Post subject: Re: Bioshock Infinite announced
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 15:41 
Bad Girl

Anuther

http://cs624117.vk.me/v624117744/ea39/73ZiEU51LzE.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 15:42 
Hello Hello Hello

That single picture is better than anything actually in the game, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 14:09 
Excellent Member

This is now free in exchange for voting in some thing:

http://www.gamesradar.com/vote-golden-j ... -infinite/

I'll probably grab it and give it a go on easy (assuming my PC will run it) as I fancy seeing the world they've built and hopefully on easy the combat won't be too shit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 14:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
I'll probably grab it and give it a go on easy (assuming my PC will run it) as I fancy seeing the world they've built and hopefully on easy the combat won't be too shit.

It'll be shit, but easy.

In fact it was shit but easy on normal too. Because the game only gives you two weapon slots, it can't run the risk of you going into an area with completely the wrong weapons, so every weapon is reasonably effective against every baddy, and it always puts a selection of weapons in each arena anyway, just in case. Plus if you run out of ammo Elizabeth will find some up her skirt for you.

Previous rant - viewtopic.php?p=756321#p756321

Quote:
My honest opinion is that the gunplay in BI is boring, repetitive, contrived, sub single-player CoD rubbish, and that the game design is needlessly mean-minded by only allowing you to carry two guns at a time, whilst forcing a single autosave slot on you as well.

It compensates for this by making sure that enemies readily drop pretty much the entire range of weapons you could ever need in every single 'arena', to mitigate the chance of the player (who is not imbued with psychic abilities) making the 'wrong' decision on what to enter the arena with. (And let's face it, BI is basically a series of small interconnected arenas, there's nothing like the scope of the play area that BL2 serves up.)

The problem with that of course is that the right weapons for any given situation, whilst available as drops, may not be the ones that you've upgraded, so you're left scrabbling around with shit guns that you have to use out of necessity.

It seems to me that the game design financially prohibits the player from even coming close to upgrading all the guns and/or vigors, so you're left making blind choices going into unknown situations with no save to fall back on, but since the game can't put you into an impossible situation - (apparently 1999 mode CAN do this but the easy/normal/hard modes don't) - you end up with the tired old cliché of endless ammo crates, health packs, enemies dropping 'good' guns all over the place, and Elizabeth handily chucking whatever you need at you in times of need. Yeah it mixes it up a bit by letting you choose which tear to open depending on what you need, OPEN THIS TEAR FOR HEALTH, OPEN THIS TEAR FOR AMMO, OPEN THIS TEAR FOR SOME COVER AND DON'T WORRY I'LL MAKE SURE THERE'S A SNIPER RIFLE THERE FOR YOU, OPEN THIS TEAR FOR A MACHINE GUN TURRET etc but it's all desperately contrived IMO and nothing like the freeform combat mechanics of BL2 where you could really bend the game around how you wanted to play it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 14:34 
Excellent Member

Your rant really only speaks to the combat though and I fully expect that aspect to suck ass, which is the very reason I've never bothered with the game before. I do like the look of the thing though and am happy enough to suffer minor annoyance from the arena fighting in order to see what the game's all about. Well, given the chance to see that for free anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 14:43 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
I do like the look of the thing though and am happy enough to suffer minor annoyance from the arena fighting in order to see what the game's all about. Well, given the chance to see that for free anyway.

Exactly. The world they've created has more than enough moments of wonder to make it worth your while. The first hour is choc full of them. And if you don't like it after that, fair enough. But I'd be surprised if you couldn't be charmed by it.

Not my favourite game by any stretch, and certainly annoyed me for the same reasons people mention. But they've created a world it would be criminal to never experience.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Your rant really only speaks to the combat though and I fully expect that aspect to suck ass, which is the very reason I've never bothered with the game before. I do like the look of the thing though and am happy enough to suffer minor annoyance from the arena fighting in order to see what the game's all about. Well, given the chance to see that for free anyway.

Well you can't go wrong for free I suppose :)

As per my (many :D) comments earlier in this thread, in the final analysis it's not a bad game, the final third is actually pretty good and has some genuine 'Wow' moments, but the combat is consistently poor and neither the game world or the characters are particularly interesting.

