Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oculus Rift
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 14:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
No one's going to buy these, people just don't like wearing silly shit on their heads.

Ask 3D telly.

Yeah, they haven't sold any 3D tellys. And nobody goes to see films in 3D either. :roll:

My telly does 3D, and I couldn't give a shit - much like most (sensible) people who also own a 3D TV, I expect.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 14:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:
No one's going to buy these, people just don't like wearing silly shit on their heads.

Ask 3D telly.

Yeah, they haven't sold any 3D tellys. And nobody goes to see films in 3D either. :roll:

My telly does 3D, and I couldn't give a shit - much like most (sensible) people who also own a 3D TV, I expect.

:this:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 14:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
I think there is a huge difference between TV watching, which is just as much social activity and entirely passive, to actively playing a single player game, which is what the Oculus is all about.

Well I can't imagine anyone clamping an Oculus Rift to their head if there's anyone else in the house with them because it's so stunningly anti-social, and anyone with children is probably a non-starter too.

You're probably going to have a percentage of people who feel motion-sickness or get a headache too, or just can't 'see it' like with 3D. (I couldn't see the 3D effect on the 3DS for eample, I could just about get it focused for a short period of time then it made my head hurt and it went, something to do with defective stereoscopic vision or something.)

The actual market for the thing is very small IMO.

Motion sickness, sure. I think that will affect a lot of people. If you have binocular vision though, then you will be able to see it, its a true independent image to each eye, not the pseudo 3D of the 3DS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 14:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

Ask 3D telly.

:this:

Also :this: I've used it 3 times. Once to watch Captain America, once to watch tennis and once to play Super Stardust on the PS3.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 14:45 
Excellent Member

Well I can't imagine anyone clamping an Oculus Rift to their head if there's anyone else in the house with them because it's so stunningly anti-social, and anyone with children is probably a non-starter too.

Anti-social? So when you're playing Borderlands the whole family gathers round to watch you yeah? Don't be a tit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 16:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:

Anti-social? So when you're playing Borderlands the whole family gathers round to watch you yeah? Don't be a tit.

You honestly can't see a difference?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 17:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

When I play my Virtual Boy, people come from miles around to watch me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 20:16 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

You honestly can't see a difference?

Between sitting in a room on your own playing a game no one else in your house is interested in while (a) looking at a monitor or (b) wearing a head piece? Well, no; what is the difference exactly?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 22:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Between sitting in a room on your own playing a game no one else in your house is interested in while (a) looking at a monitor or (b) wearing a head piece? Well, no; what is the difference exactly?

You're really arguing about the lack of difference between sitting in a chair in front of a computer which comes with a 100% ability to immediately pause/talk/look/interact/react/etc to anything that's going on around you, to wearing a fucking mainframe on your head?

It's not a question of 'No one else in the house is interested in Borderlands 2' (which isn't even entirely true because I'll do 'non-violent' stuff whilst AE Jnr is around, she knows her way around Sanctuary pretty well and all the characters and suchlike), it's a question of 'When I've got a computer wired into my brain and attached to my head I effectively become unavailable to my wife and child whatever may be going on in their world.'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 23:05 

I sometimes play games upstairs on the PC with headphones on. It's pretty much the same as that. Sometimes I go out running, or play golf I'm even more isolated from the family then.

It'll all come down to how compelling the experience is. I reckon that once the technology matures it'll be very compelling and your confident predictions of how it'll never take off will look about as insightful as someone going on about how the new fangled "talkies" are just a novelty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 23:14 
Paws for thought

Or those of us who couldn't see the point in an iPad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:56 
Can you dig it?

I look forward to creeping up on people that are totally immersed in this and making them jump.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I look forward to creeping up on people that are totally immersed in this and making them jump.

Especially if they're playing a horror game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 
Unpossible!

Heh. Imagine that: Rifted up, big stereo headphones, heart rate up, totally immersed when suddenly... a lick to the back of the neck :)

Has anyone tried that Virtual Haircut with the binaural recording? Imagine that level of audio combined with an Oculus Rift! I reckon I'd shit my pants.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 
Unpossible!

For those that haven't had the pleasure... (use headphones)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:

You're really arguing about the lack of difference between sitting in a chair in front of a computer which comes with a 100% ability to immediately pause/talk/look/interact/react/etc to anything that's going on around you, to wearing a fucking mainframe on your head?

It's not a question of 'No one else in the house is interested in Borderlands 2' (which isn't even entirely true because I'll do 'non-violent' stuff whilst AE Jnr is around, she knows her way around Sanctuary pretty well and all the characters and suchlike), it's a question of 'When I've got a computer wired into my brain and attached to my head I effectively become unavailable to my wife and child whatever may be going on in their world.'

