Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PC Gaming Topic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:36 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

JohnCoffey wrote:
No other Dead Island fans then?

I played a little of the first two on the 360 but they never really grabbed me.

The reviews of the remastered games are a bit mixed and I've plenty of other stuff to play right now so maybe a cheap buy later.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:40 
UltraMod

I played the first one for a bit and it was hilariously broken. The good bits reminded me of Oblivion with zombies though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:37 
Excellent Member

I got the 1st in a bundle and instinctively hated right away. I didn't found any fun to be had with it.

I'm playing Broken Age now. It looks wonderful, but as far Point & click adventures go, it's pretty mediocre.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 13:37 
Paws for thought

The idea never really appealed.

I've long since passed the point that zombie games are new and interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 14:28 
Esoteric

I will admit it's very repetitive. I guess if you're autistic then your luck's in and if not it would be a bit shit :D

I just love exploring the island though. They really nailed the look and feel of the game. I never really bothered much with modded weapons before but this time I have modded nearly every weapon I have. The 'leccy is so much fun, they dance like Michael Jackson does in thriller if you catch them right :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:39 
Hello Hello Hello

The newest Need for Speed game which was discussed a bit earlier in this thread is now half price on Origin, this makes it €34.99 for the Deluxe Edition, which for me with Paypal worked out to £28.61.

That's the sort of price I was waiting for so I've snagged it, downloading now.

There's also a big Origin sale on at the the moment, so possibly worth taking a look to see what's on offer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 13:45 
Esoteric

Oh cool you got it :) let us know what you think. I haven't played it in ages due to my monitor change, GPU shuffle and so on. I kinda got caught up in Fallout 4 DLC and now Dead Island but I have the game saved on the Origin cloud so can pick it back up. Still got Doom to finish yet but I'm finding Dead Island a good way to escape the bs going on with the flat etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 18:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Well that was slightly alarming for a short while, I was getting regular and catastrophic framerate drops which were rendering the game unplayable.

However, what pointed me off in the right direction for a fix was:

1) The intro missions had worked perfectly

and

2) It didn't matter what resolution and graphics settings I was running at, the same regular, brief drops down to 1-5FPS were happening.

(On top of that, CPU and GPU temps were in control, so it wasn't some crazy throttling thing going on.)

So I decided to try going into 'play alone' mode, rather than the default 'open world' mode the game runs in. (This was where '1' had given me a clue, as the intro missions are before you go into the online game, and they'd been fine.)

And yep, that fixed it, rock solid after that - so clearly some weird lag/hack/shit thing going on with other players in my game.

Unfortunately I can't quite pimp it totally out at 2560x1440 and maintain a solid 60FPS with v-sync on (dropping into the mid 40s on a fairly regular basis), so I've decided instead to go for 1920x1080 with everything on maximum pimpage and v-synced up.

It is indeed a gorgeous looking game, and now I'll get a chance to actually play it - PC gaming eh? Lol. As ever these days though, controls wise it's 100% perfect right out of the gate with a 360 pad.

Oh yes I quite like the cheesy FME stuff as well, it feels pleasantly NFS to me. Also, Amy is cute.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 22:52 
Esoteric

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zotac-ge ... 90-zt.html

It happened....

oops wrong thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:14 
Hello Hello Hello

The new NFS game is great, if you liked the original NFSU then this is basically that game again but in splendid modern-o-vision.

It has its flaws, the lack of any meaningful tutorials or explanation of many of the game's mechanics has left me Googling a couple of things, but these are things you only need to find out once.

There seems to be some sort of compensation going on, so I have a beast of an E43 M3 for when I'm in the open world, but the same car in a race situation suddenly gets a lot slower, I don't mind this though as it keeps the races interesting.

It's spectacularly pretty too, one of those games that you actually step back from a bit just to admire how lovely it is - nice to see the Frostbite engine being used for something other than a BF game.

Around £25 on PC now direct from Origin, not sure what's happened to the console prices but well worth a look if you're into your arcadey style racers and like admiring shiny cars and sticking loads of extra bits on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 14:02 
Hello Hello Hello

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

viewtopic.php?p=489949#p489949

There's literally no point typing out a new post, when I can link to a nearly six year old post about NTS Hot Pursuit and have it be entirely relevant to the new NFS game.

Except I will do a new post as well, now I come to think about it.

