Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 174  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 14:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm enjoying Iron Fist. The critical reception's been pretty negative, but I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 14:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I am liking Catastrophe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 14:40 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
I am liking Catastrophe.

Catastrophe is a brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 15:08 
Prince of Fops

Indeed, catastrophe is superb. Warm, touching , vulgar, funny.* I'm kind of in love with both Sharon Horgan and rob delaney.

*So's yer title etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 15:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Warm touching.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 20:08 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

American Gods trailer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 21:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What was that Atomic Blonde that was it cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 22:17 
8-Bit Champion

Grim... wrote:
What was that Atomic Blonde that was it cheers.

viewtopic.php?p=946761#p946761

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 22:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Right?!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:12 
Can you dig it?

zaphod79 wrote:
American Gods trailer

Looks quite good, the sort of thing that Supernatural once threatened to become (there were I think two series of that which I really enjoyed).

Except.... that's Calvin from Hollyoaks right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:37 
Master of dodgy spelling....

markg wrote:
It's ok, ending was a bit of a damp squid.

Squib? Or am I missing the joke..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 
Decapodian

KovacsC wrote:
markg wrote:
It's ok, ending was a bit of a damp squid.

Squib? Or am I missing the joke..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnXKVY-_i2c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:34 
UltraMod

Travelers
The OA
12 Monkeys

All worth watching, varying from good to excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The OA can go fuck itself

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:13 
Awesome
Yes

I liked The OA.

Been renewed as well apparently, though where they'll go with it I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:46 
SavyGamer

12 Monkeys is one of my favourite films but the TV show is pretty bad, at least the first four or so episodes were. It's also a bad idea to turn a film into a TV show if you didn't understand the film.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:49 
Prince of Fops

Cras wrote:
The OA can go fuck itself

Califooooornyaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 22:29 
INFINITE POWAH

The Expanse really is ace.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 13:54 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:
The Expanse really is ace.

It's kind of like GoT in space so far. I've only watched 3 episodes so far but I'm enjoying it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 15:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

S1 is quite slow up until the last couple of episodes, then it becomes UNSTOPPABLE BRILLOPANTS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 20:44 
Excellent Member

So the last episodes of Legion was pretty disappointing. Mostly it was good and all, but the middle of it was just such a horrendous exposition dump that it shat all over the pacing of the entire series. There wasn't even an attempt at subtlety, what with sticking the main character in an actual fucking classroom and just throwing facts at him. Every aspect of the story that had been left unexplained up to that point was just rushed through in a couple of minutes like they'd lost the courage of their convictions. Boo!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 22:24 
Sleepyhead

Bamba wrote:
So the last episodes of Legion was pretty disappointing. Mostly it was good and all, but the middle of it was just such a horrendous exposition dump that it shat all over the pacing of the entire series. There wasn't even an attempt at subtlety, what with sticking the main character in an actual fucking classroom and just throwing facts at him. Every aspect of the story that had been left unexplained up to that point was just rushed through in a couple of minutes like they'd lost the courage of their convictions. Boo!

I didnt really think it was that bad. There's still lots of stuff going on that is entirely unexplained or at the very least seriously sketchy, and there was very little in the exposition that we didn't already know; but it was a neat scene and the animations were cool. The only thing it spelled out was the identity of the parasite, which in itself wasn't even that much info.

Though the thing in the first minute...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
That was Charles Xavier's wheelchair, right?

Only one episode left! I personally foresee an ending where either:

There's a layer of astral plane or whatever more than they think, so a lot of stuff didn't actually happen (if they went too far and made the entire thing inside his head that would probably be shit though), or
They think they've won but the parasite chap has Twin Peaks'd himself into someone else's head (probably Jermaine's).

P.S. Stable door horse bolted and all that jazz, but we so should have had a thread for this show.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:29 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
I didnt really think it was that bad. There's still lots of stuff going on that is entirely unexplained or at the very least seriously sketchy, and there was very little in the exposition that we didn't already know; but it was a neat scene and the animations were cool. The only thing it spelled out was the identity of the parasite, which in itself wasn't even that much info.

It was the way it spelled out everything to do with the parasite in a single dump; not least the
back story of its battle with Xavier
which David had no way of knowing anyway so fuck knows how he was able to explain it to himself. They've had ages to introduce the thing and maybe reveal bits of the backstory in a more organic way but nope, let's just dump it all out there and move on. Balls.

Curiosity wrote:
Though the thing in the first minute...

That was Charles Xavier's wheelchair, right?

Yeah, Legion is Xavier's son in the comics so that part isn't a too big a twist.

