Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 1629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1915
Location: Kashyyyk
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Rule 25 followed.

My current record stands at 18x


Crikey. Good work.

I want to change the shifters on the boardman, as the current SRAM ones aren't as comfortable as Shimano's Rapid Fire Plus ( they are like orginal rapid fire, using thumb for up and down), and I need to sort out seatpost and saddle, as it isn't right at all. I don't think I can legitimately argue for a dropper right now, though, at £300. I might stick some bar ends on it, though. And the clipless pedals, they are important.

Get a brand x or a tranzx roughly £140 fitted! You have stealth holes in the frame?


Oh, super, thank you. I shall have a look. And for frame holes, too.


Couldn't see any frame holes.Went Stainburn this morning, rode into a tree after locking rear and sliding. Oops. At some point a couple of front chainring teeth have been chipped off, too. Still love it, really need to fit SPDs.

Something like this then
https://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/ks-e ... Ar7N8P8HAQ

I really can't ride off​ road with SPDs. I ride with a group and the guys in SPDs fall off at least 100% more.
Got out on the Roady for a couple hours last night which did wonders for my mental state :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 14:45 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
Took my planet x out on a 43 mile ride yesterday. Loved it.

Cant walk properly today and the 1 hr recovery ride hurt.

I think i need a new saddle, if my distances are getting longer.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:39 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44215
Location: West Yorkshire
First 'proper' ride today. On mile one I arrived here. Despite reading regularly about cars being pulled from the ford after being stuck, I rode through it anyway. And got stuck. Miles 1-16 were completed with wet feet. Aching quite a bit now, as it was a proper slog in places, due to my lack of match fitness.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:44 
User avatar
Excellent Painter

Joined: 30th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6532
Location: Behind you
MaliA wrote:
First 'proper' ride today. On mile one I arrived here. Despite reading regularly about cars being pulled from the ford after being stuck, I rode through it anyway. And got stuck. Miles 1-16 were completed with wet feet. Aching quite a bit now, as it was a proper slog in places, due to my lack of match fitness.

Get yourself some sealskinz socks.

I've been out riding recently. Put new boots on the bike that have made it much easier to ride in an urban environment. Obviously the scenery isn't anywhere near as pretty, but the roads are so awful I suspect the ride wasn't anymore comfortable than yours, even though I'm riding and Orange Pro ;)

_________________
twitter || website
Malibu Stacy. Everybody's favourite back seat driver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 19:47 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 3479
I was looking forward to a nice ride today, but have come down with a cold, so gave it a miss.
Off to watch the Redditch Tour event on Tuesday I think.
http://www.tourseries.co.uk/venues/redditch/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:37 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44215
Location: West Yorkshire
DBSnappa wrote:
MaliA wrote:
First 'proper' ride today. On mile one I arrived here. Despite reading regularly about cars being pulled from the ford after being stuck, I rode through it anyway. And got stuck. Miles 1-16 were completed with wet feet. Aching quite a bit now, as it was a proper slog in places, due to my lack of match fitness.

Get yourself some sealskinz socks.

I've been out riding recently. Put new boots on the bike that have made it much easier to ride in an urban environment. Obviously the scenery isn't anywhere near as pretty, but the roads are so awful I suspect the ride wasn't anymore comfortable than yours, even though I'm riding and Orange Pro ;)


Or use the bridge :)

I'd really like an Orange Pro, but Finance Controller might have other views on the matter. They are very popular around here. I met the Hope Technology guy, Woody, the other week. He was riding their new prototype enduro bike ("Probably around £7-8k, fully built"), and he was a really nice guy.

Yesterday's route is quite nice (Bingley and Harden Moor) , it gets all the climbing done at the start, and then it's mainly singletrack on the off road bits, linked by quiet roads. It follows the old pack horse trails that linked the mills. It'll keep you interested, and is a good route post work. Looking at strava, all the downhill off road bits were considerably quicker, which is the bike, not me.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:03 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44215
Location: West Yorkshire
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I was looking forward to a nice ride today, but have come down with a cold, so gave it a miss.
Off to watch the Redditch Tour event on Tuesday I think.
http://www.tourseries.co.uk/venues/redditch/


That looks excellent. Have I seen it on tv? I like criterium races, might take Hale to Otley races tbis year.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 15:41 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 3479
MaliA wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I was looking forward to a nice ride today, but have come down with a cold, so gave it a miss.
Off to watch the Redditch Tour event on Tuesday I think.
http://www.tourseries.co.uk/venues/redditch/


That looks excellent. Have I seen it on tv? I like criterium races, might take Hale to Otley races tbis year.