I've been stepping up to the HARD events the last couple of nights, and deliberately doing so in cars that are up to the job, but not pimped out to the max either. In particular there was a pretty long race against seven other cars, over a long, twisting course that traversed a good amount of the map. The difficulty level was such that even slowing down a bit, or fluffing a corner but not having a smash, was plenty enough to get overtaken by a car or two.

So what's the last thing you want in this sort of scenario? Yes, that's right, RANDOM TRAFFIC.

It took me six attempts to get the win, four of those were lost because of horrible random traffic encounters, one was where I did actually fuck up, and then I finally got the win on the sixth attempt.

Why have other traffic on the roads at all during the race events? By all means have them there when you're in the free roaming mode, but in a race situation, just...... no.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 14:39 
Esoteric

NFSU did that too dude. Errant box van last corner of a ten minute adrenaline fueled race.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 15:07 

Need for Speed franchise: An unbroken line of wet excrement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 15:50 
UltraMod

lasermink wrote:

:this: I don't understand why anyone above the age of 16 plays them, myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 15:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Because they're fast, fun and exciting.

As far as arcade racers go they're up there with the best, like, Outrun 2006 Coast2Coast levels of good. (Well, almost.)

I find the likes of the Gran Turismo games, and Project Cars, and all that 'sim' stuff incredibly dry and boring, but I can understand they appeal to some folks.

Give me an NFS game over a Forza game any day of the week. Or a Burnout game, I loved all the Burnout games.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 16:06 

I also love the Burnout games (except Revenge which also has too much rage inducing randomness). NFS is nothing like them. And comparing them to the Out Run games just boggles the mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 16:28 
UltraMod

Great arcade racing games include:
Burnouts 2, 3 and Paradise
Split/Second
Outrun 2 and C2C
Ridge Racer Type 4

Not Need For Speed. They are utter gash except for the one Criterion did, and that's because it was just Burnout Cops v Robbers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 16:37 
Unpossible!

I enjoyed NFSU2 on the OG Xbox. Probably because it was the first game of that type that I'd ever played.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 17:07 
Hello Hello Hello

lasermink wrote:
I also love the Burnout games (except Revenge which also has too much rage inducing randomness). NFS is nothing like them. And comparing them to the Out Run games just boggles the mind.

They're all broadly what you'd call 'arcade style racing games', and I like the genre. The new NFS game is an arcade racer. Outrun2 and Outrun2C2C are arcade racers.

In the simplest terms I'd say you have ARCADE and SIMULATION albeit not as black and white as that, but I like stuff at the arcade end of the scale.

The new NFS game has a lot of Burnout Paradise about it, (mostly the free-roaming world peppered with all sorts of events and challenges and things to find), which is a thoroughly good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 17:24 
UltraMod

You're talking to us like we don't like arcade racers. We do, just not shit ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 18:12 
Hello Hello Hello

As far as I'm aware only me and JC here have actually played the new NFS, so calling it a shit game is pretty ignorant.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 19:05 
UltraMod

Stop white-knighting for EA. They won't sleep with you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 20:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Your mum did though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:21 
Esoteric

lasermink wrote:

Oh I don't know it's had its moments. The original Road & Track magazine one with the annoying rival was great fun and the Underground series were amazing. Anything in between those and after (apart from the latest NFS) has been toss though. I never liked the police chases in the first instance (the old PSX game) and IMO they have ruined what could have otherwise been great games (like Carbon and Most Wanted).

This new one though almost goes back to its roots. Apparently it's by Black Box? the team who did the original NFSU. And it shows. It's great fun, it looks beautiful and you can avoid the police if you so wish.

Underneath? the gameplay is exactly the same as NFSU. So rubber banding, unfair placement of vehicles (you can't win a race until the AI decides you can win it*) and so on. However, all of the magic from the original NFSU (annoying things aside) is there IMO.

* I noticed in the original NFSU that certain events seemed to be rigged. Most notably a couple of drag races very late in the game. The only way to win was to keep restarting the event until the AI cars crashed. Otherwise they were simply too fast to catch, even on a perfect run. And this was with the best car maxed out.

There was also another race about four races from the end of the game that was as Hearthly described. One wrong turn = fail. One crash? you'd be left so far behind that you may as well just quit. Random objects thrown into your path etc. In NFSU this race I talk of was a real cunt. You had to make a 90' turn right before the finish line and it met with a junction. A white box van would pull out. It was almost impossible to dodge, and if you hit it every one whirred past you. It was extremely annoying.

