Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bioshock Infinite announced
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 15:06 

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
It's not just me who thinks so but Ian and Mr Candles as well and plenty of other commentators out there.

Just because no-can be bothered to argue with you does not mean everyone agrees with you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 16:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's not just me who thinks so but Ian and Mr Candles as well and plenty of other commentators out there.

Just because no-can be bothered to argue with you does not mean everyone agrees with you.

Yes I do understand that, thank you very much. Clearly these are all just opinions, although actual broken stuff like NO SAVE GAMES and combat mechanics that you can entirely render redundant with a certain 'build' are clearly things that are just flat out fucked.

I'd like to see anyone convincingly argue that Booker and Elizabeth are interesting characters, too.

Trousers has been cussing me up on email about this too hence my immediate cunt-calling since he's decided to GO FORUMSIDE with it as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 16:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
But just because something has some bits that are broken it doesn't mean that people can't enjoy it.

Like your mum.

How did you know my mum had broken her ankle?

The public deserve to know the truth.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Has anyone played the Rapture DLC for this yet?

It reviewed 'OK' at Eurogamer (7/10) and I bought the Season Pass so all I have to do is reinstall the game and it'll be there for me, but the main game was so 'meh' that I'm finding it hard to gather up the motivation, even though it goes back to Rapture.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... one-review

I suppose I should at least take a look, I've already fucking paid for it after all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 19:33 
Hello Hello Hello

This is down to £6.24 for the next two days on Steam.

Probably about what it's worth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 22:59 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 23:01 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 20:33 
Excellent Member

The only appealing thing about this game has got to be the pretty girl that's always everywhere in reviews and like. Surely she was inspired by liz taylor, no?

:luv:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 23:41 
Hello Hello Hello

Having found myself at a bit of a gaming loose end I'm going to reinstall this and do the Rapture DLC, (since I paid for the season pass), although at the same time I'm not holding out a massive amount of hope of it being super-duper.

Thirty bastard gigabytes though, so I'll leave that going overnight, and there isn't that much room on my SSD so I'll have to farm it off to my hard drive instead which will fuck the loading times.

Not exactly a shining endorsement of a game when you reinstall it to play the DLC because you literally can't think of anything else you'd rather play at the moment.....

Attachment:
arsesbio.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 23:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Thirty fucking gig?!

I wonder if that's because they got lazy or because the [INSERT NAME FOR "THINGS" THAT COMPUTERS NEED HERE WHICH I WANT TO CALL "resources" BUT I KNOW THAT's NOT RIGHT ALSO I HAVE "manifests" IN MY HEAD WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ABOUT] really are that size.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:08 
UltraMod

Assets?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

British Nervoso wrote:
Assets?

Yes!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 
Hello Hello Hello

IIRC it did have a pretty good high-res texture pack, I'll see if anything jogs my memory when I play it again. It's all installed and ready to go and has synced back up the cloud, so I'll fire it up when there's literally nothing else in the world that I fancy doing.

Right now, for example, I'm going to make another cup of tea and have a shit whilst reading Custom PC, which is approximately 375% more appealing than playing Bioshock Infinite.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:43 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Assets?

Yes!

:metul:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 15:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Bloody hell it's not very good.

Back in Rapture, woohoo! Get funnelled down a very small sub-section of it (most of which is 'closed for maintenance' or has a doorman standing there who won't let you past), listening to uninteresting monologues from the residents and dreary chat between Booker and Elizabeth, not so woohoo!

There is a 'mission' of sorts which requires you to get a mask from one of three shops in the area, and in each shop you have to talk to the shopkeeper and ask him to talk to Lizzy, then Lizzy distracts him with some inane chatter whilst you rummage around in the back of the shop looking for the mask.

In one of them Booker said 'Where has he hidden that goddamn box'? And you literally just walk around ONE CORNER and it's there on a table in front of you.

Then you get to see crazy old Sander Cohen, woohoo! For about three minutes, not so woohoo!

And then you're dumped into a prison with fuck all in the way of decent weaponry or plasmids or gear, and the grindy shitty Bioshock combat takes over and I got bored quite quickly.

I'll plod through it, but really, not impressed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 16:02 
Paws for thought

I think the moral of the story is don't buy season passes.

Esp. if you don't know if you like the game you are buying it for.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 16:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Dave wrote:

Esp. if you don't know if you like the game you are buying it for.

I honestly didn't think it was possible to fuck Bioshock up.

Maybe that's overly harsh, it's not a bad game, but next to towering majesty of Bioshock it's dreadfully underwhelming. (Bioshock Infinite the main game that is.)