"Wearing a mainframe"? "Having a computer wired into your brain"? Dude, this isn't the fucking Lawnmower Man you're reenacting here; you're being somewhat hysterical there. As others have said its not going to be massively different from being particularly engaged in a game while wearing headphones. And I'm not arguing there won't be times when you wouldn't want to use it but the idea that there's never a time when you're gaming purely solo and could indulge isn't true.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:20 

Bamba wrote:
Bamba wrote:

"Wearing a mainframe"? "Having a computer wired into your brain"? Dude, this isn't the fucking Lawnmower Man you're reenacting here; you're being somewhat hysterical there. As others have said its not going to be massively different from being particularly engaged in a game while wearing headphones. And I'm not arguing there won't be times when you wouldn't want to use it but the idea that there's never a time when you're gaming purely solo and could indulge isn't true.

I agree with Bamba here. It probably won't ever be a mainstream device, but if it gets to the point where it just works, there will be a market. Even the prototype units don't look that unwieldy, and it can only improve. They seem intent on getting there, and I think they will.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:23 
Unpossible!

I'd have one today if I could justify the expense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:34 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:

A haircut? I suppose it's a larger than normal area to deal with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:53 

British Nervoso wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

A haircut? I suppose it's a larger than normal area to deal with.

*applause*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 22:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Played a bit more of Asseto Corsa tonight, and managed a few laps without getting nauseous this time!
This does actually feel like something that will possibly give me faster times, it's actually quite a bit easier to spot the apex and work out when you should be braking and stuff like that. This shows promise for sim driving for the final kit...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 15:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Well, that was quick.

I figured I would put it back up on ebay for a high price while I was mucking around with it (£320 fact fans). It only went and sold today! :D

So if anyone does want to play around with one, the market is pretty healthy it seems, total cost to me to have one for a few weeks was about £20 after ebay fees and postage costs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 15:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
Invite me over when you get one ;)
Trooper wrote:
Will do
:'(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 15:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

:D I didn't actually expect it to sell so quickly!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 16:21 

Ooh.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... gdc-report

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 18:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.oculusvr.com/dk2/

ghnnnnnn... must resist....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 23:05 
Sleepyhead

Holy shit!

Facebook are buying Oculus for TWO BILLION DOLLARS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 23:12 

That's interesting. I wonder how they think that will fit in with their empire. Seems a massive departure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 23:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hmmm... Is this the end of the Oculus as we know it? What did the kick starter backers at the start actually back?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What the fuck?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:10 
UltraMod

Good for all the Kickstarter backers who are suddenly rich, right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

British Nervoso wrote:

It'd be amazing publicity if they chipped them a grand each, and they could certainly afford it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:59 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

It'd be amazing publicity if they chipped them a grand each, and they could certainly afford it.

A grand? It would still be laughable. If they were proper investors then they'd all be rich now. Kickstarter is a complete scam.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I just read on Twitter:-

"What do the Kickstarter backers of Oculus Rift get?

A lesson in capitalism"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

:D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:20 

I don't get it. Why won't they just get whatever they were buying when they backed it? If they wanted to buy shares in something then they should have bought shares in something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:23 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
I don't get it. Why won't they just get whatever they were buying when they backed it? If they wanted to buy shares in something then they should have bought shares in something.

The problem is now if Facebook decide they want to go in a different direction with it. If they decide gaming is not the way to go and they want to use it for virtual meetings etc, what are the (primarily gaming-orientated) backers going to end up with? Also, if it's anything like Facebook they'll fill it full of ads and scrape all your personal data to sell on. It doesn't sound like something the core gaming community would want.

Persson from Mojang has already said he's cancelled the Oculus Rift version of Minecraft because of this news. Good on him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

He's cancelled the OR version of Mincraft? That seems a bit knee-jerky (and a lot dickish).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
He's cancelled the OR version of Mincraft? That seems a bit knee-jerky (and a lot dickish).

Yep.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... -oculus-vr

Quote:
"I definitely want to be a part of VR, but I will not work with Facebook," the Minecraft creator said. "Their motives are too unclear and shifting, and they haven't historically been a stable platform. There's nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me."

He further added, "I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."

