Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Xcom UFO Defence
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:06 

I'm gutted that "Enemy Within" didn't refer to aliens coming from THE SEA, a la a TFTD expansion.

But this is probably better anyway.

So yeah... :this:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 18:25 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Woo...just got the dispatch email from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow.

Bollocks, just realised I have friends visiting this weekend. Stupid friends.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 18:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Name your marines after them and then you'll kind of be visiting them anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 16:57 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Jeez they really have upped the difficulty with the new mission types, they also throw a lot more at you within a short space of time making it even more of a war of attrition...be prepared to lose a lot more marines.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 16:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

New mission types?
Is that on the PC?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 17:03 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

No...I'm playing on the Xbox (which is basically the original game + expansion).

The EXALT / Covert operative missions are swines, usually giving you only three turns to get across the map to stop a hack (which I'm really bad at stopping)...and in the "Investigate missing citizens" mission, I attempted it five times and the best result was losing two of my best marines.

Enjoying it though...basically it's XCom+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 18:40 

It's a DLC expansion on PC and a standalone game on console.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 19:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's a DLC expansion on PC

Twenty fucking pounds?!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 19:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's a DLC expansion on PC

Twenty fucking pounds?!

This has got less than a fiver in a Steam christmas (or new year) sale written all over it. I'm hanging on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 20:18 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Jeez, just gone through the...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Aliens attack the XCOM base mission

and had my bottom handed to me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 20:25 
Excellent Member

I liked the game but i'm not very eager to return to it even with the DLC. Just give a new DLC with only random missions and no scripted missions whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 16:09 
Prince of Fops

Pod wrote:
There needs to be a bloody button to unequip everything from your soldiers. I have limited equipment and I'm trying to cycle my squad usage. Have to continually unequip things from people, decide who to take, then re-equip the squad.

Also, the fact that you can move between squad members on their info screen when they're stood infront of the skyranger, but you can when they're in the barracks, is really, really odd.

I only started playing this in anger this weekend, but by god :this:

Actually, you had two complaints there.

THESE

Still bloody brilliant though. I made the mistake of naming my crew after friends and family. I've had to Dirty-Save-and- Reload several times now to save my wife. The impetuous cow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 16:19 
Prince of Fops

Findus Fop wrote:
Pod wrote:
There needs to be a bloody button to unequip everything from your soldiers. I have limited equipment and I'm trying to cycle my squad usage. Have to continually unequip things from people, decide who to take, then re-equip the squad.

Also, the fact that you can move between squad members on their info screen when they're stood infront of the skyranger, but you can when they're in the barracks, is really, really odd.

THESE

Still bloody brilliant though. I made the mistake of naming my crew after friends and family. I've had to Dirty-Save-and- Reload several times now to save my wife. The impetuous cow.

And i've just realised the Doc posted similar more than two years ago. With less business about my wife. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 16:54 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Findus Fop wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Pod wrote:

THESE

And i've just realised the Doc posted similar more than two years ago. With less business about my wife. Thank you.

Take a look at the Long War mod, its fucking amazing, turns the game into a much longer game with alot more depth of research and tactics, also answers the problems that are bugging you.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Some of the changes in this mod include:

An extended campaign requiring far more missions to complete
Tactical missions that allow up to twelve XCom soldiers per mission with the right upgrades
Eight soldier classes: Infantry, Assault, Sniper, Scout, Gunner, Rocketeer, Medic and Engineer, and eight MEC classes: Valkyrie, Marauder, Jaeger, Pathfinder, Goliath, Archer, Guardian and Shogun
New and modified perks, including Ranger, Sapper, HEAT Warheads, Lock N' Load, Fire in the Hole, Hit and Run, and Javelin Rockets
New and modified technologies, including Xenopsionics, Alien Biocybernetics, Pulse Lasers, Gauss Weapons and Advanced Aerospace Concepts, and many new foundry projects
Five tiers of XCOM weaponry, many new armors and small items and S.H.I.V.s that can be equipped with perk-granting small items! See some of the new weapons here.
Earlier access to psionics and vastly expanded psionics tree
A system of commissioning and promoting XCOM officers who provide bonuses to your entire squad during missions (replaces the Enemy Within medals system)
Overhauled interception game, with five new UFO classes such as the Fighter, Raider and Harvester, as well as six interceptors per continent, foundry projects to upgrade your aircraft, individualized pilot names and pilot experience, and the Stingray Missile weapon system
Overhauled strategy game, in which the aliens gather resources and conduct research -- efforts XCOM must interdict if it hopes to save humanity. XCOM can now retake countries by finding and conquering alien bases in those countries. Help council countries defend themselves by fulfilling their requests for alien technology!
Aliens and EXALT forces grow tougher over time, gaining stats and perks
New weapons for XCOM soldiers
Soldiers rest after each mission, requiring the player to build a much deeper roster of soldiers
Modified Second Wave options to support longer campaigns

