Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How did you meet your less nerdy half?
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Let's make like that bit from When Harry Met Sally (not that bit).

I met Mrs Grim... in a bus stop - specifically a school bus stop.

Wait, it gets less creepy!

I was a student at said school, as was she. I said "morning" to her, because that's what you do when there's only about fifty people in a five mile radius. This, apparently, was all it took.

Being an oblivious male I had no idea she wanted SOME OF DIS RIGHT HE-ARE and merrily exchanged pleasantries with her for about three years before she got old enough to start coming to the pub and we spent a bit more time together and we eventually went on a date.

As I've mentioned before, all I really knew about her is that she was a bit posh and she liked 70s disco (like Abba and the Bee Gees and all that). So I took her to see Boogie Nights.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
That film is not about disco dancing at all!

Post subject: Re: How did you meet your less nerdy half?
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 
Gogmagog

MrsA lived with a colleague of mine. She didn't speak to me for three years.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Romantically lived with?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:30 
Gogmagog

No, we're married.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:30 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Romantically lived with?

No, houseshare

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:31 
Hibernating Druid

Mrs Z worked with an old friend of mine. I was back from Uni for a holiday and met up with him he introduced me to her and her friend and she fell madly in love with me.

She then tricked me into marrying her for over a decade.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
Mrs Z worked with an old friend of mine. I was back from Uni for a holiday and met up with him he introduced me to her and her friend and she fell madly in love with me.

What happens in year 11?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:39 
Hibernating Druid

Babies happened.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

What happens in year 11?

The ritual will be complete.

The merge of their bodies as they become one flesh will shatter bones and spill blood, hastening His waking.

As the fires start and brother turns against brother the crows shall fall from the sky and the insects shall rise for the earth to devour them.

He is the B̿ringer of Darkness, the Keeper of Hate, the Shattering of Mankind.

He shall return to walk among the l̈͌ȃ̂̔ͭmbs and grow only stronger as they writhe in pain at his very glance.

Hi͚̹͚s is The Cleansing, Hisͯͤ͗ is The Power, His is T͓̙̰̳̤͕̿ͧ̓̚h̉̃̉ͧ͋͐͒̒͏͇͖̜̘͎͚͚e Eart̟̠̋̌͒ͨͭ̚h͎̰͓̖̣͚̖͖̿.

Ĥ̗̣̖̬̲̗̪ͭ̚E͕̟͇̣̞̺ ̞͐͂͊͒͂̚͞C̪͇̠̳͙̪̖̙̄̈́ͣ̏̍̏ͣ͘Ő̉ͪ̔̍̂ͦ͏͓̖̝M̸͖͕͚͔͙͖̟ͫ̐̽͒ͨ͟Ȩͬ̐ͥ͒̉̆̍҉͕̦͉̫̕S͍̘̲͎͇̮͈̪͖̱̖̪̭͆ͣ̉̋̏ͅͅ

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh yeah, that's what I meant.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:48 
Excellent Member

I was having lunch on the university canteen with an ex-girlfriend when she said to me "damn, that girl in the queue is really gorgeous, isn't she?".

She was right, and this is just the beginning of the story. Next chapter: Stalking on mIRC.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 
UltraMod

OKCupid. We chatted for about a week then arranged a date, then decided it was too long to wait so brought it forward a week. Then realised it was 14th Feb.

But instead of making it awkward we just leaned into it and had what could be considered the worst date imaginable by any objective metric, but luckily enjoyed each other's company so much we didn't care.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:53 
Unpossible!

I was in the university library with my sister's boyrfriend (he was also a student) and we were on the old Yahoo Chat rooms. Yankee Dave (for that was his name as he was american) was chatting to a girl who as it turned out was in the very same library, 2 floors above. He, being a bit of a tool, decided to get my awkward, pale, IT student ass laid, so he went upstairs to talk to the girl and try and get her to talk to me. IT WORKED. We agreed to meet later in the SU bar for drinks and stuff.

