Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dishono(u)red
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 21:16 
Gogmagog

Is this worth the £15 they want for it on PS4?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 21:19 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:

Yes, yes, and yes.

I'd stick it somewhere in my Top Ten Games Of All Time list. The DLC is awesome too so if you can get some sort of GOTY edition, grab that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 21:24 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Yes, yes, and yes.

I'd stick it somewhere in my Top Ten Games Of All Time list. The DLC is awesome too so if you can get some sort of GOTY edition, grab that.

Yeah. It says it is that so cool. Ta.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:29 
SavyGamer

Probably worth waiting until it's out. There's been a few examples of really bad ports of old games to the new consoles, and Bethesda/Arkane have said almost nothing about this new port. No technical specs released, no footage available, no confirmation about whether it was developed by Arkane in house, or farmed out to the lowest bidder.

In theory it should be an easy enough game to port over, but if they haven't dedicated enough resources to it, any port can end up being a shit port.

I'd be disappointed if it wasn't 60fps, but if it was surely they would have advertised that fact by now?

Either way it is a great game, but personally I'd want to know a little more about the quality of the port before handing my money over. If it's just "barely improved" rather than "actually worse" it'll still be worth playing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:16 
Hello Hello Hello

1080p/60FPS should be a shoe-in for the PS4 I'd have thought, I installed it on Mrs Hearthly's old laptop which has a Radeon 4850 with 512MB of RAM and even that could shunt it around pretty nicely at 720p. (Laptop RAM is 4GB, the GPU has its own 512MB of RAM.)

I take your point though, it is conceivable that they'll completely knob the port up so best to wait for some reviews.

TBH I didn't realise it wasn't already out, hence my unequivocal recommendation of it to Mail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 17:31 
Rude Belittler

It's alright. It's not a patch on Bioshock Infinite.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 18:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
It's alright. It's not a patch on Bioshock Infinite.

In some countries that sort of comment is punishable by death, and quite rightly so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 19:30 
SavyGamer

It is better than any of the Bioshocks (especially Infinite), and better than DXHR or nuThief.

Turns out my suspicions were correct, and it runs at 30fps on PS4/Xbox One.

Certainly not a case of the hardware not being capable of running it at 1080p/60fps, but they most likely wanted to do the port as cheaply as possible. More to just get it available on the same platforms that the sequel will be coming to than to actually deliver a definitive version of the game.

If you have a mid range gaming PC from the last 3/4 years, it will probably play better on that. A real missed opportunity, and I think the game deserves better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 19:55 
Gogmagog

Nnnñnnnng!

I shall wait for a review of it.

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 20:22 
SavyGamer

That is a shit article. Frame rate obviously matters. I'm not going to argue that all games need to be 60 fops, that would be madness, but it's pretty clear that this game only isn't because Bethesda cheaped out on the port.

Perception of framerate is also highly subjective, we all have different eyes and brains. For me it matters far more in 3d games with a fast moving camera. Especially first person games.

Totalbiscuit is a dick, and I'm not going to harass any developers about framerates, but I think it is a good idea to be an informed consumer, especially when so many publishers try to get away with all sorts of dodgy stuff. Bethesda are calling this game Definitive, but haven't even told anyone what they mean by definitive!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 0:52 
Rude Belittler

Dishonored was enjoyable enough... I didn't like some of its combat (the way the enemies could totally hit you through one another was bullshit) and the idea that you were a better person for essentially selling people into slavery or giving them to a creepy, rapey as fuck dude was better than killing them didn't sit well with me. Sure, they were horrible people, but you can hardly take the high ground over some of the shit that goes down. The first dude you deal with ends up as a weeper. killing him would have been a better fate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Well Corvo is quite a morally ambiguous character from the start so it works in that regard, plus he's like, a lethal assassin.

The DLC helps flesh out his story really well, especially the whole Daud <> Corvo thing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 21:41 
Gogmagog

This is pretty good so far. I am on the lam thanks to help from some people and seem pretty handy with a blade and pistol. The graphics are pretty enough and the sound is good. Good stuff so far.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
This is pretty good so far. I am on the lam thanks to help from some people and seem pretty handy with a blade and pistol. The graphics are pretty enough and the sound is good. Good stuff so far.

I hope you're not killing too many people!....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:30 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I hope you're not killing too many people!....

Define "too many". I am super assassin in the employ of terrorists and page to a demon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:52 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
Define "too many". I am super assassin in the employ of terrorists and page to a demon.

