Hello Hello Hello

This sort of nails the problem I have with the game:

http://kotaku.com/the-problem-with-bios ... -468530143

The combat spoils it.

Post subject: Re: Bioshock Infinite announced
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 23:13 
Bad Girl

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Switch to the 'marksman' controls. Aim-down-sights on left trigger, vigor on LB, vigor menu on RB, fire on RT, swap weapons on Y, melée on R3. I found that preferable.

I tells ya, that worked a treat. Loads more instinctive for the CoD crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:51 
Full of plumptiousness

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
unlike for example BL2.

Bzzt. Repetition. Easy now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Repetition at BEEX - heaven forfend!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 19:00 
Rude Belittler

Borderlands has pretty uninspired shooting. Its like, no-one ever played Diablo for the satisfying combat mechanics. In Borderlands, its also the case that it presents you with a universe of guns, all with all sorts of amazing abilities, which you ignore and choose the most boring weapons you can possibly find.

I much, much prefer B:I combat to Borderlands.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 19:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
Borderlands has pretty uninspired shooting. Its like, no-one ever played Diablo for the satisfying combat mechanics. In Borderlands, its also the case that it presents you with a universe of guns, all with all sorts of amazing abilities, which you ignore and choose the most boring weapons you can possibly find.

I much, much prefer B:I combat to Borderlands.

Well it's a case of each to their own I suppose then :)

Personally I think the gunplay in BL2 was inspired, the fire/corrode/electric mechanics were simple and elegant, add on the slag effects, then the various weapon classes and the huge variety of effects for each - the possibilities were endless. (Especially given you could comfortably carry an entire arsenal around with you, the right gun for the right job at all times, along with generous (but not infinite) supplies of ammo for everything - BL2 was a game that was determined to be FUN.)

I don't agree it was a case of going for the most boring weapons either, for example I had an explosive shotgun with a few mental effects on it that could literally let off just two shots before it needed a reload, but it was so immensely powerful that its situational value meant I've had it about my person for my entire time at Level 50. (It was a very close range sort of deal, obviously.)

By comparison, my honest opinion is that the gunplay in BI is boring, repetitive, contrived, sub single-player CoD rubbish, and that the game design is needlessly mean-minded by only allowing you to carry two guns at a time, whilst forcing a single autosave slot on you as well.

It compensates for this by making sure that enemies readily drop pretty much the entire range of weapons you could ever need in every single 'arena', to mitigate the chance of the player (who is not imbued with psychic abilities) making the 'wrong' decision on what to enter the arena with. (And let's face it, BI is basically a series of small interconnected arenas, there's nothing like the scope of the play area that BL2 serves up.)

The problem with that of course is that the right weapons for any given situation, whilst available as drops, may not be the ones that you've upgraded, so you're left scrabbling around with shit guns that you have to use out of necessity.

It seems to me that the game design financially prohibits the player from even coming close to upgrading all the guns and/or vigors, so you're left making blind choices going into unknown situations with no save to fall back on, but since the game can't put you into an impossible situation - (apparently 1999 mode CAN do this but the easy/normal/hard modes don't) - you end up with the tired old cliché of endless ammo crates, health packs, enemies dropping 'good' guns all over the place, and Elizabeth handily chucking whatever you need at you in times of need. Yeah it mixes it up a bit by letting you choose which tear to open depending on what you need, OPEN THIS TEAR FOR HEALTH, OPEN THIS TEAR FOR AMMO, OPEN THIS TEAR FOR SOME COVER AND DON'T WORRY I'LL MAKE SURE THERE'S A SNIPER RIFLE THERE FOR YOU, OPEN THIS TEAR FOR A MACHINE GUN TURRET etc but it's all desperately contrived IMO and nothing like the freeform combat mechanics of BL2 where you could really bend the game around how you wanted to play it.

BL2 kept me playing to the small hours of the morning on more than one occasion because I was just so into it, BI I'm finding it hard work to get through more than two or three checkpoints per session. On a couple of sessions I've felt I've finally got into the groove with it, and then it just chucks another incredibly lazy 'wave of enemies' arena at me, along with magically respawning enemies after I've looked in the particular cupboard that triggers them respawning behind me. When that happens I'm just like, 'Fuck, I've got to do some more shooting, and the shooting in this game is shit.'

