Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: iRacing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 16:03 
UltraMod

As we approach the Easter break where NASCAR traditionally doesn't have a race, I thought I'd give you an update on how my season in the officially-sanctioned NASCAR iRacing Series is going.

Week 1 - Daytona 500 @ Daytona International Speedway (200 laps, 500 miles)

Qualified: 1
Race finish: 7

Got pole in the first and most prestigious race of the year. Led 70 laps including the first 50. Was on course for a top 5 and potentially even a win, but sadly I made a mess of my last pit stop, colliding with my teammate as we both went into the pits too hot. Ended up with a speeding penalty and had to settle for 7th.

Week 2 - Folds of Honor QuikTrip 250 @ Atlanta Motor Speedway (167 laps, 250 miles)

Q: 13
R: 16

Struggled in qualifying, but made good progress throughout the race, despite becoming a car magnet for much of it. Luckily even though I wasn't able to avoid car contact for a lot of the race, I didn't really incur much damage. However, my luck ran out on the final restart in P6 with 3 laps to go when the outside line checked up and we all collided in a concertina effect. I was disqualified from the race for too many incident points and finished 16th.

Week 3 - Kobalt 200 @ Las Vegas Motor Speedway (134 laps, 200 miles)

Q: 5
R: 15

Happy with qualifying 5th. Sadly I had early contact with someone on lap 5 and this put me down to 10th or so. Then on lap 48 my internet took a shit and I got disconnected from the server. Ended up 15th - a race to forget.

Week 4 - Camping World 250 @ Phoenix International Raceway (156 laps, 156 miles)

Q: 2
R: 19

Despite my disappointing start to the season I went into the race at Phoenix in good spirits as it was the first short track of the season and I seem to favour those. Put the car on the front row and led 24 laps, avoiding the cautions up until 30 laps to go. Then a backmarker decides to stay out on old tyres, putting me back in 3rd for the restart. The outcome was predictable: he spun up his tyres on the restart, hooked left and dumped me into the inside wall. Engine blown and race over.

Week 5 - Auto Club 200 @ Auto Club Speedway (100 laps, 200 miles)

Q: 20
R: 29

The nadir of my season so far. Not a track I'm particularly fond of, lots of car contact and cautions. Ended up trying to manage a car with damage for most of it, before going for a spin all by myself and destroying the engine. Basically my season up until this point has been quite shit.

Week 6 - STP 250 @ Martinsville Speedway (250 laps, 250 miles)

Q: 19
R: 4

By this point I was starting to question whether I wanted to continue in this series. A combination of my own errors, plus poor driving standards of others and a bit of bad luck had put me into a position where I'd gained one top 10 finish in five races (and that race was disappointing in itself for not being a win!). However iRacing put out a patch which tweaked the car's physics and coupled with another short track this propelled me to a top 5 finish for the first time this season! I really felt the car was under me during this race. Maybe I've turned a corner here!

Week 7 - O'Reilly Auto Parts 250 @ Texas Motor Speedway (167 laps, 250 miles)

Q: 5
R: 3

Ok, my season is back on track! I was provided a great setup by my team and it showed - we finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in this race. The winner was a teammate of NASCAR Peak Antifreeze Series competitor Matt Bussa, so no shame finishing behind him. This is after being punted by a notoriously aggressive backmarker and dropping from 2nd to 16th! I went full tilt after this and got myself back up to 4th with ten laps to go. My spotter was getting a bit nervous by this point, and I don't blame him - I was pretty pissed off and being quite aggressive. To top the race off, I managed a last lap pass on my teammate to snatch 3rd - I got a better exit coming out of T4 and outdragged him to the line! My best result and performance of the season by far.

As for the standings, this currently leaves me 29th out of 438 drivers in Division 3 (272nd of 2077 overall). My aim is to finish top 10 in my division and in the top 100 overall, so I've got some work to do. Hopefully my last two finishes will become the norm and I can rise up the championship tables! Anyway, thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 16:25 
Gogmagog

I enjoyed reading that. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 17:45 

MaliA wrote:
I enjoyed reading that. Thank you.

:this:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:31 
UltraMod

So, it's the 24 Hours of Nürburgring kicking off at 2pm today. My team is running the Porsche 911 (991.2) GT3 Cup in this multiclass race. Been practicing for weeks but still don't feel ready for the Green Hell. I've got two double stints - one is starting at 19:45 tonight and then another at 06:35 tomorrow morning.

