Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Food & cooking
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 

Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Gah. You haven't tried a buttermilk dressing Waldorf salad with a Pimms, in the garden with friends, on a perfect, warm, late May afternoon, lovely crunchy celery and all? Then you haven't lived. Everything in its place etc. :)

Put it this way, it sure as hell beats the crap out of oven chips and microwave rice pouches in front of the TV (or indeed faux McMuffins for that matter), that's for sure. :D :attitude:

Wow, way to yuck other people's yums.

Not yummy.

You're kind of doing the same. I know you are being funny and it's gentle mockery rather than malicious, but I think Russell was trying to make a positive change, and constantly mocking his turn of phrase (which came from DocG's lovely lady) or intentions (I'm not even sure which) undermines that a bit.

It's like the constant mentions of 70/95k porsches that are shorthand mockery of someone's public declaration of wealth/jealousy (I skimmed it a few weeks back but cars aren't really an interest of mine unless they are pink or mint green, so wasn't quite sure what was going on).

There just seems to be so much personal digging, trolling, mockery and sometimes nastiness from a handful of people now that all the interesting stuff is being drowned out, and as soon as the conversation moves on it has to be brought back to one of the established things that must be driven into the ground. Again.

Sometimes it's just light mockery that outstays its welcome, but other times it does seem malicious.

Anyway, I miss the excellent people here, but there's just so much noise these last few months that I can't stand to read all the unkind stuff to get to the good stuff. I came by to see what Mr D had been creating, so that was nice at least.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:46 
Hibernating Druid

Next he'll be slagging off everyones Porscheon sizes.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:47 
Hibernating Druid

Sorry Mimi.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:02 
UltraMod

I am sorry if I've ever come across as malicious - that is certainly not the intention. Driving jokes into the ground is sort of my schtick.

Post subject: I
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:14 

Well to be fair, FWIW, I can barely post anything at all, ever, without someone leaping in with some shite or other, but that's fair enough I'm a big boy etc. - I just give it right back, in spades. As for Hearthly, he and I have known each other for 15-odd years and have had some right old jousts; I seriously, seriously doubt he's remotely bothered by this micro-storm in a thimble but if he is, I'm sure he'll let me know himself.

The issue, for me at least, is that people are leaping in making wide, sweeping statements about what is, and is not shit, with all sorts of "well, I've got my Asda crisps" type posts in what's supposed to be a food and cooking thread. For me, the analogy is me repeatedly going into the PC thread saying "all custom PCs are total shit, my 5-year old laptop is all you need", or perhaps "all console games are utter shit" in the PS4 thread, or "I don't do any exercise at all and am fucking loving it" in the middle aged spread thread. No-one is saying I CAN'T do this/I don't have freedom of speech, but equally, I'm sure it would be considered unhelpful at best and annoying spamming at worst, no doubt attracting criticism of some sort or other.

As for the money card, the irony for me is that, as I've said, Kashmiri chillies and other similarly directly sourced spices cost mere pence - much cheaper, in fact, than shop-bought, if bought in reasonable quantities. I wouldn't mind if I'd come on here and said "eat caviar or you're a pleb" or somesuch, but I very much haven't; Waldorf salad is far from expensive to make either - far, far less per portion than a McMuffin breakfast meal from Maccies.

Bad diet and obesity (so often going hand in hand) kills millions of people years before their time every year, and causes untold, largely avoidable misery. I make no apology whatsoever for "looking down on" rice chips fried onion and curry as some supposed crab linguine or similar busting meal, or "all celery in all forms is utter shit" type comments, and nor do I make any apology for coming down hard on what I consider to be inverted snobbery and/or peer pressure type comments, like somehow I'm a "snob" or "posh" because hey, I like to prepare and eat good food. I wish far more people did it, because they'd likely live a lot longer, happier lives.