The DLC on the other hand really is quite poor, I'm in Rapture (well, the Fontaine section which Ryan has turned into a prison) and whilst I know I'm in Rapture, Booker and Lizzy just don't feel like they belong there at all and as such there's a massive disjoint between the characters and the location.

Plus the combat is awful, too many splicers at once turn it into a CoD style shooting gallery, I much preferred the smaller number of far more dangerous enemies as per the original.

EDIT - Oh yes and still no saves, natch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 16:43 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:

Absolutely this. Anyone who buys one should get the internet equivalent of a bop on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. Season Passes are a terrible idea and encouraging publishers to carry on with them is silly. Even if you're utterly convinced an entire game and it's full catalogue of DLC will be amazing just wait and see. How much money are you really saving, balanced against the risk of sending this terrible message to the publishers that's it's an acceptable business practise?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 16:55 

Some people are so into CoD or whatever that they just know they are going to end up buying all the DLC, and frankly for the hours they get out of it, it's a cheap deal. So if it's even cheaper that way then they'll obviously buy a season pass. Telling them they should spend extra money because by doing so they are going to be shaping the future of the games industry is a bit ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 17:03 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Absolutely this. Anyone who buys one should get the internet equivalent of a bop on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. Season Passes are a terrible idea and encouraging publishers to carry on with them is silly. Even if you're utterly convinced an entire game and it's full catalogue of DLC will be amazing just wait and see. How much money are you really saving, balanced against the risk of sending this terrible message to the publishers that's it's an acceptable business practise?

I bought one for Gears of War 3, and ended up massively regretting it (the DLC was shite, and the main game wasn't a patch on GoW2). I'd never do it again, as the paltry savings aren't worth the risk that's it's just a couple of multiplayer maps and character skins. Now I just buy the DLC packs I'm interested in (which isn't many).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 17:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Well I've been burned enough now on pre-orders - (Diablo 3 which technically I got for 'free' but only because I signed up to WoW for a year long ahead of its release, and then stopped playing WoW for months.... And Sim City (which does at least now mostly work as intended but it still rubbish because the city size is too small)) - and also Season Passes (Bioshock Infinite) to not bother with either again.

Then again when they work they're ace, I bought the Season Pass for both BL2 and BF3, and both games were absolutely majestic and I got my money's worth out of them many times over and all the DLC was fab.

Done properly I don't think there's anything wrong with a Season Pass, and conceptually it makes sense where it's a game you're sure you'll like and would buy all the DLC anyway, so it's logical to want to save a few quid in the process.

But yeah, Bioshock Infinite has left a sour taste in my mouth, I'm hacked off enough that I paid full price for the game itself, let alone lumbering myself with the Season Pass as well.

In fact I'm loathed to pay full price for games at all now, I've got an eye on Need For Speed Rivals on Origin but I refuse to bite until it hits £20 or less (it hit £30 in the last Origin sale but I didn't buy it).

EDIT - I did buy the Season Pass (or Premium Edition) for BF4, but that game is a total shoe-in so it made sense. And if I'm honest I'll be buying the Season Pass for BL3 when it's inevitably announced. So I've like, sort of learned my lesson, or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 17:30 
Bad Girl

British Nervoso wrote:
the main game [GoW3] wasn't a patch on GoW2

No way, man, Gears 3 campaign was bombastic fun whereas Gear 2 was a bit one note.

MENTAL NOTE: ...must remember to start a thread on Gears: Judgement which I've kinda started, but I also want to get stuck into Ni No Kuni.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 17:44 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
the main game [GoW3] wasn't a patch on GoW2

No way, man, Gears 3 campaign was bombastic fun whereas Gear 2 was a bit one note.

I'd just had enough by the time it had finished. There's only so much cover shooter dudebro stuff you can play before it gets boring. The Gears series finished with 3 for me. I have no interest in playing Judgement or any further games in the franchise. See also Halo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 18:06 
Bad Girl

I can totally understand that. For me, there's been just enough time that's passed since Gears 3 for me to want to play another one. Of them. Gears: Judgement is very VERY pretty though.

Mind you, having said that, I couldn't give two fucks about playing CoD: Ghosts though cause not enough time has passed since the last tedious military shooter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 18:41 
Hello Hello Hello

So then I'm working my way through the Infinite DLC, pretty much everything is at a premium - guns, ammo, vigors (drinkable plasmids as they're referred to), upgrades, cash, fairly tight on health and Eve, you get the idea. (It also feels like a big step backwards because after getting to the end of the main game being fairly well tooled up with a nicely 'evolved' character and weapon set, you're back to playing a lameass again, and you know the DLC won't last long enough to get him back into any sort of shape again.)

