PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 22:48 
Bad Girl

The gaming press are bumming it hard.

Post subject: Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 15:37 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I can't wait.

I saw someone's tweet about it yesterday where he listed the pros and cons of it. Cons, the sprint button could be in a better place. Pros, everything else.

I've ordered the collectors edition. I'll post some pictures if I get chance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 21:33 
Excellent Member

There's a good chance it'll be awesome, but the days when I'd buy a Nintendo console just to play that generations Zelda game are well gone. And that's what I have to assume I'd be doing given that there was fuck all on that last two Nintendo consoles that would've troubled the Sony/MS stuff I was interested in. I hope it's a good console because there's no reason not to, but Nintendo have so totally lost my trust over the last ten years or so that the idea they've suddenly stepped outside the weird little bubble that produced all their decisions over the last ten years is hard to imagine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 22:41 
Can you dig it?

Having skipped WiiU and 3DS altogether, I'm quite excited for this. The thought of some console gaming on the big telly when no one else is around, or playing handheld when the TV is on a kids channel/boring reality TV show is quite appealing.

I'm going to wait until Dec (birthday and Christmas time) and then consider a Switch. I'm keen for a new zelda, I haven't played one properly for a while - think the last one I spent any considerable time on was Phantom Hourglass on the DS. For some reason I forget, I didn't really get into Twilight Princess and didn't even try Skyward Sword.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 22:48 
Excellent Member

Twilight Princess was genuinely hard to get into, but was still very good if you pushed through the barrier a bit. Skyward Sword was utterly fucking ruined by the bullshit waggle motion controls that the developers were still duty bound to weld onto the thing. Which is a shame because it had some good ideas, but it was ultimately ruined by Nintendo being Nintendo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 22:48 
SavyGamer

I'm getting it on Wii U. Switch is an unappealing device for me, but I do love Nintendo's games. I think I'll wait for different hardware revisions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 23:06 
Can you dig it?

Bamba wrote:
Twilight Princess was genuinely hard to get into, but was still very good if you pushed through the barrier a bit.

Now you mention it, I recall feeling that way. There wan't much that I can remember being wrong with it, but it just didn't really grip me. I think I got to a funny floating dungeon with some funny chicken things with ugly faces and then gave up. Although I think that I might've had Galaxy and RE4 competing for attention at the same times and they were great - I loved the RE4 Wii version.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 23:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Wii U version for me - the last hurrah for this most underrated of consoles. (It can go on the 'Well I loved it, you bastards' shelf, along with my Dreamcast.)

Last thing I read on Eurogamer about the game was Switch and Wii U versions are largely identical, except the Switch is running at 900p and Wii U at 720p (I only have a 720p telly so that's fine), with both targeting 30FPS with various degrees of frame dropping, which for an open world Zelda style game is no problem, it's not like it's a mega-twitch reaction game like Mario Kart 8 or DKCTF where that ultra-fine controller response is critical.

Will be nice to dust off the Wii U for a final full game blast.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 13:12 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
I only have a 720p telly

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 13:16 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
I only have a 720p telly

8)

It's amazing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 14:32 
Hello Hello Hello

I explained this last month, I don't see what the surprise is around it:

viewtopic.php?p=937832#p937832

Quote:
I bought it back in 2007 when I got my XBox360 (prior to that I'd had a nice Sony Trinitron CRT), and at the time 1080p flatscreen tellies were ferociously expensive (£1500+) whereas you could get a nice 720p telly for just under a grand.

Since the 360 was a 720p console anyway, it seemed like a nice match for the console.

The telly still works perfectly and it also has all the connectors ever, for example component for my old chipped XBox and SCART for the old VHS player, along with 3xHDMI and all the usual sort of stuff. It also has optical audio in/out/passthrough which is perfect for my 5:1 speaker system which handles the media centre PC and 360.

Obviously it'll break at some point and I'll need to replace it, but since I don't have an XBone or PS4 (i.e. 1080p consoles), and the Wii-U is a 720p console, I don't see any reason to bin a perfectly good telly for no reason.

A lot of media is 1080 of course, but watching a 1080 media file on a 720 telly is fine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 14:40 
UltraMod

It's just hilarious considering how much of a PC Master Race spod you used to be about resolution.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 15:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
hilarious

I feel I'd go as far as "interesting".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 15:34 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
It's just hilarious considering how much of a PC Master Race spod you used to be about resolution.

:this:

Also, on a slightly more serious note, given how much screen tech has improved over the years the picture in general will almost certainly look like ass compared to a more modern screen even regardless of resolutions. Not that even that matters if you're happy with it of course.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 15:44 
EvilTrousers

Lonewolves wrote:

Frame Rate - always the frame rate.