Columbia is no Rapture, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:03 
Bad Girl

I was well grumpy in this thread earlier. It's pretty funny reading it again especially since I didn't get what Grim... was on about with the edit button "joke" until today.

Oh and Bioshock: Infinite: why wouldn't you play it if it was free! You might enjoy it for a bit.

Even if it was a bit shit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
I was well grumpy in this thread earlier. It's pretty funny reading it again especially since I didn't get what Grim... was on about with the edit button "joke" until today.

Whut?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:49 
Bad Girl

I said something about you cant go back and redo things in real life; you said we should remove your edit button; I thought you'd caught me editing a post; you didn't mean that; I didn't 'get' what you meant; until today.

How we laughed.

In our heads.

With multiple voices.

In different accents.

At the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 20:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Thinking about it, the principal issue with the game is that not only is the combat bad, the combat is almost unceasing and generally speaking the primary focus of what you're doing - even down to enemies that respawn behind you after you've poked your head into a cupboard, shit like that.

I honestly think it would have been a much better game with far less combat, and instead far more exploration, exposition, character development, and so on.

For all intents and purposes it's an FPS game with high concepts and fancy ideas, but it fucks up royally in not making the FPS stuff very good. When you inwardly groan upon facing the next tedious round of mediocre combat in a small artificially limited arena against drab waves of identikit enemies with shit weapons, something has gone wrong.

Compare and contrast with the last Max Payne game, where the combat was to be savoured, a cathartic release your character needed, even if he hated it, it was what kept him alive. I just never got that with Booker and Columbia, not once - I never really bought into who I was playing, and why.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:18 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
I said something about you cant go back and redo things in real life; you said we should remove your edit button; I thought you'd caught me editing a post; you didn't mean that; I didn't 'get' what you meant; until today.

How we laughed.

In our heads.

With multiple voices.

In different accents.

At the same time.

You should come to the cottage.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:00 
Excellent Member

Metacritic: 94

Everyone else: "It's a bit shit"

Who are these game critics?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 18:56 
Bad Girl

I’ve returned to Rapture via Bioshock Infinite and after playing Bioshock 2 and I’ve decided the following things:-

The Good Things

You see a bit of Rapture before it goes to shit with people walking about; Big Daddies doing repairs, people discussing plasmids and stuff. It’s a really good reintroduction to Rapture especially since we never see this aspect of the world in the original games. Plus now it’s all in 60FPS and feels reet good.

The Bad Things

It’s not actually Rapture: it’s Columbia underwater. It’s so striking coming immediately from Bioshock 2 that the surroundings look nothing like the Rapture I’d just been playing. Everything has that Infinite look about it with large empty arenas and massive lobbies that were never in the original games. Worst still, it shoehorns in the silly fucking rails from Infinite that you launch around on and were never ever seen in Bioshock.

Some technical problems: the sound mixing is off and background noise drowns out the chat. I had to switch on subs. Also people might be talking in the world but, weirdly, they don’t move their mouths at all, so you just stare at their static faces.

And why does Booker have a shield like he’s coming from a parallel world where everyone is Master Chief? I don’t like it and I don’t need it. I know it’s in the main game but, again, it just feels unnecessary after Bioshock 2.

And where’s all the potions and health kits I could stack up in Bioshock 2? Now I’m relying on my shield for health like I’m in a crap shooter. And I’ve never ever ever EVER got enough EVE to use my plasmids!? Like, ever. I was using all my gear in Bioshock 2 like a boss firing bees, black holes, fire and shit while blasting peeps with my arsenal of pew pew... now I’ve never got any fucking power for my plasmids and I’ve never got anything in reserve to top up my power. So the whole game descends into a bland albeit competent shooter cause I can’t mix and match my powers like the previous games which went to great lengths to push me into using all my gear. Nope, I’m just using some stock guns - pistol, AR and carbine. Well done for removing the best bit of the previous games and entire reason I was having a good time in Bioshock 2’s DLC just yesterday.

