Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Bin Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:35 
Unpossible!

I reckon a big chunk of our general rubbish is food waste, if I'm honest. Food waste, tea bags, non-recyclable packaging (cling film, crisp packets and the like) and so much kitchen roll (spillage is a big thing in Chez Paz >:( )

We're not the most dilligent family on recycling though. For example, practically anything that goes in the bathroom bin ends up in the general waste. That includes a lot of plastic bottles and loo-roll tubes. Naughty!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:38 

Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:
Heard from a few different people now that pretty much all the waste that we carefully sort round here goes to the recycling centre, gets dumped in a massive pile and then shovelled up into a different truck and sent straight to landfill. The way they get the figures for recycling has nothing really at all to do with the amount of waste that is eventually recycled. The whole thing is a joke. They built a massive waste recycling plant which cost I think something in the region of £100 million but it's now been mothballed because it's not economically viable to operate.

I've heard much the same about every office, estate, council that I have lived or worked in. I'm sure they can't all be doing it, can they? Maybe it is some sort of urban myth. It'd have to be either illegal or at least a terrible PR disaster if something were to be proven to be dodgy. Are there many councils or companies to have been busted for this?

I know it sounds like something that people say because they just want to moan about anything to do with being environmentally friendly but I'm pretty sure it's largely true.

A combination of low oil prices and the government scrapping some penalties for landfill means it's not worth the bother.

Here's the story on the fuck off massive plant down the road from here getting shut down:

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/scrapped-the- ... -1-7741123

We still have to sort all our crap but according to some of the few people still working there it gets taken straight off the recycling trucks and off to landfill.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:39 

Curiosity wrote:
I've heard much the same about every office, estate, council that I have lived or worked in. I'm sure they can't all be doing it, can they?
Over to our "spluttering outrage at the imagined or real excesses of the public sector" correspondent, Captain Caveman.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DavPaz wrote:

We're not the most dilligent family on recycling though. For example, practically anything that goes in the bathroom bin ends up in the general waste. That includes a lot of plastic bottles and loo-roll tubes. Naughty!

Same for me. I just can't be bothered to go all the way to the garage and put them in the recycling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:02 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Heard from a few different people now that pretty much all the waste that we carefully sort round here goes to the recycling centre, gets dumped in a massive pile and then shovelled up into a different truck and sent straight to landfill. The way they get the figures for recycling has nothing really at all to do with the amount of waste that is eventually recycled. The whole thing is a joke. They built a massive waste recycling plant which cost I think something in the region of £100 million but it's now been mothballed because it's not economically viable to operate.

My Dad told me he has watched the bin men shove 2 sorts of bin (paper+Plastic and Garden waste) into the same lorry for years

I've had fortnightly collections for years. my wife is from Ireland and recycling has been the norm there for a lot longer so she has always made sure we do it. So I do the following.

General waste in Green bin, some food waste and all veg peelings etc go in my 2 compost bins in the garden

Some plastic (defined by council) and paper go in blue bin

Garden waste goes into brown bins. These used to be a one off £35 charge but council started charging £30 a year once the government stopped them putting up council tax every year. Need them as I have quite a big garden and the 2 I have are full most collections throughout the year.

Council doesn't do anything for bottles\glass, there are lots of banks in supermarkets car parks so we have a plastic dustbin that we fill and empty in one of the banks.

Don't really find we have issues with the green bin getting too full by the time collection day comes around as I think the recycling we do helps. Only issue I have is when its hot as I find maggots are in there. So I have to lift the main drain manhole on the drive and hose the bin out a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:10 
Awesome
Yes

asfish wrote:
markg wrote:

My Dad told me he has watched the bin men shove 2 sorts of bin (paper+Plastic and Garden waste) into the same lorry for years

Yeah, but don't some lorries have different compartments on the left and right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

By god, people - it's Wednesday!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:14 

Wednesday is bin day around here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:15 

What's the worst type of bin?

Osama Bin Laden.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:16 

Actually, no, it's s pedal bin where the lid only opens about an inch, despite you stamping on it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:17 
Awesome
Yes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:
asfish wrote:
markg wrote:

That's how the one that does ours works.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:37 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
asfish wrote:
markg wrote:

Now imagine asfish's dad frothing himself up into a rage for nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
asfish wrote:
markg wrote:

Now imagine asfish's dad frothing himself up into a rage for nothing.

Doesn't mean they don't empty them in the same place, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:41 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I've heard much the same about every office, estate, council that I have lived or worked in. I'm sure they can't all be doing it, can they?
Over to our "spluttering outrage at the imagined or real excesses of the public sector" correspondent, Captain Caveman.

Get fucked.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:56 
Awesome
Yes

Cavey wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Get fucked.

Back to you in the studio.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 15:21 
Comfortably Dumb

Exciting bin front page news!

Attachment:
20160909_141709572_iOS.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 15:22 
Gogmagog

Crikey. Not good. Bradford moving to fortnightly collections soon. Boo!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 15:28 

I think everywhere here went fortnightly this week. BUT I have seen that everyone has rechecked a bigger bin.