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, and I readily concede that BI has one of the most gorgeously realised game worlds and compelling storylines you're ever likely to see in a video game - but as an actual GAME, as a story driven FPS/RPG hybrid which is what it basically is, I feel it's a pretty poor game.

I will see it out to the finish because I want to experience the entire story and the game world, but every time I have to start shooting, I do so through mostly gritted teeth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 20:14 
Bad Girl

Is he still going on about bloody saving? He's stuck in a loop - someone reboot him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 20:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Is he still going on about bloody saving? He's stuck in a loop - someone reboot him.

Yes I am still 'going on about it', Pundabaya made a reasoned post about the game and compared it to BL2, I've responded with a post expressing my own feelings about the game.

That is OK I take it? In a thread about a video game, on a set of video game forums?

I can chuck in some shit your mum jokes, if you think it will help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 20:42 
Bad Girl

The point is this: you're repeating yourself past the point of mild irritation.

I wouldn't mind some engaging discussion about the fucking story instead of some tedious waffle that you want to inflict on the thread. Especially since I've yet to meet the sodding woman (which for intents is supposed to be the more interesting facet of the game) and all I'm thinking about while playing it is "how long was it since the last save".

Now kindly shut the hell up or talk about the game on a deeper level than 'there's only two weapon slots'.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 20:44 

It's definetly derivative of CoD and BF and BL and all those other games where you can fly through the air on a one-man roller coaster before killing someone with a swam of fiery supernatural crows then summon a tidal wave to push back a group of enemies before electrocuting them then pull a heavy-hitter enemy type into a trap that makes him flail around in midair helplessly, before finishing off by making a giant stomping clockwork automaton in the shape of Abraham Lincoln switch over to your side and wipe out everyone else. It's so yawnsome and so similar to so many other games.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 20:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:

I wouldn't mind some engaging discussion about the fucking story instead of some tedious waffle that you want to inflict on the thread. Especially since I've yet to meet the sodding woman (which for intents is supposed to be the more interesting facet of the game) and all I'm thinking about while playing it is "how long was it since the last save".

Now kindly shut the hell up or talk about the game on a deeper level than 'there's only two weapon slots'.

EDIT - Meh fuck it, can't be arsed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 20:57 
Rude Belittler

I'd disagree with the whole 'you have to use this gun to proceed' thing, simply because you've got the vigors and their ability to swing things in your favour, along with the mobility of the grab hooks and sky-rails. Undertow in particular is designed to get the enemy right where you want them. Murder of Crows, Shock Jockey and Bucking Bronco are designed to mess up guys who are trying to close the distance. Charge is about closing the distance yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 22:30 
What-ho, chaps!

Saturnalian wrote:

That's really rude.

The saving is a problem. A big problem. A great big stupid problem. Not giving the player options is a design choice I can never fathom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 23:10 
Bad Girl

Yes, it's game breaking, I'm going to stop playing Bioshock Infinite and play something else leaving this thread to people who actually want to play it.

Anyhoo, I've found Elizabeth, and yes, she's very likeable. Some of her canned animations are lovely. I'm rooting in some drawers and she's leaning against a counter tapping her foot. She'll look at toys and get told off by a security guard, she'll dance for as long as I let her. I've only been in her company for a short while but I can tell they've worked hard on her character and it's paid off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 0:04 
Paws for thought

MrD wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

That's really rude.

The saving is a problem. A big problem. A great big stupid problem. Not giving the player options is a design choice I can never fathom.

Man, the game should just have a win button and a kill everything on screen button and everything. More options, see?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 0:34 
What-ho, chaps!

Sure, why not. If you've got difficulty settings that give enemies 1x health, 2x health, 3x health, 100x health, why not 0.001x health?

Being able to get infinite lives in Rod-Land with a cheat or skip levels in Pang if you can type fast enough didn't ruin the universe. If I want to see how far I can get in Rod-Land or Pang with the stock number of lives, I don't turn it on. If I'm playing with a friend and we want to continually hammer our foreheads against the game until it yields (like how Halo co-op works I believe), we can turn on the cheats.

The rules of a game should be mutually agreed by the players.

I'd be concerned if there wasn't a setting to turn that kind of thing off, but it wouldn't bother me that it's there. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I don't play with Final Smashes on, which really are 'win the game and explode everything on the screen' powers. (I don't know if they're optional by themselves, you might need to disable all items if I recall.)