It's the combined 24h circuit which is a smidge under 25km, 170 corners. Each stint will be 8 or 9 laps depending on fuel burn. Wish me luck (I'm going to need it).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:48 
Hibernating Druid

Good luck! (Getting up tomorrow)

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:52 
Sleepyhead

Just get drunk and see how many you can take out at the first corner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 0:22 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Just get drunk and see how many you can take out at the first corner.

This isn't you playing Forza.

First stint went ok. Struggled for pace initially, balance of the car didn't feel right and I was getting some lag issues. However I kept the car in good shape and made some brake bias adjustments which brought the car back to me. Got out of the car in P6 in our class, P8 overall.

Time to get my head down for a bit before the early breakfast shift!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 
UltraMod

Got up at 6 to find out we had made it up to P3 in class (P5 overall) overnight, but then our fastest driver had equipment failure (computer crashed) so we had to get a 6 min tow. Then our engineer had to get in the car and run an almost-full double stint as all the drivers were asleep!

One of our other driver has woken up with a sickness bug and is currently bravely trying to complete one more stint. Then it's me until midday.

We've dropped to 6th in class (9th overall) with just under 7 hours left.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Christ, what a nightmare.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 17:59 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Christ, what a nightmare.

Good luck!

It got worse. I crashed into the barriers twice and needed repairs each time - the Nordschleife is pretty unforgiving when you've had five hours sleep. :( We recovered well to finish 14th overall and 7th in class out of 58 and 18 respectively, but it was definitely a learning experience for me. I still didn't feel like I knew the track well enough until my second stint. More practice needed next year.

24 Heures du Mans next! We're driving the old GT1 class Chevrolet Corvette C6.R, which is not an easy car to drive. Great top speed though, which is what you need at Le Mans.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 20:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is it the "old" Le Mans track without the chicane?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 20:38 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Is it the "old" Le Mans track without the chicane?

No, it'll be the modern version (although you can use the historic layout in iRacing).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 0:04 
Sleepyhead

Lonewolves wrote:
Got up at 6 to find out we had made it up to P3 in class (P5 overall) overnight, but then our fastest driver had equipment failure (computer crashed) so we had to get a 6 min tow. Then our engineer had to get in the car and run an almost-full double stint as all the drivers were asleep!

One of our other driver has woken up with a sickness bug and is currently bravely trying to complete one more stint. Then it's me until midday.

How bad are all these other teams if you can spend half of it crashed/repairing or being towed and you still beat most of them? Are crashes and long repairs really commonplace?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

How bad are all these other teams if you can spend half of it crashed/repairing or being towed and you still beat most of them? Are crashes and long repairs really commonplace?

Oh yes. I don't think I saw an undamaged car out there. I think maybe one quarter of the teams in our split had quit by 8 hours in.

Half the time getting repaired is a bit of an exaggeration though. I think we needed under 1 hour of repairs in total in the full 24 hours.

This is not a normal endurance race on a regular track. This is the Green Hell. I probably did 20 hours of practice running up to it and I should've done closer to 50 to make sure I knew the track. I wasn't exactly reacting to corners rally-style, but I couldn't tell you what was 2-3 corners ahead. Now I probably could.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The only bits I got to know off by heart while playing on Forza 4 were the very start, the uphill through the trees to the carousel, and the end.

You know what you should do while the track is still fresh in your brain, of course...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:16 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
The only bits I got to know off by heart while playing on Forza 4 were the very start, the uphill through the trees to the carousel, and the end.

You know what you should do while the track is still fresh in your brain, of course...

Oh I know. And I plan on doing it at some point. Then again I plan on doing this race next year so as long as I book it for May/June time it'll be fine.

Also I want to be sure my car has all the gremlins removed first.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 15:00 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Also I forgot to mention, we were in the 2nd fastest class. There were 19 Mazda MX-5s in our split. They were almost dangerously slow if you caught them up on the straights!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 22:16 
UltraMod

Final thoughts: I managed to compete 37 laps of the Nürburgring! I couldn't string three laps together earlier in the week so I think this is a decent achievement - I did two full stints of 9 laps each at one point with no damage incurred!

Final result is that I finished 156th out of 483 Porsche drivers with 106 points. This total is worked out using the average iRating of the split and my finishing position using some fancy formula. So, top third - I'll take that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 
Sleepyhead

Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 
UltraMod

I've just found out someone I regularly compete with in NASCAR has died after suffering fatal injuries at the Tandragee 100 road race in Co Armagh, Ireland.

