Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: What the fuck is this shit?
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 18:01 
Chinny chin chin

Frank Sidebottom Kickstarter is now just a couple of grand short of hitting the 40k streach goal that will enable them to buy in all the required archive TV footage. But only 30 hours to run!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/126673955/being-frank-the-chris-sievey-story

Post subject: Re: What the fuck is this shit?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 13:45 
Chinny chin chin

Giant Inflaitable Lionel Ritchie Head -http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daveglass/lionel-richies-head-bestival-2013

Post subject: Re: Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 17:29 

Hello!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 22:54 
Ready for action

Oh I want this. I might try and get my mum to buy it for my dad so I can admire it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 
Chinny chin chin

The Spectrum Bluetooth keyboard is funded just as allegations of royalty irregularities surface:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46365

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:44 
UltraMod

sdg wrote:
Oh I want this. I might try and get my mum to buy it for my dad so I can admire it.

Wow, really nice. I love the all black one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 22:12 
Excellent Member

Lot of complaints about the Ouya and that was one of the biggest funding's on there

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ou ... e/comments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 22:13 
Ready for action

British Nervoso wrote:
sdg wrote:

Are you dropping hints for me since it's Valentines day coming up?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 22:19 
Paws for thought

asfish wrote:
Lot of complaints about the Ouya and that was one of the biggest funding's on there

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ou ... e/comments

I still look on confused by the whole ouya thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 0:22 
UltraMod

sdg wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
sdg wrote:

Are you dropping hints for me since it's Valentines day coming up?

:kiss:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:10 
Chinny chin chin

Another dev has posted this morning saying Elite have never paid him taking the total on that WoS thread alone to 4.

Whole thing stinks to high. The company accounts are also interesting.

https://www.duedil.com/company/01840901/elite-systems-limited

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 23:11 
Chinny chin chin

The story has developed throughout the day with more people coming out of the woodwork including Odin who also say they have never received a payment.

If any of you have pledged on it, please consider withdrawing your pledge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:37 
Isn't that lovely?

I can't read that, what is the kickstarter?

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:30 
Chinny chin chin

Malc wrote:
I can't read that, what is the kickstarter?

Malc

The Kickstarter is this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952953995/bluetooth-zx-spectrum-recreating-the-sinclair-zx-s

Concerns had already been raised to the deaf ears of backers that since iOS can't read key up events the keyboard would be useless for gaming. But now it's come out that at least 6 developers who Elite have licensed games from have never been paid in over 3 years. Other people claim games are being sold for which there is no permission.

Meanwhile Steve Wetherill of Odin has issued a statement:

http://stevewetherill.com/2014/01/30/public-statement-on-elite-bluetooth-spectrum-kickstarter/

It all stinks right from the fact there's no guarantee it will work properly through to there being a queue of people Elite owe money to.

There's now less than 12 hours for people to get their money out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:02 
Chinny chin chin

and more:

http://www.merseyremakes.co.uk/gibber/2014/01/the-elite-bluetooth-keyboard-breaking-down-the-problems/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:39 
Paws for thought

Heres the thing I don't get: the 48K keyboard was shite, due to being low cost. Why now spend huge amounts of money for a not overly aithentic crap keyboard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Retro cool, innit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:44 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Retro cool, innit.

Like your mum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 13:02 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
Retro cool, innit.

Reading the comments of some the backers, I'm not sure some of them actually understand what they are backing anyway. Perhaps its language difficulties but some of them appear to think they are backing a whole new Spectrum rather than a device that will probably only work with Elite's own emulators (both of which I have and neither of which I am a fan of).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 13:32 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Retro cool, innit.

Feex.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 14:01 
Chinny chin chin

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Retro cool, innit.

Feex.

Which is stupid because 1) the rubber keyboard was always shit and 2) you could buy a broken Spectrum on Ebay and nail it to your wall for far less than one of those devices.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:18 
Chinny chin chin

This custom controller Kickstarter went well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

Never turned up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:26 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Reading the comments of some the backers, I'm not sure some of them actually understand what they are backing anyway. Perhaps its language difficulties but some of them appear to think they are backing a whole new Spectrum rather than a device that will probably only work with Elite's own emulators (both of which I have and neither of which I am a fan of).