I don't play Halo because it has auto-aiming weapons, homing weapons AND bizarre 'player camera turns to track enemies' mechanics that I can't turn off. I don't play Rage because for some ridiculous reason they've made it so that when you press the Aim Down Sights button (the button you use when you want to exercise your skill to execute a precise shot) it automatically throws your aim toward the enemy.

And I can't really play Bioshock Infinite, because only having one save means if I go to my friend's place and try to play it on his PC, I'll muck up his save. Which is I guess why they've done it, which is a bit meany.

I'm annoyed because Bioshock Infinite reminds me of another only-two-guns, selecting-upgrades, lots-of-plot-stuff-going-on, running-about-like-a-madman-shooting-powers-everywhere, iron-sights-regenerating-shield FPS that I really liked: Syndicate. (Which also had only one save.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

The argument against putting a manual save option into a game is the same argument as being against gay marriage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pundabaya wrote:
Murder of Crows

Crowned!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:40 

MrD wrote:
And I can't really play Bioshock Infinite, because only having one save means if I go to my friend's place and try to play it on his PC, I'll muck up his save. Which is I guess why they've done it, which is a bit meany.

Pretty sure it's not why it's done that way, as most sales would be on consoles where your savegame is tied to your profile and hence multiple players can play the game without overwriting each other's progress. The issue you describe only affects the minority platform.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 14:58 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
where you can fly through the air on a one-man roller coaster before killing someone with a swam of fiery supernatural crows then summon a tidal wave to push back a group of enemies before electrocuting them then pull a heavy-hitter enemy type into a trap that makes him flail around in midair helplessly, before finishing off by making a giant stomping clockwork automaton in the shape of Abraham Lincoln switch over to your side and wipe out everyone else. It's so yawnsome and so similar to so many other games.

Please tell me this is in the game. Please, please, pelase. I was bought farCry due to your stories about it, so yes yes a thousand tiems yes let this be true.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 15:44 
Excellent Member

Yes, it really is true (I'm serious). :)

Unfortunately the fighting also gets real boring real fast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 16:24 

MaliA wrote:
Please tell me this is in the game. Please, please, pelase. I was bought farCry due to your stories about it, so yes yes a thousand tiems yes let this be true.

I did all those things and I had a most enjoyable time whilst doing them too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 22:28 
Bad Girl

The first two Bioshock's were pretty linear, right, but the levels were often quite wide, right? This seems more linear and less wide (ok, wide isn't the best word but y'know what I mean). And I've had no Big Daddy moments yet. Y'know, when you've got an overpowered beast but you can leave him alone, if you want to, or mess him up for lulz and stuff.

Maybe that comes later, but right now baddies want messing up and there's little choice to avoid a confrontation or resort to any other tactic than a good old bit of fisticuffs (where fisticuffs are replaced with flaming balls of fire, machine guns and, now, punting people into the air). Which is fine, but it lacks the options so skilfully put into Dishonoured. Or interesting stuff like the Big Daddies.

The art style is quite similar to Dishonoured an' all, but Dishonoured pips it for the consistency of vision and lack of any washed out textures (that I can remember). It all goes a bit PS2 when you get up close to stuff in BI.

Ooh, I do like the people milling around though. That was always missing from Bioshock which painted a picture of civil unrest happening moments before you got there but you never saw any kind if society happening around you. At least you know that this is a living breathing place - it's just a shame that the people vanish when a ruck kicks off. Which it invariably does.

And I still dislike rooting around in bins. Lord knows why the vending machines sell anything when I'm stocked up to the brim 99% of the time. Maybe I should keep out the bins.

In real life too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 22:58 
Rude Belittler

Grim... wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
Murder of Crows

Crowned!

*sigh*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 19:48 
Bad Girl

The fight music sounds like the witches tune from the Wizard of Oz.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 23:08 
Bad Girl

Finished!

Must go and read up about the ending. Interesting but something was missing. I can't point my finger on it but as a 'game' it lacked ommphffttt.

The beginning was good, the ending was good, the middle lacked some-thing. I'll have a think about it.