I'm reminded of when I was a 16 year old sheet metal worker apprentice, sat in smoke-filled factory cabins during break time, being surrounded by 30 adult men - all well senior to me - every single one of them Sun newspaper in one hand, B&H gold in the other, being "expected" to be "one of them" and buy my own Sun and fags. I decided even at that tender age, and despite having the most precarious existence possible, suffering real hunger and poverty that I very much fucking doubt very few here knows the first thing about (but could be wrong), I wasn't going to read that rag; I wasn't going to do stuff that I thought was shit, just because it made others comfortable for me to do so, to conform with the herd. I do things because *I* want to do them, whether others like it, or not, because it's *my* life and how I wish to lead it.

I'll let others be the judge as to whether I'm a nice guy or not. IRL, dare I say, people seem to think so - but this is a strange virtual place that, IMO, brings out the very worst in people, me included perhaps.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:21 

Zardoz wrote:
Next he'll be slagging off everyones Porscheon sizes.

Hah! Right on cue, love it.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:22 
UltraMod

I think you've misunderstood Cavey - I was calling you a snob for denigrating other people's meal choices. This was after you made it clear that your insistence on Kashmiri chillies wasn't snobbish because because they are cheap. I was just using a gentle ribbing to point out the hypocrisy there.

Anyway, I'm happy to draw a line under it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:26 
Unpossible!

Well, I make my own oven chips. From scratch. So ner.

Post subject: Re: I
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:36 

Cavey wrote:
Well to be fair, FWIW, I can barely post anything at all, ever, without someone leaping in with some shite or other, but that's fair enough I'm a big boy etc. - I just give it right back, in spades. As for Hearthly, he and I have known each other for 15-odd years and have had some right old jousts; I seriously, seriously doubt he's remotely bothered by this micro-storm in a thimble but if he is, I'm sure he'll let me know himself.

The issue, for me at least, is that people are leaping in making wide, sweeping statements about what is, and is not shit, with all sorts of "well, I've got my Asda crisps" type posts in what's supposed to be a food and cooking thread. For me, the analogy is me repeatedly going into the PC thread saying "all custom PCs are total shit, my 5-year old laptop is all you need", or perhaps "all console games are utter shit" in the PS4 thread, or "I don't do any exercise at all and am fucking loving it" in the middle aged spread thread. No-one is saying I CAN'T do this/I don't have freedom of speech, but equally, I'm sure it would be considered unhelpful at best and annoying spamming at worst, no doubt attracting criticism of some sort or other.

As for the money card, the irony for me is that, as I've said, Kashmiri chillies and other similarly directly sourced spices cost mere pence - much cheaper, in fact, than shop-bought, if bought in reasonable quantities. I wouldn't mind if I'd come on here and said "eat caviar or you're a pleb" or somesuch, but I very much haven't; Waldorf salad is far from expensive to make either - far, far less per portion than a McMuffin breakfast meal from Maccies.

Bad diet and obesity (so often going hand in hand) kills millions of people years before their time every year, and causes untold, largely avoidable misery. I make no apology whatsoever for "looking down on" rice chips fried onion and curry as some supposed crab linguine or similar busting meal, or "all celery in all forms is utter shit" type comments, and nor do I make any apology for coming down hard on what I consider to be inverted snobbery and/or peer pressure type comments, like somehow I'm a "snob" or "posh" because hey, I like to prepare and eat good food. I wish far more people did it, because they'd likely live a lot longer, happier lives.

I'm reminded of when I was a 16 year old sheet metal worker apprentice, sat in smoke-filled factory cabins during break time, being surrounded by 30 adult men - all well senior to me - every single one of them Sun newspaper in one hand, B&H gold in the other, being "expected" to be "one of them" and buy my own Sun and fags. I decided even at that tender age, and despite having the most precarious existence possible, suffering real hunger and poverty that I very much fucking doubt very few here knows the first thing about (but could be wrong), I wasn't going to read that rag; I wasn't going to do stuff that I thought was shit, just because it made others comfortable for me to do so, to conform with the herd. I do things because *I* want to do them, whether others like it, or not, because it's *my* life and how I wish to lead it.

I'll let others be the judge as to whether I'm a nice guy or not. IRL, dare I say, people seem to think so - but this is a strange virtual place that, IMO, brings out the very worst in people, me included perhaps.