The last race we competed in I remember he tapped me accidentally from behind and sent me into a half-spin. Instead of taking advantage, he gave up two spots waiting for me so he could give the place back. :'(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 
Awesome
Yes

So, they died in real life because they were also a real racer as well as an iRacer, or they've died in game and the death is permanent?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:25 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:
So, they died in real life because they were also a real racer as well as an iRacer, or they've died in game and the death is permanent?

He was a real life motorcycle racer.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2017-04-22/ ... 100-crash/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sorry to hear that, man. Sounds like a gent. Too few of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 
Gogmagog

Sorry to hear that, myp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 
Awesome
Yes

My condolences.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 22:28 
UltraMod

Continuing the NASCAR iRacing Series...

Week 9 - Toyota Owners 200 @ Richmond International Raceway (200 laps, 150 miles)

Q:2
R:1

Having had no race over the Easter week, then not being able to race at Bristol last week due to other commitments, I went into this a bit rusty with a few laps on Tuesday followed by an hour or so before the race tonight. However being placed as car #1 in the 3rd split plus Apex Racing's setup being so good I managed to stick the car on the front row and sat happily in second for the first 40 laps, managing the gap to 3rd without letting the leader get away too much.

Unfortunately it went a bit wrong at this point as the pace car came out for a yellow flag at an inopportune time and we both went past the pit lane even though it was open, everyone else filing in. This put us back in 17th and 19th for the next restart. Luckily I was able to make my way back up through the field, staying out during the myriad cautions that followed over the next 17 laps. From then on I led all but 5 laps up until lap 160 when the field pitted behind me and I stayed out - I had made another mistake.

I then took a gamble on the next caution a few laps later, took tyres and restarted in P9. I had to be very aggressive on this restart to make sure the top drivers didn't get away. Within 11 laps I was back up to 4th - then another caution flag came out. Bizarrely P2 and P3 went into the pits and I inherited 2nd. It took me another 11 laps to get past P1 and back into the lead. From then on it was 14 laps of hitting my marks and trying to keep the nerves under control. I won by just under four tenths of a second in the end.

Phew! Glad to finally have a win this season. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 22:35 
UltraMod

Attachment:
WIN.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 22:38 
Unpossible!

Yay!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 23:23 
UltraMod

I've also dedicated my win to Dario, who quite probably would have been in the same race as me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 23:39 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Good work Lonewolves... Once again, this does sound awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:48 
EvilTrousers

I read this thread a lot and am always amazed and a bit jealous of your commitment to iRacing. You do make it sound like a lot of fun but my miniscule attention span would mean I would be checking Twitter by lap 10 and then crashing into the sides once I've found out the latest thing Sean Spicer has said means I could never really reach anywhere near your level. Hence my admiration.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:03 
Gogmagog

Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:46 
UltraMod

Trousers wrote:
I read this thread a lot and am always amazed and a bit jealous of your commitment to iRacing. You do make it sound like a lot of fun but my miniscule attention span would mean I would be checking Twitter by lap 10 and then crashing into the sides once I've found out the latest thing Sean Spicer has said means I could never really reach anywhere near your level. Hence my admiration.

Carry on.

Don't be. I'm amazed and envious of your incredible high scores in arcade games on Live/PSN! I love those type of games but have no idea how you get the scores you do. We all have our thing, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:47 
Hibernating Druid

Lonewolves wrote:
I've also dedicated my win to Dario, who quite probably would have been in the same race as me.

:metul: Good show.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:11 
UltraMod

In other news I'll be participating in a fundraising event for Billy Monger in a couple of weeks time.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 
UltraMod

Week 11 - Go Bowling 200 @ Kansas Speedway (133 laps, 200 miles)

Q: 28
R: 19

I missed week 10 at Talladega due to being on holiday, but went into this pretty confident as the setup was great. Found myself as car #28 of 29 in split 3 of 4, so decided not to qualify and start from the back. There were about 10 of my Apex Academy teammates in the race, so we took it steady for the first half of the race, and I just stayed out of trouble. By the time we got to lap 100 I was P4 and we had to make our only green flag pit stop of the race. My pit stops had been great the whole time and this time was no exception. However disaster struck as I was on my outlap, a caution flag came out and everyone who had stayed out got a free stop. This put me in P13 and a lap down for the restart. Sadly then one of my teammates got loose out of T4 a few laps later and as I was boxed in had nowhere to go but straight into the side of him as he overcorrected and slid up into the outside wall.