Big bung!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 17:26 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
I think everywhere here went fortnightly this week. BUT I have seen that everyone has rechecked a bigger bin.

Big bung!

We have fortnightly, a few years ago after Christmas I was driving to work and noticed a house in my street with 2 green (general waste) bins out for collection.

So I rang the council and asked what the criteria was to have 2. Got a lot of waffle, before I firmly asked them how I could get a 2nd green bin if I wanted one.

They said I had to pay £70 a year for it, so not really that expensive to double your volume and sort of go back to weekly.

I never did get a 2nd one as we manage. I think at the time we hosted most of the family for the holiday so the bins were bursting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 13:26 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Here in my part of Madchester, we still have 4 wheely bins. Brown for bottles (I'm assuming that the counsil official who made this decision is a Viz reader), metal and recyclable plastic, blue for paper and cardboard, green for food and garden waste, and grey for non-recyclable stuff. The green has always been one of the large ones, the blue and brown were small, but we recently requested large ones as we regularly fill both of them, and they were supplied free of charge ...... But they didn't take the old ones away. We have a calendar which tells us how often and when each of the bins will be emptied. Green is emptied every week during the summer, and fortnightly at other times. All the others are emptied fortnightly.

We've managed very well with this for years, but recently we've been informed that the large, non-recyclable bins are being replaced with small ones, but will still only be emptied fortnightly. The council reckons it will save millions of pounds by doing this. So we've been issued with a new smaller grey bin [b]with our address on a plastic label stuck to it[/] (good) and the old ones have been taken away (bad). So, they spent a huge amount to give us all new small bins that we'll probably fill completely each week and removed perfectly good larger bins that they were only emptying fortnightly anyway. Doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:13 
Can you dig it?

I keep our wheely bins by some conifers in the front garden.

A possum has taken up residence in the trees and this creates a few annoyances for me:

1 - The possum poos drop on the lids of the bins
2 - The possum drives the dogs mental and they spend all evening barking at it
3 - The Boy wakes up at night and thinks there is a possum in his bedroom
4 - The possum makes funny hissing noises and scared the stuffing out of me one night when I shone a torch outside and the light reflected from its big beady eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 
Excellent Member

I got home from a walk today and noticed that my brown garden waste bin was still half full after the collection.

It was odd as there were still hedge cuttings in there, but I had put these on top of the bin this morning and it was already 80% full.

So called the Council and the women on customer services struggled to hide her delight at the chance to bash the bin company and said they would call me back.

So get a call and I was explaining to the bin company lady what had happened, in the conversation I mentioned I had put some bamboo in the bin the week before.

She then told me that I can't put bamboo in my garden waste bin. I say sorry I won't do it again (I will but it will be at the bottom of the bin :) )

Then I'm told that they won't come back as I put the wrong thing in the bin. I tell her that the binmen have taken the bamboo and left hedge trimmings in the bin, but she is having none of it. So I say ok as I really don't care that much given I have 2 of these bins.

Around 10 minutes later I'm at the front of the house reading an email from the council, confirming that I've committed a garden waste infraction and that if I want my bin emptying before the next scheduled collection there will be a fee.

Next thing back comes the bin lorry and empties my bin :D !

Just love Council incompetence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Garden Waste infraction! Splendid.

They'll be sending Robocop round next. Seriously though, bamboo? Why can't you put that in there and where does it say that anywhere?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamboo is too fucking strong, and tends to fuck up mulching machines.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 13:40 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

In my defence it was very thin stuff from the top of a bigger cane I harvested.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 13:41 

Our local recycling contract has changed hands. My friend is a really keen recycler and has all of the literature ever distributed about which kinds of plastic, etc etc.

Anyway, she put out her recycling as normal and it wasn't collected. Just a notice pasted to her bin saying that there were non recyclables inside.

After a lengthy call to the council it turned out to be due to there being black plastic food containers inside, which the old company recycled but the new one does not. By this wasn't told to *anyone*. Can you imagine the number of people that would have had those?

They are recyclable, but not cost effective to do so. Apparently they make meat look redder, but the cameras on the recycling machine find it hard to identify them.

Anyway, she was told she'd have to pay to have collections reinstated. She made quite the fuss and got this changed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 13:57 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think I'd give up on recycling if my council was like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 15:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

People seem strangely convinced that it's Thursday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 15:44 
Comfortably Dumb

Cras wrote:
People seem strangely convinced that it's Thursday.

When it's actually it's three-days-after-bin-day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 15:51 

Aha! BINS!
Now we're talking. Is Pundy around? :D

We got some bloody great sticker on our bin the other day, something along the lines of THERE WAS FOOD WASTE IN YOUR BIN; YOU ARE THEREFORE WORSE THAN HITLER. DO IT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE EUTHANISED

... I mean, really - food waste in a bin? Whatever next? How very outrageous I'm sure! (I gather we're supposed to be keeping some minging brown plastic slops bucket in the kitchen - yeah, that's really going to happen. Oh no)

Hopefully they'll find some other shite to get aerated about and this is just some initiative/phase. Me? I wish they'd get on top of stuff that actually matters, e.g. fly tipping twats dumping tonnes of shite in the beautiful countryside round here, instead of getting in a fucking tizz because traces of 4-day old Madeira cake were detected in a black wheelie bin. :roll:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 16:04 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My brother has a slop bucket and he was trying to tell me it was a good idea the other day. I was having none of it.

