Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: *~Pets Corner!~*
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 19:48 
Excellent Member

My cat is now refusing to eat her cat food, she goes through stages where she just licks off the gravy and leaves the rest, usually after a week she will eat 3 packs in a day then start to eat her food normally.

This latest session of fussy eating has been going on for 3 weeks, it pisses my wife of as I empty her food bowl that's full of licked cat food into the kitchen bit and within 4 hours the bin stinks.

My wife thinks we should just leave the food, but I don't agree, we moved her food into the conservatory from the kitchen as my son is crawling now and kept going straight to her food and trying to eat it!

So she gets flies on the stuff she leaves, my view is that she shouldn't have to eat shitty stale cat food that have had flies on it so I keep giving her fresh food which starts of the stinking bin again and pisses my wife off :(

I noticed the other night that she will eat roast chicken bits no problem, so now have decided to just buy the cheapest Tesco chicken legs I can find and cook those for her.

Question is will this be ok for her? She has a bowl of biscuits kept full all the time so I assume that the vitamins etc she needs will be in these? Given that most cat food looks and smells like shit I can't see chicken being a real problem? I will also give her other meat and stuff when we have it, which I have always done.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:28 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I don't think chicken will do her any harm, my cats have done this sort of thing and I had thought it might have been a bad batch of food. Also try the stuff in jelly, sometimes they just get bored!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:48 
Decapodian

Mine go through fussy phases. Just buy a load of different brands of cat food and never put the same one down twice in a row, plus only put small amounts out so it doesn't go off so quickly and wash the bowl frequently.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 
sneering elitist

You're right to chuck the manky cat food away. Unlike dogs, who are better equipped to deal with pretty much whatever shit they eat, cats don't have the same digestive process and dodgy food will give them the shits (or worse). I'm guessing your wife would rather a slightly stinky bin than having to clean up cat crap from everywhere :p

As long as your cat is getting taurine from another source (i.e. wet or dried 'complete' cat food) it'll be fine to eat the chicken.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:52 
Excellent Member

One of our cats is historically incredibly fussy and neurotic about food and will happily eat a particular flavour/brand one week then utterly refuse to touch it the next week which has driven us nuts. We switched them over to a particular brand which we get from the vet, Royal Canin Obesity Management, for the sake of the other cat who's too fat, but fussy cat has happily eaten this stuff for months with no problem at all and it's only now I'm reading the posts here that I even remembered we used to have the issue. Fussy cat is still pretty flighty at times so what I do is feed them in separate rooms so fat cat can't push fussy cat out of the way to eat her food as well and that seems to be working well. Um, none of which is probably any good to you is it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:53 

Ours can be a bit hit and miss with most foods but Whiskas Simply they always eat. It has actual recognisable chunks of meat/fish in it. One of them mostly has dry food but you need to be careful with that and read the amounts they should be getting from the box. We get the Iams stuff and it's a surprisingly small amount they should be eating.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 22:04 
Ready for action

Having problems with the dogs. Over the last few weeks, they've started fighting sometimes in the house, or when they get off the lead on a walk. Once they seperate they are fine and even sleep next to each other, or cuddled up together, but after a few instances it was getting really worrying. Tried to be really firm with them and not let them off the lead at the same time but even when one was off, they were coming over to the other to try it. Found out our pet insurance covers animal behaviourist so now we have a dog whisperer coming out to see us. Really hoping we can resolve it, it is possibly down to the fact that the lab is coming into maturity and no longer happy to accept Willow as the dominant one. Dog whisperer is coming a week on Friday so in the meantime, she has told us to keep them seperate anytime we aren't with them and to remove all sources of tension. So now, we have to walk both seperately, they're sleeping in seperate rooms and if one of them looks like starting anything then the leads come out even in the house. It's pretty stressful!