It is a bit confusing I think. They do specifically mention a couple of times that it's a Bluetooth keyboard, but they spend a lot more time talking about the "recreated Sinclair ZX Spectrum" or, more often, simply the "Bluetooth ZX Spectrum" which implies the device has the functionality of an actual ZX Spectrum when obviously it doesn't. I'm not excusing anyone who throws money at the internet without thoroughly checking what they're buying first, but if it was me I'd have used the word 'keyboard' every time I said 'ZX Spectrum' just so no one was in any doubt what I was selling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:41 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

chinnyhill10 wrote:
This custom controller Kickstarter went well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

Never turned up.

Which is weird because its basically the bottom control panel of the Pandora (so already built and designed) and I did have the V1 of it at some point in the past so they knew how to make it all - i assume just really badly run (and given I put down cash for a Pandora from them which took years to arrive that would not really surprise me)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:42 
Chinny chin chin

Bamba wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

It is a bit confusing I think. They do specifically mention a couple of times that it's a Bluetooth keyboard, but they spend a lot more time talking about the "recreated Sinclair ZX Spectrum" or, more often, simply the "Bluetooth ZX Spectrum" which implies the device has the functionality of an actual ZX Spectrum when obviously it doesn't. I'm not excusing anyone who throws money at the internet without thoroughly checking what they're buying first, but if it was me I'd have used the word 'keyboard' every time I said 'ZX Spectrum' just so no one was in any doubt what I was selling.

Everything on there is as muddy as hell. They fudge absolutely everything so it's vague and open to misinterpretation.

They even name drop people in such a way that if you don't read carefully you'd think they might be involved.

Sadly my understanding is that once it is funded, that is is. Even though there is time to go.

If the devs had flagged it all earlier, there would have been a much better chance of stopping it going through. But sadly they've got away with it despite the best actions of us meddling kids.

Will it ever turn up? Dunno. Will it ever work as people seem to hope it might? Dunno. Will the developers ever get their cash? Dunno.

Best things the devs could do is take legal action to pull their games so that Elite have nothing to sell other than an emulator and a box full of shattered dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why don't they all band together and take the baddies to court?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:49 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
Why don't they all band together and take the baddies to court?

They've only just started talking to each other in the last few days. The catalyst was that first post on the WoS thread.

As I say, if this had happened this time last week.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:04 
Chinny chin chin

Backer claims Elite are sending updates asking for more cash due to people pulling out due to "hard times":

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1586115706/comments

Meanwhile the statement on the situation that Elite promised at lunchtime has failed to materialise so far. What's the reckoning it pops up with just enough time to reassure people wavering but not long enough for people to respond to whatever it says?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:09 
8-Bit Champion

chinnyhill10 wrote:
What's the reckoning it pops up with just enough time to reassure people wavering but not long enough for people to respond to whatever it says?

Claim its a misunderstanding and that they had all the cheques just waiting but were out of stamps or similar and make that statement at 21:00 tonight (since the whole kickstarter finishes at 22:00)

I also do not expect the actual keyboard will ever come out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:16 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
What's the reckoning it pops up with just enough time to reassure people wavering but not long enough for people to respond to whatever it says?

Claim its a misunderstanding and that they had all the cheques just waiting but were out of stamps or similar and make that statement at 21:00 tonight (since the whole kickstarter finishes at 22:00)

I also do not expect the actual keyboard will ever come out.

Indeed. All it's going to take is a couple of creditors to come a knocking, that 60 grand will get a big dent in it and that will be it. After all the nice people in China who will be making the tooling (the expensive bit) will be wanting cash up front.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:37 
Chinny chin chin

Well myself and others badgering The Register worked then:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/31/80s_zx_spectrum_game_developers_allege_unpaid_royalties_from_elite_systems_ltd/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 19:42 
Chinny chin chin

I love this quote from one backer:

Quote:
The world of my modern IT life would be a good bit happier if I'm typing up Powershell scripts on a ZX Spectrum keyboard

Clearly written by someone who never actually used one. For gaming they were just about tolerable, for actual typing or coding they were possibly one of the worst keyboards ever made and will seem even worse in the context of modern keyboards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 21:50 
Chinny chin chin

All afternoon and all Elite can come up is with this posted in the comments, NOT as a project update:

Quote:
The project is now funded. This could not have been achieved without the fantastic support of the appeal’s backers. We will move heaven and earth to deliver the device which each of you want in September. Thank you all so, so much. Steve Wilcox, Elite. At the time of writing, 8.00pm on Friday 31st January, 2014, some 330 comments have been posted on the forum of the Kickstarter appeal for the Bluetooth ZX Spectrum. Those comments have been posted by genuine and enthusiastic backers of the appeal. We thank each one of you for those. Some of those comments have been posted by ZX Spectrum game developers, with whom Elite has contractual relationships. We wish to assure all of the appeal’s backers, including the game developers that have posted, that having been in business for 30 years we take our contractual relationships most seriously. We urge the game developers to set out any issues which they wish to be addressed in writing and send them to us directly, using the email address below. We will then investigate and respond in writing and in detail and if able to do so will place our response in the public domain. Email: [email protected]

Fucking snake. >:( >:( >:(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 22:08 
8-Bit Champion

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Fucking snake. >:( >:( >:(

Well i was nearly right about the time :-)

They have also added a line

Quote:
Update: For the avoidance of doubt, any and all game developers with whom Elite has a contractual relationship will be paid.

So where is the money coming from to pay these guys ?

I assume given their assets information posted before that it will be coming out of the 60,000 they are getting from Kickstarter (or is that 54 since kickstarter themselves take 10% dont they?)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 22:18 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:

I assume given their assets information posted before that it will be coming out of the 60,000 they are getting from Kickstarter (or is that 54 since kickstarter themselves take 10% dont they?)

To be absolutely fair, the company info is only the last filed set of accounts. It's well over a year old from memory. So things could have changed.

But yes give the amounts being mentioned it looks like the money would come out of the Kickstarter fund.

Although in my experience he'll speak to them, try to reassure/stall them and promise jam tomorrow.

Done it, been there, got the T-Shirt and a useless CCJ........

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 23:11 
Chinny chin chin

It's been funded to the tune of 63 grand.

If it's any consolation it probably would have been 70 grand+ if it wasn't for some pesky meddling kids.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 20:38 
Participant in dramatic games

I backed this one. Seems cool.. Quite impulse buy but cool https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/39 ... r-airplane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:23 
Isn't that lovely?

Got this email last night:

Quote:
On Wednesday night, law enforcement officials contacted Kickstarter and alerted us
that hackers had sought and gained unauthorized access to some of our customers'
data. Upon learning this, we immediately closed the security breach and began
strengthening security measures throughout the Kickstarter system.

No credit card data of any kind was accessed by
hackers. There is no evidence of unauthorized
activity of any kind on your account.

While no credit card data was accessed, some
information about our customers was. Accessed
information included usernames, email addresses,
mailing addresses, phone numbers, and encrypted
passwords. Actual passwords were not revealed,
however it is possible for a malicious person with
enough computing power to guess and crack an
encrypted password, particularly a weak or obvious
one.

As a precaution, we strongly recommend that you
change the password of your Kickstarter account,
and other accounts where you use this password.

To change your password, log in to your account at
Kickstarter.com and look for the banner at the top
of the page to create a new, secure password. We
recommend you do the same on other sites where you
use this password. For additional help with
password security, we recommend tools like
1Password and LastPass.

We’re incredibly sorry that this happened. We set
a very high bar for how we serve our community,
and this incident is frustrating and upsetting. We
have since improved our security procedures and
systems in numerous ways, and we will continue to
do so in the weeks and months to come. We are
working closely with law enforcement, and we are
doing everything in our power to prevent this from
happening again.

Kickstarter is a vibrant community like no other,
and we can’t thank you enough for being a part of
it. Please let us know if you have any questions,
comments, or concerns. You can reach us at
[email protected].

Thank you,

Yancey Strickler
Kickstarter CEO

I have changed my password

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:26 
8-Bit Champion

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/02/1 ... 3320140216

Quote:
Crowdfunding website Kickstarter hacked, recommends users change passwords

(Reuters) - Kickstarter, the fundraising platform used by millions of people to raise capital for creative projects and businesses, said on Saturday that hackers had gained access to some of its customers' data earlier this week but that the breach had been repaired.

"No credit card data of any kind was accessed by hackers. There is no evidence of unauthorized activity of any kind on all but two Kickstarter user accounts," Kickstarter Chief Executive Officer Yancey Strickler said in a blog post on the website. It noted that it does not store credit card data.