I'll tell you this though, if I've missed any key story bits by not finding all the recordings I'll be pissed. I shouldn't have to seek out the story.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Christ, don't play Dark Souls then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 
Bad Girl

Dark Souls has a story!?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 22:14 
Bad Girl

Ending questions for people who know.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
So that ending. Parallel universes and shit, right?

I'd like some input on some finer points of the story. When Booker enters a tear am I right in saying that he is carrying out what that Booker in the parallel universe would have done anyway? He has no "choice".

Am I also right in saying that the story progresses in a linear time line but jumping from parallel universe to parallel universe right up until the ending? Whatserface then gets MEGAPOWER and can open tears in space and time.

If you die in one universe do you die in another? Booker was already dead in one universe. Assuming that you don't, then why the bloody noses and people going nuts when you go through a tear? Booker's bloody nose goes unexplained and he gets one in two seperate tears (I think). Is it because he's already dead. Who nose? AHA HA HA HA HA. Oh, it's been a long day...

I'm sure I'll think of some more things but the nose thing and existing in separate worlds thing that was bothering me most.

Also, I've re-read the 10/10 in GamesTM and the gurning is just unbelievable.It ain't that good. I like the world, I like the people and the story was pretty good but the game side of things was ocassionally irritating.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 23:41 
Rude Belittler

Duh, spoilerz

The first obvious bit of time travel in the game is when you go forward in time to the bad future of 1984, and go through the thoroughly creepy Comstock House. Then obviously you get sent back, though it seems that you don't go right back to the point you left. It is possible that you travel in time a little earlier on, it seems the 'Vox have guns' universe may be slightly later than the first universe. Bearing in mind that its less than a day since you arrived, and thats not really enough time for Booker to be a martyr.

The bloody noses are a symptom of brain trauma. When the universe you're experiencing and the memories you have of the previous universe, or the memories your mind has created to cope with the current universe conflict, and your brain is trying to make sense of the situation, you get a nosebleed.

A lot of people misunderstand one moment. When Booker sees his face on the Vox banner, and learns that he died in this universe, he is not remembering the other Booker's memories as such. His brain is coming up with false memories of what is likely to have happened. He knows Slate was there, he's been to (and been disgusted with) the Hall of Heroes. This process causes a nosebleed.

One important thing to note, when Liz takes you through the tears, she actually appears to superimpose the universes, one on top of the other, rather than the clear hole Comstock and Robert Lutece use in the flashback. Thats why you get the 'Living/Dead' freakouts. Booker and Liz seem to be unchanged by this process, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 
Bad Girl

So, are we at that stage where we can have a moan about this then?

Hear we go.

The world is lovely but the textures are a bit washed out when you’re close up.

Liz is nice but the rest of the characters suffer from the same problem as Bioshock: you either never see them or their actions (or barely see them) and, as such, the characterisation is poorly handled.

Now you might disagree with this as the ancillary characters and the main protagonist are fleshed out using the medium of the world itself (Comstock), the recordings (just about everyone else) or the occasional voice over a tannoy. I don’t like it though. I don’t mind the recordings per se - I just can’t understand why the people have made those recordings in the first place and shoved them in a corner of a basement. What’s wrong with bumping into the people you’re about to kill? There was no reason that we couldn’t see Slate, say, and it was a bit jarring when I did meet him cause I didn’t really have any feelings about whether to shoot his face off. In fact, I can’t remember why he was laid out on the floor when I did catch up with him? Anyway, here’s where, say, CoD’s stories do actually help build investment in the characters as there’s usually a bit where the baddie meets you and you have an event with them even if they do eventually just run off. You can hear their words clearly, there might be some rapport, you see the face, you recognise the type of person they are from their actions and how they emote. Bioshock could do with more of this.

The vigo(u)rs were actually a bit boring, right? The effect of three of them are the same: water knocks over baddies and stuns them, crows stun them on the spot, the lightning does exactly the same and buckaroo floats them where they’re, y’know, stunned. The most interesting one was possession. The one I barely used was the shield one; and thinking about it, the problem wasn’t that it wasn’t useful, it was that it was a bit bland. I like how you can catch bullets but then you return them as a, well, a ball of light? Boring. The fireball power? Well, we’ve seen that a million times before.

