Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 22:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Then you get nothing. As was clearly explained to you before you put any money down.

Quite.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 22:46 

So what?

What if your lottery ticket doesn't win? What if the value of your house goes down after you buy it? What if the company you bought shares in goes bankrupt?

Not every financial transaction has to be defined as money-goes-in, goods-come-out. The world is richer and more complex than that.

Or to put it another way: who are you to tell the users of KickStarter how to spend their money?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 23:04 

I think this is the thing really. It's an accepted risk. Maybe the game will never be released. Certainly, whilst it was all just fancy videos and so on, I stuck to a £20 pledge on the Kickstarter, because whilst I rank the previous 3 Elite games as being among my absolute, all time favourite games ever, and whilst I've been looking forward to the mere prospect of a fourth game in the series since the nineties, I couldn't afford to go throwing money and something that might never happen.

Of course, once people started showing off Twitch streams of them playing the Alpha builds, I felt more confident about jumping in myself.

As it stands, the Premium Beta, which is really just a rebalanced Alpha 4, is pretty damn good. Unstable as all buggery, which makes for a frustrating experience at times, but hey, it's still relatively early days. I'm exceptionally impressed by what I've played so far however.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
who are you to tell the users of KickStarter how to spend their money?

I'm the guy answering
Malc wrote:
I also don't see how the consumer suffers?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

Plus, you know, precedent. If i'm making a game and I see I can gain more cash but not actually releasing it and just flogging it to people as an unfinished alpha, then not releasing it and just making small changes every so often could be a viable business plan...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:18 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
Plus, you know, precedent. If i'm making a game and I see I can gain more cash but not actually releasing it and just flogging it to people as an unfinished alpha, then not releasing it and just making small changes every so often could be a viable business plan...

Trooper, you can do the stuffs and we'll split it mostly for me and I'll throw you come crumbs!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:

That's the plot of The Producers, but with games instead of plays, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Trooper, you can do the stuffs and we'll split it mostly for me and I'll throw you come crumbs!

There is an RPG game maker in the latest Humble Bundle. I was tempted to make a Beex RPG...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:

That's the plot of The Producers, but with games instead of plays, isn't it?

Quite possibly, I walked out of the remake after 30 minutes, as it was fucking awful :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 0:41 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cobracure wrote:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/11/elite-dangerous-arrives-at-e3-station-with-a-cargo-hold-full-of-trailer-footage/#null

Looking good... :kiss:

Wtf is up with that website? An uncloseable popup video advert right in the centre of the screen. I'm sure the ad revenue was worth it guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:52 

It's excellent, and that trailer is no pre-rendered "here's what we're hoping it'll look like" thing - that's how the game actually looks. It's really going to be something else when it's released.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 23:28 

Just bumped into Gazchap in the LP 98-132 system. A slight mis-communication occurred, during which we may have opened fire on each other and I may have destroyed his shields and was making progress on his hull before some other chumps decided to join in and make mincemeat of me.

I was starting to get a little frustrated with this not-really-even-a-beta-yet - but this has renewed my faith somewhat! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 23:32 

My faith has been renewed massively now that I have a headset/microphone and TrackIR running.

So I can now look all around my cockpit just by moving my head, and can use voice commands to control the ship. IT'S THE FUTURE.

And yeah, I flew to LP 98-132 4 to see if there were any canisters of valuable cargo to scoop up, only to see "CMDR ZIO" in my contact list. Given the lack of proper communications in the beta at the moment, I fired at him a couple of times just to get his attention and say "Hello", and then he decided to try and kill me - so I'm glad some others stepped in ;)

(although I was then completely obliterated by the AI in an Anaconda shortly after :P)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 23:38 

Head-tracking would definitely be pretty nice for this I think. I don't have anything swanky and just play with a wired Xbox 360 pad, but I'm starting to get okay at piloting with that. Having the combination of pitch and roll on the left stick and yaw and vertical thrust on the right stick means you can get fairly decent at manoeuvring in dogfights after some practice. I've setup my landing overrides so that the L and R triggers provide lateral thrust when my landing gear is deployed, which makes docking a breeze.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 23:41 

I've tried it with a 360 pad, but I can't get used to it compared to the HOTAS stick I have. Similar set up to you though, when my landing gear is deployed (USING MY VOICE) the POV hat controls my directional thrusters.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:04 

I've bought in to the beta, since it was somehow only 18 euro up from what I had. So that means in 4 days time I will be playing this! Whoopee!

Now I am giving consideration to the lifetime expansion pack - it's kind of annoying that we really have no idea of how good a deal it is or isn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:05 

As it turns out, I can already play the Combat 1.00 scenarios for now!