Later on, the girl walked in with a mate (for security and an escape route if needed. Very sensible). We chatted for a while and the mate left. I later found out the the mate's first impression of me was not favourable, and I don't blame her. I was a dweeb. Anyway, the night progressed and we got along quite well, swapping stories and departing with a little kiss. It was nice, but I was (as previously mentioned) a dweeb and didn't push for anything more. A few days later, I saw the girl with another guy and was heartbroken*.

Time passed as it has a habit of doing, and I became more worldly, whetting my whistle with other fine females and sowing my oats far and wide**. It was my 21st birthday. I was drunk on Guinness and Whiskey. I had my mojo working and was looking for love***. Who should walk into my life student union, but a vision of the past... a memory of that magical night... an echo of the missed opportunity from years past. That's right! The Friend! You remember, the one that thought I was "a sweaty nerd". Well, I was no longer just a sweaty nerd, I was now a drunk sweaty nerd! I swooped upon her and gave her a blast of the old Paz charm, which consisted of me slurring "I remember you! You're fit! I never noticed before!"

Well, dear reader, somehow that re-connection made an impression as we ended up together. Not that night, obvs. The only thing I got together with that night was a chicken kebab and a hallway carpet. But later, much later, I took her as my wife.

So, learn from me. Follow your dreams. Reach for the stars. And if Abdul asks if you want special sauce on your kebab... say YES!

* not really, but I was a bit disappointed.
** not very far and quite narrow, but you get the idea.
*** ("Love" - Ed)

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hahahaha amazing!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:56 
UltraMod

So you're married to Yankee Dave? I'm so confused

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:01 
EvilTrousers

I met my future wife when I was still with my ex-wife but was having an affair with someone else at the same office as my future wife.

That sounds quite bad doesn't it? Allow me to try and make myself come off slightly less badly.

I got on really well with the future Mrs T (FMT) and we ended up sitting on a desk pod with 4 of us where we had a really good laugh and still stay in touch now but it was entirely a social thing rather than any kind of real chemistry between us. I ended up having an affair with someone else from the office thanks to many complicated reasons but the main one being that I was a selfish insecure fucker who hadn't really dealt with any proper issues about my marriage from my past and didn't consider the consequences of my actions fully.

The affair ended, FMT left the business and my marriage came to an end. All in all a pretty crappy time.

Then one day FMT messaged me to let me know her bloke had walked out on her and we stayed in contact for a few months just having slightly saucy banter over text which seemed to escalate so I then asked her out thinking she would say no because of the age gap (14 years) but she agreed and how we're getting married next year.

It was her idea for me to have a games room so there's no way I am not marrying her.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:06 
Unpossible!

She's 14 years older than you?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:06 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
So you're married to Yankee Dave? I'm so confused

No, he's my side chick

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:12 
Master of dodgy spelling....

What is a side chick?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:17 
Unpossible!

KovacsC wrote:
What is a side chick?

Attachment:
sidechick.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:19 
EvilTrousers

DavPaz wrote:
She's 14 years older than you?

Only mentally.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:19 
Hibernating Druid

Trousers wrote:
I met my future wife when I was still with my ex-wife but was having an affair with someone else at the same office as my future wife.

Beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 
Hello Hello Hello

I like DavPaz's story.

Trousers' is about as classy as one would expect.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:22 

DavPaz wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
What is a side chick?

Attachment:
sidechick.jpg

ha ha

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:24 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
What is a side chick?

It' the girl you chat to when drinking your canteen of Updog.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:25 

Currently single. I used OKcupid for a bit and had several dates (and even some second dates...and on one occasion even more). I didn't really take to talking online and closed the account once the active pool felt empty, and I don't want to use other apps because I'm not really just after ['instant coffee' - Ed.]. Meeting people in real life, through organisations for instance, feels more natural and had several dates as a result but nothing serious. Yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:37 
Sleepyhead

I love music festivals, especially Glastonbury. I also love the Internet, especially message boards.