To be fair I don't think this thread was ever going to be the place for your public health crusade. Unless you think that delicious but fatty, sugary foods cooked with care at home are somehow going to be much better for you than the same amount of fat and sugar from McDonalds or somewhere. Eating too much of that stuff will fuck you up no matter where it comes from.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:43 

You have a point Mark - but the emotive use of the term "crusade" totally undermines it. (I'm not saying I'm any better btw; this is kinda the point; it's difficult for any genuine, civil debate to take place at all, here, unless it's the Kleeeeeeeeek(tm) whereupon people largely agree anyway).

For the record I am not on a "healthy eating crusade" as such, I eat too much generally, and too much fatty foods specifically. However, I still think there's *some* truth in the quality of food being important; organic veg > normal > GM for instance, or freedom food meat > hormone and antibiotic pumped factory reared meat etc. But that's another debate.

No, I'm simply suggesting that bothering to cook and create meals from scratch is a pleasurable and worthwhile thing to do, and as a byproduct is often a healthier overall option, and therefore likely to have some health benefits? I really don't see that as contentious but then, this is Beex we're talking about, right? :roll:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:45 

Mimi wrote:
It's like the constant mentions of 70/95k porsches that are shorthand mockery of someone's public declaration of wealth/jealousy (I skimmed it a few weeks back but cars aren't really an interest of mine unless they are pink or mint green, so wasn't quite sure what was going on).
That's not mocking wealth, that's mocking pomposity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:49 
Excellent Member

Don't mind celery but not that often I bother with it in a salad.

I do use it in Bolognese when cooking along with carrot and onion to ensure that I can sneak some green stuff in my boy.

There are worse things than celery, cauliflower for example.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:49 

Bobbyaro wrote:
Cooked celery is a disgusting, slimy mess. Raw is a delicious crunch.

This is intriguing. Offhand, I can only think of cooking celery under the circumstances I mentioned earlier: as a base for Italian and Cajun stews (in which case, it's diced finely and basically disappears into the meal, adding some base notes to the flavour but no meaningful texture) or as a soup (in which case it's typically blended.) Possibly, though, this is because I don't like it much, so wouldn't cook it any other way. Under what circumstances have you had it cooked in large enough pieces to be slimy?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:50 
Gogmagog

I like it when you tickle in your ear with a raw brocolli floret.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:54 

Does he do that for you often?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:55 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
That's not mocking wealth, that's mocking pomposity.

That's fine with me. I mentioned that in response to a long, long line of trolling and provocative posts from you, presumably because you were pissed that I'd proved that mean, cost-of-living adjusted incomes among the working - including the early 20s - hadn't just increased from the mid 70s and early 80s as I'd originally claimed - but actually rocketed in fact, as according to the ONS. But of course, rather than just concede the point you come back with trolling and "you're the gift that keeps on giving" type posts, because that's how you roll. That you then complain when I, eventually, troll *you* with something that I know damn well is going to get your goat which it surely did (lulz), well, that pretty much says it all Gaywood. "Pomposity"? Nah. Just desserts matey. (Besides, I'll hardly take any lectures from you of all people on that score - lol)

Like I said, I'll just come back in spades, so if you (or anyone else) doesn't like it - don't do it. Don't come whining or grizzling to me about it afterwards, I'm neither interested or remotely bothered.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:56 
Gogmagog

Not often enough.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:56 
Excellent Member

Delia says....

"Celery is a surprisingly good vegetable for roasting and tastes delicious cooked with pancetta, shallots, white wine vinegar and herbs."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/celer ... aigr_67190

So all you haters are doing it wrong :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:02 

Cavey wrote:
You have a point Mark - but the emotive use of the term "crusade" totally undermines it. (I'm not saying I'm any better btw; this is kinda the point; it's difficult for any genuine, civil debate to take place at all, here, unless it's the Kleeeeeeeeek(tm) whereupon people largely agree anyway).

For the record I am not on a "healthy eating crusade" as such, I eat too much generally, and too much fatty foods specifically. However, I still think there's *some* truth in the quality of food being important; organic veg > normal > GM for instance, or freedom food meat > hormone and antibiotic pumped factory reared meat etc. But that's another debate.