Recent data breaches at Target Corp and Neiman Marcus have sparked concern from U.S. lawmakers and consumers over who should bear the cost of consumer losses and how to improve cybersecurity.

Kickstarter's information that was accessed without authority included user names, email addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers and encrypted passwords, said Kickstarter, which was informed of the breach by law enforcement officials on Wednesday night.

It added that while passwords were not revealed, persons with computer expertise could still decipher encrypted passwords, and recommended users change their passwords as well as those for other sites or accounts for which the users had the same password.

Kickstarter said it had beefed up security in recent days. It also said it was working with law enforcement officials.

Kickstarter launched in 2009 as a conduit for funding of projects ranging from films and stage shows to video games and restaurant launches. Contributors to a project's launch are often compensated with rewards, discounts, credits or other offers from the projects they help fund.

Since its launch more than 100,000 projects have been funded, with hundreds of millions of dollars pledged.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:33 

Oh FFS.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:33 
8-Bit Champion

Harmonix are kickstarting a follow up to Amplitude (on PS4 / PS3)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/ ... #sf2822991

Quote:
Amplitude on PS4 and PS3: Help Make it Happen

Ryan Lesser here, Art Director at Harmonix, and I have some awesome news that I wanted to share with PlayStation fans. We are launching a Kickstarter to fund a new version of our DualShock-controlled rhythm-action PlayStation 2 classic, Amplitude, for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, and we need your support!

Thirteen years ago, Harmonix created our first music game – FreQuency for PS2. It wasn’t a commercial hit at the time, but fans and critics loved it. Even so, we knew we could do better. We polished, tweaked, and tightened the experience, and in 2003, we released Frequency’s sequel, Amplitude. I was the Art Director and part of the “design cabal” for the original title, and I’m excited to be the Creative Lead for this updated version of Amplitude!

If you missed the original release, Amplitude is a fast-paced rollercoaster ride through an all-digital landscape, where musical notes have been “silenced” by encapsulating gems. By destroying the gems with their ship, the Beat Blaster, players release the music within. Each track on this crazy ride represents a specific instrument, so gems can activate sounds including guitar riffs, bass lines, drum beats, vocal lines and more. Players blast through each song section, building the music, darting from track to track, and locking that soundscape together before transitioning to the next musical area.

Amplitude has a fast, arcade-like pace. Players scurry around to blast notes, grab power-ups, and capture successive musical phrases, and can skyrocket their score by never missing a note and streaking for multipliers. Finding the optimal line through the level is the key to mastering the gem patterns and topping the leaderboards. When the game first came out, we watched players spend hours lost “in the zone,” perfecting their playthroughs!

We love this game, and PlayStation fans have asked us for years to revive the franchise. We think that in a post-Rock Band world, a new Amplitude will really blow people away. It smashes together familiar beatmatch mechanics with fast-paced navigation, tactical terrain choices, and an intensity that is totally addictive. With the inclusion of four-player local multiplayer, online leaderboards, and other great improvements, we think we can build something really special for the new generation of PlayStation consoles.

Please check out the Kickstarter project for more information on how we plan on updating Amplitude for PS3 and PS4, and how you can help. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:12 
Goth

Amplitude was rubbish in comparison to Frequency. Everything from song selection to the way it played. I WANT FREQUENCY 2. Also why not just tell people it's basically Rock Band but with a controller rather than all that bollocks about notes needing silencing?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:15 
Goth

Also as has been pointed out elsewhere by the likes of LewieP, surely sony can afford a chance on this having made billions last year.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:24 
Excellent Member

Derek The Halls wrote:
Also as has been pointed out elsewhere by the likes of LewieP, surely sony can afford a chance on this having made billions last year.

What's Sony got to do with it? They don't own the studio or the IP as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
What's Sony got to do with it?

They have a lot of second-hand emotion engines.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:36 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

:applause:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

That's the greatest thing that's ever been written anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:51 
SavyGamer

Bamba wrote:
Derek The Halls wrote:

What's Sony got to do with it? They don't own the studio or the IP as far as I can tell.

Sony do own the IP. That is why it is a Playstation exclusive.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:03 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Derek The Halls wrote:

Sony do own the IP. That is why it is a Playstation exclusive.

Aye, it seems you're right. I couldn't find any evidence of that initially and it just looked like Sony published the original but this article spells it out.

Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next