Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elite
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 13:27 

Zio wrote:
I get the feeling I might have to investigate the possibility of acquiring an Oculus Rift at some point. I can't imagine how incredible this game must be to play with one of those on your noggin.

I'm not expecting to get mine until September, but once I do, next time I find myself in Hemel I'll pop around if you like.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 15:02 

Definitely. Hell, I might even make you a cuppa! Really push the boat out! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 15:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
Definitely. Hell, I might even put a baby in you! Really push the boat out! ;)

FEEX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 16:52 

Grim... wrote:
Zio wrote:
Definitely. Hell, I might even put a baby in you! Really push the boat out! ;)

FEEX

Surely that goes without saying?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 22:51 

I haz Cobra Mk III! Will do a bit more trading to have a good buffer of cash, then I am going to buy weaponry and get on with a bit of space hijinx!

I can't stop playing this game. I know we are going to have our accounts reset at least once before the final game is released and these hours will be "wasted", but I just can't stay away from it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 0:14 
Can you dig it?

Is there much potential for LULZ-y griefing?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:31 

You can attack other players around the space stations, but I am not sure if there is a way to do "proper" pvp piracy yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:42 

You can already attack other players if you're in the same area of space as them, for instance around star ports and areas like the Federation Distress Signal in Eranin, but eventually you'll also be able to intercept and interdict players in supercruise to attack them. As I understand it, attacking another player with an Elite Federation of Pilots bounty on their head is totally legit, but attacking an innocent player is absolutely not and will attract a bounty on your own head. I'm sure I read that they're designing it so that you can get substantially reduced penalties if you offer your victim the chance to dump their cargo and leave rather than attacking them too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
I'm sure I read that they're designing it so that you can get substantially reduced penalties if you offer your victim the chance to dump their cargo and leave rather than attacking them too.

Presumably because you don't attack them?

;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:11 

Grim... wrote:
Zio wrote:
I'm sure I read that they're designing it so that you can get substantially reduced penalties if you offer your victim the chance to dump their cargo and leave rather than attacking them too.

Presumably because you don't attack them?

;)

Well, yes, obviously. I was more trying to point out the game presents the option for more traditional piracy, but through the filter of my didn't-sleep-very-well-last-night addled brain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 13:42 
Excellently Membered

Still enjoying this. Managed to work my way up to a Lakon 6. However I haven't helped myself; several times I tried to make a cuppa tea between jumps/frameshift and was attacked and destroyed, luckily I had enough money spare for insurance. Seem to attract pirates.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 21:20 
Decapodian

I'm finding it increasingly hard to resist the beta. How long till release?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 21:31 
Excellently Membered

Not sure but this year I think. Its fun but not sure I'd recommend jumping in just yet, unless you want to see it change and grow, its no finished game yet. However thats half the fun. The updates so far have been few and far between.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:45 

I've not had the time to dedicate to this that I'd like, but I've got the Viper at the moment, with enough in the bank to move up to the Cobra Mk III. I'm not sure that I will though - the Viper is such a fantastic combat ship, I don't think it could be beaten by any of the other ships in the game at the moment. I've got dual class-3 gimballed beam lasers as my primary weapon and dual class-1 gimballed multi-cannons as my secondary weapon and I feel virtually unstoppable against most enemies.

It's also the only ship I've seen that's fast enough to invoke the game's simulation of g-forces. Going full-throttle and hitting the boosters whilst trying to make a tight turn causes a g-force warning to display and for you to start blacking out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:27 
Excellently Membered

Excellent! I haven't really used the weapons much yet but the fighting I have done I've been terrible at. I think thats mostly because I'm using a mouse and keyboard, which isn't too bad for general piloting but pretty awful for combat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:35 

Something that occurred to me the other day, this with the Occulus Rift sounds really cool but how practical would it be to play if you can't even see your keyboard?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:50 

I don't use the keyboard at all, I have everything of use mapped to my X52.