He doesn't care about tearing thought, awful, hideous, disgusting tearing, like playing Dead Rising through VGA on an Xbox 360 tearing.

And then when you've got your screen at 60fps and all the bells and whistles functioning - make sure you cover 40% of it with video stats.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 21:43 
Hello Hello Hello

So this is available on the Wii-U store now for £59.99, but for some bizarre reason I'd quite like to have a physical disc for this game, maybe it's because I know it'll be the last game I ever buy for the console, and somehow it seems more fitting for a Nintendo game to have a 'real thing', whereas I gave up on discs for PC/360 games at the first opportunity.

It may also because I don't have enough space on my Wii-U's internal storage to download the entire game without deleting something, but if I get it on disc it'll then only take up 3GB of storage space and I can accommodate that.

The reviews seem to be coming in as pretty stellar across the board, I'll check in on GAME tomorrow, if they have the boxed game on the shelves I'll snag myself a copy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:20 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Satsuma wrote:
The gaming press are bumming it hard.

So Very VERY hard - its currently at a 98 on Metacritic with over 60 reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/t ... f-the-wild

copied from Neogaf :

Video Reviews

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:39 
Beloved member

It's as good as they claim it is, after five to six hours play yesterday evening. It's amazing. Hype justified, for once.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 15:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Pah! Drove into Douglas and went to GAME, only to be told that all the Wii-U copies of Zelda they had were assigned to pre-orders and I couldn't have one.

Digital download it is then. I've deleted Pikmin3 off my Wii-U's internal storage to make space for Zelda and now I have to wait....

(It actually went up from here and peaked at an estimate of 2h20m, it's been going down since then and now says I have 1h27m to wait, for the first download that's in progress here, no idea how big the second one is.....)

£59.99, which I'm happy to pay for something that's supposed to be as ZOMG-amazeballs as this.

NEW ZELDA GAME! Woop!

Attachment:
zeldo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 17:30 
Hello Hello Hello

So now it's finished downloading and it's estimating THIRTY TWO MINUTES to install it. (This is just for the first bar in the screenshot, I don't know what the second one will entail yet.....)

Thank fuck for the digital revolution, and that console games don't come on horrible shitty old-fashioned cartridges with their pesky instantaneous loading and no installation requirements.

EDIT - It'd got down to 22 minutes, now it's gone up to 35 minutes.

EDIT AGAIN - It's just gone up to 36 minutes.

EDIT EDIT EDIT - 39 MINUTES.

Fucking hell Nintendo.

40 minutes.

42 minutes.

43 minutes.

44 minutes.

I'm not even making this up.

45 minutes.

54 MINUTES FUCK YOU.

55 minutes.

OH MY GOD.

Attachment:
dickwank.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 18:51 
Hello Hello Hello

And after both bars did their DOWNLOADING and then INSTALLING, it finally said I was finished and could play the game!

I tapped on the Zelda icon on my gamepad's homescreen!

NEW ZELDA GAME MOTHERFUCKERS!

Oh.

(This is despite making sure I had a couple of GB above what the original purchase said was required as free space on my console.)

Attachment:
FUCK_YOU.JPG

Through seriously gritted teeth, I deleted Rayman Legends off the console, which is the only thing left on there that would free up enough space.

(Do remember that my Wii-U is the 32GB 'deluxe' one with the 'large' internal storage option.)

It now seems to want to do this, although it estimated four hours just a couple of minutes ago, so 24 minutes is definitely an improvement.

Attachment:
splendidnint.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 19:04 
Hello Hello Hello

And after a mere..... cough..... FOUR HOURS.

We are ready to begin.

Attachment:
starto.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 19:15 
UltraMod

I've got a 128GB USB stick plugged in the front that I install games to.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 21:27 
Hello Hello Hello

Holy-moley it's glorious. It's so easy to forgive Nintendo for all the things they're shit at, when they create a game like this for you to immerse yourself in.

Just every single thing about it so far has been joyous.

We actually had the three of us sat on the couch together, me playing, Mrs H and Jnr watching (with Jnr asking many questions :)), but all experiencing it at the same time. The open-world is genuinely beautiful, with amazing draw distance so you really do feel like you're exploring. (And fuck knows how they've got the rather weak hardware of the Wii-U shunting it all around. I mean, as a seasoned PC-spod I can see the many nips and tucks they've had to make, but the overall effect remains stunning.)

Nintendo have still 100% got it.