"I have the greatest respect for the talented engineers and developers at Oculus. It's been a long time since I met a more dedicated and talented group of people. I understand this is purely a business deal, and I'd like to congratulate both Facebook and the Oculus owners. But this is where we part ways."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If I was Zuckerburg I'd be finding out how many zeroes his principles were worth right about now :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:33 

The thing that confuses me is what have Oculus Rift actually got? Sony are working on a similar product and surely once the principles are established they'll just be another type of display that presumably all the usual companies who make that sort of thing will produce a version of.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:35 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
If I was Zuckerburg I'd be finding out how many zeroes his principles were worth right about now :)

He's already said he's got far more money than he knows what to do with. It doesn't appear to wholly motivate him. Otherwise why would he come out and say it before talking to Facebook about it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Reading up about Facebook's plans, they do seem to have some good ideas.

markg wrote:
The thing that confuses me is is what have Oculus Rift actually got? Sony are working on a similar product and surely once the principles are established they'll just be another type of display that presumably all the usual companies who make that sort of thing will produce a version of.

There's a lot of value in being the first to do something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:38 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
There's a lot of value in being the first to announce something.

Fixed. Sony have been working on theirs since 2011.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 

And the concept is even older than that. It's just a refinement and Sony will probably get to market with their version before them anyway. And Sony have the games to go along with it as well as a piece of hardware already present under loads of tellies to run them. Oculus Rift still needs a gaming PC, it's a bit niche. I'm certain that Facebook know a lot more about it all than I do but I just don't get where that valuation comes from.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
And the concept is even older than that. It's just a refinement and Sony will probably get to market with their version before them anyway. And Sony have the games to go along with it as well as a piece of hardware already present under loads of tellies to run them. Oculus Rift still needs a gaming PC, it's a bit niche. I'm certain that Facebook know a lot more about it all than I do but I just don't get where that valuation comes from.

It's a world where WhatsApp is worth 8 times that.

This was in the FT today (behind paywall):

Quote:
When you know that your own business model is doomed and your share price is only high because other people don't yet realise how bad it is, you should splash about using your shares to buy a load of promising businesses in the hope that you get lucky and actually end up owning something that will become what you were supposed to be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:47 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
I'm certain that Facebook know a lot more about it all than I do but I just don't get where that valuation comes from.

Because it's unlikely to be gaming applications they're looking at. Virtual meetings and such malarkey have been touted which opens it up to a whole new audience; and a whole new set of people who might give them money for it.

Which is fine in itself and it's not a bad thing to see the tech used in different ways but I certainly share the fears of people who worry Facebook will focus on those uses to the exclusion of the gaming aspirations that actually got the thing off the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:54 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

British Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:

He's already said he's got far more money than he knows what to do with. It doesn't appear to wholly motivate him. Otherwise why would he come out and say it before talking to Facebook about it?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/20/553104 ... ubled-2013

Quote:
Minecraft developer Mojang's profits more than doubled in 2013

Mojang, the developer of Minecraft, saw its profits more than double in 2013, when the studio earned 816 million Swedish kronor ($128 million), The Wall Street Journal reports.

Revenue was up 38 percent to 2.07 billion kronor ($322.4 million) last year, according to figures provided to the Journal. As the publication points out, the Swedish studio of fewer than 40 employees crossed this milestone with a game first released in 2009 and which eschews the free-to-play model.

The financial results are the latest in a series of ongoing milestones for the blocky sandbox game across several platforms. Earlier this year, Markus "Notch" Persson announced that Minecraft's original PC version had reached 100 million registered users, 14.3 precent of which converted to paid accounts. In February, Notch revealed that Minecraft sold more than 14 million units on PC since its release. Released in May 2013, the game's Xbox 360 incarnation surpassed 11 million sales as of February 2014. Sales figures as of January 2014 put Minecraft's PlayStation 3 version sales at more than 1 million units since its December 2013 release.

Minecraft is also available for Android and iOS and is headed to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PlayStation Vita. A Minecraft movie is in development at Warner Bros.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:10 

Bamba wrote:
markg wrote:
I'm certain that Facebook know a lot more about it all than I do but I just don't get where that valuation comes from.

Because it's unlikely to be gaming applications they're looking at. Virtual meetings and such malarkey have been touted which opens it up to a whole new audience; and a whole new set of people who might give them money for it.

I'd be amazed if it is commonplace for people to be having 3D virtual meetings within ten years. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it sounds like a massive load of bollocks. The somewhat rather fundamental stumbling block there is that you wouldn't actually be able to see the faces of the people you are meeting with since they would be obscured by the VR headset strapped to their bonce. Games are the only thing that will really drive it anything else will be a spin off. If Zuckerberg says anything about VR meetings and other such bullshit then I reckon it's probably just to quell uncertainty among his investors about a risky venture into an entirely new area.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A Minecraft movie?

Reply to topic  [ 1105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next