Granted, if you don't have a suitable HOTAS or other controller, you're boned unless you've got excellent muscle memory and touch typing abilities, but I would imagine the sort of people that would drop money on the Oculus Rift (including the consumer version) would spring for a HOTAS too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 16:49 
Excellently Membered

Agreed. If you want to be the best Goose Man you need a stick or equivalent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 23:48 

I worry that I wouldn't get on with a HOTAS setup, much like I don't get on with steering wheel controllers in driving games (I even once bought that ludicrously expensive official Microsoft steering wheel for the Xbox 360 once, before having to take it back to the shop a week or two later because I just couldn't get used to it). It puts me off even thinking of spending the money out on one.

With any luck I may get a chance to try out an Oculus Rift at some point, and certainly some of the YouTube videos I've seen of it being used in Elite Dangerous massively appeal to me. For that reason I've learned to use an Xbox 360 controller with the Advanced Pad preset in Elite Dangerous now, as it lets me do everything I need without using the keyboard at all. The only problem I'm currently having is that boost is mapped to clicking the left-stick by default, which has occasionally resulted in me unexpectedly hitting boost when trying to do a tight turn in combat. At one point this meant actually boosting straight into a ship I was trying to avoid and destroying my ship in the process. Might have to find something to swap that with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:30 

Just had my first taste of PVP dogfighting at the Federation distress signal at Eranin 2, and I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. Won one and lost one. Pretty good considering I was scooting around in an Eagle with non-gimballed pulse lasers. The second fight, the one I lost, was a against a Viper, and (s)he took me apart pretty easily, as far as I could tell by going backwards and shooting at me with gimballed weapons. Top tip: Don't just sit there like a moron and shoot back when you're in an Eagle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:48 

HOTAS makes all the difference, Zio. It really does. I was sceptical too.

Offer of me bringing down my Rift (and HOTAS!) to Hemel when it's all received still stands ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 13:52 
Excellently Membered

Made my first million! Quite enjoyed having a larger jump distances but I think now I'll start playing around in the other areas of the game. Need to find a 360 pad though... I knew I should have kept one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 14:04 
Master of dodgy spelling....

itsallwater wrote:
Made my first million! Quite enjoyed having a larger jump distances but I think now I'll start playing around in the other areas of the game. Need to find a 360 pad though... I knew I should have kept one.

I have a wired one I don't use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 14:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Rub it in, why don't you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 14:22 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Rub it in, why don't you?

:D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 17:36 

GazChap wrote:
HOTAS makes all the difference, Zio. It really does. I was sceptical too.

Offer of me bringing down my Rift (and HOTAS!) to Hemel when it's all received still stands ;)

I would very happily accept that offer, just so you're aware! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 21:09 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

The video on this page maybe the thing that tips me over the edge, it really does look like the dogs bits.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08 ... ore-228911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 14:04 
Excellently Membered

The problem with playing this game is that I want to spend all my money on a new graphics card and large monitor. After that I'll also want to but a Rift.

However my 12 pence isn't going to buy me any of those things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 17:54 

Oculus Rift, then.

Unfortunately, Elite Dangerous doesn't seem to work through work's firewall, and I'm assuming I might have a bit of a time convincing anyone to do anything about that. But I have been able to try out the single-player combat missions and it's absolutely transformed by the Oculus Rift. The resolution is a bit low and I wear glasses for short-sightedness (I know the DK2 comes with corrective lenses, but I've not had time to try any of those out), so I find it really hard to read any of the in-game text, but seriously, my fucking God. Dogfights are incredible when you can naturally track your targets, then quickly glance down at your scanner when they fly out of view. It's an amazing experience.

I want my own Oculus Rift now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 23:59 
Excellently Membered

Mannnnn it sounds amazing. Not jealous at all!?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 

I was wrong about the resolution, I was running it at 720p, but the DK2 will handle up to 1080p, so that's naturally improved things, although I now need to tinker with other settings to get the frame rate back up (you ideally need a consistent 75FPS for the Rift to seem natural). But yeah, it's quite an experience. I just wish I could try the full beta like it - can't imagine what docking must be like with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:29 
Unpossible!