PLAY CONTINUES.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 23:15 
Hello Hello Hello

I have stopped playing this for tonight simply because my Wii-U gamepad went into MEGA RED FLASHING LIGHT I'M ABOUT TO DIE ON YOU mode (after I cheerfully ignored its 'normal red light you should think about charging me up' stance).

The gamepad's screen isn't used AT ALL for this game, and there's a vague pretence that you can use its motion controls for some trivial shite which you can of course turn off, so yes it'd be nice if there were just the equivalent of a 360 pad for the thing that you can simply snap a new set of batteries into.

However, this detracts not a jot from the amazing majesty of the game itself.

Nintendo do 'gaming majesty' rather well, I remember playing the original Donkey Kong Country on my SNES, which at the time cost approximately three hundred million pounds (it felt like it anyway), and yet you'd forgive them every single penny because the game was just so bloody good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:19 
SavyGamer

The Wii u pro controller is pretty much just a 360 pad. It doesn't take AA batteries, but the built in battery seems to last forever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
The Wii u pro controller is pretty much just a 360 pad. It doesn't take AA batteries, but the built in battery seems to last forever.

If by forever you mean 'about four and a half hours', then yes.

Fair enough my Wii-U will be three in June this year so the battery will be well past its best, but that doesn't change the fact that last night I stopped playing Zelda because the gamepad died on me, not because I wanted to stop playing, and that battery isn't going to get any healthier over time.

Ahhh, according to my GOOGLE-FU, replacement, higher capacity batteries for the gamepad are a thing, and can be user-replaced. I may get one ordered today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:07 
SavyGamer

I'm talking about the Pro Controller, not the Gamepad. A single charge is about 100 hours playtime.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:56 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
I'm talking about the Pro Controller, not the Gamepad. A single charge is about 100 hours playtime.

Ahhh sorry that's what I get for reading and replying to posts before I've had my required three cups of strong Yorkshire Tea to wake me up properly.

It seems a hefty investment for a single game though, when I can get a mega-battery for my normal gamepad for less than £20, which will also do for all other games as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 13:12 
SavyGamer

Yeah. I got my Pro Controller when they were reduced to £18, and mainly wanted it for two player stuff, but I ended up using it instead of the Gamepad quite a lot, largely because I only have to charge it every few months.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 20:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Effectively the same on Switch and Wii-U, beyond the 720p/900p rendering difference.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... u-face-off

Certainly no need to worry that the Wii-U gets an inferior version, unless you're fundamentally opposed to playing a game at 720p or it's against your religious beliefs or something.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 20:25 
Gogmagog

Is the game better or worse than talking about batteries and resolutions?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 20:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Exactly 82.7% better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 0:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've started this tonight and it looks pretty damn special so far!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 0:39 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
unless you're fundamentally opposed to playing a game at 720p or it's against your religious beliefs or something.

*spits tea over screen*

I'm speechless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 0:57 
Bad Girl

I like this Hearty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:24 
Can you dig it?

Hearthly wrote:
And after a mere..... cough..... FOUR HOURS.

We are ready to begin.

:attitude: It's like the good old days at WoS have returned. (I like the filenames you chose for the pictures, btw)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:51 
SavyGamer

Some of the vista and locations in this game are incredible. My jaw was on the ground the entire time I was making my way up the Gerudo tower.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:59 
Can you dig it?

Does it still have the recognisable music themes? I really liked the Gerudo music from Ocarina...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:11 
SavyGamer

I don't remember the Gerudo theme.

There's not a huge amount of music, it's a lot of ambient stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:37 
Can you dig it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 
Can you dig it?

I really, really did enjoy the music from the Zelda games. There's an orchestral album, 'Hyrule Symphony', that I used to listen to quite a bit, it really was excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:02 
SavyGamer

I've not heard that yet, but I've not explored the entire area. I think there might be little nods to it in the ambient stuff though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

According to the soundtrack that came with the collectors edition, It's on there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 15:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Lonewolves wrote:
*spits tea over screen*

I'm speechless.

I'm trying to keep derailing to a minimum so I will just say it was always framerate that I went on about, not resolution.

(So for example on my PC I'll drop down to 1080p to maintain 60FPS, rather than hobble my framerate at 1440p.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 16:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'll back H up on that, he's only ever been a frame rate spod rather than a resolution spod.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 16:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well, and a film certification spod ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 16:18 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
I'll back H up on that, he's only ever been a frame rate spod rather than a resolution spod.

Fair enough - it was a long time ago and he's packed that shit in now tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 17:19 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Well, and a film certification spod ;)

And a wireless charging spod.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 17:20 
UltraMod

Basically a massive spod

Reply to topic  [ 255 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next