Mechs now become key to winning as your soldiers suffer from battle fatigue and need a few days between combat, where as you robots can be thrown right in again and again. You get the Psi-abilitys earlier and have a chance to develop you squads around that if you wish. They ditched the stupid medal system and added ...bah take a look for yourself ;)

WARNING - Modding the game will make it so you are unable to play multiplayer.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 16:55 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

bah! colour me stupid, that is the mod for UFO Enemy Unknown, sorry, carry on. Nothing to see here.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 17:21 
Prince of Fops

Slightly Green wrote:
bah! colour me stupid, that is the mod for UFO Enemy Unknown, sorry, carry on. Nothing to see here.

Kevin Eldon is displeased!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 15:45 
Prince of Fops

Reading through the thread, there's a lot of love for Double Tap. I've yet to experience it as I souped both snipers up the other way, going for In the Zone, which I've found to be my best skill so far. Have been able to knock off four aliens in the same turn with the same chap, using it. Those who've used both, is Double Tap that much better?

Or do aliens become harder to flank and keep out of cover later in the game?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:56 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Long War mod installed and excellent as described...still in the early days but the fatigue system means you have to be much more careful with your soldier management. Played numerous missions before discovering there's a whole plethora of kit you can muck about with at the beginning of the game (different standard rifles, machine pistols, flashbang, AP and HE grenades etc, etc)...and the multiple classes of soldier you can have (dependent on the initial skill choices) means that there's huge scope for experimentation.

The only downer (at least for me) is that the mod has difficulty installing if your games are installed on a different disk than the Steam installation.

Would recommend.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:28 
INFINITE POWAH

I put in a fair few hours into the 360 version, and realised I'd probably taken the wrong route in terms of facility and satellite investment - half the world is close to red panic levels, I haven't got enoguh money and Craster and Grim... are dead. I haven't touched it in a few months, so I may start over during this break.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:35 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

It's the perfect time...nothing says the festive season more than alien autopsies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 19:20 
Hello Hello Hello

I've made a concerted effort to replay this game over the last couple of weeks, only to repeatedly, and dismally fail - to the point that I've given up and uninstalled it.

Normal difficulty is too easy, but Classic feels 'unfair' rather than 'interestingly challenging'. Double the number of enemies, give them innumerable bonuses at the same time as nerfing your soldiers - and the result isn't fun.

Great game on the first playthrough but can't sustain a second IMO (see also, Deus Ex Human Revolution). Roll on the sequel I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 19:42 

That's basically the X-COM way, though. A trial by fire, pitting your horrifically underdeveloped and underpowered soldiers against an overwhelmingly competent invasion force.

If anything, the problem it has is like the original X-COM - once you start researching stuff and can take the fight to them, the game becomes almost stupidly easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 19:42 

Also, give the Long War mod a try - makes a huge difference to the base game IMO :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 14:23 
Prince of Fops

I'm about to start this again now I have it on PC. Am apprehensive about adding the Long War mod because I'm fairly fun-time poor and have Enemy Unknown and Within to get through. Hopefully won't regret it.

Will be applying Gazchap's Murdoch strategy to the opening game. Satellites a go go. Hopefully won't regret that either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 16:54 
Prince of Fops

Boom

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-01-xcom-2-review

Never finished Xcom, got about half way through. May not bother and just dive into this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 17:09 

Oh
Shit
Son

Sadly I don't think I have any way to play this because it's PC only. My PC is just about up to it, maybe; but I doubt XCOM 2 will be TV-viewing-distance font friendly, it doesn't support joypads any more, and my little Logitech wireless keyboard isn't comfortable for long use. Y U H8 MONEYZ FURRAXIS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 17:14 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Sadly I don't think I have any way to play this because it's PC only.

When you say 'PC only' do you mean 'isn't on iOS' or 'Windows only'? Because it is apparently being released for OS X as well as Windows.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 17:25 

Bamba wrote:

When you say 'PC only' do you mean 'isn't on iOS' or 'Windows only'? Because it is apparently being released for OS X as well as Windows.

Hmmm. Last I heard the Mac version was "coming later" where "later" sounded like "a lot later than you'd like." Admittedly the Steam pre-release page is showing it as being triple-platform; but the "system requirements" bit only has Windows requirements. The official site doesn't seem to say much of anything, it just links to Steam.