Best take it home then, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:37 

Wish I could!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:48 
Excellently Membered

So is it worth waiting longer for the final/official release? I'm guessing I'll have to wait long enough to afford a good enough GFX card to run this and the Oculus anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 13:07 

I can actually run it maxed and with a bit of AA at 1920x1200 with my trusty GTX460 1GB card, and although the frame rate certainly isn't 60 fps, in general it runs perfectly well and dogfights are smooth. I've got a fairly up to date CPU (Core i5-4670k), and it seems to be using about 30% of that.

It's also worth remembering for anyone who backed it in Kickstarter that the beta is at most 15 quid up from that regardless of your tier.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 15:19 

lasermink wrote:
I can actually run it maxed and with a bit of AA at 1920x1200 with my trusty GTX460 1GB card, and although the frame rate certainly isn't 60 fps, in general it runs perfectly well and dogfights are smooth. I've got a fairly up to date CPU (Core i5-4670k), and it seems to be using about 30% of that.

It's also worth remembering for anyone who backed it in Kickstarter that the beta is at most 15 quid up from that regardless of your tier.

Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to run an Oculus on it and get those results.

As for the beta, it is only an extra £15 if you've already pre-ordered or backed enough on the Kickstarter to be entitled the game on release. It is a bit limited still though, and to be honest I've got a wee bit bored of Beta 1 now. Looking forward to Beta 2 mind you. It's cool getting to see how a game like this gradually comes together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 16:25 

It probably won't feel like proper Elite until they open up the entire galaxy for exploration. The latest newsletters with their hints about outposts and exploration is making me salivate for what is to come.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 18:15 

Okay, so it turns out tethering our Oculus demo PC to my phone is enough to get it online, so I finally got to do some supercrusing and hyperspace jumping and docking and OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! Somehow I'm meant to go back to real life after this. It's fucking *amazing*! The docking stations and planets and everything just seem massive and being able to freely look around just transforms what it's like to play in every sense. Landing on the pads in the docking stations actually seems easier now I can look around properly and see what I'm doing.

Just fucking amazing. I'm meant to be going out tonight, but I'd happily stay at work and just play this!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:46 

You bastard.

:P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:34 

Elite: Dangerous' original budget was £8m

Eurogamer wrote:
Sandbox spaceship game Elite: Dangerous may have only - only! - raised £1.58m ($2.5m) on Kickstarter, but that was just a fraction of the original budget.

"The original budget, because we put a lot of our money towards it, was £8m," David Braben - the man in charge - told me at Gamescom. And, he added, "it's grown by quite a lot".

"We're a public company so we can't put out figures without first putting them to the City, but let's just say we're very, very happy."

It may not be the $50m (£30m) that Star Citizen - that other crowd-funded space game - has managed to raise, but Braben's studio Frontier Developments has been turning out games reliably for a decade, and turning a profit.

Chris Roberts' Cloud Imperium Games, on the other hand, was founded in 2012 to make Star Citizen. Will it be as efficient - will it matter?

Elite: Dangerous continues to make money as people buy beta access at £50 a pop. This also buys you the full game.

In mid-August when we spoke, more than 75,000 people were playing the Elite: Dangerous beta, providing "more and more money that moves ever closer to the game breaking even in a really good way".

"Oh we already have enough [money] to see it through," Braben added, almost chastising me for suggesting such a thing. "It all means it just de-risks it in a really good way."

I did have trouble understanding how they could produce what they are producing with just the money they raised on Kickstarter, so this explains that.

It does make me feel rather more confident that they'll be able to finish this properly and get round to doing planetary landings as well.

I still don't really understand how they plan to fund the server costs down the line, though. Maybe more stuff along the lines of the paintjobs currently on offer? I guess there are more surprises waiting ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 15:41 

The latest newsletter announces that the retail price of Elite: Dangerous will be £35.00 ($50 and €40).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 15:49 

Also announced: In the final game players will be able to own multiple ships. Only one ship can be flown at a time, the rest can be stored away in "garages" on space stations, so you don't have to re-buy and reconfigure every time you want to change role (once you have enough money to be able to afford it, obviously).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 15:55 

That was always in the design documents, but I'm glad that we have confirmation that this feature will be present for release.