Plus, the combat never once allowed the proper use of the vigors as traps where you lay them on the floor and wait for someone to step into them. There were a few arena battles and only one event (in the theatre) that actually allowed you time to lay some traps up as you waited for the next wave of baddies. But even then you didn’t know where they were coming from. At least in Bioshock, you knew when you had to lay traps in anticipation of a fight. Here, not at all. Plus, you’re always moving forward through the world so you never get familiar with the areas. You revisit none of them. Plus, whilst I’m thinking about it in this large rambling text, when you do arrive at some of the arena battles the baddies are already there! So you can’t lay traps at all since as soon as you get near it’ll all kick off and you’ll just be duking it out.

Thank god for the vigor combo’s or I’d have only stuck with possession and buckaroo throughout.

Plus the enemy AI is weak. Most just charge you, some just shoot at distance, the big baddies just blast and walk towards you ever blasting. There’s little variety to keep it interesting.

And why do we have vigors? And why is Columbia riddled with ammo machines? It’s the one thing that bothered me about the consistency of vision.

And (I’m getting bored typing this out now) why are the arena’s, in the main, so bland. You fight it out in large open arena’s with little elevation or variety. There’s a couple of indoor fights that are just large rectangles with stairs either side. The best arenas are those that have the rails through them which make for some interesting battles as you jump to and from the rails to get elevation or baddies that insist on chipping away at you from a distance. MOAR please. But sadly they were too infrequent for my liking. And the enemy AI made for some uninspired battles anyway...

The very last fight on the battleship was tedious. Oh so very tedious. Song bird was too underused since if you didn’t smash the zeppelins then you got just hammered by bullets. I tried using song bird to clear areas of the decks but there was never enough time. The sniper perch right at the top was useless.

Etc etc etc.

I’m just moaning about the fighting now, right? Yeah, it’s not the best. Still, it’s not the worse either but after you’ve played Dishonoured...

... that reminds me. Dishonoured shows you how to search for meaningless tat in a more interesting way. Remind me why I’m searching bins again?

...where was I, after you’ve played Dishonoured you see how it’s possible to tell a fantastic yarn without having to resort to tired gameplay to fill out the moments when you aren’t telling your story.

Shit, one last thing, the tossing the coin shit was annoying. Sometimes it interrupted dialogue between the two characters! And not just one or two occasions either, enough that I noticed and felt the need to type these words. Why was it in there again? Yeah, throwing ammo over was ok though. She’s got very burly arms.

I’ve bored myself so I’ll just abruptly stop ty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 13:46 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
This sort of nails the problem I have with the game:

http://kotaku.com/the-problem-with-bios ... -468530143

The combat spoils it.

So it means it's Bioshock all over again. I'm glad i gave it a pass.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 23:13 
Paws for thought

Hmmm. Started playing this yesterday. Although it started off ok, the combat has now got very Bioshocky - that is to say, everything is a bullet sink, and very boring to fight against.

And I've got into some arse "Protect the tube" mission, which is a bit shit.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 

Been playing this too, went for the middle difficulty setting and it's been a very enjoyable game so far. Not OMFG 10/10 bum-spaff good, just nice looking and interesting.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 23:05 
Paws for thought

Finished.

So, it turns out the arse tube protection mission was the last actual fighting thing going on.

Ending was... interesting. A bit unconventional for games round these parts. "Aha, you were also the bad guy and now you're dead" wasn't really expecting that. More over, I wasn't expecting that to be the end.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:21 
Goth

Has anyone here bought the physical copy of this? I've sold a few sealed ones and customers say there's no install code in there. Where was it located when you bought it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:38 
Hello Hello Hello

My final thoughts on this game are that it's hugely underwhelming.

In the interests of fairness I should say that it does get better for the second half, and the final third of the game is, in the main, pretty good - but by christ you have to wade through a lot of shit to get to it.

The story does play out well, and the setpieces toward the end are truly dramatic, although the return to Rapture is underwhelming and underused IMO, but just 'being there' again is fantastic. As I posted earlier, I 100% 'spoiled' the game by reading the Wiki plot article for the game upfront, and I honestly think it makes the game a lot BETTER if you know where it's going and why it's going there - in fact without that drive to see the story play out I doubt I'd have even finished it.

I absolutely can't forgive the save system (or lack of it), there were a couple of bits I thought 'Oh I'd rather like to do that again and try something different', but I couldn't, there were a couple of bits where I knew I'd kind of fluked my way through rather than performed well, that I wanted to try again, but I couldn't.