It's shown on ITV 4, normally a few days later. It's a nice format for new spectators to watch as there's enough variety in the fitness of the field so there's always someone coming past after a few laps. The redditch circuit is easy enough to ride in person and the steep hill is enough of a challenge on tired legs.

A few years ago there was a short race for teams from local businesses to have a go at in the afternoon, but we found out too late to enter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 16:58 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10957
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Some one stole my PK Ripper that my wife bought for me in parts :(

Image

I had it locked in the hallway but the guy in the flat above us came home really drunk and had a fist fight with his "mate". I was just listening to it but the woman in the top flat phoned the police, who came after the guy upstairs had gone and then left the door open :( so my '13 Ripper disappeared.

I phoned the insurance company who initially said they were not going to pay out because it was not locked "down" sorta thing and I burst into tears. They phoned me back a couple of hours later and said they would pay, yay !

So I decided to get another PK Ripper. As it happens it worked out well, because at the exact moment my bike was stolen the only Ripper available in the UK was the dog's balls version. A recreation of Mike Buff's 1980s bike.

Image

Sealed Skyways, Redline Flights etc.

Image

I changed a few things. Carbon post, Primo pedals and ODI Mushroom 2 ltd ed. Thing is, I never even rode it. It's still in the hallway awaiting final tweaks. What I wanted was a Quadangle like the one that was stolen from me in Brixton in '98. I got clonked over the head and it was gone. It looked a bit like this one.

Image

But was all red. I loved that bike as my grandfather bought me the F&F just before he passed away :(

So I decided to build another one in his honour. Started out by locating a frame and fork set from a 2007 (as it's Cro Mo so would hold my 18st ass)

Image

Arrived all the way from its spiritual home (CA) about a week later.

Image

And then over the space of three months I gradually bought all of the parts. Thanks to my wonderful wife and mother a chunk of it came as birthday presents and a bit of paint and powder and an awful lot of work later and, tadaaaa.

Image

Image

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 19:10 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14880
John Coffey! Hope you're well, apart from some cunt stealing your bike.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 21:21 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10957
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
markg wrote:
John Coffey! Hope you're well, apart from some cunt stealing your bike.


Thanks Mark you too matey :) you still flying? I really need to repair my Cougar.. Still sitting on shredded tyres haha.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44215
Location: West Yorkshire
Here's something not very interesting: Half mile downhill on single-track which gets moderately technical. In the steep bit, there's many step downs of a foot or more and it is all rocky.

130mm rear wheel travel and bigger wheels is worth a minute to me, compared to the 26 inch wheeled hardtail hoodoo.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:23 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
Ah another strava user :P

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 18:39 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10957
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Decided to ride about four miles. I would normally ride twice that but it was just too hot. Got off the road and headed to the beach path.

Image

Couple of miles later and I found this lovely little oasis.

Image

Image

Hazelnut coffee. Was really good as it goes.

Image

Quite a view.

Image

Image

Every time I ride this bike I fall in love with it a bit more. It's light, geared perfectly and probably the stiffest BMX I've ever ridden. It's incredibly responsive.

Image

Image

Decided to ride back pretty much standing the whole way. Regret it now. Hot coffee + hot sun + jogging bottoms and 2 miles does not = good haha.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 15:42 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1915
Location: Kashyyyk
Best intro to an instructional video ever





Sacred Royal Deer :metul:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:06 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10957
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
I have officially grown up. 2016 SE Racing Quadangle 24.

Image

Image

Image

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:39 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44215
Location: West Yorkshire
That's the same weight as my full suspension mtb!

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:40 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
MaliA wrote:
That's the same weight as my full suspension mtb!