No news on beta 2 though, although now there's rampant speculation that it'll be released to coincide with the 30th Anniversary.

Hopefully it'll drop around the same time I get my DK2 - whenever that may be!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 15:57 

Are those documents available for us regular folks who aren't in the super seekret designer forum?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 16:10 

I think so, yeah. The archived discussions, which I think are freely viewable by all (you may need to register a forum account, but that's it) should be here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 16:53 

Nice, thanks, I already have an account, but I haven't visited much. It seems a pretty confusing mass of threads, to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 23:01 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 0:01 

Cobracure wrote:
lasermink wrote:
The latest newsletter announces that the retail price of Elite: Dangerous will be £35.00 ($50 and €40).

I could be tempted by this as long as I can buy it in a dvd style case and there is no "always on" internet thing.

In fact I paid £35 for C&C in 1996 so as long as I can get a physical box and no steam or shit like that I'll buy it - like I did with Freelancer in 2003.

I just know this wont happen same as people buy internet kindle electronic books whilst I still buy physical paper books.

Hey ho! :(

I said "retail price", but they don't actually call it that. The Kickstarter did have a tier that included a physical DRM-free copy of the game, although that was £60, and if the final release does end up being sold in this manner, it will probably still require you to log in (I don't really know).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 0:15 

From what I can see from googling around, it does seem there will be a totally offline mode of play - this would also allow players who normally play online to create independent play sessions for experimental purposes or whatever.

EDIT: It is still not entirely clear to me if there will still be some sort of verification log in or not, although they have said that the game would be made in such a way that it would still be playable if one day the servers have to be shut of permanently.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:22 

lasermink wrote:
I still don't really understand how they plan to fund the server costs down the line, though. Maybe more stuff along the lines of the paintjobs currently on offer? I guess there are more surprises waiting ahead.

Well, the server costs aren't going to be anything like what CCP would have to pay for EVE, for instance. The game relies on Peer-to-Peer networking to operate, with Frontier's server existing to more to manage backend stuff like matchmaking, player comms, dynamic stock markets and injected special events.

This is the reason there's a delay coming out of supercruise, particularly in range of space stations, as Frontier's matchmaking connects you to a player actually hosting an instance of that area of space. It sounds horrendous, but once they've got the delays sorted out, it should be fairly seamless. They've designed it so that even though entering and dropping out of supercruise is obviously intended to partially mask the loading of instances, it's not necessary to use the supercruise function to fly places (it just takes a colossal amount of time to travel large distances without supercruise). For instance, I was interdicted once on my way to a station and forced out of supercruise a few hundred km from the station - still well beyond how far you'd appear from the station by supercruising there normally. Once I'd dealt with the encounter I decided to just use conventional flight to go the rest of the way to the station to see what would happen - and sure enough, once I was close enough I could see the station far in the distance, getting closer. As I got within range, other player ships started appearing on my scanner - all completely seamless.

I saw someone from Frontier on their forum state that they'd designed the engine to allow travel between systems without hyperspace too, although they've included restrictions within the gameplay to prevent players from doing so (not only would it take too long, even under supercruise, it would burn more fuel than any of the ships can carry). I don't know how true that is though.

GazChap wrote:
No news on beta 2 though, although now there's rampant speculation that it'll be released to coincide with the 30th Anniversary.

Hopefully it'll drop around the same time I get my DK2 - whenever that may be!

You're going to love using the DK2 with it. The resolution is still not completely wonderful even on the DK2 (improving this is one of the key objectives of development for the final consumer version), and Elite Dangerous's choice of typeface makes some of the HUD readouts difficult to read, but it's such an amazing way to play the game. You do need a pretty strong GPU though - ideally you need to be able to achieve a consistent 75 FPS for Oculus to work at it's best. That said, I couldn't get that level of performance out of our test rig at work though and I thought it was perfectly playable - after posting last Wednesday, I stayed at work for another 90 mins playing it. I only stopped because I had to get home (and the bridge of my glasses was starting to dig into my nose inside the Rift). Best to play in the dark too, if you can, as light tends to get in through the nose gap in the visor.

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next