There was one bit where I triggered a significant event at the same time that my daughter started crying upstairs, by the time I got back downstairs it'd all played out and autosaved again, so I missed the whole fucking thing. Thanks, Ken. (IIRC it wouldn't let me pause 'cause it was already in 'autoplay' mode.)

For more detailed criticisms Ian's post here mostly nails it - viewtopic.php?p=758807#p758807

However, combat wise, the lame combo I found that was basically a 'win game' button with vigors/gear was the charge and set things on fire move. I can't remember the exact set up but it was the Charge Vigor, with a Hat piece of gear that had a 70% chance to set enemies on fire, another piece of gear that had a chance to spread the flames to other enemies, and the other pieces of gear complimented this approach (more speed, or extra stuns, and charge uses less salts, or something).

Anyway, once I'd latched onto this setup the game became borderline ridiculous, especially with all the extra salts and shields and health I had, to the extent that I could simply fucking ram into enemies (and large groups of them at that) almost with impunity. Yeah a couple of things are immune to charge but I had a maxed out shotgun that made short work of even the toughest foes.

The combat in the game was basically a bit crap from start to finish, never satisfying, frequently annoying, and then totally trivial once I'd sorted out the build outlined above - it reminded me a bit of WoW where players would latch onto a massively overpowered character build and Blizzard would have to balance the game to get rid of it, except here of course no such thing has or will happen.

I also had multiple problems with dialogue overlapping, as Ian mentioned, to the extent that characters would be talking over each other or background dialogue would take precedence over important story details, even subtitles didn't help 'cause the subs would frequently pick the 'wrong' thing to show subs for.

The guns were all mostly crap and because you can't afford to upgrade everything once you've pimped out a couple of guns you're effectively knobbling yourself if you use anything else.

TBH I've kind of forgotten a lot of the details of stuff I didn't like about this game 'cause I finished it a couple of months ago and have felt absolutely no desire whatsoever to return to it in any way, shape or form. I bought the Season Pass so I suppose I'm duty bound to at least give the DLC a try when it comes around, but unlike with Dishonored where as soon as I finished the campaign I bought the Knife of Dunwall DLC and dived straight into it - it'll be a genuine effort to install and play the Bioshock Infinite DLC. (Unless it's a lot better than the main game was.)

Final bitch? Booker and Elizabeth aren't very good characters, Elizabeth for all the fuss that was made about her is frequently little more than a clichéd useless damsel in distress who happens to be very good at finding guns and ammunition up her skirt and also flipping coins at you RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF REALLY IMPORTANT OTHER STUFF THAT'S HAPPENING. Booker I never connected with at all, he'd have worked better as a silent protagonist like Corvo in Dishonored, except then he wouldn't have been able to do the various pieces of dreary exposition he was lumbered with throughout the game.

I'd peg it at maybe 6/10, and it'd be a lot less than that but for the final third of the game which I did enjoy. Massively worse than Dishonored which is a straight 9/10 (that only drops down from a 10/10 because it goes off the boil a little bit towards the end).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 
Excellent Member

It's very underwhelming and pales in comparison to, for example, The Last Of Us.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 19:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Four_Candles wrote:
It's very underwhelming and pales in comparison to, for example, The Last Of Us.

/counts PS3s I own.... Yep, still zero..... :D

Still, the PS4 is already a shoe-in for the next-gen of console purchases so hopefully I'll get chance to sample Naughty Dog's output then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 20:25 
Hello Hello Hello

£17.49 in the Steam summer sale at the moment, personally I'd say it's still about £7.50 too much - anything over a tenner and I'd feel aggrieved about my expense on this game.

I'm certainly kicking myself for buying the fucking season pass at top dollar since I'm pretty much duty-bound to slog my way through the DLC when it arrives.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 20:32 

It might not surprise you to learn that I think AE is wrong. BI is great. However, it's also £15 at GreenManGaming.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 23:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It might not surprise you to learn that I think AE is wrong. BI is great. However, it's also £15 at GreenManGaming.

I know it's not comparing apples with apples, but how you would you rate BI against Dishonored? (I see you've played Dishonored through from its thread).