No, I'm simply suggesting that bothering to cook and create meals from scratch is a pleasurable and worthwhile thing to do, and as a byproduct is often a healthier overall option, and therefore likely to have some health benefits? I really don't see that as contentious but then, this is Beex we're talking about, right? :roll:

Fair enough but I'm pretty sure that nobody thought that some sausage patties from Tescos would turn out to be contentious either. You can't just keep on blaming everyone else every time you get in an argument.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:08 

Call it arrogance, conceit or whatever, but I feel entirely comfortable that if I have done anything it's no worse than anyone else - but irrespective and in any event, I really don't give a shit.

I replied to Mimi at length because she's someone I've met and I think she's a very nice lady irrespective of what she thinks of me, or not, but as for Gaywood, Myp (or frankly, you) and other other detractors think - fill your boots, have a good piss and moan or whatever. For my part I think you're likely an argumentative bunch of presumably very bored people, with one axe or other to grind for reason(s) best known to yourselves.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:15 

Cavey wrote:
Call it arrogance, conceit whatever, but I feel entirely comfortable that if I have done anything it's no worse than anyone else

Neither do I. All I'm pointing out is that it takes two people to have an argument about something. Some of the things you post I can't believe that you don't want a reaction and that's fine, the place would get boring as shit without the occasional ding dong. It's just the acting all hurt and innocent afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:17 

I hardly think I'm acting innocent, I've said repeatedly I'm no better (but no worse) than anyone else.
I'd by lying if I said I wasn't hurt at times by this shit, but hey, I'll get over it.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:20 
Gogmagog

Cavey wrote:
I hardly think I'm acting innocent, I've said repeatedly I'm no better (but no worse) than anyone else.
I'd by lying if I said I wasn't hurt at times by this shit, but hey, I'll get over it.

You can broccoli my ear at bbq if you want.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:21 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:

That's an image I didn't need. :S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:22 

Waste of good broccoli. Very much my favourite vegetable. I have it with everything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:22 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Got a phone full, darlin'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:23 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:
presumably because you were pissed that I'd proved that mean, cost-of-living adjusted incomes among the working - including the early 20s - hadn't just increased from the mid 70s and early 80s as I'd originally claimed - but actually rocketed in fact, as according to the ONS

Mate, you're just embarrassing yourself now. You said that in response to his initial claim that millennials had less *disposable income* than your generation, but that wasn't ever in question. It was totally irrelevant as a statistic on its own and proving it had no point.

You offered nothing that disproved that initial statement.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:30 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Got a phone full, darlin'.

:spew:

;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:38 

Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:
presumably because you were pissed that I'd proved that mean, cost-of-living adjusted incomes among the working - including the early 20s - hadn't just increased from the mid 70s and early 80s as I'd originally claimed - but actually rocketed in fact, as according to the ONS

Mate, you're just embarrassing yourself now. You said that in response to his initial claim that millennials had less *disposable income* than your generation, but that wasn't ever in question. It was totally irrelevant as a statistic on its own and proving it had no point.

In your mind, I don't doubt you believe that. Sadly the reality, though, is that I was specifically talking about people in their early 20s (say, 21-25) and for them, it is inarguably the case, as according to the ONS info that I posted, that average incomes among the working, fully adjusted for cost of living, have increased, and not even by just a few % either. So this means that people in those age groups will likely have more money in their pocket e.g. to spend on luxury items like cars, than ever their forebears in the mid 70s or early 80s did. That's simply a fact, and no amount of "yeah but house prices" is going to change that. (People in their early 20s were hardly buying houses in their droves in the mid 70s or early 80s, not least because credit was *unbelievably* much harder to get than it is now, especially mortgages, but it's an irrelevance to my argument about buying cars. Have you seen the year-on-year *record* new car UK registrations? I mean apart from the compelling ONS data, how do you suppose that happens FFS?)

I really don't have the time to trot through the same old crap yet again (In another thread), I got things to do. As I said at the time, either believe, or don't believe - if it's the latter, I really can't help you.

