PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 22:24 
SavyGamer

I'd pirate the game then.

Post subject: Re: Steam
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 23:48 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
But you're trying to play relatively old games on a brand new operating system, which is positively asking for trouble.

When is an 'old game' old ?

I already have both games for my xbox - just for a few quid i thought i might as well pick it up on the PC as well and for the laptop I thought i could play them if i was not at home.

Fallout 3 came out in October 2008 so its 4 and a bit years old
Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition came out in April 2010 so its nearly 3 years old

I wouldn't consider either *that* old , and given the laptop is not a 'gaming machine' I wouldn't dream of going near something new because it would simply be unplayable

As a gamer there's no way I'd even entertain the possibility of moving to Windows 8 yet, even if I loved it pieces (rather than wishing I could nuke the entire bastard OS from orbit, just to be sure).

New laptop and it came with Windows 8 pre-installed , yes I could nuke it , gather up the drivers and put Windows 7 on it but thats a lot of work for a machine that i'm using for other things and that i just wanted to play some games on

I stuck on XP for years rather than risk problems with Vista, I only made the move forward when Windows 7 was well established.

Same here , although I tried Vista and 7 when they came out

An operating system is a platform to run other things on, why move to a wobbly new untested platform when you want to play years old games on it?

See above - i'm using the laptop for other things - games was a nice to have , not the purpose of the machine - I also disagree that Windows 8 is 'wobbly' and the issues that i've given would both affect it even if it was an absolutely *perfect* OS , the SF4 issue is that Steam is setup to download the wrong stuff so you need to manually rip it out and put the right stuff on manually first - from what i can tell Fallout3 doesn't like new hardware and is incompatible with a lot of stuff so you need to manually fiddle it to ignore those things - neither is related to the stability or not of Windows 8

I'm not saying some people don't have problems playing games on their PC, because they clearly do, but the examples you've given there zaphod were 100% avoidable if you hadn't jumped head-first into using a brand new OS.

I disagree - The fixes I was following for Fallout 3 are for Windows 7 users as well and as mentioned the machine I have came with Windows 8 pre-installed - for a 'new' user your actually suggesting that they wipe the OS on their machine and buy an old one to put on so they can play games - that doesn't seem very practical ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 0:08 
Paws for thought

zaphod79 wrote:
An operating system is a platform to run other things on, why move to a wobbly new untested platform when you want to play years old games on it?

See above - i'm using the laptop for other things - games was a nice to have , not the purpose of the machine - I also disagree that Windows 8 is 'wobbly' and the issues that i've given would both affect it even if it was an absolutely *perfect* OS , the SF4 issue is that Steam is setup to download the wrong stuff so you need to manually rip it out and put the right stuff on manually first - from what i can tell Fallout3 doesn't like new hardware and is incompatible with a lot of stuff so you need to manually fiddle it to ignore those things - neither is related to the stability or not of Windows 8

Indeed. That valve are not particularly supportive of windows 8 is hardly a particularly well hidden secret

If they cared, steam would barely have any more problems with installing stuff correctly than 7, but that's not the strategy they've chosen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 19:27 
chewbacca -future arc welder

:( That explains it then. I recently got one of these:

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 Laptop, Intel Core i7-3520M 2.9GHz, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 15.6 HD LED, DVDRW, Intel HD, Webcam, Windows 8 64

and installed steam because you lot seem to like it (or so I thought!) but its having problems presumably due to windows 8. It came with the laptop so I didn't have a choice in the matter and I don't have a way of getting my hands on win7 at the moment.

Anyway, before I go buying stuff that will look like a jittery mess when I try to play it, what sort of games is it likely to be able to run?

I got sim city 4 (which is ace) and it seems to have trouble with the [mode where you drive a car around on the streets whatever thats called] mode. I am a tad disappointed at that but not heart broken as I didnt really buy it for gaming on, just thought it should be able to handle an old game like that ?:|

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 20:26 
Paws for thought

krazywookie wrote:
:( That explains it then. I recently got one of these:

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 Laptop, Intel Core i7-3520M 2.9GHz, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 15.6 HD LED, DVDRW, Intel HD, Webcam, Windows 8 64

and installed steam because you lot seem to like it (or so I thought!) but its having problems presumably due to windows 8. It came with the laptop so I didn't have a choice in the matter and I don't have a way of getting my hands on win7 at the moment.