But the hacking mini games have gone...god almighty why do I miss the hacking!? And boy, do I miss the hacking. Turrets have to be hit with a plasmid power now and if you’ve got none of that you’re just ducking out the way now. Where’s the spotlights that we’re everywhere in Bioshock as well? And the flying drones? They were everywhere and now they don’t exist in this world? Fuckouttahere.

And what a great way to block access to areas in this game! Locked doors! Yay! So you have to collect hairpins! Small fucking items that are few and far between. Miss these tiny things in the empty lobbies that the game is set in and you’re fucked. There’s absolutely none of the ingenuity from the previous games - opening locked doors with plasmids, crawling through tricky hidden vents (probably because you can’t be without Liz in this; but why can’t she climb into a vent?) and hacking distant locks and stuff? Theres absolutely none of this. It’s a travesty. And it better informs me why Infinite was a much worse game than Bioshock was.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 19:25 
Bad Girl

Two more:

Why the fuck did they introduce as a game mechanic, items in people’s pockets that take off your health? Just fucking stupid. When you’re clearing a room absolutely no one is looking and individually selecting what items to loot - it’s just smash pick up as quick as the game allows, but no, now we’ve got items that actually hurt you because fuck you.

Every time I have to load up this collection I have to change invert look. What. The. Actual. Fuck. Just fucking save my options you cunts. Jesus.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:10 
Hello Hello Hello

BAD GAME IS BAD.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:03 
Can you dig it?

I nabbed the collection as it was part of the PSN monthly games, or whatever it's called.

I'd played Bioshock before, I think it was in 2010 -so quite a few years after release- and really enjoyed it, the setting was atmospheric and cool and I enjoyed the story and the plasmids and all that.

But, I never really felt much urge to revisit, and after a very brief go at the beginning of Bioshock2 the other night it really didn't take long before I felt 'ugh, Rapture and sploicers again' and couldn't really be arsed to play it.

Is it worth pushing through or is the Bioshock world one of those 'one time only' kind of experiences that never hit the previous heights?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 
Rude Belittler

After playing all three games back-to-back, Bioshock 2 is easily the best game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 0:50 
Can you dig it?

Interesting... I'm thinking I might come back to it later; having just played Titanfall 2, maybe going straight to another shooter with a very different feel isn't what I wanted afterall.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:48 
Rude Belittler

I meant to come back and explain why it's the best game. But I forgot.

Basically, it improves almost all the combat mechanics from the first game. Plasmids on left trigger all the time, tighter shooting, better weapons, the research camera is less of a pain, hacking isn't the hugest chore ever.

The Big Sisters are brilliant mini-boss enemies. I get the feeling they were designed around the concept of "what If the player took the Big Daddy role in the classic Bioshock confrontation", facing off against a powerful highly mobile, plasmid equipped enemy. It's no accident that most of your most powerful weapons (literally and figuratively) are very defensive in nature. Scrambling to set up some sort of perimeter to whittle the Big Sister down before she gets to you is a brilliant moment.

The plot isn't as good, of course. But the game is great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:06 
Prince of Fops

Pundabaya wrote:
I meant to come back and explain why it's the best game. But I forgot.

Basically, it improves almost all the combat mechanics from the first game. Plasmids on left trigger all the time, tighter shooting, better weapons, the research camera is less of a pain, hacking isn't the hugest chore ever.

The Big Sisters are brilliant mini-boss enemies. I get the feeling they were designed around the concept of "what If the player took the Big Daddy role in the classic Bioshock confrontation", facing off against a powerful highly mobile, plasmid equipped enemy. It's no accident that most of your most powerful weapons (literally and figuratively) are very defensive in nature. Scrambling to set up some sort of perimeter to whittle the Big Sister down before she gets to you is a brilliant moment.

The plot isn't as good, of course. But the game is great.

I'd agree with this.

Nothing can match the feeling of first descending into Rapture in Bioshock the First.
Nothing quite knocks you sideways like the end of Bioshock the First.
Bioshock Infinite created an incredible world.
But Bioshock 2 I had by far the most fun in, for the exact reasons you mention.

Never did get around to playing Minerva's Den. Will get on that once I've finished DOOM and played something in between to cleanse the first-person palette. Not sure Bioshock would come off very well directly after DOOM.

Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6