Although "XCOM 2 launches on PC worldwide February 5, 2016" on https://xcom.com/news/en-xcom-2-digital ... ement-pack doesn't sound hopeful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 17:31 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Oh
Shit
Son

Sadly I don't think I have any way to play this because it's PC only. My PC is just about up to it, maybe; but I doubt XCOM 2 will be TV-viewing-distance font friendly, it doesn't support joypads any more, and my little Logitech wireless keyboard isn't comfortable for long use. Y U H8 MONEYZ FURRAXIS

Hack the font sizes like I did with Civ V. Buy a Steam controller. Sorted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 17:43 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Hmmm. Last I heard the Mac version was "coming later" where "later" sounded like "a lot later than you'd like." Admittedly the Steam pre-release page is showing it as being triple-platform; but the "system requirements" bit only has Windows requirements. The official site doesn't seem to say much of anything, it just links to Steam.

Although "XCOM 2 launches on PC worldwide February 5, 2016" on https://xcom.com/news/en-xcom-2-digital ... ement-pack doesn't sound hopeful.

Yeah, it is all a little bit vague. Though on the 'optimistic' side of the fence, this from the company doing the Mac and Linux ports seems pretty definite about all three platforms getting it on the same day. Although that's not a very recent post admittedly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 19:09 
Hello Hello Hello

I don't like the sound of everything being against the clock in X-Com 2, I'm really not sure how that will sit with me.

Not having to go into Overwatch ALL THE TIME seems like an improvement though.

Will definitely get. But maybe in a sale.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 19:11 

Bamba wrote:
Yeah, it is all a little bit vague. Though on the 'optimistic' side of the fence, this from the company doing the Mac and Linux ports seems pretty definite about all three platforms getting it on the same day. Although that's not a very recent post admittedly.

True, true, but... it's only a few days away. If it was coming at launch, we'd know for sure I think.

Also I just noticed that https://xcom.com/#buy-xcom-2 only offers PC and PC_Digital as options.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 19:51 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

*Stares at screen willing pre-loading to start*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:18 
Hello Hello Hello

Having read a reasonable crop of reviews now, a couple of themes seem to come through with some degree of consistency.

1) No horrible gamebreaking bugs in there, but a fair few glitches and problems that could do with a patch or two from Firaxis.

2) A few other rough edges that the modding community will most likely sort out in due course (given that the game has full support for modding with the blessing of Firaxis).

Might be a sensible choice to give this a bit of time to bed in I think, and get a decent consensus on what the must-have mods are.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:48 
Master of dodgy spelling....

or just play and enjoy it??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:12 
Hello Hello Hello

KovacsC wrote:
or just play and enjoy it??

It depends how mega-keen the person in question is to play the game I suppose. For me I have enough 'other games' stuff going on to keep myself occupied in perpetuity (Hearthstone, MAME, FME and Pinball Arcade alone could achieve that), so there's no real compulsion for me to jump in on day one, at full price, for a game known to contain a fair crop of bugs and which the mod community will undoubtedly much improve within a reasonable period of time.

I loved X-Com 1 (as per many posts to this thread), and I'll definitely get X-Com 2 at some point - but it doesn't need to be Day One, and in all likelihood it'll actually be a better game 3-6 months down the line anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 19:17 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Pre Load has begun...colour me en-moistened

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 23:10 
I forgot about this - how vain

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:

True, true, but... it's only a few days away. If it was coming at launch, we'd know for sure I think.

Also I just noticed that https://xcom.com/#buy-xcom-2 only offers PC and PC_Digital as options.

Preloading on macs as of now.

I also meet the "recommended" stats. Hmmm...

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I had to leave for work this morning while it was taunting me with a "play" button :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:33 

XCOM 2: £34.99

XCOM2 + Steam Controller bundle on Steam: £55.98

WELL THEN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:47 

Ooof, plus £7 shipping. I still did it, obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:58 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Counting down the minutes (123 and counting) until I can get home and try this...

Unfortunately my colleagues have organised a "Cheerio Morte and good riddance' dinner for tomorrow night, which of course is lovely and everything but does put a dent in my all XCom 2 weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 13:00 

This will be a good litmus test for the Steam Link and Controller for me then, let's see if I can get on with it for the privilege of playing this on my lounge TV.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 13:05 
INFINITE POWAH

I hadn't seen anything about this, saw this thread then thought yay! a sequel. Then realised it's PC only, wtf? :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 13:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MrChris wrote:
I hadn't seen anything about this, saw this thread then thought yay! a sequel. Then realised it's PC only, wtf? :(

That's hardly surprising for the initial release of an RTS game, chap.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 13:31 
INFINITE POWAH

Didn't the last one come out on 360 at the same time, though?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 13:37 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Yep...from what I understand the sales didn't warrant the work on developing a console version.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 13:39 
INFINITE POWAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 13:44 

MrChris wrote:
Didn't the last one come out on 360 at the same time, though?

Came out on 360/PS3 on release day, and later shipped for Android/iOS. Which I think XCOM 2 will, in time.

Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next