'Too many' in any given level will tip over your chaos rating to high, if more than 50% of the levels are completed at high chaos, then you'll get the high chaos ending when you finish the game, which is the 'bad' ending.

The game also changes depending on the chaos state, in high chaos there are more weepers, characters react differently to you, the weather is different, and so on.

Personally I don't see high chaos as intrinsically bad, my take on it is that it's really two games in one (I completed the game in low chaos first, and then started all over again and deliberately did high chaos).

By all means do a high chaos playthrough, but I'd suggest a low chaos playthrough is a worthy endeavour - and makes for a very different game too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:28 
Gogmagog

Thanks. I am about an hour in or so. I try really hard to not kill people. But it is pretty fun when you sneak up behind someone and non lethal them but their mate sees you and you block his sword attack and then POW! Pistol bullet in the kisser.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:45 
Rude Belittler

I'd just play it how you want, see what the results are. I killed a fair few people, but still got low chaos. I didn't kill any of the marks, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:15 
Paws for thought

I killed 0 peoples.

(I think I may have temoprarilY killed one, but I played it as being detected =failure)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 17:06 
SavyGamer

High chaos isn't "bad", it's the ending (and route to the ending) that reflects your playstyle.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 19:58 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
High chaos isn't "bad", it's the ending (and route to the ending) that reflects your playstyle.

I did put the 'bad' in apostrophes to indicate that, although I'd argue it is objectively bad as well :)

There's also the REALLY bad high chaos ending too :o

For reference for those who don't know:

Low chaos = Good ending
High chaos = Bad ending
High chaos with a final choice = Horrible ending

It only takes two playthroughs to see all three, as the two high chaos endings branch right at the end of the last level, so you can use a save/autosave to go back and see the alternative.

The DLCs have the low/high chaos thing going on too, and well worth seeing both endings IMO. (They only have two possible endings.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Definitive edition reviews are in, pretty lazy port by all accounts, 1080p@30FPS, running on PC 'high' settings.

Doesn't make the game any less awesome though I suppose, but I find it hard to believe the XBone/PS4 couldn't manage 60FPS if they'd put a bit of effort in.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... n-face-off

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:36 
Gogmagog

Pow! I run around the ground and BOOM now I'm in your face teleporting and KERBLAM catch that in your teeth oh no you cannot as you don't have a head. I use sleep darts until I run out then crack heads.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:48 
Gogmagog

BOOM! I'm a dog and I am behind you walking to heel. POW! I am a human and strangling you! Boom! I am a dog again.

Love it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 23:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Nice retrospective on Dishonored at Eurogamer has just gone up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... every-play

This game remains firmly as an entry in my 'best ten games ever list', and is one of those rare examples of a game where I only stopped playing when there was literally nothing left to do, having completed low and high chaos playthroughs of the main game and all DLCs, done every mission in the game, etc etc.

Very much looking forward to the sequel, which is tantalisingly close now!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 16:35 

Dishonored 2 is great. If you liked Dishonored, this is very much More Of That Sort Of Thing but With Some New Stuff Too and Some Old Wonky Bits Now With Less Wonk. It also features two characters with different powers, which further incentivises doing a High Chaos and a Low Chaos playthrough. I have a lot of game to go, but I have high hopes it can capture a perfect 5/7 score.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 18:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Unfortunately it's an absolute disaster zone on PC at the moment so I'm waiting for it to get patched up, it's already had one patch to address the worst of the clusterfuck but the developer openly admit it needs more work. (In its released state, mouse sensitivity changed with the framerate, if you can believe that.)

Once it's fixed I'll buy it, by which time it'll probably be half price too!

Very frustrating as I rank the original Dishonored as one of the finest games ever, but as I do not possess a PS4 or XBox One I will have to wait for them to fix the PC version. (Not that I'd want to take the game on with a pad anyway as I'm utterly hopeless in FPS games with a pad.)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... n-december

I quite liked the following comment in response to this from the developer:

Quote:
This is just the beginning though, as Arkane is aware that it has other technical issues to iron out for different rigs. "Our work on Dishonored 2 continues," the developer said. "Update 1.2 development is underway and will address a broader range of issues including performance and is estimated to be available in the next week."

Attachment:
workdh2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:25 
Hello Hello Hello

PC version is now up to patch 1.3 and has entered the realms of 'mostly working', but another patch is confirmed to be in the works, target release date later this month.

Who knows, maybe the game will be (a) Fully functional just in time for (b) The January sale!

It's come to something when you feel like buying the sequel to one of YOUR ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE GAMES EVER at launch is a bad idea, because it'll almost certainly have loads of technical issues that'll need ironing out first.

