Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Star Citizen : open world space combat from Chris Roberts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

At times, Mr Turnip, you have a glorious turn of phrase.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:47 

As people may realise, I really don't like Star Citizen. They're preying on people, and that really gets my hackles up.

Long version:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The thing that truly baffles me about the cult that follows this game, is that this has all been seen before. I don't mean the game itself, I mean Chris Roberts' utter lack of direction and ability to manage a successful project from inception to completion.

The last game he was involved with prior to this one was Freelancer, which was basically sold as something akin to what Star Citizen is being sold as now, just not quite as advanced. The project famously kept running into delays and budgetary constraints, entirely because of Chris Roberts' "vision", which led in the end to his publishers, Microsoft, stepping in and essentially kicking him off the project (just keeping him in an "executive producer" role presumably to avoid some sort of lawsuit) and released a game that wasn't without its flaws, but was passable - it just wasn't quite what people were sold on.

With this game, they originally claimed that $3,000,000 would be enough to make the game that they envisaged during the Kickstarter phase. Then the money kept rolling in, and that all went south. Then the magic number was $65,000,000 needed to do everything. We're at $119,000,000 at the moment (last time I checked anyway) and nearly 5 years later all they have to show is a glorified CryEngine mod, and not a very good one at that. With every update, they add in features designed to make money - they sell ships for frankly ludicrous amounts of money, the ship they announced at GamesCom is for sale for a cool $250 - and that's one of the cheap ones, people have spent thousands of dollars on what are basically just JPEGs until they put them in the game.

The last update added clothing stores where you can kit your avatar out with clothes, in a similar vein to GTA4/5, but done somehow worse, and with a clear focus on paying real money to get clothes. This in a game where you currently can't walk around your ship without falling through the floor, or can glitch out through 90% of the walls that are supposed to contain you within the space station. Oh, and where if you go into hyperspace at a certain place, you get water splash effects on your screen, because CryEngine has a water layer on every map that they've just hidden and not bothered to work out how to disable properly*

Without a publisher to rein him in, Chris Roberts just keeps blathering away, waving his hands around and adding a huge amount of technical debt on to the development team in every interview. Almost every question asked about the game and what people can do it is met with a "yes" - "Can we go to the toilet on our spaceships?", "Yes."

And when you listen to interviews with him and the team, it's all about what they "hope to do", and "would like to have" in the game - there's basically no content in there after 5 years. Compare Chris Roberts' mushmouth with David Braben's interviews at GamesCom this year, and they're a world apart. One shows someone who doesn't really have a clue what's going on, the other one shows someone who clearly loves what they do (and yes, I'm a bit of a Braben fanboi :P)

* They apparently spent months trying to work out why their ship handling was off in certain parts of their "world" - they'd be flying along and would just suddenly change course and slow down. Eventually someone realised that the water layer was still there, so the ships were literally flying into what the physics engine considered to be water and reacting accordingly.

TL;DR: This is a gigantic scam, with more focus on raising money than actually making a game. Avoid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:16 

I agree with Gaz. Star Citizen is shady as shit.

Post subject: Re: Space Citizen: open world space combat from Chris Roberts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:22 

Grim... wrote:
So, Star Citizen have promised to make up some alien language(s) if they get $50,000,000 in pre-orders.

They are currently on $48m.

Forty-eight. Million.
Consider this post, which was made in July 2014. The initial Kickstarter was October 2012, so it was already almost two years in when Grim... posted. That was two years ago; since then, it's raised a further $71m and changed its terms of service to remove a clause that granted refunds if the game was more than eighteen months late.

Grim... wrote:
There's simply no reason for them to actually release this game - the money just keeps pouring in.
Prescient.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:40 
Excellent Member

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... st-Digital

$18,000 for a set of ships and other stuff!

The blurb for this starts off with "Need to have it all?"

Then half way down tells you that $18,000 is not enough for a Javelin Destroyer ship to be included, but don't worry once you have shelled the money out for this pack then the ability to spend more on a Javelin Destroyer will be unlocked!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:54 
Unpossible!

EIGHTEEN FUCKING THOUSAND DOLLARS?

Of real actual folding real-world money?

And people are actually falling for this shit?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:34 
Paws for thought

If you can find someone who bought it for $18000, then yes, people are actually falling for that shit.

Otherwise, probably not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:34 
Excellent Member

On the original Kick Starter page one person did buy a $10,000 donation package.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:37 

Mr Dave wrote:
If you can find someone who bought it for $18000, then yes, people are actually falling for that shit.

Otherwise, probably not.