Anyway, before I go buying stuff that will look like a jittery mess when I try to play it, what sort of games is it likely to be able to run?

I got sim city 4 (which is ace) and it seems to have trouble with the [mode where you drive a car around on the streets whatever thats called] mode. I am a tad disappointed at that but not heart broken as I didnt really buy it for gaming on, just thought it should be able to handle an old game like that ?:|

I have yet to have find something that I can't get running on w8.

Magicka required playing around with XNA redist, and dark souls/batman required similar with gfwl.

Intel HD can be troublesome though - many things just plain don't render on it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 13:12 
Excellent Member

Fuck sake. Just fired up Steam to play a couple of demos and got hit with a mandatory 110MB update to download. Which then hung at 107MB before throwing a 'fatal error' because it no longer thinks my net connection's up and running. Excellent stuff there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 13:21 

Yes, but other people don't have problems with Steam so 'console' yourself with that knowledge until Gabe decides you can play your games.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 13:25 
Excellent Member

GovernmentYard wrote:
Yes, but other people don't have problems with Steam so 'console' yourself with that knowledge until Gabe decides you can play your games.

To be fair when I launched it again it did a second 3MB download and then started up as normal but yeah, it's not brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 13:28 

I just had to uninstall Steam because it wouldn't start up at all. No window, no messages, nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 16:50 
Comfortably Dumb

The Linux Client seems to have an update every time I load it up. Last night's update seemed to go a bit pear-shaped, but it's attempted it again today and worked fine. Good to see it's getting updates though - I'm hoping support for more games will be added - of the *checks* 299 (cripes) games listed in Steam, 35 of them have a linux version.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

There is a good question. I don't think i'm too bad, but it is still rather crazy to have the following.

71 games in my steam library, of which I have played (as in installed and started at least once)
21 games, of which I have played more than once
13, of which I have completed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:10 
Comfortably Dumb

Pleasantly surprised to see that I have 51 games in my 'recent' list, so at least I've played some of them I suppose. As for completing them..

Safecracker
Puzzle Kingdoms
Peggle & Peggle Nights (I did this on the Xbox too.. sucker that I am)
Bejeweled 3 (as much as it can be completed at least)
Bookworm Adventures Vol. 1 and 2. (Not exactly difficult though)
Puzzle Agent (Had to cheat a bit on that as I didn't think a couple of the puzzles were particularly well explained)

I notice Scratches runs under Linux so I might give that a go - it runs horrendously on my Windows partition.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 22:17 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

devilman wrote:
The Linux Client seems to have an update every time I load it up. Last night's update seemed to go a bit pear-shaped, but it's attempted it again today and worked fine. Good to see it's getting updates though - I'm hoping support for more games will be added - of the *checks* 299 (cripes) games listed in Steam, 35 of them have a linux version.

Have you enabled steam beta, or something? Or maybe it updates and I don't notice, as it's running every second my PC is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:23 
UltraMod

I hope this summer sale ends soon or I'll be bankrupt. So far I've picked up:

Portal + Portal 2
Bioshock + Bioshock 2
Counter-Strike GO
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Fez
Surgeon Simulator 2013
I Am Alive
Deadlight
Doom 3: BFG Edition
The Swapper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:27 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm incredibly choosy with the Steam sales these days, I went a bit nuts one year and ended up with a massive list of games I've never even installed, much less actually played.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how cheap a game is, if you're never going to play it you've still paid far too much for it.

Free time is the limiting factor for me, not cost, so I buy games based on an honest assessment of, 'Am I going to install this and play it through, ever, or not?'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:38 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Can someone answer this, whenever I play a game on Steam it loads up like it's the first time I've ever played it.

For instance, last night I clicked on Hotline Miami. The initial screenshot said that I'd played it for 50 odd minutes already but the pop up box said something like "initialising Hotline Miami for the first time. Step 1/4"

It then went on to install Direct X amongst other things but when the game eventually started, it had all my saves intact so it clearly knew I'd played it before.