Nearly twice the weight of my road bike

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:00 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10957
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
It's 13.65kg "stock". However mine isn't stock. I bought the frame, forks and brakes from the U.S.A and have used lighter parts all over than the stock SE parts. As an example those Araya copy wheels are half as wide as the ones that come on the bike and the tyres are half the size. So yeah, have shaved some weight off but it is a heavy frame. It's a replica of the 1979 Quadangle. The bike that basically invented BMX.

And there's a lot less to go wrong too.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:14 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14880
I really don't like cycling, I mean I don't mind riding bikes but any distance and it just doesn't really agree with me. I don't know why, I love running but cycling just annoys me. But I'm thinking that once our daughter is in primary school I might start commuting by bike, it's a nice route along the sea front where I only need to take to the road for two or three miles at the start/end. But due to the lack of any showers at work and also and my aforementioned dislike of pedalling a long way I was thinking of one of them there e-bike conversion kits. Does anyone have any experience with them?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:25 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
JohnCoffey wrote:
It's 13.65kg "stock". However mine isn't stock. I bought the frame, forks and brakes from the U.S.A and have used lighter parts all over than the stock SE parts. As an example those Araya copy wheels are half as wide as the ones that come on the bike and the tyres are half the size. So yeah, have shaved some weight off but it is a heavy frame. It's a replica of the 1979 Quadangle. The bike that basically invented BMX.

And there's a lot less to go wrong too.


If a bike is serviced properly, there is less to go wrong....

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10957
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
KovacsC wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
It's 13.65kg "stock". However mine isn't stock. I bought the frame, forks and brakes from the U.S.A and have used lighter parts all over than the stock SE parts. As an example those Araya copy wheels are half as wide as the ones that come on the bike and the tyres are half the size. So yeah, have shaved some weight off but it is a heavy frame. It's a replica of the 1979 Quadangle. The bike that basically invented BMX.

And there's a lot less to go wrong too.


If a bike is serviced properly, there is less to go wrong....


Yup and there is far more to service on a bike with gears. I never could get my head around tuning gears. And when they are not right it's horrible. Clicking, skipping, jumping chain etc.

Going back to the weight thing. I don't like light bikes. I've got an Alu bike here, and I don't like how firstly it feels like you are riding on air but I don't like how most of the shock from going over bumps etc all seems to go into your wrist. I don't like suspension bikes, so yeah, prefer a good 4130 for riding. Tis not like I'm flying through the air or anything daft like I used to.

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:49 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 65271
Location: Your Mum
KovacsC wrote:
If a bike is serviced properly, there is less to go wrong....

Wait, that's not even sort-of true.

Unless you remove stuff from your bike as part of the service :)

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 13:42 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1915
Location: Kashyyyk
markg wrote:
I really don't like cycling, I mean I don't mind riding bikes but any distance and it just doesn't really agree with me. I don't know why, I love running but cycling just annoys me. But I'm thinking that once our daughter is in primary school I might start commuting by bike, it's a nice route along the sea front where I only need to take to the road for two or three miles at the start/end. But due to the lack of any showers at work and also and my aforementioned dislike of pedalling a long way I was thinking of one of them there e-bike conversion kits. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Yes, they're awkward and fiddly. Buy a Bosch motored forme or Peugeot or something for £1200 on the cycle to work scheme.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 13:48 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
Grim... wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
If a bike is serviced properly, there is less to go wrong....

Wait, that's not even sort-of true.

Unless you remove stuff from your bike as part of the service :)



Less likely to go wrong then :P

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 13:49 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
JohnCoffey wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
It's 13.65kg "stock". However mine isn't stock. I bought the frame, forks and brakes from the U.S.A and have used lighter parts all over than the stock SE parts. As an example those Araya copy wheels are half as wide as the ones that come on the bike and the tyres are half the size. So yeah, have shaved some weight off but it is a heavy frame. It's a replica of the 1979 Quadangle. The bike that basically invented BMX.

And there's a lot less to go wrong too.


If a bike is serviced properly, there is less to go wrong....