The small environmental savings that are made are surely destroyed by the massive truck that drives slowly round the street picking them up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 16:13 

TheVision wrote:
My brother has a slop bucket and he was trying to tell me it was a good idea the other day. I was having none of it.

The small environmental savings that are made are surely destroyed by the massive truck that drives slowly round the street picking them up.

Very likely, plus it's a minging, stinking hygiene hazard, both inside and out, especially with inquisitive cats/dogs/foxes/rats. Who wants a filthy repository of rotting food and liquids in their kitchen?

Not Mrs C, that's for sure. The Council are unwittingly taking on a formidable foe. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 16:22 
Hibernating Druid

Just heat it up.

Soup!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 16:25 

:D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 16:27 
Unpossible!

If it's likethe Vale Royal one, it's an airtight mini-bin. Quite smart actually. My mother in law keeps hers outside

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:43 
Sitting balls-back folder

Grim... wrote:

Bamboo is, and I won't apologise for my French given the problem the previous owners have left us with, a cunt.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:44 
Excellent Member

Cavey wrote:
Aha! BINS!
Now we're talking. Is Pundy around? :D

We got some bloody great sticker on our bin the other day, something along the lines of THERE WAS FOOD WASTE IN YOUR BIN; YOU ARE THEREFORE WORSE THAN HITLER. DO IT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE EUTHANISED

... I mean, really - food waste in a bin? Whatever next? How very outrageous I'm sure! (I gather we're supposed to be keeping some minging brown plastic slops bucket in the kitchen - yeah, that's really going to happen. Oh no)

Hopefully they'll find some other shite to get aerated about and this is just some initiative/phase. Me? I wish they'd get on top of stuff that actually matters, e.g. fly tipping twats dumping tonnes of shite in the beautiful countryside round here, instead of getting in a fucking tizz because traces of 4-day old Madeira cake were detected in a black wheelie bin. :roll:

Our Council have not tried that one yet, that said they are all different, the next council over to me still does weekly "throw all you shit in one bin collections"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:45 

Simply introduce some pandas and let nature take its course.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:46 
Excellent Member

BikNorton wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamboo is too fucking strong and tends to fuck up mulching machines.

Bamboo is, and I won't apologise for my French given the problem the previous owners have left us with, a cunt.

Whats the problem?

With mine, I make sure I cut it back and keep on top of it. I have a 2 lots, I'm sort of farming one patch and getting really good canes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:47 

Also, the council sent an expensive pamphlet to everyone explaining how it's fine that they're switching everyone to bins instead of bags now, and also switching to alternating green/general biweekly pickups because the bins mean the smells are kept in and animals out so that's fine and also that people that people who live, say, at the bottom of a wildlife-filled, bin-lorry-inaccessible lane will continue to use bags but now be on the stinky schedule anyway can fuck off OH NO WAIT THEY SOMEHOW GLOSSED OVER THAT BIT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:49 

asfish wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Whats the problem?

With mine, I make sure I cut it back and keep on top of it. I have a 2 lots, I'm sort of farming one patch and getting really good canes
the problem is when the previous owners didn't plant a clumping variety or install a barrier and then gave up digging up the rhisomes and now there is bamboo fucking everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:51 

BikNorton wrote:
asfish wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Whats the problem?

the problem is when the previous owners didn't plant a clumping variety or install a barrier and then gave up digging up the rhisomes and now there is bamboo fucking everywhere.

Oh my god that happened to me too!!!
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
in Animal Crossing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:52 

What does Animal.Crossing say to do?

Trapped in my home, send help please.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:53 
Gogmagog

I have to pay to get garden waste collected and use a permit to take stuff to the tip. The council are dicks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 18:54 

I have to.pay 80 quid to get rid of garden waste.

But the upside of living at the end of a single track lane is that fuck that shit, anything that doesn't compost goes in the incinerator.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 19:23 

BikNorton wrote:

I don't know. A dog with a sweatband came and sat on my bed and had an existential crisis, so I gave him some wallpaper as I watched my turnips go mushy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 19:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This thread is Beex at its best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 20:03 

Mimi wrote:
A dog with a sweatband came and sat on my bed and had an existential crisis, so I gave him some wallpaper as I watched my turnips go mushy.

Giphy "bravo!":
https://media4.giphy.com/media/xTiTnniYh3lfijfJra/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 20:29 

Mimi wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

I don't know. A dog with a sweatband came and sat on my bed and had an existential crisis, so I gave him some wallpaper as I watched my turnips go mushy.

Well we DO want a dog. I mean it seems like a long way around but if it's what works...

Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next