I had a quick go on the PS4 version when I was down at the board game night the other week, this was on a PS4 Pro, but it still ran at 30FPS and as expected I was fumbling around like a buffoon trying to control my character with a gamepad, plus the input lag was annoying, and I don't have a console anyway so I'll just wait for the PC version to get properly fixed.

You could make a case for running a year behind on games, by which time the GOTY edition (i.e. fully patched + all DLC) will be out for about half the cost of the original base game release.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 14:06 
Hello Hello Hello

STEAM FAIL.

£39.99 or £20, tough call.

I'll probably wait for the next patch before I play it though.

There is a single DVD in the box but it's basically just an activation code, it says words on the box to the effect of 'the game isn't in the box, you'll need to download it all through Steam, and have a Steam account'.

So a Steam game basically, for half the price Steam are selling it for.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-12-12 at 13.00.17.png

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-12-12 at 13.01.17.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 19:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Wow, that's how much of the game they managed to get on the disc :)

I'll take a look at it and see what the performance is like once I get to the first outdoor section (which is when it starts to tank a bit apparently), and take it from there.

I'm just looking at it as a cheap CD key really, (wasn't expecting any sort of meaningful game install on the disc), cheaper than the CD key sites even, without any extra layer of potential dodgy Russian dealings.

Attachment:
lurcho.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 21:17 

Any idea if that was a local thing? Tempted to pick it up when I'm in Glasgow tomorrow, if it's still £20.

[Edit] Oh, it's showing up as £19.99 on their website now - wasn't when I checked earlier.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Cookie197 wrote:
Any idea if that was a local thing? Tempted to pick it up when I'm in Glasgow tomorrow, if it's still £20.

[Edit] Oh, it's showing up as £19.99 on their website now - wasn't when I checked earlier.

Yes it was a pretty good deal. I wasn't even wanting to go into GAME but my lunchtime stroll chum wanted to 'have a look at what they've got'. I usefully suggested, 'Videogames, videogame consoles, peripherals, gift cards, erm.... Do we still have to go?' but he remained keen.

The PC section is tiny these days so I was pleasantly surprised to not only see a retail box of Dishonored 2, but also to see it had been discounted to £20 from £39.99 - that'll do for me, I thought.

BRIEF GAME REPORTAGE - I fired the game up last night, played through the tutorial and a small chunk of the first level. It seems very, very Dishonored-ey which is of course an epically GOOD THING. It took a serious wrench to realise it was far too late to start getting immersed in a videogame, and was in fact, time to go to bed. STUPID BEING OLD.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:24 
Hello Hello Hello

This game is great, I'm a good few hours into it now (well into the second proper level), and whilst I must stress that it really is 'Dishonored, Again', this is pretty much all I was after. (I'm sure I could have made more progress through the game for the time I've put into it, but I've been exploring everything, and doing a lot of F5/F9-ing to get what I consider to be 'perfect' engagements.)

The story is a direct continuation from the original, and it's all very familiar in terms of art style, writing, UI, controls etc - I guess it's pretty much the same team who made the sequel as made the original. (Once again, this is A Good Thing.)

I'm going to do a low chaos zero-kills playthrough as Emily first, and then I'll do a high-chaos playthrough, possibly as Corvo but it's conceivable I'll do a low and high as both. (The 'ghost' playthrough is a bit much to aim for though.)

As with the original, there is a slight sense with a zero-kills playthrough that you're (a) Missing out on slaughtering japes and hi-jinks and (b) Giving yourself a tougher time in the process, but I like the challenge, and I remember thoroughly enjoying my KILL EVERYTHING second playthrough of Dishonored so I'm going to do the same again.

So yes, if you liked Dishonored, you will like this.

PC SPECIFIC TECHNO-BABBLE - Graphically things haven't moved on much, but they have switched to a new engine which offers substantially inferior performance to the original. In simple terms:

DISHONORED 1 - I ran ULTRA-ed out at 2560x1440, all effects on, v-synced, rock-solid 60FPS. (This was on the same PC as I have now, but with a GTX670, which has since been upgraded.)

DISHONORED 2 - To maintain the best part of 60FPS, most of the time, I've had to drop to 1920x1080, downgraded to HIGH instead of ULTRA, some effects turned off, no AA, and have had to lose v-sync, which stings a bit. Even then, in the bigger open world areas framerate can drop down to the high 40s. (And this is with my graphics card having been upgraded to a GTX970.)