But, coming back with counter-arguments, however irrelevant or bad is one thing, that I can deal with. Just trolling saying how crap I am without offering any actual counterargument at all is quite another, and as I've said, I feel entirely comfortable in responding (very successfully) accordingly.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well now I just want a McMuffin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:41 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
Well now I just want a McMuffin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cavey wrote:

In your mind, I don't doubt you believe that. Sadly the reality, though, is that I was specifically talking about people in their early 20s (say, 21-25) and for them, it is inarguably the case, as according to the ONS info that I posted, that average incomes among the working, fully adjusted for cost of living, have increased, and not even by just a few % either. So this means that people in those age groups will likely have more money in their pocket e.g. to spend on luxury items like cars, than ever their forebears in the mid 70s or early 80s did. That's simply a fact, and no amount of "yeah but house prices" is going to change that. (People in their early 20s were hardly buying houses in their droves in the mid 70s or early 80s, not least because credit was *unbelievably* much harder to get than it is now, especially mortgages, but it's an irrelevance to my argument about buying cars. Have you seen the year-on-year *record* new car UK registrations? I mean apart from the compelling ONS data, how do you suppose that happens FFS?)

I really don't have the time to trot through the same old crap yet again (In another thread), I got things to do. As I said at the time, either believe, or don't believe - if it's the latter, I really can't help you.

But, coming back with counter-arguments, however irrelevant or bad is one thing, which I can deal with. Just trolling saying how crap I am without offering any actual counterargument at all is quite another, and as I've said, I feel entirely comfortable in responding accordingly.

You really are amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:44 

Why thanks. I like to think so.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:45 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:

We're all well aware of that! :DD

Unpossible!

Cavey wrote:

Never change.

Hibernating Druid

Cavey wrote:
Just desserts matey.

You can talk about starters and main courses too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:46 

DavPaz wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Never change.

:DD

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:46 
sneering elitist

Just seen a tweet about lemon meringue pie and now I really want puddings. All the puddings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 
Hibernating Druid

Kern wrote:
Waste of good broccoli. Very much my favourite vegetable. I have it with everything.

Very good at soaking up sauces. Also: MINI TREES!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:48 
Hibernating Druid

Jem wrote:
Just seen a tweet about lemon meringue pie and now I really want puddings. All the puddings.

Cavey wrote:
Just desserts matey.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:49 
Prince of Fops

Zardoz wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Just desserts matey.

You can talk about starters and main courses too.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 
sneering elitist

Zardoz wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Just desserts matey.

Not heard of that one...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:56 
Prince of Fops

Back on topic, I'm planning on writing a book called A Passion for Mince.

Every recipe has mince at its heart.

Beef mince.

Lamb mince.

Chicken mince.

Turkey mince.

All the mince!

Out of the gate I'll have recipes for:

Chilli
Spag Bol
Thai Basil Chicken Mince
Sausage Mince and Pasta
Cheese Toasties + Mince

The list is (not really) endless.

I might take to mincing the unexpected, like broccoli. Or maybe that's the followup book.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:58 

I had never heard of courgetti until bro's wife asked for a spiraliser for Christmas. I had no idea what a spiraliser was.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Excellent! You should have both Man Chilli and Cottage Chilli as guest recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:59 
Prince of Fops

Cras wrote:
Excellent! You should have both Man Chilli and Cottage Chilli as guest recipes.

I'm aware of Man Chilli. How does Cottage Chilli differ?

I'd be honoured to include one of them in the first edition.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 13:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cottage Chilli is the chilli you make when you're drunk and you're cooking for 25 beexers. It involves getting very very bored of trying to a) brown mince and b) boil water.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 13:05 
Prince of Fops

Cras wrote:
Cottage Chilli is the chilli you make when you're drunk and you're cooking for 25 beexers. It involves getting very very bored of trying to a) brown mince and b) boil water.

Sounds like that recipe could end up being a bit New Games Journalismey. A bit too much of the chef's existential crisis.

Sounds like a section with tips on browning mince for large groups could be a winner though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 13:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It ends with drinking shots that are 50% chilli and 50% fireball cinnamon whisky.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 13:08 

Cras wrote:
It ends with drinking shots that are 50% chilli and 50% fireball cinnamon whisky.

I think you're mixing your years up. Those shots were 50% Fireball and 50% fat skimmed from the top of fajita sauce.

Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next