Really worried but hopeful it can be fixed. I would be totally devastated if they had to be seperated permanently. It has also had an unintended consequence...Arra (the lab) is sleeping in the kitchen just now and last night she got into a bag of flour. The kitchen looked like it had been snowing and all day she has been doing big loud farts and pooing what looks like wallpaper paste :spew:

Being a dog owner is so not glamorous!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:55 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Ours can be a bit hit and miss with most foods but Whiskas Simply they always eat. It has actual recognisable chunks of meat/fish in it. One of them mostly has dry food but you need to be careful with that and read the amounts they should be getting from the box. We get the Iams stuff and it's a surprisingly small amount they should be eating.

Mine is going through phases of eating, last week she had some grass in her throat and was coughing all the time, I took her to the vets who gave her an anti inflammatory jab (for £30 >:| ) Still ate during this time, but not that much

I changed the cat food from jelly to gravy and she ate 4 packs of it in a day, now she is back to her old tricks of licking the jelly or gravy of the food and leaving most of it. I now have 2-3 types\brands of food and rotate along with bits of chicken and other meat scraps.

I also cook at lot on the barbecue and she has caught on, usually around 10 minutes before the food is done she turns up looking hopeful!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 13:22 
Excellent Member

sdg wrote:
Having problems with the dogs. Over the last few weeks, they've started fighting sometimes in the house, or when they get off the lead on a walk. Once they seperate they are fine and even sleep next to each other, or cuddled up together, but after a few instances it was getting really worrying. Tried to be really firm with them and not let them off the lead at the same time but even when one was off, they were coming over to the other to try it. Found out our pet insurance covers animal behaviourist so now we have a dog whisperer coming out to see us. Really hoping we can resolve it, it is possibly down to the fact that the lab is coming into maturity and no longer happy to accept Willow as the dominant one. Dog whisperer is coming a week on Friday so in the meantime, she has told us to keep them seperate anytime we aren't with them and to remove all sources of tension. So now, we have to walk both seperately, they're sleeping in seperate rooms and if one of them looks like starting anything then the leads come out even in the house. It's pretty stressful!

Really worried but hopeful it can be fixed. I would be totally devastated if they had to be seperated permanently. It has also had an unintended consequence...Arra (the lab) is sleeping in the kitchen just now and last night she got into a bag of flour. The kitchen looked like it had been snowing and all day she has been doing big loud farts and pooing what looks like wallpaper paste :spew:

Being a dog owner is so not glamorous!

I don't have dogs but (I know, I know... disregard everything say from this point!) I do have family with more than one dog, though. Is it not a matter of asserting the pack order? Like you would do if you had children in a house with dogs. The child has to come higher up the pack than the dog, they don't sort that out by fighting with the child; there are behaviours that are reinforced so the dog learns it comes lower down the chain than the child. Can you reaffirm Willow as higher up the order than Arra? She must be feeling like there's a chance to get higher up than Willow is. With kids you do everything to treat them all equally but with dogs, you have to treat the more dominant dog as that, and favour her more than the submissive one.

I'm not sure how you do that especially, perhaps feed Willow first? Get her in and out of the car or house first when you go for walks? I expect the dog whisperer will help, good luck Gilly, I'm sure they won't need separating once you start enforcing the rules to keep Arra in line!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 21:34 
Ready for action

Thanks flis :) we are trying to make sure they both know willow is the main one which is hard because we feel mean but it's clearly some sort of power struggle. Fingers crossed the dog whisperer saves the day!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 22:08 
Excellent Member

sdg wrote:
Thanks flis :) we are trying to make sure they both know willow is the main one which is hard because we feel mean but it's clearly some sort of power struggle. Fingers crossed the dog whisperer saves the day!

Impressed you can get a dog whisperer on pet insurance. Good luck with it, sure he can sort it out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 19:21 
Excellent Member

My cat appears to have developed some sort of 6th sense as to when I've finished cooking food on the barbecue.

When the weather is nice she will appear looking hopeful 10-15 minutes before the food is ready.