What's going on?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:54 
Legendary Boogeyman

The steam sale isn't that great, in the sense that the daily deals are the same titles with different discounts depending on the day.

Although I must admit to picking up:

Scribblenauts Unlimited
Darksiders
Darksiders 2
System Shock 2 (£1.74!)

And I keep getting these pointless electronic trading cards, which I sell instantly on the community market and then get 20 or 30p off my next purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Can someone answer this, whenever I play a game on Steam it loads up like it's the first time I've ever played it.

For instance, last night I clicked on Hotline Miami. The initial screenshot said that I'd played it for 50 odd minutes already but the pop up box said something like "initialising Hotline Miami for the first time. Step 1/4"

It then went on to install Direct X amongst other things but when the game eventually started, it had all my saves intact so it clearly knew I'd played it before.

What's going on?

Your Steam install is probably corrupt. Try reinstalling?

Or get a 360.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:01 
Excellent Member

I was going to buy Deadlight and then when i was about to pay i noticed that i already had that game. That was the turning point for me. I guess the only games i really "need" this sale are Dark Souls and Rogue Legacy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

A quick Google shows me that loads of people are having this problem too and it doesn't look like there's an easy fix.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:

What's going on?

That shouldn't happen, there's no way around every game installing DirectX the first time you play it, explanation here - http://www.geek.com/games/why-does-ever ... x-1558718/

But thereafter you shouldn't get it for that game. Possible fixes abound if you have a Google, usually involves deleting stuff out of the Steam folder.

Is it doing a full reinstall of DirectX for you, or just sort of a 'check'? Dishonored for me for example, looks like it's kicking off the installer again and shows step 1/4, but it disappears after literally one second and doesn't actually install anything, and just launches the game normally.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:31 
Excellent Member

Is it doing a full reinstall of DirectX for you, or just sort of a 'check'? Dishonored for me for example, looks like it's kicking off the installer again and shows step 1/4, but it disappears after literally one second and doesn't actually install anything, and just launches the game normally.

In the times when this has happened to me this is what I get; it does the check every time but then realises it doesn't need to do anything and moves on. In the past, for some games, it has taken a good few minutes to do the check though which is teeth-grindingly irritating. I've never cared enough to go looking for a solution as it'll no doubt be a horrible combination of general Windows installer bullshit and the extra fun Steam sometimes brings to the party.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:32 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It goes through the whole process of checking, downloading and installing every time.

I've seen that I should delete some things to get it to work. I'll give that a go later and see what happens.

It's pretty annoying. I wanted a quick go on Hotline Miami last night but it took at least 5 minutes to get into it I reckon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

So, I keep getting all these cards that mean fuck all to me. Apparently you can combine them to get more "XP" or something like that. This past weekend I got around a dozen cards for doing stuff that I was doing anyway, I did have them all in my inventory doing nothing, but I figured why not sell them.
Currently I have just over £1 in my account after putting them all up for sale this morning, and another couple of quids worth sitting on the market waiting to be sold.

Not a bad return for nothing!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 
UltraMod

I got all ten different Summer Getaway ones, so combined them together to make the badge and got an emoticon and a background image - wowee. Sold the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

You paid around £1.50 for that background and emoticon, I hope they are suitably epic...

From now on I'm just going to put every card I get on the marketplace as soon as I get it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
You paid around £1.50 for that background and emoticon, I hope they are suitably epic...

Depends how much I can sell them for in a few months time, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

SilentElk wrote:
Trooper wrote:

What are they worth at the moment? The individual cards are around 15p each right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:21 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
SilentElk wrote:
Trooper wrote:

What are they worth at the moment? The individual cards are around 15p each right now.

3p each.

I'm playing the long game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

SilentElk wrote:
Trooper wrote:
SilentElk wrote:
Trooper wrote:

3p each.

I'm playing the long game.

:D

Only 4 items left to sell now, they seem to go pretty quickly.