There are people on their forums that are in for over $30,000 - and are proud of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:40 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I am sorry, I thought you said $30,000 for a game?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:48 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

No, 30k gets you some ship models, there is no game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:49 

Bobbyaro wrote:
No, 30k gets you some ship JPEGs, there is no game.

FeEx.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:57 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Wow....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:57 
Paws for thought

GazChap wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Otherwise, probably not.

There are people on their forums that are in for over $30,000 - and are proud of it.

Any evidence that they actually have? It's easy to pretend you have excess money.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 13:24 

No evidence that doesn't come from CIG/RSI, which immediately makes me dubious.

Still, assuming the funding tracker is true, the money is coming from somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 13:27 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
No evidence that doesn't come from CIG/RSI, which immediately makes me dubious.

Still, assuming the funding tracker is true, the money is coming from somewhere.

If you trust the funding trackers. It's like the gpu monitoring apps people use that under report on the 3 weeks leading up to the launch of a new card so their 63fps goes down to 59.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 14:26 
Excellent Member

The Game footage they showed looked really good. So not sure I understand why people say the game at present is so shit??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 14:29 

I guess that the developers can make even a bug-riddled mess of a game look ok by knowing how to avoid all the bugs. But as someone pretty ingorant of the whole thing I agree it looked stunning in that demo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 14:30 

asfish wrote:
The Game footage they showed looked really good. So not sure I understand why people say the game at present is so shit??

It's a mystery.
GazChap wrote:
This in a game where you currently can't walk around your ship without falling through the floor, or can glitch out through 90% of the walls that are supposed to contain you within the space station. Oh, and where if you go into hyperspace at a certain place, you get water splash effects on your screen, because CryEngine has a water layer on every map that they've just hidden and not bothered to work out how to disable properly
I guess we'll never really know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 14:42 

asfish wrote:

See also: Aliens - Colonial Marines.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9p_xzaNjU

Also, at GamesCom (where they announced this cool video) they had a booth setup that had 6 monitors that were used by their Twitch streamers to stream the game to the world at large. They were streaming Alpha version 2.4, because Alpha version 2.5 is reportedly a massive step backwards from the "quality" (and I use that term loosely) in 2.4.

Their entire booth at GamesCom was basically fenced off from the public so that Joe Public couldn't see how bad the game was in it's current state. Even on the Twitch streams they kept having to turn them off while they reset the game and reinstalled it and stuff.

If they had a game that was any good, why wouldn't they be streaming THAT version?

It's an absolute fucking shambles and I'm amazed that they've raised nearly $120,000,000 off this shit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 15:16 
Excellent Member

Hope that they do end up releasing something that looks like their "promotion footage"

Looking at this and you wonder if $120 million is enough?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... to_develop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 15:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If you're a small studio crowdfunding a game, then yes, raising enough money to come in the top 10 most expensive games of all time is absolutely bloody enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 15:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I thought it was quite good fun when I tried it. Although I didn't fall through my ship.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 15:40 
Prince of Fops

Cras wrote:
If you're a small studio crowdfunding a game, then yes, raising enough money to come in the top 10 most expensive games of all time is absolutely bloody enough.

What's more, in terms of pure development cost, it's currently 4th most expensive. And development hasn't finished yet.

Christ knows what was happening with The Old Republic. Holding their stand-ups on Endor or something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 16:37 

Cras wrote:

The irony is, they're not a small studio any more - they have over 400 employees by most accounts, spread across four offices across the globe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 16:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm not surprised - they've got 120 million bucks to burn ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 18:15 

So apparently the website I visited (which was probably Eurogamer, but I don't remember) was confused when it stated that the game was due for release at the end of this year. It is the Alpha 3 (which was what was demoed) that is due for release at that point according to RPS, which makes a lot more sense.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's just broken the $200m barrier.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 13:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

Money well spent...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 14:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

Looking back, last time I tried this was about 3 years ago... I'll download it again and see what's up!

edit : thinking about it, I also have a free copy of destiny 2 to play too, I guess I know what my sunday is going to be. I was almost bored enough to buy a PSVR, but that can wait now...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 14:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Don't play Destiny 2, it's a turd.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 14:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cras wrote:
Don't play Destiny 2, it's a turd.

Free turd though, best kind of turd.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 18:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

Star citizen. 2 minutes in and I turned it off in disgust. £200m seems to have been spent on making choosing how to invert your Y axis as complicated as possible.