All that said, it's playable and runs well enough for the technical issues not to reduce my enjoyment of the game. (And my CPU+mobo+RAM are now just over eight years old, so it's important to have reasonable expectations.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:17 
Hello Hello Hello

PC Gamer's game of the year 2016.

http://www.pcgamer.com/game-of-the-year ... honored-2/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:27 

Hearthly wrote:
(I'm sure I could have made more progress through the game for the time I've put into it, but I've been exploring everything, and doing a lot of F5/F9-ing to get what I consider to be 'perfect' engagements.)
Me too. I laugh in the face of the pre-release news that you can complete it in eight hours. I've spent 4-6 hours on each level, and when I leave they are picked clean.

Quote:
The story is a direct continuation from the original, and it's all very familiar in terms of art style, writing, UI, controls etc - I guess it's pretty much the same team who made the sequel as made the original. (Once again, this is A Good Thing.)
I broadly agree, and in particular the core loop of "scout the area, come up with a plan to take these goons down, then do it" is the same. But: there are some interesting new mechanics (you should investigate bone charm crafting, and in particular, the upgrade that lets you quadruple up any given bone charm ability.) And the level design is better. There are two levels in particular -- The Clockwork Mansion and A Crack In The Slab -- which are some of the best I've seen in any game, anywhere.

Quote:
I'm going to do a low chaos zero-kills playthrough as Emily first, and then I'll do a high-chaos playthrough, possibly as Corvo but it's conceivable I'll do a low and high as both. (The 'ghost' playthrough is a bit much to aim for though.)
I got the cheevos for ghost and no-kill runs of a single mission, but I'm not about to attempt the entire game. I'd rather do a murder run as the other character, and exploit the shit out of "people you kill turn to ash." And it's also more fun to sometimes roll with getting spotted and fight your way out and/or leg it and evade them than to constantly reload. Plus the start of the game was sufficiently dramatic that I did straight up slaughter most of the guards on the way out of Dunwall Tower. Fuck those civilian murdering mother fuckers. Springwire to the face, fuckers.

Incidentally, judging by my progress, you're only going to have runes for something like half the upgrade tree, maybe even less. Plan accordingly. As Emily, playing mostly stealth and mostly non-lethal, I've taken Far Reach (obv), fully upgraded Dark Vision (ditto), a couple of levels of Shadow Walk (very useful at times but I don't use it a lot), a fully upgraded Domino (tremendous fun, strongly recommend), Bone Charm Crafting, and Agility. I have eight runes stored up and am pondering either Mesmerise or upgrades to Far Reach and Shadow Walk next.

New Game Plus isn't in the shipping game but arrives via patch next week, apparently. (My wife is urgently awaiting this so she can do a high chaos pass as Corvo.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:34 

One particularly memorable encounter:

Four guards manning a roadblock, one of whom patrols off to one side occasionally, passing near a fifth guard standing a short distance away. There's also a few more off in the distance who'll turn up if the shooting starts. I start on top of a streetlight looking down on the roadblock.

I Far Reach over to a balcony, through an apartment, then down to street level behind a billboard. That puts me close to the fifth guard, but I can't get an angle on him. I climb back up the billboard to a handly balcony, sleep dart the fifth guard, and wait. The patrolling guardsman moves away from the roadblock and spots the unconscious fifth guard. He runs up to investigate and I dive bomb off the roof of the building, slamming his head into the cobbles. Two down.

I carefully make my way back along the fourth guard's patrol route until I end up behind a low wall maybe thirty feet from the roadblock. I drop a springrazor and retrace my steps, back along the street, up the billboard, along the balconies, and back to the streetlamp directly over the roadblock where I started. I Domino all three guards in the roadblock together, then take careful aim with my crossbow at a weakened steampipe conveniently located next to the springrazor trap I dropped. I hit the pipe, one of the three roadblock goons runs off to investigate the noise, triggers the trap, and all three get dissected by the springrazor...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 0:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes it's the game's ability to create these stories out of pretty much any encounter that makes it so special. (Original and the sequel are equally adept at this.)

I also read the whole 'played through it in eight hours' stuff and no doubt that is possible, but it also completely misses the point of the game IMO. (Unless you're doing one of those speedrun affairs.)

This is a game I'm really looking forward to playing through properly, definitely more than once for a low and high chaos playthrough, but I wouldn't rule out a full playthrough as both characters in high and low chaos, based on my experience with the original game where it was a joy just to play it, and revisit the same situations more than once but with a completely different approach to overcoming them, with various combinations of abilities and powers.