Curiosity wrote:
Only one episode left! I personally foresee an ending where either:

There's a layer of astral plane or whatever more than they think, so a lot of stuff didn't actually happen (if they went too far and made the entire thing inside his head that would probably be shit though), or
They think they've won but the parasite chap has Twin Peaks'd himself into someone else's head (probably Jermaine's).

I definitely think Jermaine's character will be the key somehow. It struck me as odd at the time that he was just suddently 'there' in the real world after being gone for so long and they seem to be heavily signposting the fact that he doesn't remember his wife at all. Certainly in the comics the Shadow King's whole deal is jumping around from brain to brain so that'll almost certainly be the basis of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:44 
Excellent Member

Something else I wondered about: what's the deal with Lennny in general? He definitely existed because David's ex-girlfriend remembered him so has he just dropped out of David's life at some unknown point and then the parasite's taken over all those memories in David's head? I thought I remembered Syd actually interacting with and referencing the female version when they were in the asylum (doesn't she talk about how she killed his best friend when they swapped bodies and she freaked out?) but that can't be true because that version never actually existed so am I just misremembering or is that still unexplained?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
Something else I wondered about: what's the deal with Lennny in general? He definitely existed because David's ex-girlfriend remembered him so has he just dropped out of David's life at some unknown point and then the parasite's taken over all those memories in David's head? I thought I remembered Syd actually interacting with and referencing the female version when they were in the asylum (doesn't she talk about how she killed his best friend when they swapped bodies and she freaked out?) but that can't be true because that version never actually existed so am I just misremembering or is that still unexplained?

Unexplained

I watched the first episode closely expecting that Lenny was all in Davids head (that was my idea at the very start) , and you see other people interact with her at different points - we just dont know if that was real or not.

If she was not there after having David body swap with Syd - did that damage the parasite and is that a possible way to get it out of Davids head ?

The problem with things is its *all* unreliable memories because the parasite can use Davids powers to change others memories, so you cant trust anyone's recollection (Lenny was male at some points / female at others and the Parasite was their childhood dog that then did not exist)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:55 
Sleepyhead

AFAIK Lenny was the girl in the hospital, who was a friend of David. The bloke in his past with the similar name was just another rando, whom the parasite blended into the girl to make it seem like they were friends and went way back. Girl Lenny was real and Syd did kill her by accident when in David's body. The Shadow King then used those memories as a way to talk to David more explicitly, as he was getting too scared and unpredictable when confronted with the yellow-eyed demon form. So said King needed a new way to influence David, and Lenny happened to be a recent memory.

As for Jermaine (I can't remember his character's name), he must be well dodgy now. He's magically back? Very suspicious. David could feasibly do it, but hmmmmmm. Lots to do with that Sanctuary seem unsettling and slightly off. Not least that everywhere they go seems to be sort of connected to the forest (which I hope doesn't mean all these locations are in David's head).

Only one episode to go though! God I hope they stick the landing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 

Curiosity wrote:
AFAIK Lenny was the girl in the hospital, who was a friend of David. The bloke in his past with the similar name was just another rando, whom the parasite blended into the girl to make it seem like they were friends and went way back. Girl Lenny was real and Syd did kill her by accident when in David's body. The Shadow King then used those memories as a way to talk to David more explicitly, as he was getting too scared and unpredictable when confronted with the yellow-eyed demon form. So said King needed a new way to influence David, and Lenny happened to be a recent memory..

That's what I thought. It obviously needed more exposition for Bamba.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 13:56 
8-Bit Champion

Given how much of this is unknown that's a good hypothesis , but I'm not 100% convinced.

You have the 'old' druggy memory's with Lenny (F) , which then contradict with the explanation given by the ex-girlfriend (and the early doctor , or was that all fake since it was not really him but the other mutant?) of Lenny as a man.

How much of Davids memories are really and how much are replaced or have been re-written to fit a narrative are unclear , and even removing the parasite may never give you a clear answer one way or the other ?

My questions :
What actually happened in the kitchen flashback we've seen a few times with everything exploding around him ?
What happened to him as a kid with that creepy house ?
What happened to his parents (okay his adopted parents) ?
Is the Paper Maché head character just an early version of the parasite or is that something else ?
What is the 'X' symbol that the parasite is searching for in his and other peoples memories ?

I do hope for some resolution to the current arc but since they have confirmed a season 2 (http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/legion- ... 202009529/ ) I think there will be a lot of stuff they will just leave hanging.