I AM PLAYING ELITE!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ok, £50 for a pre-order and beta access, that's getting closer to a reasonable price. It's certainly within the I'm bored impulse threshold for me, so I expect I'll be giving it a go at some point soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:31 
Excellently Membered

LIFETIME EXPANSION PASS or NOT LIFETIME EXPANSION PASS... agg?!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:38 

itsallwater wrote:
LIFETIME EXPANSION PASS or NOT LIFETIME EXPANSION PASS... agg?!

Right? I ended up going for it, on the basis that they have delivered the goods so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:45 
Excellently Membered

Its a not too inconsiderate sum and I have so little free time but but but I've spent sooo long waiting for something like this. Garrr!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 

Played this until 6 in the morning.

It is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:53 

And now I'll play it some more!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:57 

Except I can't, since the servers are overrun. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 18:35 
Excellently Membered

I decided I'd join. Its completely crazy so far. Tempted to find out a 360 controller. The mouse and keyboard is a bit hard. Had to spend a while learning to dock. And super cruise is hard to get right.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 18:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... _surprise/

Quote:
DK2 Impressions by Zimtok5 Warning: Spoilers across several older games below. Also, long post!
I'm an avid gamer with a passion for games over all other art forms and consider myself a critic with exacting standards. I have toyed with Unity and count myself as an enthusiast and on that basis bought a DK2 just 2 hours after sales opened in March. Yesterday, my Rift made it to me in Scotland. Up to that point, I had my hopes set on the DK1 with a bit better resolution. I nearly hugged the driver in anticipation but, boy, was I wrong. It was a far more fundamental jump than I had expected.
After a bit of setup and jumping through various Rift demos, the Elite: Dangerous servers came back online after receiving a major update; opening their doors to the world (and me) as part of the Standard Beta. Just moments into the multiplayer game, I realised it. E:D in the Oculus Rift DK2 is simply the single best gaming experience I have had to date in my 29 year life. I sat on this statement this morning, comparing memories which may have been better in both indie and triple A titles, but E:D plus DK2 beat them all by comparisons, hands down. So, what floored me and evoked surprise and emotions I never thought would surface while gaming? Initially, it was the sight of a rotating space station with a planet far below and trails of smoke from recent passers by which made the entire scene electric to me. I just sat there and soaked it in as the small beeps and sounds of my ship ticking over reminded me that I, too, was alive and part of it all. As I took a flyby of a floating city and docking station, something about the detail level and ethereal combination of elements caused an involuntary tear to roll down my right check in front of more Twitch viewers than I thought I would ever have. I have never felt that in a game. I know others will feel this with me, in time. I realised am no longer waiting for change, in fact. The world -has- changed. It has changed forever.
To compare, my experience last night:
Was more impressive than the renowned Half Life [PC] moment where a huge tentacle from Xen pins a scientist to the wall, smashing through a pane glass window; one of the biggest shocks of my early PC gaming life. Seeing a planet floating yet suspended in the most subtle of motions at full scale is one for the bucket list.
Pulled on heart strings harder than failing to resurrect Chrono in Chrono Trigger [SNES]. When you bond with a character so closely, losing them and then losing them again can really jerk you around.
Gave me a purer sense of freedom than releasing Epona in The Ocarina of Time and taking a mane-whipping ride across the plains of Hyrule. I nearly shouted 'FREEEEDOM!' In the vein of my Scottish countrymen. Breaking free of the dock and boosting my engines felt like graduating from some interstellar university. I wished I had a hat to throw in the air and cheer.
More satisfying than after more than 30 attempts defeating the end boss in Unreal Tournament named Xan, yet finally breaking through and securing the victory (and a new skin for muliplayer to show off proudly). Getting pulled out of warp and drawn into a gun battle which I only won thanks to some helpful players was simply epic. I thought I was a dead man... but lived.
Was a more lucid experience than tunnelling to the core in Minecraft and feeling solitary, confined, and entombed by the glow of lava on the cave walls, wondering if I would ever find home again.
Had me feeling truly lost in space and more in over my head than wandering the shores of the Chernarussian coast in DayZ mod for the first time with flares lighting up despondent zombie faces as they meandered ominously through the fog.
Made me dream of the future more than walking through a custom built house in the DK1 and for the first time truly seeing the future of gaming and recognising the unbridled potential of this amazing new hardware at the hands of thousands of craftsmen and women (Rift devs!).
TL:DR Dude... dude... I wept over a game. What!? Yes. It happened.
In summary:
If you have disposable income to spend, the combination of an Oculus Rift DK2 plus Elite: Dangerous is perhaps the best available use of your funds right now. This is a jaw-dropping, tear-jerking experience and I give the developers at Frontier major kudos for getting so ahead of the pack and at an astounding level of quality on their delivery to date. I felt like I was back in the store in San Francisco on launch day for the iPhone. Frontier are months (if not years) ahead of their competition and deserving of your hard earned credits. :P (Seriously, though!)
I am SO happy to have taken the gut shot at ordering my DK2 on the basis of my original experineces. If you can, just do it. This is an absolutely incredible and groundbreaking experience.
I leave you with this:
"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." – Captain Kirk

Excited yet Gazchap?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 18:54 

Hah, I basically just posted a link to that on my Facebook :P

I've only managed about 5 minutes of play of the new beta so far and already there appears to be far more bugs than in the previous version. I guess that's to be expected with all of the new features added, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 23:04 
Excellently Membered

So far its ok. Not enjoying the slow loading between jumps. Seems to take ages once you know what your doing a but more. Also some tweaks to the trade map could make it easier to navigate.