I don't even mind the 'you can't get everything' mechanic with the runes, as it makes the choices meaningful and feeds back into your own play style,

Brain shutting down now, just back from works Christmas do, too old for this shit, going to bed. Still seemed worth eulogising about Dishonored 1 and 2 though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 0:56 

Completezored, just in time for the patch to drop tomorrow that adds New Game Plus mode. Loved it from start to finish.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 18:37 
Bad Girl

I want to have a good moan about this.

1) I'm not usually that shit at games but I've had to pair back the AI massively. Not only am I playing it on easy but I've even altered the AI's perception to "blind as a bat." It's had the effect of making the enemy AI at about the same level that I remember in the original game. Without this alteration the enemies were spotting me and almost immediately going into fight club mode at a moments notice; it was fucking annoying. They'd spot me even when I'm an elevated and crouching in slealth mode. Pissed me right off, it did. And if you trigger a single person every fucker in the entire game world will rush you. Hell, I'm sure enemies from different levels load themselves in to come fuck you up. Yet, your main man can wield a crossbow like Daryl and easily headshot every enemy with one hit. You end up getting rushed and fighting your way out by just one shotting every enemy in the level until everyone is dead and you're clear to wander a completely empty level. It was actually game breaking for me as one mistake and I'd end up wiping everyone out when I actually wanted to be a sneaky ninja. So easier than-easy mode it is and now I'm doing it it's made the game actually playable but it has knarked me that playtesters couldn't find the right balance for the standard difficulty.

2) The sound design is just atrocious. People start chatting loudly as if they're standing right over me shouting into my face when they're actually in a different room. Or NPCs will start talking over each other. I hate that. And the sound cues are fucked: sometimes you'll know when you've been spotted even if you're not facing the right way to get the onscreen prompt - sometimes you won't. Anyway, in a game of stealth where sound is very important the mixing is all over the fucking shop. It desperately needs someone to come and sort it out properly. It's not game breaking but it feels really really amateur and often annoying and frustrating.

The rest of the game is just more Dishonoured and like the original game you'll play it for a couple of hours and wonder what the fuss is before it get its hooks in and you're having a blast - zapping around from rooftop to rooftop.

It does do a Titanfall 2 and has a really great level in the latter half of the game that comes out of nowhere.

The performance of PS4 ain't great though. I feel as though playing on PC with a higher frame rate is the way to go if you've got the option.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:08 
Excellent Member

They're putting out a free trial of Dishonored 2 later this week which gives you the first three missions to play through and your progress will carry over if you then buy the game:

http://www.pcgamer.com/dishonored-2-tri ... -everyone/

This interests me particularly because I can grab the PS4 and PC versions for the sake of doing a comparison just out of curiosity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 
Paws for thought

I bought dishonoured 2 a few months back, but still haven't got round to playing it.

Need to finish Zelda first.
And maybe both dark souls 3 dlcs.
And dishonoureds dlcs.

Going to be a while then...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 21:38 
Gogmagog

I am still playing through the definitive edition and just did the brothel level. I was really clever, quiet and sneaky and manages to only kill 32 people, but the last one was an accident.

It's really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:45 
Gogmagog

Pushing on, i accidentally murdered about 5 guards, and then a couple more as I decided to sound tne alarm myself. Then I accidentally killed some named guy and a madman. After a bit if light robbing, i ended up facing an open bit before a bridge with an Arc Pylon and it either kills me, or tje guards throw rocks at me. I drowned a dog by possessing it and walking it into the river to make myself cheer up a bit. Anyhoo, do i need to kill these Arc Pylons on my way to Take Care if tbe Searchlights? Or do i have to avoid them?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 21:22 
Gogmagog

Another successful stealth infiltration to kidnap some doctor. Only 38 dead!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:07 
Hello Hello Hello

I have picked this up again since new PC, as I don't have to worry about my framerate randomly deciding to shit itself because the engine was doing something slightly different to what it was doing 85 seconds ago when I thought I'd finally got all the settings right. (Last time around I stopped in the middle of Level 2 and decided it'd be one to start again when I got a better computer.)

So what's what I've done. My saves from last time were still available because CLOUD but I thought it'd be better to start from fresh to re-familiarise myself with it all, and also switch from Emily to Corvo as I wasn't much feeling it for Emily.

Finished Level 2 last night, linear time for the level was nearly 4 hours but if you count going back to saves to retry the same sections multiple times to get encounters I was satisfied with I'd say you could safely add another couple of hours onto that.