DISHONORED - I've done a complete low chaos playthrough of the main game, a complete high chaos playthrough of the main game, a low chaos playthrough of the DLC, currently doing my high chaos playthrough of the DLC and if it weren't the fact I'd already got the last season pass DLC for Borderlands 2 ready to go, I'd be getting a bit anxious about what I was going to play next because the only way is down.

BIOSHOCK INFINITE - Detailed in this thread, but I would re-iterate that the game does get a lot better in the second half and dials up to 'pretty good' for the final third or so, but I absolutely cannot forgive that inexplicable decision for it to NOT LET ME SAVE MY GAME WHEN I WANT TO. What's the point of having this glorious toolbox of weapons and powers and arenas if the game just conveyor belts you through the whole fucking thing? (Dishonored 'feels' similar to BI in terms of the 'weapons and powers and arenas' side of things, but has far more in the way of exploration and variety opportunities, and far less in the way of shitty wooden characters spouting crap exposition at you. And you can always just go back to a save and have another go if you want to try something different.)

I played BI to the end and I was genuinely glad to get it over with, yes it did soar at times with the story and the cinematics and all that guff, but I can watch a goddamn film for that shit, Dishonored just lets me get on with playing a game, and a bloody good one at that.

BI almost felt like a bad FPS game getting in the way of a potentially good story, whereas Dishnored is a fantastic game that tells a decent story along the way, and made me care more about the characters too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 17:24 
Hello Hello Hello

So the first DLC for Bioshock Infinite is here and it's a fucking wave-based arena FPS challenge shitathon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... uds-review

The single worst thing about the game (the lamentable combat), and that's what the first DLC is focused entirely on. Even the Eurogamer reviewer can't summon up much enthusiasm for it.

WOOHOO THANK FUCK I BOUGHT THE SEASON PASS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 17:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Better stuff coming, though:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... =net-daily

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 17:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:

£50 says that whatever they do with Rapture in Infinite, it won't be as good as the original Bioshock.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 22:13 
EvilTrousers

Late the the party as ever but I just finished this.

It was fucking brilliant. I don't have a problem with the combat at all - I really like the imprecise sort of clunky combat that encourages you to experiment. I've played this directly after Black Ops 2 and it offers a great contrast to that surgical kind of fps gameplay.

I found bucking bronco and a shotgun a useful combo but played with all the vigors because they were invariably a lot of fun.

The story kept me intrigued throughout and the ending left me with a little chill.

Overall as you would expect -I award it AE=wrong / 10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 0:50 
Hibernating Druid

Oh my GOD.

I fell off my Dinosaur when I finished this game.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:
Late the the party as ever but I just finished this.

It was fucking brilliant. I don't have a problem with the combat at all - I really like the imprecise sort of clunky combat that encourages you to experiment. I've played this directly after Black Ops 2 and it offers a great contrast to that surgical kind of fps gameplay.

I found bucking bronco and a shotgun a useful combo but played with all the vigors because they were invariably a lot of fun.

The story kept me intrigued throughout and the ending left me with a little chill.

Overall as you would expect -I award it AE=wrong / 10

Trousers = Cunt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 
Hello Hello Hello

In fact as well as Trousers being a cunt, DID YOU NOT READ ALL THE SHIT THAT'S WRONG WITH THIS GAME? It's not just me who thinks so but Ian and Mr Candles as well and plenty of other commentators out there.

You can totally break the entire combat mechanic (what there is of it) with the gear loadout I detailed above, you CAN'T SAVE YOUR FUCKING GAME, the characters are shit and the story, whilst good, isn't nearly as good as it thinks it is.

BI is the fucking Tarantino of the games world, it's nowhere near as clever or interesting as it thinks it is. It's like fucking Django Unchained in game form - padded out with shit and largely dull characters that waffle on for fucking ages about nothing.

I was genuinely glad to get to the end of it just so I could uninstall it, whereas I reluctantly uninstalled Dishonored once I'd done everything there was to do, including high and low chaos playthroughs of the main campaign and all the DLCs.

The idea that I'd play BI again just to try different stuff is laughable, and even then there's always the chance you'd trip some kind of fucking autosave that'd then prevent you from going back and trying one of the better bits again.

They did patch in a warning screen on the PC version about how progress would be lost and stuff due to the shit save mechanics, which is a tacit admission that it's shit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

But just because something has some bits that are broken it doesn't mean that people can't enjoy it.

Like your mum.

Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next