Tonight she was already outside and I was cooking some chicken with the help of a patio umbrella as it was chucking it down.

Just as I finished and plated it up there she was, I hadn't seen her since mid morning

I guess the fact she always gets some food out of me when I'm barbecuing helps!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 19:30 

I'm no animal expert, but I think it's more likely to be a sense of smell than that of telepathy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 16:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mrs Grim... (snr) is going to be busy for the next few weeks.

Attachment:
11038800_10153144797349618_1416275067006522898_o.jpg

Thirteen of the little fuckers!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 16:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I've just realised what I posted :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 16:11 
Bad Girl

*dies a little inside*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 16:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

One appears to be trying to get back in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 21:13 
Ready for action

Aww! What breed are they? So cute!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:54 
Ready for action

Stressed out today! Willow was licking her leg yesterday but we couldn't see anything. Then by the time I was coming home from work she was lying in her bed shaking and crying. We had a closer look and found loads of little needle sharp grass seeds imbedded in her armpits of her front legs. They are about an inch long and at least 50% of each one were under the skin. Some of them were totally imbedded. It took an hour to tweeze them all out and she's been left with raw skin that's bleeding and weeping. We gave her a wee painkiller and she stopped shaking and crying once we were finished but I'm still worried we could have missed one. Apparently they just keep working their way under the skin because they're barbed like a fish hook so they can make their way to the organs and cause serious problems. Going to see how she looks tonight but if she's still looking swollen and still out of sorts then I'm going to take tomorrow off and take her to the vet. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:57 
Excellent Member

sdg wrote:
Stressed out today! Willow was licking her leg yesterday but we couldn't see anything. Then by the time I was coming home from work she was lying in her bed shaking and crying. We had a closer look and found loads of little needle sharp grass seeds imbedded in her armpits of her front legs. They are about an inch long and at least 50% of each one were under the skin. Some of them were totally imbedded. It took an hour to tweeze them all out and she's been left with raw skin that's bleeding and weeping. We gave her a wee painkiller and she stopped shaking and crying once we were finished but I'm still worried we could have missed one. Apparently they just keep working their way under the skin because they're barbed like a fish hook so they can make their way to the organs and cause serious problems. Going to see how she looks tonight but if she's still looking swollen and still out of sorts then I'm going to take tomorrow off and take her to the vet. :(

I've never heard of that before; that's horrible! I hope she's on the mend now you've sorted it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:44 
Esoteric

Wow I never knew that either :( poor Willow :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:50 
Bad Girl

That's terrible. My pooch has had seeds over him before but I try and get them off when we get home. It's bloody easy to miss the little blighters though. I never knew they could burrow under the skin - yikes!

I hope he gets better. X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:54 
Ready for action

We had no idea either and now we feel terrible that she's in so much pain and discomfort and we didn't do anything sooner. Wee soul. I'd mixed the painkiller in with her dinner but she wouldn't touch it even when I brought it to her so I ended up dripping it on to a rasher and she couldn't resist it no matter how poorly she felt. :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:21 

A couple of weeks ago a little cat we hadn't seen before turned up in our garden, every day I came home from work he would do the exact same run across the garden so we named him Glitch after the cat in the matrix. After about three days he started to hang around more asking for food, so we fed him and gave him a cardboard box with a cushion in. He took up residence and stayed for a few days but just as we were at the point of taking him into the house, presuming he was lost, he dissapeared. We found out that he had belonged to a neighbour 2 doors down who was affected by flooding and moved house to Dundee. They had abandoned him because they bought a puppy and it didn't get on with the cat. Glitch showed up again at about 9 last night in terrible shape, barely able to move and not eating or drinking even though he was emaciated. He went to the emergency vet and is still on a drip there, not doing well apparently, Mrs. W and I are heartbroken. Hoping he gets better and comes home with us soon.
:(:(:(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:24 
sneering elitist

Oh that's so sad :(

If you need any money towards the vets bill I'd happily chuck a tenner your way.