After an odd first episode the 'middle' part of the show has been amazing and its one of the best TV shows I've seen in years , the last few eps have been a little disappointing in how things are being wrapped up (and a little bit of filler in places) but if you've not watched this you really should

** edit ** I should probably add i've not read anything online about this and have never read the comics its based on

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 13:59 
Excellent Member

I've just been reminded from reading some articles about all this that the male version from David's past is actually called Benny rather than Lenny according to the ex-girlfriend. Not that that changes anything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 14:42 
Sleepyhead

Yeah. To my mind he was just a nobody [EDIT - well, a friend but nobody THAT notable] that the parasite changed in David's memories to gain his trust.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 14:44 
Sleepyhead

Also, from this week:

I loved the way the SK killed Creepy Art Garfunkel! That was well gross, though it does seem like a waste of a character that was never fully explored. Or is he really dead? Was that all in David's mind? *gasp*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 22:40 
Sleepyhead

Legion Season Finale:

It was... good? Goodish? It didn't quite nail it, IMO, though the series as a whole is one of my favourite of recent years. Aubrey Plaza has been amazing throughout, and her bits with Dan Stevens have been the standout parts to me. She did some excellent eyeball acting this week.

The ending played out as I expected, but somehow with a little less drama than I had hoped. The scene with it being passed around was kinda cool though.

Anyway, cracking series. Will watch S2.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 0:45 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Legion Season Finale:

Post credits scene if you did not see it

And I pretty much agree with your comments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:45 
Sleepyhead

zaphod79 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Legion Season Finale:

Post credits scene if you did not see it

And I pretty much agree with your comments

Gah!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 
SavyGamer

This is me posting about how bad Iron Fist is during the final episode to break the monotony of watching Iron Fist.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:27 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
Legion Season Finale:

It was... good? Goodish? It didn't quite nail it, IMO, though the series as a whole is one of my favourite of recent years. Aubrey Plaza has been amazing throughout, and her bits with Dan Stevens have been the standout parts to me. She did some excellent eyeball acting this week.

The ending played out as I expected, but somehow with a little less drama than I had hoped. The scene with it being passed around was kinda cool though.

Anyway, cracking series. Will watch S2.

I agree with all of this. I was slightly disappointed with the last episode but I couldn't put my finger on why because there was nothing I could call out as being actually 'bad'. I did enjoy the interplay between David and the interrogator guy ("Now we'll have to work together." "*sigh* I know, I'll talk to them.") but was less impressed by all the stuff before that showing his recovery from the burning incident at the pool (yeah, yeah, he's a real human being with a life and loved ones, we get it; but fuck him, he was purposely doing a job that involved holding people against their will and lying to them so he can suck it up). Oh, and the bit at the start with David casually building a writhing pile of bodies while the interrogator realises quite how fucked he is was awesome.

Anyway, as a whole I've fucking loved it so am definitely looking forward to the second season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:59 
SavyGamer

Rick & Morty season three episode one is fucking astounding.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 13:31 
8-Bit Champion

Preacher S2 teaser trailer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:33 

Watched the last episode of Black Sails last night. Really loved that show by the later seasons. I thought the ending was pretty great too, the ambiguity and the themes about storytelling were really nicely done.

Well worth a go if anyone is looking for something to watch that's not ultimately going to dwindle away into some nonsensical pish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 
INFINITE POWAH

I loved Black Sails - I still haven't got round to watching the last series - have been waiting until Ruth's done with whatever girly crap she's watching at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 
Prince of Fops

zaphod79 wrote:

FUCKING YES. Favourite show of last year.

Loving Dexys' too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Findus Fop wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

FUCKING YES. Favourite show of last year.

Loving Dexys' too.

:this:
Can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 

MrChris wrote:
I loved Black Sails - I still haven't got round to watching the last series - have been waiting until Ruth's done with whatever girly crap she's watching at the moment.
It's the best series of the lot and the finale is fucking great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:11 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
MrChris wrote:
It's the best series of the lot and the finale is fucking great.

That's hugely gratifying to hear - I was worried about how they were going to end it. Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:20 
Decapodian

Such a change from how Black Sails started when it was easy to dismiss as tits and pirates.

Sleepyhead

Watched most of The Good Place yesterday.

Lots of fun, and the cast are all really good at their roles. Not often a laugh out loud funny show, though I did sometimes, but well worth watching.

Season 2 could be interesting...

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Wait, is it not tits and pirates?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 
INFINITE POWAH

Cras wrote:
Wait, is it not tits and pirates?

Yes, it is, which is great, obviously. Not really sure what he's getting at there.

+++MELON MELON MELON+++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR++++REDO FROM START++++

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:42 

There were definitely more tits in the earlier seasons but the lack of them was made up for by more ships blowing each other to smithereens. But yeah what a great show. Grew into being one of my favourites of recent years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:23 
Hibernating Druid

Wooooooo!

Better Call Saul Season 3 on Netflix 11 April.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 174  Next