates put the number of undernourished at 800 million globally. In case you haven’t heard, this spring has already brought an unprecedented quadruple famine to Africa and the Middle East; the U.N. has warned that separate starvation events in Somalia, South Sudan, Nigeria, and Yemen could kill 20 million this year alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 13:51 

This is quite a sobering read:

http://bright-green.org/2017/07/22/as-t ... e-morning/

Pointing at Trump for pulling out of the Paris agreement might make the rest of us in the western world feel like we're on the moral high ground but it's absolute bullshit.

I'm unsure how it can even happen but something needs to change, drastically and quickly. But I guess everyone will be too busy dealing with shitshows like Brexit and Trump to actually do anything for at least the next ten years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 
Hello Hello Hello

I read all of that. Quite depressing really.

Maybe it'd be best if humanity were extinguished, the next lot might do better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 

Reading that just made me realise how little we're doing. There seems to be this idea that windmills, electric cars and reusable shopping bags are going to somehow rescue the situation. When in reality people are going to have to make rather more sweeping changes to the way they live. But even if they want to no politician can really tell it how it is because then they'll just vote for whatever shameless bullshitter tells them that they can still eat steaks all the time, drive ridiculous cars and take as many foreign holidays as they want and that somehow it will still all be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:33 
Sitting balls-back folder

So I should feel bad that my next holiday will see me taking my ridiculous car overseas to eat steaks, and add hundreds of food miles to the large volume of beer I bring back?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:34 

BikNorton wrote:
So I should feel bad that my next holiday will see me taking my ridiculous car overseas to eat steaks, and add hundreds of food miles to the large volume of beer I bring back?

If you don't have kids, your carbon is thoroughly offset.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:38 

Woohoo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Or a dog.

Food miles can be a load of bullshit, though. For instance, it uses more resources to grow tomatoes in the UK than it does to grow and import them from Spain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:44 

I don't have a dog. Yet.

When I do it will be a massive one, so I'd better get my driving steak holidays in soon.

The guilt-free ones anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Well we're all someone's kids so in that case we're all fine because our carbon footprints belong to our parents. :S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:50 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Well we're all someone's kids so in that case we're all fine because our carbon footprints belong to our parents. :S

Orphans aren't

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:52 

Their carbon footprint is offset by the fact that their parents are no longer consuming any resources.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:52 
Awesome
Yes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:54 

I suppose one answer would be to just kill some random stranger and then you could spend the rest of your life untroubled by guilt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:02 
Awesome
Yes

markg wrote:
I suppose one answer would be to just kill some random stranger and then you could spend the rest of your life untroubled by guilt.

Depends how far you have to drive to kill them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:07 

It's ok, I went on the train.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:12 

Guys, any chance of one last spin in the GT4 and a bloody good steak before humanity is extinguished and the lizard men take over in a billion more years of evolution?

Ta! :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:17 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Or a dog.

What's the carbon footprint of cat ownership?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:17 
Hibernating Druid

We won't begrudge you your last supper, old timer.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:18 
Hibernating Druid

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Or a dog.

What's the carbon footprint of cat ownership?

Cats reduce emissions.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cavey wrote:
Guys, any chance of one last spin in the GT4 and a bloody good steak before humanity is extinguished and the lizard men take over in a billion more years of evolution?

Based on nothing, but I'd imagine your Hog is more of a carbon-farter than your GT4.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:21 

Surely not, carbon emissions are directly related to mpg aren't they?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:28 

Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Based on nothing, but I'd imagine your Hog is more of a carbon-farter than your GT4.

Heh! I thought definitely no, but the 1200cc Evo engine (mine is an 1800cc 110B Screamin' Eagle) puts out 115g/km:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_GB/Mo ... specs.html

I can't find a figure for my engine but it's much larger and more powerful, has been stage 1 tuned and all cats chiseled out as well/fuel input maximised, so could conceivably be double (the GT4 punches out 238g/km. For shame!!!11)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:29 

markg wrote:
Surely not, carbon emissions are directly related to mpg aren't they?

Manages 45mpg on a good day :)
(The GT4 is 17mpg at best, single figures when raced)

Dr Lave wrote:

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next