Almost on top of the mouse and keyboard combo at the moment for the basics. Not sure I'm much better in a dog fight but I haven't crashed into space station yet. I did frame-jump (what ever its called) into a planet though and had the emergency breaks applied, which dented my hull a little.

Quite enjoying it but I need to risk it in a dog fight at some point, just not sure I'm good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 

I finally got in about an hour on Beta 1 last night. I really like it myself, feels much more like a proper Elite game now. I haven't encountered any major bugs myself so far although I don't doubt they're there. Certainly I've noticed there's suddenly a delay entering hyperspace and the delay with dropping out of super cruise has got worse again. I'm confident both of these issues can be sorted out though as the super cruise drop out delay was utterly horrific in Premium Beta 1 but was made vastly better in Premium Beta 2.

The mission system seems to be a good way of earning money early on right now. I did a couple of easy delivery missions and made some decent easy credits as a result. The trade system seems much improved now also. The limited number of systems in the Premium Beta made trade utterly pointless as the stock market prices in the various systems quickly seemed to neutralise, but now it seems like a viable way of earning money. I also like that the starting Sidewinder ship is ever-so-slightly better armed, which also makes it a little easier to start out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 21:14 

Having traded until now, I have started visiting the unidentified signal sources. Some easy fights can be had like that, and what the heck, the Sidewinder is free anyway. At one time I came upon a Federation distress signal. Turned out, the feds were moving in on Eranin, but they had had one of their capital ships ambushed by Eranin defense forces, or so it seemed. I naturally helped the Eranins holding the Federation fighters at bay, while the assault on the big ship carried out. Again, the Federation fighters were easy pickings, although no one seemed capable of hurting the massive capital ship which, by the way, was MASSIVE and AMAZING.

Then on the way back to collect the bounties, I got interdicted. Normally I fly around with engine power on max, and if I just use my boost as soon as possible I can normally easily get the frame shift drive online before they even get to scan me. This time I thought, what the heck, let's see who they are and what they're up to. It was three pirates in Cobras, and they annihilated me as I desperately tried to boost away while my frame shift drive warmed up at a snail's pace. Turns out, you lose your bounty vouchers when you die. Oh well.

The have pretty much nailed the combat and the movement of the ships, as well as the control and feeling of the player's own ship. And that was just the Sidewinder with a pair of pulse lasers. I can't wait to try out the rest of the ships and weapons. Just need a few more credits to get a hauler...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What happens when you die?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:19 

You respawn at the last station you docked at (or presumably at a random station if you never docked)

You also get a choice of respawn, you can either have a Sidewinder with the basic loadout, for free.
Or if you have enough sponds, you can buy the ship you had before with the same loadout but at a greatly reduced price compared to buying it normally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So you lose the ship you were in, obv. Can you attempt to recover any cargo it had in it, or bits of ship?

Is there any financial penalty?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:36 
Master of dodgy spelling....

GazChap wrote:
You respawn at the last station you docked at (or presumably at a random station if you never docked)

You also get a choice of respawn, you can either have a Sidewinder with the basic loadout, for free.
Or if you have enough sponds, you can buy the ship you had before with the same loadout but at a greatly reduced price compared to buying it normally.

Not quite as harsh as EVE then

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:48 

Grim... wrote:
So you lose the ship you were in, obv. Can you attempt to recover any cargo it had in it, or bits of ship?

Is there any financial penalty?

No financial penalty as such, but if you have killed any wanted pilots (people with bounties on their heads) you will lose them, as you don't collect bounties until you dock and claim them from the Pilot's Federation.

Any cargo you had in the ship will explode out of the ship hull and can be scooped by other pilots (or even NPCs I think) - they disappear after a certain length of time though.

Ship bits can't be salvaged.

This is all just in the beta too, the final game will perhaps be different - this is the design discussion topic for death.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:14 

The thing to watch out for early on is spending literally every last penny you have loading up on cargo to sell somewhere else, only to be interdicted and destroyed en route. Yeah, you can grab a free basic Sidewinder, but you'll have no money and no cargo. Of course there are ways of getting back into the game without having to wipe your save game and start again from scratch though, especially now the bulletin board missions have been implemented.