There isn't an invert Y button, there are literally 50+ different toggles for inversion of everything, across all possible concurrent control schemes (mouse, joystick, keyboard, gamepad). Each of them is a compounded tree where you can select inversion for FPS mode, flight mode, hangar mode, turret mode, ground vehicle mode, free look mode, walking mode and some other modes. Select inversion for any of those modes and it inverts everything. X axis too... So you have to drill down into each and invert the Y axis for each mode individually, but it's not called Y axis, it's called pitch, or view, or something else dependent on the mode you are in. And you have to repeat the same exercise for each control method.
So I did all that, took ages, game crashed coming out of the control menu and starting it up again it has lost all the settings...
So I do it all again, get it setup right. Didn't crash this time! Start the game by going into my hangar... the x axis is inverted, even though I told it not to be...

Turned off the game and gave up, what a load of shit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 18:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
edit : thinking about it, I also have a free copy of destiny 2 to play too, I guess I know what my sunday is going to be. I was almost bored enough to buy a PSVR, but that can wait now...

Apparently it's a lot better now, Bungie have really sorted it out by all accounts.

I got a free copy with the 1080 in Mrs Hearthly's new PC, I've got it all installed and ready to go. Haven't played it yet likes.....

Well, I did fire it up to see if my PC can run it at native 4K at 60FPS (which it can, just about, with a couple of settings dropped down a notch). My graphics card didn't know what'd hit it, poor thing only has to do Hearthstone and fruit machine emulators normally. The fans were like, what's this shit, you want me to spin now?

I'll actually try playing it at some point, probably.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 16:50 

Genius.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 17:27 
Gogmagog

Idgi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 17:31 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Idgi

He’s living in space, implying it’s somewhere in the distant future.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 23:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Star citizen. 2 minutes in and I turned it off in disgust. £200m seems to have been spent on making choosing how to invert your Y axis as complicated as possible.

There isn't an invert Y button, there are literally 50+ different toggles for inversion of everything, across all possible concurrent control schemes (mouse, joystick, keyboard, gamepad). Each of them is a compounded tree where you can select inversion for FPS mode, flight mode, hangar mode, turret mode, ground vehicle mode, free look mode, walking mode and some other modes. Select inversion for any of those modes and it inverts everything. X axis too... So you have to drill down into each and invert the Y axis for each mode individually, but it's not called Y axis, it's called pitch, or view, or something else dependent on the mode you are in. And you have to repeat the same exercise for each control method.
So I did all that, took ages, game crashed coming out of the control menu and starting it up again it has lost all the settings...
So I do it all again, get it setup right. Didn't crash this time! Start the game by going into my hangar... the x axis is inverted, even though I told it not to be...

Turned off the game and gave up, what a load of shit.

My third time of playing the game, once in 2015, once in 2018, once in 2020.

Current thoughts from tonight:

1) Performance is shockingly bad, and it looks like utter shit. Even running in 1080p mode on low I was getting major framerate issues just walking around. 1080p looked like 640x480 zoomed in.
2) The first person walking around will make you vomit, the dude is constantly moving and sliding around after you stop your input, it will cause motion sickness. I could feel myself starting literally within the first movement of the mouse.
3) It doesn't recognise the throttle control on my HOTAS and I can't make it see it.
4) I literally couldn't even find my ship in the main game, there is no indication of what to do or where to go to even find the hangar, and I had to stop wandering around aimlessly as it was making me seasick.
5) inverted mouse control also inverts the cursor when the cursor is on the screen... good job guys.

It doesn't seem to have progressed at all since I last tried it (and looking at my 2015 post, it looks to have gone backwards). I'm completely convinced that it is a scam.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 15:59 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

It's funny that this game still isn't done, and still has no release date. Some of the screenshots they've released look really pretty though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 16:37 
Excellent Member

Stop hurrying them along Squirt, it's not even been ten years yet, only a mere nine and a half.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 17:34 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I think maybe it's not a game about spaceships, it's a piece of interactive fiction about the troubled release of a game about spaceships.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 17:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
There's simply no reason for them to actually release this game - the money just keeps pouring in.

Called it!

Also - didn't listen to my own advice!

Attachment:
2014-07-17 15.38.04.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 18:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

it's been 18 months since i last tried it, should probably give it another go and see just how bad it is still

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 18:10 

Grim... wrote:
Also - didn't listen to my own advice!

Does it get you into nightclubs?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 18:47 

I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before they start trying to sell their spaceship JPEGs as NFTs instead of just regular JPEGs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 18:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
it's been 18 months since i last tried it, should probably give it another go and see just how bad it is still

You should, so I don't have to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 0:09 
Sitting balls-back folder

GazChap wrote:
I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before they start trying to sell their spaceship JPEGs as NFTs instead of just regular JPEGs.

At some point someone's going to do an xzibit meme about blockchains and then the Dogecoin thing will happen again and the only reason I think that hasn't already happened is that the world isn't *completely* on fire yet but now I've written it down... Sorry everyone.

Edit: No more obvious thread on the front page so

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2