Yup and there is far more to service on a bike with gears. I never could get my head around tuning gears. And when they are not right it's horrible. Clicking, skipping, jumping chain etc.

Going back to the weight thing. I don't like light bikes. I've got an Alu bike here, and I don't like how firstly it feels like you are riding on air but I don't like how most of the shock from going over bumps etc all seems to go into your wrist. I don't like suspension bikes, so yeah, prefer a good 4130 for riding. Tis not like I'm flying through the air or anything daft like I used to.


You really don't want to try a carbon frame then :P

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 14:51 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10957
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
Never ridden a carbon frame. But yeah, alu bikes just feel weird. It's not just the shock to your wrists and hands either, your arse seems to take a pounding too. I rode a alu BMX a couple of years back and really didn't like it at all.

I could have bought an alu cruiser (So Cal Flyer) but yeah, decided on 4130. Got the sussy post to give my arse a break :D

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 15:09 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44315
Location: The erogenous zone
JohnCoffey wrote:
Got the pussy post to give my arse a break :D

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 17:12 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10957
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
walked straight into that one, didn't I? :facepalm:

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 17:13 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14880
krazywookie wrote:
markg wrote:
I really don't like cycling, I mean I don't mind riding bikes but any distance and it just doesn't really agree with me. I don't know why, I love running but cycling just annoys me. But I'm thinking that once our daughter is in primary school I might start commuting by bike, it's a nice route along the sea front where I only need to take to the road for two or three miles at the start/end. But due to the lack of any showers at work and also and my aforementioned dislike of pedalling a long way I was thinking of one of them there e-bike conversion kits. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Yes, they're awkward and fiddly. Buy a Bosch motored forme or Peugeot or something for £1200 on the cycle to work scheme.

I don't mind fiddly so much if it works in the end. But I've just done a bit of reading up on forums and it seems that there's some pretty reliable options out there. Really fancy the idea the more I think about it, if only to see how much it upsets all the bike nerds at work. Something to think about anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 18:15 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 2262
MarkG, I was looking into bike to work options lately after my folding bike folded terminally.

If you're feeling spendy, you'll look the coolest dude in town on this:

A Bike

Or if you're spending less, I don't see a single thing wrong with this:

Zoooooom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 20:16 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 3125
Location: , Location, Location.
Instead of buying a bike, you could move to Manchester and just hire a mobike whenever you need one, although they are having some teething problems. (The geeezer who posted this doesn't know how to spell Ancoats.)
Image

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 20:35 
User avatar
Excellent Painter

Joined: 30th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6532
Location: Behind you
KovacsC wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
It's 13.65kg "stock". However mine isn't stock. I bought the frame, forks and brakes from the U.S.A and have used lighter parts all over than the stock SE parts. As an example those Araya copy wheels are half as wide as the ones that come on the bike and the tyres are half the size. So yeah, have shaved some weight off but it is a heavy frame. It's a replica of the 1979 Quadangle. The bike that basically invented BMX.

And there's a lot less to go wrong too.


If a bike is serviced properly, there is less to go wrong....


Yup and there is far more to service on a bike with gears. I never could get my head around tuning gears. And when they are not right it's horrible. Clicking, skipping, jumping chain etc.

Going back to the weight thing. I don't like light bikes. I've got an Alu bike here, and I don't like how firstly it feels like you are riding on air but I don't like how most of the shock from going over bumps etc all seems to go into your wrist. I don't like suspension bikes, so yeah, prefer a good 4130 for riding. Tis not like I'm flying through the air or anything daft like I used to.


You really don't want to try a carbon frame then :P

Carbon fibre should be more flexible than aluminium, it is effectively a plastic. The carbon fibre xc mountain bike I used to own was a lot more comfortable than any aluminium hardtail I ever rode.

_________________
twitter || website
Malibu Stacy. Everybody's favourite back seat driver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 20:38 
User avatar
Excellent Painter

Joined: 30th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6532
Location: Behind you
JohnCoffey wrote:
It's 13.65kg "stock". However mine isn't stock. I bought the frame, forks and brakes from the U.S.A and have used lighter parts all over than the stock SE parts. As an example those Araya copy wheels are half as wide as the ones that come on the bike and the tyres are half the size. So yeah, have shaved some weight off but it is a heavy frame. It's a replica of the 1979 Quadangle. The bike that basically invented BMX.