I guess that is Black Box's difficulty AI. Make the race close to impossible, and only let the player win after they've attempted it X times.

Now in NFSU that wasn't a problem as you could reload the race almost instantly. But in the new one you can't. You have to quit and exit the race before restarting it and the load times are far longer than a few seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 13:39 
Hello Hello Hello

JohnCoffey wrote:
But in the new one you can't. You have to quit and exit the race before restarting it and the load times are far longer than a few seconds.

There's a restart option, just bring up the screen that has the mobile phone style icons on it, there's a restart option in there. (It's the little 'back' button on a 360 pad IIRC, next to the big green X in the middle.) This is an instant restart of the current event and only takes a few seconds.

It's another one of those things in this game that isn't in any way explained to you, and doesn't appear in any logical sort of place, so you have to find it yourself.

That said I had another blast with this game last night, it's not perfect but aside from the random traffic all my other complaints are just niggles really, when you get a properly good run and are chaining the nitrous and the drifts perfectly and you get to a near-zen sort of 'zoned in' state, it's a thing of real beauty.

Great soundtrack too, not in a GTA style 'Oh another song I recognise' sort of way (although there are some like that), the tunes they've chosen just fit the game very well.

Got a 1976 Mark 1 Golf GTi nicely tricked out at the moment, that's fun to drive, although I don't think they were really designed to have 250hp on tap :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 13:51 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Lonewolves wrote:
Split/Second
Outrun 2 and C2C
Ridge Racer Type 4

Not Need For Speed. They are utter gash except for the one Criterion did, and that's because it was just Burnout Cops v Robbers.

Would you not include Daytona in this list? I would, in fact.. I would replace Burnout Paradise for it. I never got on with it you see.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 14:41 
Esoteric

Yeah I agree it's terribly documented and reviews were non existent which is a shame as it's a decent racer underneath it all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 14:41 

Not sure I'd count OutRun 2 or C2C as a "racing game", as you're not really racing so much as looking at the pretty cars and landscapes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 14:51 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Not sure I'd count OutRun 2 or C2C as a "racing game", as you're not really racing so much as looking at the pretty cars and landscapes.

You clearly haven't delved properly into C2C's COAST TO COAST career mode and the hard Flagman/Girlfriend challenges!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 14:53 
Esoteric

Heart attack ftw!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 15:04 

Hearthly wrote:
GazChap wrote:

You clearly haven't delved properly into C2C's COAST TO COAST career mode and the hard Flagman/Girlfriend challenges!

Not tried the Coast to Coast mode to my knowledge, but the Flagman/Girlfriend challenges are just "keep passing cars", "drift more" type stuff aren't they? :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 15:11 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Not tried the Coast to Coast mode to my knowledge, but the Flagman/Girlfriend challenges are just "keep passing cars", "drift more" type stuff aren't they? :P

Yes but when you're trying to AAA every single one the idea that you're just admiring the cars and the scenery is a long way from the truth :) Some of the later ones are brutally hard, albeit very fair.

I absolutely love C2C, I was playing it just a few nights ago on PC. The logon servers are long gone so you have to play it in offline mode with a local user, but it all still works OK.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 15:17 

Yeah, I got it working via my SteamLink the other day - didn't think running a non-Steam game through it would work, but it does. Much fun.

Shame that Sega lost the licence!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 15:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Indeed, you can't even buy the game any more, it's not on the Steam Store to purchase, but if it's already in your library you can still install it.

Bit worrying really, that a game can just 'disappear' because the original publisher lost the licence.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 16:26 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Split/Second
Outrun 2 and C2C
Ridge Racer Type 4

Would you not include Daytona in this list? I would, in fact.. I would replace Burnout Paradise for it. I never got on with it you see.

Of course. :)

You never played BP with us then, obviously!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 16:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Lonewolves wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Split/Second
Outrun 2 and C2C
Ridge Racer Type 4

I didn't no, I did play with some other friends though but maybe I didn't give it a chance? It does seem that I'm in the minority.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 16:29 
Hibernating Druid

If you remember playing Bezzie Burnout Paradise you weren't really there.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 16:32 

TheVision wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Split/Second
Outrun 2 and C2C
Ridge Racer Type 4

I didn't no, I did play with some other friends though but maybe I didn't give it a chance? It does seem that I'm in the minority.