So what would be a REALLY GOOD IDEA to make it all so much more fun? INFINITELY RESPAWNING ENEMIES.

So yes, if you decide to have a little wander around to look for stuff you've missed and go into the 'wrong' room in the process, you'll come back out to find yourself looking at a collection of splicers YOU KILLED ABOUT FOUR MINUTES AGO. It's almost like the game knows it's being shit because it makes sure they all drop enough stuff to kind of put you back to where you were before.

I got fed up with it, and even though I know I've missed the shock jockey vigor/plasmid/whatever in the area I've just been in, I've moved onto the next area anyway, because I can't be arsed killing/dodging all the respawning splicers that I know are waiting for me down there. At least BL2 has the decency to keep enemies dead for as long as you remain in the current area, and they only respawn if you leave and come back, or quit out and reload.

Poor show, it really is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:08 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Telling them they should spend extra money because by doing so they are going to be shaping the future of the games industry is totally correct and right-thinking, but because they're slavering idiots who can't see past the end of their own nose they'll ignore the advice and carry on ruining things for themselves and the rest of us.

I'm glad you agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:27 
Excellent Member

Done properly I don't think there's anything wrong with a Season Pass, and conceptually it makes sense where it's a game you're sure you'll like and would buy all the DLC anyway, so it's logical to want to save a few quid in the process.

Right, but that only makes sense if as you say (a) it's a game you're sure you like and (b) you would buy all the DLC anyway. It's literally impossible to be sure of all those things at the point of buying a season pass, and you've been proven wrong on that a couple of times thus far, so you're not making an informed decision to exchange money for goods of an equivalent value you're just gambling your cash against a whole load of unknowns. Which is bonkers enough as a one-off, but every time you do it you send the message to publishers that you'll bend over for the same weird arrangement in future. I mean Christ, we've even now got a situation with season passes which don't include random bits of DLC!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:

Right, but that only makes sense if as you say (a) it's a game you're sure you like and (b) you would buy all the DLC anyway. It's literally impossible to be sure of all those things at the point of buying a season pass, and you've been proven wrong on that a couple of times thus far, so you're not making an informed decision to exchange money for goods of an equivalent value you're just gambling your cash against a whole load of unknowns. Which is bonkers enough as a one-off, but every time you do it you send the message to publishers that you'll bend over for the same weird arrangement in future. I mean Christ, we've even now got a situation with season passes which don't include random bits of DLC!

I kind of take your point but it's not something that overly concerns me, there are far more sinister transgressions in the world of capitalism to worry about than paying a bit too much for some games via uncertain season passes.

Besides which I'd say that buying a PS4 or an XBone is a bit of a gamble at the moment, you're effectively paying top price and laying out hundreds of pounds on the expectation that some decent games will be along in due course, sending the 'message' that it's OK to release consoles with barely complete operating systems and unfinished rehashes of last-gen games that need 10GB+ day one 'patches' (I mean, really, 10GB must be the entire fucking game downloading again) - and no one seems overly bothered by that.

That said I am far more wary about them then I used to be, and I certainly can't see myself pre-ordering and/or getting a season pass for games in the future, but for dead-certs like the Battlefields and the next Borderlands, I probably will. (I know the Season Pass didn't include EVERYTHING for BL2 but it did get you four sizeable chunks of really high quality DLC (entire new zones) along with the level cap increase, anyone who felt short-changed by having to pay extra for the mechro or psycho classes or further extras needs to have their greedy goggles readjusted a bit.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 13:32 
EvilTrousers

Besides which I'd say that buying a PS4 or an XBone is a bit of a gamble at the moment, you're effectively paying top price and laying out hundreds of pounds on the expectation that some decent games will be along in due course, sending the 'message' that it's OK to release consoles with barely complete operating systems and unfinished rehashes of last-gen games that need 10GB+ day one 'patches' (I mean, really, 10GB must be the entire fucking game downloading again) - and no one seems overly bothered by that.

No-one? I think there's a quite a few of us not touching them for a bit.

And you're mainly referring to the XboxOne there although the paucity of decent PS4 titles is certainly off putting.

Also you smell of wee.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 13:59 
Excellent Member

Trousers wrote:

No-one? I think there's a quite a few of us not touching them for a bit.

And you're mainly referring to the XboxOne there although the paucity of decent PS4 titles is certainly off putting.