So, naturally, our story begins on an Internet message board about Glastonbury. I had been on there a bit, mostly lurking but posting a little, and then it turned out that as Glastonbury 2003 was approaching, there would be a meet up of people at the Tattershall Castle (not a real castle, but a static boat on the Thames). I attended semi-reluctantly, but my sister was also a board member and had said she had fun with some of these people she had met before. Plus we had tickets to go see OK Go that evening so we wouldn't be stuck with the nerds if they were too nerdy.

At some point in the evening, my sister said, "Maria, this is my brother Andy. He's loaded. He'll buy you a drink!"

I was earning about £26k, in London, but I guess that compares well to being an impoverished student.

Anyway, we hit it off a bit, before I left to go to the gig. We stayed in contact and I was more active on the forum. Then at Glastonbury we met up a few times and had fun, before fate intervened in the form of a load of Class As. Intending to meet up with me, the future Mrs Curiosity got spangled off her face and ended up getting off with another member of our group, who she proceeded to date for the next three months. Doh!

Eventually, however, she got dumped, and came to visit me in London. We wandered around the city, had food, had booze, and went to the Comedy Store. We then both pretended that there were no trains back to Brighton (where she lived), so I let her stay at mine for the night. *ahem*

Despite being a terrible boyfriend, fiancé and husband, we're still together 13.5 years later. Gosh.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I wanna hear Warhead talking about the debutante ball where he met Mrs Warhead.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:58 
Hello Hello Hello

As per here - viewtopic.php?p=951562#p951562

Quote:
It was videogames that kind of brought us together in the first place, playing Streets Of Rage into the small hours of the morning in our shit student house in Manchester, whilst my girlfriend of the time was out cheating on me with her fiancé.

So there we were, with me thinking 'She's well fit and my current relationship is a disaster zone, but I'm going to look like a twat if I make a move on her when I've got a girlfriend, and I don't think she likes me like that anyway.'

As I found out later, Mrs Hearthly was there thinking, 'I really like him but he's already got a girlfriend and I don't think he'd go for me anyway, so I won't do anything'.

As such mutual desire and frustration were played out with some serious co-op beatdowns on the mean Streets of Rage.

The end of that story is that I moved out of the student house not long after, after my relationship with my girlfriend entered a seriously toxic phase.

(She basically raped me one night after getting home from a night out completely hammered, I was in bed and fast asleep, she woke me up by sitting astride me naked, I always sleep naked and I'm like 'No way I'm not in the mood and you've been out with him anyway, piss off' sort of thing, and all she'd do was say stuff like 'I want to fuck' whilst swinging her tits at me and my TRAITOR COCK cracked out into a stiffy and she shagged me whilst I'm saying 'I don't want to do this'. When she'd satisfied herself (I hadn't come) she got off me and fucked off to the kitchen to get something to eat. It wasn't very pleasant. I have a horrible feeling she'd shagged her fiancé prior to coming back to our house and like, hadn't even had a wash or anything so there was probably still his spunk up there, and we weren't using condoms 'cause she was on the pill.)

So one night when she was out cheating on me again, I got my dad to do an emergency rescue raid, so he drove down and we chucked all my stuff in the back of his gas van and I moved home. The student house was empty that night as the Future Mrs Hearthly (FMH, I like Trousers' abbreviation) was out too, and Crazy Cheryl (the other occupant of the house) was at her boyfriend's - as such it was a clean getaway.

(I was studying at Manchester Uni, the student house was just south of Central Manchester, my dad's house is in North Manchester, so easily doable for Uni on the Metrolink.)

The only problem with this was I completely lost contact with FMH, this was 1994 so no mobiles, email, Facebook or anything like that, and the student house didn't have a phone in it either. (Well it did, but the bill hadn't been paid so it got cut off.)