Even if we only consider single player, it's still one of my favourite games of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 16:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It is NOTHING in single player. NOTHING.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 16:37 
Paws for thought

Zardoz wrote:
If you remember 8 peocars trying to fit on Dimrills plank you weren't really there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:50 
Hello Hello Hello

NFS had me playing past midnight last night, which is a pretty rare thing for a game these days because I'm old and basically just waiting for retirement and then death.

I have enough cash to buy any of the best cars in the game, but I'm quite enjoying seeing how far I can push my early cars. (Subaru BRZ, Mk 1 Golf GTi, E43 M3.) The hard races are getting super-challenging now though so I may have to cave and buy something better before too long, as even a single minor error pretty much scuppers my chance of a win.

You really could think of this game as NFSU3, with the style-of-the-times open roaming world element chucked in for good measure. Every event has a 'TELEPORT' option right from the start of the game, so there's none of that having to drive to every event nonsense that blighted the otherwise incredible Burnout Paradise (I know they patched in a restart option but even then you had to get to the start line for each event).

In fact, it's basically a cross between NFSU and Burnout Paradise/Most Wanted, and it costs less than £30 on Origin, so there you go.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:16 
Esoteric

Glad you're enjoying it. I wondered for a while if it were 'just me' sort of thing. I was a massive fan of the first two NFSU games. I even built a new PC just so I could play the first one (Athy XP 1700 OC to 2000 speeds with a Radeon 9200 Pro). Eee, them were the days ! the whole lot cost me about $300 and a decent GPU was $129. Those days are coming back though thanks to AMD !) but yeah, sorry for digressing there but I thought that maybe I only liked this game because I was desperate and that it was really a pile of honking shit.

I don't understand why there are practically no reviews for it whatsoever and reviews for the PS4 version are poor. It scored around 6/10 in the reviews I read, hardly a glowing endorsement. Yet it's actually much much better than that. I would give it a good solid 8.5/10 which puts it in the "must play" sort of category. Yet it seems EA have done everything to stop players playing it :S

It was eye wateringly expensive (ME Catalyst has just launched for SIXTY DOLLARS /eek emoticon) and pretty much no reviews to document all of the fixes and changes since the PS4 version.

It's almost like EA wanted it to fail just to spite all of the petitions and arguing and people sending them hate mail for not making NFSU III (and that went pretty far, especially the petition part !).

Nuts man. Just plain nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 13:47 
Hello Hello Hello

I have purchased WOLFENSTEIN THE NEW ORDER for £7.49 on Steam in a sale. I am posting in this thread about it because the install is 47GB. Wasn't this on 360 and PS3?

I think it's those MEGA TEXTURE things, but even so, 47GB, for what was a last-gen console game.

A 500GB SSD doesn't go that far in this day and age.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 13:54 

I may have been cross-gen, but The New Order definitely shipped for PS4 - I own it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 18:51 
Comfortably Dumb

Bought my first Steam early access game yesterday, Pixel Cup Soccer 17. I've been struggling to get into the small number of footy games on Steam but I'm enjoying this one. Plays like the old arcade game Football Champ with simple controls but very polished for an early access game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:53 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I may have been cross-gen, but The New Order definitely shipped for PS4 - I own it.

Yep.. I've got it on the Xbox One too. I should get into it as I quite enjoyed the one for the 360.. can't remember the name of it, but it was good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:53 
Paws for thought

TheVision wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yep.. I've got it on the Xbox One too. I should get into it as I quite enjoyed the one for the 360.. can't remember the name of it, but it was good.

"Wolfenstein"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:54 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
I have purchased WOLFENSTEIN THE NEW ORDER for £7.49 on Steam in a sale. I am posting in this thread about it because the install is 47GB. Wasn't this on 360 and PS3?

I think it's those MEGA TEXTURE things, but even so, 47GB, for what was a last-gen console game.

A 500GB SSD doesn't go that far in this day and age.

That's a very decent game. Graphics are a bit ropey at times (all looks a bit two gens ago) but yeah, top game I completed that one twice :)

Avoid the follow up DLC though. It's very hard and nowhere near as good as the first bit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:58 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

"Wolfenstein"

It was on the tip of my tongue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 15:04 
Esoteric

Just bought my first ever Lego game, Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens for the very reasonable price of £10.99 on CDkeys.

Downloading it now, the trailer made it look most excellent :D Never played a Lego title before but it sure does look like fun :)

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next