Who are the people buying this shit?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 
UltraMod

I have got a Skyrim background on my Steam profile now though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 15:25 
Excellent Member

One of the people buying them is apparently my husband :shrug:
(not yours specifically obv.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 17:27 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I think people buy them as instead of emotions you can get vouchers for games?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:13 
Excellent Member

I came here to ask about these Steam cards and see there's a bit of chat about them at the tail end of this thread. Is there any more compelling reason to collect them now than there was a year ago? I wouldn't mind swapping them with people if that's something anyone here does? I know it's likely totally pointless but it's a harmless frippery. My Steam id is bryanjrobertson if that's required?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:23 
Paws for thought

i sell them. I've made quite a bit of money by doing so.

Keeping them is pointless. Apart from the ability to leave a mark on your profile saying "I (probably) wasted money to get a stupid badge. Aren't I smart"

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:32 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:

Keeping them is pointless. Apart from the ability to leave a mark on your profile saying "I (probably) wasted money to get a stupid badge. Aren't I smart"

The amounts of money involved are so low I wondered if there was any other reason to keep them; I've only got about fifteen cards altogether and none of them are worth more than 9p.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:56 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

The amounts of money involved are so low I wondered if there was any other reason to keep them; I've only got about fifteen cards altogether and none of them are worth more than 9p.

If you get an unusual game or a new game, they can be worth quite a bit more. Even at 5p each they do add up eventually. Looking through I've made ~8 pounds from them. Which has been enough to get me a free game and discounts on others. (And for whatever reason, booster packs are worth more than the cards you'd get from them...)

About the only reason to keep them is for the large artwork of the badge that you get, as far as I can tell. (Or somehow being sufficiently sentimental that you don't want to sell the sad hugbot card for a pittance. It's gone. Along with al the other tower of guns cards I had sold in my market history. So another reason to sell them before they disappear.)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:31 
Excellent Member

Out of curiosity I tried the new Steam game streaming feature the other day. My specific setup was:

<Host desktop PC>---<homeplug>---<router>---<homeplug>---<shitty laptop>

It worked...okay. I first played DLC Quest which is a very simply 2D platformer and it was plenty playable as you'd expect. There was a little bit of jerkiness noticeable in the scrolling but I was sitting right up at the TV, had I sat further back in a more normal position I doubt I'd have noticed. And the responsiveness of the controls was bang on; I barely noticed any lag at all.

Next was Portal 2 which was quite a different experience as you'd expect. It was still playable and all but the graphics looked a bit odd in an undefinable way and there was some control lag. Overall it wasn't that pleasant an experience and I certainly wouldn't like to have played the full game that way.

Bear in mind though that my network is generally a piece of shit and I just copy stuff around on USB sticks rather than watch files crawl painfully over the network, so there's that. Also the laptop in question is pretty crappy. I've played older stuff like Portal on it before but it can't handle HD Flash/Silverlight streams at all and newer stuff, even 2D stuff like The Cave, is unplayable. So, yeah, your mileage may vary massively depending on those factors.

On the upside it's pretty simple to use. After updating the Steam client on the old laptop and logging on it genuinely did automatically pick up all the games on the desktop and add them to the library for streaming. The only oddity was that Portal 2 had to be started up locally on the desktop and only then could you pick the stream up on the laptop; though Steam did tell me all that when I first tried so it wasn't difficult or anything, just weird that the two games were treated differently.

There have been times when this would've been useful to me in the past, playing Gone Home for example, so I might use it for very specific games and I'd be very curious what other people's experience of it is; but I don't think it's something I'll be using very often. Although, looking at my list of unplayed PC games right now, The Walking Dead might work quite well so I might set it up properly and give it a shot with that at some point soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 14:56 

I gave it a whirl last week streaming from my PC to my MacBook Pro. In this instance, the host PC is a decent-ish gaming PC cabled in to a router, and the MacBook Pro is only 6-months old and connected wirelessly, so both okay machines.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game worked perfectly using a controller, but the mouse sensitivity was way off. Which is weird, because I only play it with keyboard and mouse on the host PC.

Batman: Arkham Asylum was so jerky it was virtually unplayable - yet it runs beautifully on the host PC.