First run through will be low chaos with zero kills, and then I'll go for the high chaos KILL EVERYTHING run afterwards. (Low chaos is a lot more difficult, especially with zero kills, but so satisfying when you negotiate a tricky section and manage to get through with nothing more violent than strangling a few guards.)

I like the phrase DocG used earlier in this thread, that each level is 'picked clean' before moving onto the next. (The game design is clearly designed to encourage this, as enemies never repsawn or wake up (even between saves/loads and closing the game down and opening it up again)), and you almost never find yourself moving past a point where it becomes impossible to retrace your steps to earlier in the level to find stuff you've missed. If you are triggering something that would cause this to happen, you get an onscreen choice to move on or stay where you are for longer.

I also like to work out all the different ways that could be employed to get past a major obstacle in any given level, so for example the big 'wall' as it were in Level 2 is a Wall Of Light that you have to get past. I found four ways to get past it (traverse upwards and around, kill the power, possess and evade, go through an infested building), and there may have been more.

EDIT - Turns out there were 5 - http://www.ign.com/wikis/dishonored-2/M ... _the_World

End of level screen from Level 2, there are another couple of screens that list extra objectives and challenges, all of which were completed. (Quite surprised I missed so many coins.)

Attachment:
Screenshot 2017-09-28 at 07.57.42.png

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 22:41 
Hello Hello Hello

7:50pm - Mrs Hearthly and Jnr go upstairs. I say to myself, 'I'll just play a bit of Dishonored 2 and then make my tea.'

10:41pm - Better make something to eat then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Did 'THE CLOCKWORK MANSION' level over the last couple of nights, that's a pretty epic piece of game design isn't it? Took a fair old while to find everything!

It was nice to be able to destroy the shit out of the mechanical solider things, as that doesn't add to the chaos rating.

Thanks to my obsession with finding all the runes, I've been able to max out Agility, Blink, Bend Time and Dark Vision, as well as get some nice Bonecharms - so I can do a variety of pretty fancy stealthy non-lethal takedowns.

I am looking forward to the high chaos run though, when absolutely fucking anything and everything will get killed in a variety of amusing and gruesome ways.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 

Hearthly wrote:
Did 'THE CLOCKWORK MANSION' level over the last couple of nights, that's a pretty epic piece of game design isn't it?
It might not even be the best level in the game. Look out for A Crack In The Slab. It's... well, you'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 20:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Look out for A Crack In The Slab. It's... well, you'll see.

Crikey, that's an astonishingly good game level.

It's taken me three evenings' worth of play to feel I've done it properly, there's just so much going on, none of it unnecessary padding or fluff or filler, every perfectly crafted square inch a joy to explore and play around with - and that's the key with this game (and Dishonored before it), it really wants you to play with it.

One of the loading screen tips is 'save your game often', and the ultra-fast F5/F9 quicksave/quickload is clearly in there to encourage the player to bugger about to his/her's heart's content, and test/try/hone/refine/experiment/etc until you get the result you're after - and A Crack In The Slab is perhaps the ultimate iteration of that design.

A truly fantastic videogame experience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Should be finishing the low chaos run tonight, just got the final stretch of the last level to do. As I had a ridiculous abundance of cash at the last Black Market shop I was able to have a proper splurge and max out all my weaponry - I had all the blueprints as well, so was able to turn the pistol into a pinpoint accurate sniper rifle, with a really cool looking scope on it (amongst other awesome upgrades for the crossbow, grenades, etc), the sniper pistol used a 'craftsman' blueprint or whatever the special orange ones are called.

That allowed me to have a bit of a twat about with a killing rampage, and then returning to a save point to do things 'properly'. There was one particularly amusing highly-zoomed headshot from halfway across the map that invoked a really cool swooshy bullet-time style effect and resulted in a witch's head being gratuitously popped open at the end of it.

As much as I've enjoyed the challenge of the low chaos run, there's no real getting away from the fact that slaughtering all the baddies is ultimately more fun and satisfying than choking them out or putting them to sleep, so I'm very much looking forward to the high chaos run. (Although my allies will no doubt disapprove of all the killing and I'll get a bad ending to the story itself.)

A remarkably accomplished game experience for sure, I've been so invested in the game and its world that, for example, I've taken the time to direct the heart at all major characters and keep squeezing it until Jessamine has nothing more to say about them, and I've done it god knows how many times for normal NPCs (the ones where she just has a single piece of information), there are a huge number of them in there overall - surprisingly little repetition. (And some of them are really creepy.)

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next