Unbelievably my 'relationship' with my girlfriend actually lurched on for another month or so, although I was basically being used as a booty call which did wonders for my mental wellbeing and self-esteem.

The student house situation collapsed completely after I left and everyone moved out, FMH and my 'girlfriend' to the same halls of residence. (Crazy Cheryl went to a different student house with other friends.)

One night I went round to the halls of residence to deliver my on-call sex service, but my girlfriend was out (with 'him'), so on a whim I asked the porter guy to ring through to FMH's room, who was in and said she'd go to the bar with me. We spent the whole night together and got on really well, talking happily for hours, she said she'd missed me after I'd moved out of the student house and I said I felt the same way about her, but even despite all this, nothing happened because I was technically still going out with my girlfriend, so at the end of the evening I went home without us having so much as hugged or kissed but with a sort of 'It'd be lovely to see you again'.

A couple of weeks later my girlfriend finally dumped me completely, and amazingly I tried to argue that it didn't have to be over. (I was all kinds of fucked up back then.) But the dumping was delivered and that was that.

Within a couple of days I was feeling perkier if a bit emotionally dinged up, and realised very quickly that I was much better off. Deciding that POSITIVE ACTION was required I rang up the halls of residence, got put through to Mrs H's room and asked her if she'd like to go out with me for a drink, to which the answer was yes. (There were loads of pubs and clubs to choose from at the time, we liked the same music so would go to The Stomp together and stuff like that.)

So we went out a couple of times for drinks, I lent her my SNES and we played games in her room, and listened to music together and went shopping and all sorts of nice cosy things, after a few days I MADE MY BIG MOVE on her and we had a first kiss. That was 1994. We got married in 1998, so it'll be our twentieth wedding anniversary next year.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 
UltraMod

That's a great story. It's amazing how we can't see how bad some relationships are for us until we finally meet the right people.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
That's a great story. It's amazing how we can't see how bad some relationships are for us until we finally meet the right people.

And me.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:09 
Isn't that lovely?

I was working in the 2nd internet cafe to open in London (the first was called Cyberia, near the Telecom Tower, the 2nd was called Cafe Internet, on Buckingham Palace Road)

I fancied one of the cafe staff, but she did not fancy me (I mentioned her in the nay thread, where she was killed with her children by her partner last year)

I was talking to another member of staff when my future wife, came over to us and asked me to the cinema after work, she had intended to ask just me, but we both thought she was asking both of us.

At some point, during the film, the other guy went to the loo, at that point my future wife kissed me and told me she'd not meant for the other guy to come, she'd just wanted to invite me. She asked me if I wanted to go cycling in Epping Forrest that weekend. I said yes!

I lived in Westminster, she lived in Leytonstone (both in London), the plan was for me to cycle to her flat, and then we would cycle on to the forrest with a picnic.

When I got to her flat, I was exhausted, I had caught a stinking cold, and it had really taken it out of me, so we stayed in her flat listening to 60s records and drinking wine.

We dated for a couple of months, and then she decided to go to Moscow for 6 months!

I felt sure that it was over, however, I spoke to her on the phone at least once a week, and we continued dating once she was back, moving in together shortly before our eldest was born a couple of years later.

So that first date was in November 1995, almost 22 years ago, and we've been living together since May 1998, 19 years!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Lonewolves wrote:

I should note that it wasn't the perfect relationship was from day one. At the time I was a hopeless fruit machine addict with a drink and drugs problem, Mrs H's anxiety and depression were in full swing but at that time undiagnosed, (which she was self-medicating with alcohol, and a bit later on, drugs), so we certainly had plenty of 'challenges' to work through.

Got there in the end though. I think at the core of us both getting better was the fact we truly and deeply cared for, and loved each other, which eventually won out over all the shit.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:32 
Unpossible!

This right here, this is real life. :hug:

Giphy "real life":
http://media1.giphy.com/media/w1V7MfcGNALxm/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:32 
Unpossible!