Apparently one of the plans for the final game is compulsory ship insurance. If you're unable to pay the excess on death, you have to take out a loan for it instead to be paid off in instalments.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 14:19 
Excellently Membered

Yeah. I crashed my first ship and all my pulse lasers are LOANED to me. Which sucks a little. Kept my starting cash though. Is there a docking offline scenario? Haven't found one, if so there probably should be one.

Also managed to get stranded with high value cargo as I didn't take into account that 4 Computer Components weight less than 4 units of a metal. Not sure how I'd work that out ahead of time. Result was I could get to BD+47 2112 (oh yes what a wonderful name) but after sales and purchases couldn't get back again and had only one other local system to jump to which was essentially a dead end. Suffice to say that trip didn't make me any money.

Also what is everyone using as controls ?

Also is the docking computer any good/faster?

Wish I had more time to play, only had a few hours so far, spent most of it browsing the forums.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 15:06 

Don't worry about them being loaned at this stage. That's basically a way of saying they come with the ship and you can't sell them for credits (whereas any weapons you buy CAN be sold off later if you wish).

I don't get how the mass system works myself yet. All of that, including the fuel system, is new to Beta 1. I'm hoping to get some time in on it this evening to learn all that part better.

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller myself, with some less common functions mapped to the keyboard.

The videos I've seen of the Docking Computer don't make it look all that great to me, the pathfinding AI seems to suck pretty badly so far. Besides which, I find docking a breeze now. It's like driving a car in a way - bastard hard the first couple of times you do it, but it soon becomes second nature. All the same, I'm tempted to buy one because the game plays the Blue Danube Waltz when it's activated, in keeping with the previous Elite games (and 2001: A Space Odyssey of course).

I haven't had much time on Beta 1 yet (about an hour tops), but I'm hoping to get my teeth stuck in this weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 15:19 
Excellently Membered

Excellent. Looks like 1.03 is out just now too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 17:56 

Yeah, it's annoying that you can't see what length of jump you will be able to make before you fill your cargo bay.

And I use a monstrously expensive CH Fighterstick / CH Pro Throttle combo. It's marvelous for Elite, since the throttle has a little analog ministick which I have assigned to vertical/lateral thrust. I also use it for looking around, when holding a modifier button. The only problem is the lack of yaw, since the joystick doesn't twist (I never liked the "twist to yaw" joysticks). Currently I use left and right on the stick's thumb button, but there is a set of CH Pro Pedals on the way to me as we speak. Yes, €s galore, but it will be worth it. Plus, I play a lot of Flight Simulator as well, as well as Freespace and other stuff. It will be worth it, dammit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 18:05 

Do you have VoiceAttack and TrackIR set up? If not, *get it* - TrackIR makes a huge difference just by itself, and being able to command your ship with your voice is suitably futuristic ;)

"COMPUTER, ALL POWER TO WEAPONS" and all that ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 18:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

Isn't TrackIR £100 on it's own, or is there a cheaper version out there?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 18:45 

I've noticed that with the new update (or maybe it was there before and I didn't notice), some of the long jump links in the galaxy map are colored grey now, which might mean something important.

EDIT: Oh yes, there is a slider now which will allow you to set a tonnage for the jump connections.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 19:27 

It doesn't seem to work too well, though, when I arrived at the long jump it seemed to have changed its mind?!? There is now a couple of canisters of fish floating in space around Aulin.

If you'd like to check out the new "rich" space station interior, go to Wyrd.

And I was going to ask how to get rid of stolen stuff, but it seems a black market button has suddenly appeared under contacts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 16:46 

Trooper wrote:
Isn't TrackIR £100 on it's own, or is there a cheaper version out there?

New, yeah. If you get a good deal on eBay though, it can be much cheaper - seems that some people can't spell "trackir" ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:29 

I'm getting used to the Advanced Control Pad controls now, which seems to map pretty much everything to the Xbox 360 controller. In fact, the only thing I use that I'm not sure has been mapped is ship lights, which I rarely use anyway.

I get the feeling I might have to investigate the possibility of acquiring an Oculus Rift at some point. I can't imagine how incredible this game must be to play with one of those on your noggin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:29 

I'm getting used to the Advanced Control Pad controls now, which seems to map pretty much everything to the Xbox 360 controller. In fact, the only thing I use that I'm not sure has been mapped is ship lights, which I rarely use anyway.

I get the feeling I might have to investigate the possibility of acquiring an Oculus Rift at some point. I can't imagine how incredible this game must be to play with one of those on your noggin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why are you posting twice everywhere, Zio?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:38 

Arseholes, sorry, didn't realise I was. It's because I'm using Safari 8 Beta, and it's buggy as shit. Apologies all!

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next