Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android Apps and Games
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Apple added a permissions prompt into iOS6 to allow access to your contacts (without warning, between final GM release and public release, cunts). The app we use for access to email on iPhones didn't know how to handle a user saying no, so it completely crapped out. That was fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:07 
Excellent Member

I genuinely don't understand how you think it's even vaguely possible to expect a functional app if users are able to arbitrarily deny any combination of permissions. My mind is boggled that you think that's at all reasonable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:15 

I would feel more comfortable if apps said why they needed it, and if the categories weren't so vague.

You want ALL my texts? Or just one for verification?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
I genuinely don't understand how you think it's even vaguely possible to expect a functional app if users are able to arbitrarily deny any combination of permissions. My mind is boggled that you think that's at all reasonable.

You would make it not run if any of the permissions are missing - much like if you try and install something that requires a camera on a device without one, for example (it shouldn't even be able to install, I don't think, although you could probably force it).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:25 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

You would make it not run if any of the permissions are missing - much like if you try and install something that requires a camera on a device without one, for example (it shouldn't even be able to install, I don't think, although you could probably force it).

Why offer the choice of denying individual permissions if you're just going to stop the app running when they refuse any of them? What does that accomplish? I think I must be missing something in what you're suggesting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Kern wrote:
I would feel more comfortable if apps said why they needed it, and if the categories weren't so vague.

You want ALL my texts? Or just one for verification?

The thing is, the app isn't asking you, so it can't give you this information. The OS is telling you what the app is asking for access to.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

Myp would hate the game anyway, it's full of IAP.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:39 
UltraMod

Basically what I'm saying is that Android sucks donkey balls.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:49 
Excellent Member

How is this all handled on the iOS side? The only time I've installed iOS apps is my team's shitty iPad app and it never asked any questions or gave any indication what access it needed but I don't know if that's usual or not?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 13:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Why offer the choice of denying individual permissions if you're just going to stop the app running when they refuse any of them? What does that accomplish? I think I must be missing something in what you're suggesting.

I'm not saying it's a good idea - it's not. At all.

But if it did come about that's how I'd handle it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 14:44 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I'm not saying it's a good idea - it's not. At all.

But if it did come about that's how I'd handle it.

Luckily none of us need to worry about what weird shit we'd have to do just to get by if we lived in Mypworld.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 16:25 

Bamba wrote:
How is this all handled on the iOS side? The only time I've installed iOS apps is my team's shitty iPad app and it never asked any questions or gave any indication what access it needed but I don't know if that's usual or not?

iOS has a run-time prompt (as opposed to Android's install-time list) for each permission an app requests. However, it's a much smaller set that Android's permissions; off the top of my head, access to: the microphone; the camera; the photo library; contacts; calendars; location; probably a couple more I've forgotten. This can result in a deluge of permission prompts when you first open a big app, particularly as the number of permissions has increased over iOS's life. Apps have to be coded to degrade gracefully when a permission is declined.

Some Android permissions don't exist on iOS because all apps get them by default, like the "allow app to access the Internet" permission. All iOS apps can always access the Internet. Other Android permissions are things iOS apps can never do, like access SMS or call a phone number. This allows Android to have classes of apps iOS cannot have, like custom diallers, message clients, launchers, and many more.

iOS 8 tightened this model in a few places. For example, rather than requesting read/write access to your entire contacts list forever (the old model), an app can now say to iOS itself "I want one contact." iOS throws up an OS-level screen where the user picks a single contact, then the app only receives that contact's details and nothing else (and only once, it doesn't see any future changes you make.)

There are third party hacks in some custom Android ROMs that bring an iOS-style permission system to Android. This can expose numerous "bugs" in third party apps when you decline a permission it was expecting to receive. In general, the workaround is to feed the app dummy data when it asks for stuff behind the permission; an empty list for contacts, a black square for the camera, silence for the microphone, and so on. It still makes a lot of apps go bang, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 16:38 
Excellent Member

Cool, thanks for explaining all that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 23:03 
UltraMod

Apology accepted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 23:22 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Apology accepted.

No one knows what you're talking about. I don't just mean this time. I mean every single time you express yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:DD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 14:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Cobracure wrote:
Currently playing Light Shadow Racing.

As with all the best games, a simple concept extremely well done.

It's drag racing, with 6 tiers of cars, upgrading them and its 1v1 against computer or other players.

Features Quests, Career, Tasks and 2 hour, 6 hour and 24 hour races (races only take 8-20 seconds then when the timer is up, the winners get $ and gold to upgrade some more or buy another car.)