What the fuck, giphy??

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:33 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

And me.

Not talking to you for three years sounds like bliss.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
That's a great story.

Apart from the bit where he got raped, and all.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
What the fuck, giphy??

Fucking incredible gif tho

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:00 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
What the fuck, giphy??

Fucking incredible gif tho

No doubt.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:03 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
That's a great storyending to a horrible story.

Apart from the bit where he got raped, and all.

True. Fixed.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:32 
sneering elitist

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to take part because Gaz is arguably my more nerdy half (and you probably all know the story anyway?) but...

In April 2014 I started seeing a counsellor because I was ANGRY ALL THE TIME and my then partner (dickhead) had convinced me it was because of history and shit and that I just needed to talk about it and everything would be OK. May 5th, I went to see counselling man for the 4th or 5th time and told him I was STILL ANGRY. He asked why and at first I couldn't pinpoint a reason but then I randomly just started talking about the way dickhead loaded the dishwasher.

I got home after the session, later that day I'm unloading the dishwasher and I start getting angry again so I tell dickhead he has to leave.

May 9th, with a little Russian courage (Smirnoff) I sign up to OKCupid with the intention of having casual sex with anyone vaguely interesting/attractive. Send a few messages, dick about on the Internet, put off going to bed a couple of times but circa midnight-1am I'm getting drowsy... just before switching off I happen upon Gaz's profile and it makes me laugh. Something about web developers doing all the hard work on websites and getting none of the credit, or whatever. I send him a message.

Over the weekend we are messaging back and forth and then he goes quiet. He's seen my message - OKCupid tells you this - but doesn't reply. I panic, think that he's been scared off, so do the completely rational, sensible thing and start sending him messages.. Are you OK? Have I offended you? Sorry if I said too much!

Turns out he'd been on the road all day.

So anyway, despite looking like a desperate nutcase, we arrange to meet up for a "not date" on the 16th May. Gaz picks me up, I panic and can't find my house keys. Spend 10 minutes running round the house getting increasingly more flustered and panicky, until I realise that the keys were on the sofa right where I'd been sat the whole time (I'd literally lined things up ready to go).

Not date goes well, we eat and laugh, it's getting late... we go back to his place, laugh laugh laugh. Gaz goes into the kitchen to pour me a glass of wine, then comes back and sits next to me on the sofa, putting his arm behind me (but not actually touching me) and asks if it's OK. Not wanting the whole night to go that slowly I did the only thing I could think of: straddled him and snogged his face off.

Mr "doesn't want anything serious" and Ms "just wanted sex" hit it off and fell in love. Aww. We married on the 16th May last year and celebrate our anniversary next week.

Oh, and he loads the dishwasher perfectly. :luv: :kiss:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

How did Dickhead load the dishwasher?

That is fab.. x

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:39 

Grim... wrote:
Thanks.

Not you :P

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:43 

Quite a heart warming thread...

*cry's in my coffee*

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:43 
sneering elitist

Grim... wrote:
How did Dickhead load the dishwasher?

Well, mostly he never loaded it unless I nagged, but the thing that really pissed me off was the way he loaded cutlery into the basket. He'd mix everything up, some things pointing down, some pointing up. He'd put sharp knives in with it all and sometimes left them blade up. It's just fucking wrong. >:( >:( >:( >:(

The correct way to load cutlery - sharp knives blade down in the back of the basket, everything else useful end up in their own part of the basket (preferably in knife, fork, big spoon, little spoon order). You can then take each thing out in one handful and place it neatly in the drawer. Efficient and safe.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:44 

KovacsC wrote:
Quite a heart warming thread...

This!

Quote:
*cries in my coffee*

This!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:44 
Comfortably Dumb

*noses around OKCupid*
Attachment:
dm.PNG

I do like their username suggesting thing

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:45 
sneering elitist

I particularly like devilmanasaurus.

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next