My car wasn't totally destroyed but I had to get some of the damage fixed. Even when I came out I was severely down on power and didn't have a chance of making up any places. I ended up finishing in 19th two laps down. Not a great result but I've had three great results in a row and can't always have the luck. I knew I had a great car and am now really looking forward to the full-length Coke 600 at Charlotte next week!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Found myself as car #28 of 29 in split 3 of 4, so decided not to qualify and start from the back.

What's does this mean?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:52 
Isn't that lovely?

There are 4 groups of racers, he is in group 3, with 29 people in it and where he was ranked 2nd last out. I think

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

But why not qualify in that case?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:59 
UltraMod

Malc wrote:
There are 4 groups of racers, he is in group 3, with 29 people in it and where he was ranked 2nd last out. I think

Correct.

Grim... wrote:
But why not qualify in that case?

Theoretically I was one of the slowest drivers in the race. Kansas has a reputation for being a bit crashy, so I didn't want to end up qualifying mid-pack (due to others not qualifying) and then being susceptible to either a big wreck early on or faster guys trying to push past me aggressively from the start. It was a great tactic as I missed the early wrecks and got myself up into the top 5 in time for the the business end of the race.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 19:30 
UltraMod

I'll be taking part in the Billy Whizz fundraising event tonight put together by British Sim Racers. Multiclass event, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup and the Kia Optima GT4. I'll be in the Porsche of course. ;)

BTCC drivers Ash Sutton and Rob Austin are taking part. 3 x 20 min sprint races. Broadcast link here:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 21:29 
Paws for thought

Hope you Rob wins

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:00 
UltraMod

I didn't do very well. My best race was the last one when I finished P14.

We also had the World Cup Intimidator quarter final v Canada tonight as well. We won, but it was a bit fraught and I was rubbish, frankly.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 17:28 
UltraMod

It's nearly 30 degrees outside, I know what would be fun: spending four hours with two tiny monitors strapped to my face!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:13 
UltraMod

Week 12 - Coca-Cola 600 @ Charlotte Motor Speedway (400 laps, 600 miles)

Q: 9
R: 11

So, after last week's break due to the real-life All-Star race, we're back in the NiS and last night was the longest race on the NASCAR calendar, and iRacing in their infinite wisdom decided to make it full-length.

The good news was that this is my favourite non-short track and the car was on rails and the tyres lasted 40 laps easily (I could have gone longer). Sadly I got involved in a 50/50 wreck with a guy I got a massive run on after only 35 laps or so. He came down on me but I was kicking myself as I knew he was going to do it and should have bailed out, especially so early on in the race. I then got tagged as I went into a spin. It must have damaged my fuel tank as it drained the remainder and I had to take a tow. I ended up 4 laps down and only managed to get one of them back during the entirety of the rest of the race.

However it was still fun as I was overtaking people left, right and centre and even unlapped myself easily from P3 towards the end so I definitely had the pace for a good finish had I stayed out of trouble.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Are there penalties for rule infractions?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:32 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Are there penalties for rule infractions?

Yep, you can get black flagged for all manner of reasons: pit lane speeding, overtaking under yellow, passing the pace car, jumping the start, etc. The penalties vary from an EOLL (end of longest line) to stop and hold for x seconds. This is all done automatically by the AI race director, however in league racing there is the option of having live stewards/race control.

In road racing you'll get a slow down penalty if you cut the course and if you don't give the place back you get black flagged for that.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

How about non-race related penalties? Can someone be suspended or banned?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:40 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
How about non-race related penalties? Can someone be suspended or banned?

Yep. There is a very robust protest system. So if you see someone abusing text/voice chat, intentionally wrecking people, retaliating or otherwise driving in an unsafe manner you can save a replay of it and fill in a form on the website. It's then reviewed by the protest team and they'll either tell you that they've done nothing wrong or that they've been notified of the outcome. This can vary from coaching, a chat/forum ban, a warning or outright temp or perma bans depending on the severity of the infraction and whether it's their first offence or not.

I think I've submitted around 10 protests in my time. I think around 7/8 of them have been upheld.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grass ;)

I find it really interesting, I must say.

In a "title-fest", I'd like to come and watch you do it one day.

Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next