And there's a lot less to go wrong too.


I always found a heavier bike easier to control when airborne; lightweight bikes a lot more twitchy.

_________________
twitter || website
Malibu Stacy. Everybody's favourite back seat driver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 23:12 
User avatar
Esoteric

Joined: 12th Dec, 2008
Posts: 10957
Location: On Mars as an anthropologist...
DBSnappa wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
It's 13.65kg "stock". However mine isn't stock. I bought the frame, forks and brakes from the U.S.A and have used lighter parts all over than the stock SE parts. As an example those Araya copy wheels are half as wide as the ones that come on the bike and the tyres are half the size. So yeah, have shaved some weight off but it is a heavy frame. It's a replica of the 1979 Quadangle. The bike that basically invented BMX.

And there's a lot less to go wrong too.


I always found a heavier bike easier to control when airborne; lightweight bikes a lot more twitchy.


Funny you say that. When I rode street during the 1990s I had a Standard STA. I'm serious man, this bike was like a motorbike. It weighed nearly 50 lbs.

Image

That was it there. That was my gap bike (dropping off walls, transitioning etc) and it was like an ox. It had to carry me, and I was about 14 stone back then.

LOL have a look at the dropouts.

Image

Tank :D

_________________
I reject your context and reality, and substitute my own.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:39 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14880
Ordered this motorbike just now:

Image

Not as pretty as the other one I was looking at but I don't really need a mountain bike with suspension forks etc. This is a lot more suited to what I want it for, has a bigger battery and a stronger motor, should be capable of 40-50 miles even if I can't be fucked with really pedalling. Arrives Tuesday, can't wait!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:40 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34271
And a luggage rack!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 14:48 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14880
Yeah, that's one of the things that I figured I would probably have ended up getting for the other one anyway. I'll have a laptop sometimes, perhaps different shoes, hefty bike lock etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:01 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 65271
Location: Your Mum
How much does it weigh?

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14880
24KG so you wouldn't really want to be carrying it up a flight of stairs every day anywhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 21:38 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 65271
Location: Your Mum
Or peddling it if the battery goes flat.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 21:15 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14880
It arrived earlier so I just got it all set up and had a quick spin. Love it, smooth on those big chunky tyres and even on the low assist setting it's pretty effortless and on the higher settings you're doing basically nothing. Not as bad to pedal with no power as I'd thought it might be either. Off to work on it in the morning, can't wait.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34271
Does it make a milk float noise?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44315
Location: The erogenous zone
Did you get to work?

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14880
Yeah loved it! Pretty much stayed at 20mph or so on the flat parts, which is a decent enough clip on a bike and for most of the time the motor wasn't really doing anything. Although it's a heavy bike once it's up to speed you can switch to pedal power and it's not hard at all to keep it going with just your legs.

Mostly used the motor for pulling away from lights, keeping the same speed up the few shallow hills I encounter or cycling into headwinds. I think riding it like this I'll probably be charging it only once a week or so. So I arrived at work feeling like I'd had a bit of exercise but hadn't broken a sweat which was exactly what I was after really. I'll easily be able to cycle home and get there feeling just nicely warmed up for a run.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:12 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44215
Location: West Yorkshire
Super!

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34271
Does it drive the sprocket, or straight to the back wheel?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 5379
Cool! Does it have regenerative what ever so you can get electricity back when you go down hills?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:23 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14880
DavPaz wrote:
Does it drive the sprocket, or straight to the back wheel?
This one's a hub motor driving the rear wheel directly. Which is the simplest type of setup but also has some advantages in terms of longevity of the other components since it's not putting all the torque through the chain and gears. The disadvantage is that it's not ideal for very hilly places since the motor can't benefit from the gearing to stay in it's ideal rpm range.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44315
Location: The erogenous zone
Nice one. Look forward to you adding more LiPos / LEDs :D

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 1629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 33  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lonewolves, The Greys, “Fun”Sally and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.