Anyway, check it out its very addictive (and possible to play completely free)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l&hl=en_GB

https://www.facebook.com/lightshadowonline?ref=hl

Seems alright, but the mute option doesn't mute all the sounds, so it'll have to be deleted.

I've actually played loads of this over the weekend, it's really addictive,and racing actually has a skill element to it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 14:34 
Excellent Member

Fucking hell but Botanicula is a good game. Beautifully designed and flat out just fun to play with some of the best sound design I've ever heard on a game on any platform. I've caught myself twice on the train standing there giggling like a loon at the comedy sound some random insect or other has made; it's doing wonders to brighten up my morning commute and I'll genuinely be a bit sad when I finish it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 19:14 
Excellent Member

Out There is pretty cool. Kind of life FTL but prettier, although not as good and more shallow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 20:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And fucking hard.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 22:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Fucking hell but Botanicula is a good game.

I can't get past this little fucker.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 22:40 
Excellent Member

That's the best bit and I actually laughed out loud on the train when I did it.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
You tap and drag the striped spikey bit to bend it down towards the dog and hold it there until he bounces on top of it. Then you let go and catapults him hilariously out of the screen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 
Excellent Member

I'm currently thoroughly enjoying Silly Sausage in Meat Land. At first glance it looks most like the perennial Snake but when you actually play it the comparison doesn't hold up and it reminds me most of stuff like Qix where you had to move through levels without letting enemies hit your 'tail'.

It's a free game with an interesting approach to monetisation. As you play you pick up gems, which are entirely optional but usually placed in riskier to reach corners of each level. At the end of each level is a save point, but to access that save point you've got two options:

• Spend an amount of your collected gems
  • Watch a 8-30 second video ad

The individual levels are pretty short once you've worked them out but can take quite a few retries so I found myself wanting to activate pretty much all the save points I came to, but I've only had to watch a handful of adverts to do that so it's pretty generous with the gems. Especially given that when you die you get to keep any gems you picked up so you can grab some of them even if you know you won't survive the attempt.

Anyway, all that aside it's a fun game that's well worth playing. Final selling point: you get an achievement for sniffing your own butt.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 15:45 
Excellent Member

Can anyone beat my score of 2 in the 'Flappy Android' game that is the Lollipop Easter egg? It's hard as fuck.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:42 
Excellent Member

everyone should play Sorcery!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:15 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
Can anyone beat my score of 2 in the 'Flappy Android' game that is the Lollipop Easter egg? It's hard as fuck.

I'll try, once my phone gets the update.

Edit: Rogue apostrophe.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:20 
Excellent Member

I made it up to three on it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 13:34 
Excellent Member

The awesome ninja-em-up Shadow Blade is today's free app on the Amazon app store so everyone would be well advised to get themselves some of that action.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 13:38 
Excellent Member

The "Ida's Dream" DLC for Monument Valley (which was previously iOS exclusive) is now available for free on the Android side of the fence as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 22:04 
Excellent Member

Anyone with a Cardboard viewer owes it to themselves to check out Titans of Space. It's a tour through our solar system (and beyond) and uses VR to show of the mind-fuckingly large scale and distances involved in a way I've never experienced before. Highly recommended and, depending on your existing level of knowledge, potentially jaw-dropping stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 13:28 
EvilTrousers

Bamba wrote:
Anyone with a Cardboard viewer owes it to themselves to check out Titans of Space. It's a tour through our solar system (and beyond) and uses VR to show of the mind-fuckingly large scale and distances involved in a way I've never experienced before. Highly recommended and, depending on your existing level of knowledge, potentially jaw-dropping stuff.

Well thanks to this post I bought a cardboard viewer and gave it a go.

FUCK ME.

Everyone at work thinks it's some kind of magic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 13:56 
Excellent Member

I had mine down at my parents house last night so that they and some of their friends could spend an hour fighting over who's go it was next on the virtual roller coaster. They were all very impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 14:03 

Wow yeah, that Titans Of Space is a fucking trip, man.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:13 
Excellent Member

I'm currently hopelessly addicted to Brain Dots.

It's got a lot in common with Crayon Physics for anyone who's played that. Each level has a pink and blue dot which you need to get to touch to finish the level; gravity affects the dots themselves and the bits of furniture in each level. You interact with the world by drawing lines on screen which, as soon as you lift your finger, are instantly subject to the physics of the game like everything else.