Elite: Dangerous Alpha 1.1 (added manually to Steam) ran absolutely perfectly.

I briefly tried a few other titles too, but don't have much installed on my PC at the moment. I was impressed by what I saw though.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 15:07 
Excellent Member

Zio wrote:

That's interesting, I'd assumed it would only work with native Steam titles and didn't even try it with manually added stuff. Thinking about it though it makes sense as it's just a remote desktop connection of some kind* so there's no reason they couldn't mirror non-Steam stuff, especially when they already embed non-Steam games in the overlay (the thing you get if you hit Ctrl+Tab) if you launch then from the Steam.

*I know this because when I quit out of Portal 2 there was a moment when I got the full desktop of the host PC for a good five seconds before Steam cut the connection.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:55 
Excellent Member

Due to someone mentioning a Steam sale I was over there having a poke around on my account. Out of the nineteen games on my wishlist at the moment sixteen of them are currently on sale. The numbers of emails I've had from Steam telling me about this: big fat fucking zero. Is they're notification functionality equally useless for everyone else or am I getting special treatment here? I think Saturnalian had mentioned having a similar experience at some point recently?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 21:23 
Paws for thought

It certainly notifies me. Whether it notifies me about everything I can't say.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:21 

Bamba wrote:
Zio wrote:

That's interesting, I'd assumed it would only work with native Steam titles and didn't even try it with manually added stuff. Thinking about it though it makes sense as it's just a remote desktop connection of some kind* so there's no reason they couldn't mirror non-Steam stuff, especially when they already embed non-Steam games in the overlay (the thing you get if you hit Ctrl+Tab) if you launch then from the Steam.

*I know this because when I quit out of Portal 2 there was a moment when I got the full desktop of the host PC for a good five seconds before Steam cut the connection.

I didn't see this at the time, but I read on another forum that someone had managed to add Windows Explorer to their Steam library, and streaming that did indeed give them effectively an RDP connection to their desktop.

Also, no idea why I said I had problems with Arkham Asylum when it was actually Arkham Origins I was playing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:29 
Excellent Member

Zio wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Zio wrote:

I didn't see this at the time, but I read on another forum that someone had managed to add Windows Explorer to their Steam library, and streaming that did indeed give them effectively an RDP connection to their desktop.

Also, no idea why I said I had problems with Arkham Asylum when it was actually Arkham Origins I was playing.

Presumably they'd just add it by the normal method you add non-Steam stuff to Steam. Steam's got no way of telling what's a game and what isn't so it pretty much just shows you all the exe's on your PC and lets you add them. And when you actually execute something it's not like it's going to know that you're using Explorer rather than just playing the most boring game on the planet so it makes sense it would work. I suppose it might filter the stuff you can add by excluding certain directories (i.e. the Windows folder) but you could probably work round that by stick a shortcut or full copy of the exe into Program Files or where ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 20:32 

Couldn't think of anywhere else to post this, but I guess it kinda fits into this topic. - Is there any way to speed up the download speed of Steam and Origin (mainly origin)?
I get about 1mb/s on Steam, and 300kb/s on Origin, yet when I'm downloading other things from other sources I often get up to 2mb/s.
Any ideas on how to speed it up a little?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 22:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I can get 12mb from Steam, so I don't think it's their fault.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 23:29 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I think it depends on the game. I used to be able to download most games really fast, but Company of Heroes would crawl down at 50k/s or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 23:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Contention, maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 0:21 

I managed to increase origin to about 1mb/s using something I found online.
(Puts Origin into "R&D Mode", so you're probably not really meant to - but, meh.)
I'm going to assume my internet is just rubbish and thats why Steam or Origin can't get above about 1mb/s.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 0:48 
Excellent Member

Pod wrote:
I think it depends on the game. I used to be able to download most games really fast, but Company of Heroes would crawl down at 50k/s or something.

I don't believe that's true; Steam's a distribution platform (amongst other things of course), its not like each game is being downloaded from its developer's own website or anything. There are likely to be regionalised servers for download, and temporary issues that affect download speeds across the board on these servers, but the idea of download speeds being specific to individual games seems incredibly unlikely.

Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next