Also you smell of wee.

I'm not buying a PS4 right now for a few reasons, some of which AE mentions, but I didn't respond to that because it's got not a thing to do with season passes so I just ignored it as a slightly odd aside.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 14:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
I'm not buying a PS4 right now for a few reasons, some of which AE mentions, but I didn't respond to that because it's got not a thing to do with season passes so I just ignored it as a slightly odd aside.

It was a reply to your suggestion that buying a season pass is a sort of gambling and sends a terrible message to the publishers and must be condemned in the strongest possible terms :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 14:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hypothetical: If you bought a season pass and the publisher never released any content (maybe they changed their mind, or went bust, or something) do you have any legal grounds for a refund?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 14:36 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:

It was a reply to your suggestion that buying a season pass is a sort of gambling and sends a terrible message to the publishers and must be condemned in the strongest possible terms :)

How was it a reply? Whether buying a PS4 right now is a bad idea or not has nothing at all to do with whether buying a season pass is a bad idea or not. Even if the two things were directly related, which they're not, it turns out that "wrong + wrong ≠ right" so it's hardly any kind of defence.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 14:41 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Hypothetical: If you bought a season pass and the publisher never released any content (maybe they changed their mind, or went bust, or something) do you have any legal grounds for a refund?

iTunes state in their terms and conditions that if you buy a season pass that if there is an episode shortfall that you will get a pro-rata refund. I can't find anything about games, but then again I use terrible search engines.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 20:37 
Hello Hello Hello

I have now completed the Burial At Sea DLC and it's rubbish. (It's very short, which is the only good thing I can find to say about it, it's only taken me this long to complete because I had very little urge to return to it but figured I may as well see the story out.)

Unlike the main game, it doesn't get better towards the end - impossible to recommend. UNLESS YOU'RE A THICK FUCKING DOLT LIKE ME AND YOU BOUGHT THE SEASON PASS IN WHICH CASE YOU MAY AS WELL PLOD THROUGH IT, I SUPPOSE.

Stupid time travel alternate universe shitty cheap plot device as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Finished! Only took 18 months or so :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:35 
Hello Hello Hello

The game so bad I never even bothered to reinstall it to play the second bit of DLC when it got released, despite me having pre-purchased it via the season pass.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I rather liked it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:44 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I got this for £2.99 on the 360 the other day. Really rather enjoying it; there is no challenge whatsoever, but swinging around on those rails shooting people is rather fun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:46 
Hello Hello Hello

I ranted about the game in-depth earlier in this thread, but it does massively improve for its second half and particularly its final third.

Not a game I'd ever want to play again though, unless they patched in a save system.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:58 

well, it saves every 2 yards automatically on the 360!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Bobbyaro wrote:
well, it saves every 2 yards automatically on the 360!

I commented about this at the time:

viewtopic.php?p=756223#p756223

I went fully 30 minutes between saves at one point, albeit thoroughly exploring the area I was in at the time.

And then you'll have a section where, yes, it seems to be saving every 4.85 seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 
Bad Girl

My advice: never: play: Alien: Isolation:.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bobbyaro wrote:
there is no challenge whatsoever

Are you playing on hard?

Hearthly wrote:
save system

Please don't. We know. Everyone knows. Shh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
My advice: never: play: Alien: Isolation:.

Yeah I've already crossed that game off my list, just reading about the save 'system' annoys me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:51 

Grim... wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Are you playing on hard?

Yes, it has a few sections where there is a little bit, but the lack of any meaningful "death" means that you can just tank in and win through attrition if you need to (not that I have needed to). Still like it though, and as I say there are still sections that are tough, but they are more set pieces, the AI of the baddies is pretty poor as well, but then it isn't trying to be CoD, so that is fine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's true, but nearly dying costs money. 'Merica!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Bobbyaro wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Are you playing on hard?

Yes, it has a few sections where there is a little bit, but the lack of any meaningful "death" means that you can just tank in and win through attrition if you need to (not that I have needed to). Still like it though, and as I say there are still sections that are tough, but they are more set pieces, the AI of the baddies is pretty poor as well, but then it isn't trying to be CoD, so that is fine.

Put together the 'fire charge' build and you'll be indestructible.

I detailed it earlier in the thread, once I happened on that it rendered every single combat encounter entirely trivial. (Well, less trivial than they were already. But it did make them a lot quicker, which I was grateful for as the combat in this game is shit.)

Just thinking about this game is irritating me with memories of its mediocrity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 15:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cosplay!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 15:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Whatever.

Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next