Hoping he is on the mend very soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's a cool name.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:49 
Decapodian

Jem wrote:
Oh that's so sad :(

If you need any money towards the vets bill I'd happily chuck a tenner your way.

Hoping he is on the mend very soon.

:this:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:22 
Ready for action

Aw no, that's awful the poor wee soul :( Let us know how he is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 13:22 

Aw you guys are lovely thanks, should be ok I'm going to see if the vet will be nice to us because he's a stray.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 14:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Can you not report the neighbour for cruelty?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 14:43 

Aw, poor little blighter, how can people be so heartless.
You're a diamond, Wookie. Needless to say I'd be happy to chip in too for the wee fella's vet bill, if needed/wanted. :)

Looks just like my first cat I had as a kid, same size, colouring and everything, what a little sweetheart she was, I was so upset when she died well into my adulthood. :'(

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 14:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:

I'd imagine they would just say that when they had to move due to the flood they couldn't find the cat. Fuckers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 15:42 
Bad Girl

You're a good egg Mr Wookie. Are you keeping him?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 15:53 
sneering elitist

Grim... wrote:

Good luck with that. The RSPCA have been useless in the past when I've attempted to report someone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 17:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

To the police, not that bunch of fucktards. But I suspect Craster is right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 18:01 
sneering elitist

The police would just tell you to ring the RSPCA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 18:45 

I suspect cras is right, if they got a phonecall saying we've got your missing cat then they'll just take him back and bloody abandon him again. Heard from the vet just now and while he is still very weak he has been rehydrated overnight and has been syringe fed, unfortunately he threw it up again but they've given him an anti sickness injection and will try again

Now prepare for sobbing.

The vet say they can't find a physical reason for his condition but he seems depressed and this might be why he won't eat or drink! *tears* whhhyyyyyyyyyyyyy?! Etc. Poor little sod :'(

In general though condition slightly better, keep sending good vibes :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 18:48 

If he makes it out we will totally keep him, apparently he might be fairly old but we can give him a happy home for as long as he lasts!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 19:08 
Decapodian

I'm not surprised he's depressed if he's a house cat that was dumped. Good to hear that it's not all bad news.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:50 
Ready for action

krazywookie wrote:
If he makes it out we will totally keep him, apparently he might be fairly old but we can give him a happy home for as long as he lasts!

Aw man I really hope he gets better. How can someone have a cat, or any animal, for years until it reaches old age and then abandon it :'(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:01 

How do you help with cat depression? Is it with gentle kitty snuggles? If so, I can totally help with that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:43 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
How do you help with cat depression? Is it with gentle kitty snuggles? If so, I can totally help with that.

Prozac. For reals.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:43 

Really? Oh :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:12 

Updatings... Blood test came back clear and physical still hasn't showed anything up, I believe he will take fluids now if fed them, but he only ate something after being dosed with steroids and he's still vomiting a lot. Im not sure quite what this all means, possibly there is a neurological problem like a brain tumor or something, quite common in old cats I hear. Im wondering if he has drank something poisonous but that would have shown up in blood right? Just want to concentrate on getting him better for now and leave beating the previous owners to within an inch of their lives until later. I do hope the kitten doctors are administering cuddles..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 

Aww man. Hope the little fella can pull through. Nowadays I can't handle anything to do with people being cruel to kids or animals without either welling up, getting the urge for violence or a confusing mixture of both. :S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 20:44 

True dat. Tentatively good neeewws everyone, looks as though glitch will be coming to live with us on Monday! He's eating and drinking by himself now and although his fits have subsided, the vet recommends that we keep him on epilepsy mens. Not sure that that's what's up with him but if it works over time then we'll know. I hope he can get along with our other 2 cats, or rather they get along with him!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 20:45 
Decapodian

Result! Well done Glitch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 22:44 
Bad Girl

That's fab news. I hope your extended cat family gets on!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:12 

:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:58 
Ready for action

Yay! :luv:

Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next