Things start off pretty simple but the later levels can be a real brain-fuck (until you work out the solution at which point, in the best tradition of these things, it's obvious and simple). There's an utter fuck ton of levels and despite playing it for hours I'm still only about two thirds of the way through. There are YouTube videos available for the whole game so if you get completely stuck and want to kick yourself at how easy the level was the option is always there.

It's completely free so worth a shot, and the only downsides are some annoyingly random ads and the odd crash-out on my phone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:32 
Excellent Member

As noted elsewhere by Mimi, Amazon have a new Android app store called 'Amazon Underground' which includes a shedload of previously paid apps for free; including all available in-app purchases. Finding and then browsing the list on the new app itself is pretty horrible but hopefully this link gives you a view on their site of all the apps included:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... ound&ajr=2

I only found one game in that list I was interested in but only because I've already played everything else I fancied. For the sake of trying to be helpful, here's a list of stuff on there that I've enjoyed in the past (or that I don't fancy but has been well spoken of by reviewers who like the genre it's in):

8bit Doves
Aftermath XHD
Aralon Sword and Shadow
Badland
Bruce Lee: Enter the Game
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Clash of Puppets
Colossatron: Massive World Threat
Cut the Rope 2
Cut the Rope HD
Dark Echo
Dark Incursion
Deep Loot
Doors & Rooms
Doors & Rooms 2
Final Cut: Encore (Full)
Fire Maple Games - Ultimate Adventure Collection
Fluid SE
Galaga Special Edition
Goat Simulator
God of Light
Gunbrick
Hook
Inferno+
Jetpack Joyride
Kiwanuka
Mines of Mars
Odd Bot Out
PAC-MAN +Tournaments
Pixel Boat Rush
Punch Quest
Quell
Raiden Legacy
Riptide GP2
R-Type II
Sector Strike
Shadow Blade
SHADOWGUN
Sonic CD
Sonic Dash
Sorcery!
Space Marshals
The Hidden World
The Lost City
The Secret of Grisly Manor
Threes!
Toy Story: Smash It!
Trial of the Clone
Trial Xtreme 2 Winter
Trial Xtreme 3
Twisty Hollow
Type:rider
Where's My Mickey?
Where's My Perry?
Where's My Water?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:38 
Excellent Member

Also, Lara Croft GO, a sequel to the brilliant Hitman GO, is out today for Android and iOS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:45 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Also, Lara Croft GO, a sequel to the brilliant Hitman GO, is out today for Android and iOS.

NICE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 15:30 
Excellent Member

Hyper Rift is another of these things that wants to emulate the game book experience but it's a lot more interactive than the recent and more straightforward Lifeline. While Lifeline had you just picking from a list of options and waiting to see what happened, Hyper Rift sees your amnesiac character freely exploring a spaceship room by room to find items and solve puzzles. The control system is easily picked up and the simple graphics give you all you need to know to get into the game.

I should mention that, although the game's been well received and all, my reason for mentioning it isn't entirely altruistic. I picked it up the other day (it's completely free by the way) and seem to have got utterly stuck embarrassingly close to the beginning. A quick Google hasn't thrown up anything useful so I assume I'm missing something incredibly obvious that no one else has got caught on; so if any Android or iOS folks fancy giving it a shot you might also be able to help me out. And point and laugh at me for being so dim.

Since starting the game I have:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
  • Found the amputation device and used it to save the injured crew woman who is currently sleeping off her injuries
  • Found and picked up a couple of keycards
  • Picked up an empty syringe then filled it with the healing goo from an alien egg
  • Choose to kill off the mini alien in the experiment and been rewarded with a helper monkey

Having done all that though I genuinely can't work out how to proceed. If you approach the lift you just get stabbed by the big alien so you can't get off the first deck of the ship and I can't find anything more on this first deck to meaningfully interact with. Help me Beex!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:27 
Excellent Member

For anyone who bought the awesome Lara Croft: GO, they're just released a new set of 25 or so levels for free for both iOS and Android. And thankfully you can start playing the new levels straight away without having to unlock them if you'd previously uninstalled the game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:31 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
For anyone who bought the awesome Lara Croft: GO, they're just released a new set of 25 or so levels for free for both iOS and Android. And thankfully you can start playing the new levels straight away without having to unlock them if you'd previously uninstalled the game.

Nice, cheers.

I knew there was a reason I checked this thread other than fish-in-a-barrel level trolling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:43 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Nice, cheers.

I knew there was a reason I checked this thread other than fish-in-a-barrel level trolling.

I'm pretty sure you respond to my Android game related posts more than actual Android owners because I'm usually recommending stuff that's available on iOS as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:44 
Excellent Member

Relatedly: The Room 3 was recently released for iOS (with the Android version to follow 'at some point') so you should be all over that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:54 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Relatedly: The Room 3 was recently released for iOS (with the Android version to follow 'at some point') so you should be all over that.

I never really got on with the first one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 13:02 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I never really got on with the first one.

That's one of the wrongest things you've ever said. And this is you we're talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 17:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:

I have just bought Hitman GO it is installing now.

'Free with in-app purchases' is perhaps the most evil phrase in the history of gaming.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 22:35 
Hello Hello Hello

After saying I wasn't really getting into SUMMONERS WAR over in the main Android thread, it's now managed to get its hooks into me somewhat, to the extent that my gaming PC has been effectively left idle for the last couple of evenings whilst I've been sat on a comfy armchair with my Nvidia Shield in hand. (Mrs Hearthly has also been casting her beady eyes over the game, and has installed it on her iPad as she likes the look of it.)

It's FREE TO PLAY WITH IN-APP PURCHASES which is usually enough to send me running for the hills, but I'm about ten hours in and I haven't felt gouged for cash yet, so even if you get that far with it for free it's arguably not done bad. (There are plenty of opportunities to spend cash but playing the game in a fairly normal manner has certainly circumvented any need to do so thusfar.)

In essence you build up a little base with various buildings, and recruit a team of monsters, and then send them off into Final Fantasy style turn-based combat (complete with quite nice 3D graphics). Your monsters level up, you can improve them with runes and suchlike, different monsters are better than others against different enemies, all that stuff. Every time you win a battle you get a reward of a rune or a monster and things like that, some monsters are crap so you can feed them to your better ones to level them up.

There are quests chains and zones to work through, arena combat and dungeons - all played out with PS1 era Final Fantasy style combat, which I happen to really like. (I've found the best way to do the combat is AUTOPLAY 3X SPEED, but to tap on the baddies in the fight in your order of priority as the AI isn't always super-smart.)

My mate who's been banging on about it FOR FUCKING EVER (about three months I think), is kind of maxed-out on the game and is waiting for the expansion at the start of 2016, and he's done so without spending a penny. (He is really, really, tight with money though, so that may be a mark of his dogged skinflint determination more than anything else.)

I'm liking it, definitely worth an install IMO, takes up about 1GB of space on your device. One of my more pleasing Android gaming experiences. I could have been sat in a comfy airmchair playing Hearthstone, but I was playing SUMMONERS WAR instead, so it's doing something right.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

Summoners War is pretty much like all the other games of its type, they all follow the same structure I find. Dragonsoul is quite good, a bit more comical in tone.
I feel you would appreciate Heroes of the Alpha Arena though, it follows the same format as those other RPGs, but it has ripped off WoW for all its assets...

Not sure why he needed to record the progress bar for the first 90 seconds of that video though...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmmm that Heroes Of The Alpha Arena is uncomfortably blatant in its Blizzard robbery for my taste TBH, plus the several spelling mistakes in that video alone were doing my nut in. Gameplay seemed slow too, whereas Summoners War on 3x autoplay really rips along.

I'll probably stick with Summoners War until I get bored with it and/or the requirement to spend cash to make progress becomes onerous. The silly thing is, if it does lob up any paywalls I'll just quit in disgust, whereas if they charged a tenner for a well-balanced, complete game from the off, I'd have cheerfully paid it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:40 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
The silly thing is, if it does lob up any paywalls I'll just quit in disgust, whereas if they charged a tenner for a well-balanced, complete game from the off, I'd have cheerfully paid it.

If it had cost money right from the start you might never have given it a shot though, the fact it was free meant there was no risk in trying it out. I maintain that the best model is for the game to be free initially to let you see whether you like it then have a single payment to unlock the rest of it. So having a free 'demo' basically.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:41 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
The silly thing is, if it does lob up any paywalls I'll just quit in disgust, whereas if they charged a tenner for a well-balanced, complete game from the off, I'd have cheerfully paid it.

If it had cost money right from the start you might never have given it a shot though, the fact it was free meant there was no risk in trying it out. I maintain that the best model is for the game to be free initially to let you see whether you like it then have a single payment to unlock the rest of it. So having a free 'demo' basically.

Sounds suspiciously like shareware to me.

Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next