Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 14:08 
Excellent Member

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
after the episode ended I felt slightly disappointed for not having one of those wtf moments that breaking bad excels at. But the more I think about the more convinced I am that it was a fitting finale. Walter scene with skylar and holly almost made me cry.
I'm really sad that we won't see another show of this magnificence so soon.

I've started watching the new season of boardwalk empire but it's been kinda boring. Everything is boring compared to breaking bad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 14:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Watch The West Wing. Or CNN, as it's otherwise known.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 14:49 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
Watch The West Wing.

:this:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 14:52 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
Cras wrote:
Watch The West Wing.

I don't care for political dramas. I tried to watch house of cards and but i lost interest just after 2 episodes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 15:04 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Cras wrote:
Watch The West Wing.

I don't care for political dramas. I tried to watch house of cards and but i lost interest just after 2 episodes.

That exact idea is what stopped me watching it for years, but characterising it simply as 'a political drama' does it a massive disservice. You don't need to know or care about politics going in (I certainly didn't) and to a great degree it's just the wrapping for the best ensemble entertainment you'll ever see. The quality of the writing/acting transcends that wrapping and will either massively succeed in making you give a shit about the politics (if only in as much as they effect the characters) or at least stop you caring that you're watching something with political themes simply in order to follow the stories. The whole thing's massively character driven basically and the same people would be just as watchable if the setting was a garden centre is Scunthorpe.

ETA: It's also worth noting that it's not as po-faced as something like House of Cards and is probably one of the funniest shows I've ever watched that wasn't a straight sitcom.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 16:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

An almost predictable ending really. Everything wrapped up pretty much as you thought it would be, no surprises.

Also, House of Cards, totally awesome, can recommend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 16:41 
baron of techno

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
An almost predictable ending really. Everything wrapped up pretty much as you thought it would be, no surprises.

True enough. It was a bit of a feelgood ending really. Still, I'll take that!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:27 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Spanish Language remake set in Columbia has already been made. While initially it looked like a spoof this is supposedly really happening.

So the answer to the question "What do I watch now Breaking Bad has finished?" is "Watch it again but now with subtitles"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 21:52 

Slight spoilers in there

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 
Master of dodgy spelling....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... ad+t+shirt

going to have to get one of these

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 21:48 
Time Out for Fun

DVDs are bit rubbish to me now but this is pretty swish.

Complete Boxset

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 18:13 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Alternative ending to the season leaked...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... video.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 18:17 

My dad has leant me several Breaking Bad boxsets a few weeks ago. And has gone on about the show for the last six months. Not had the enthusiasm to watch it yet, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 18:34 

You should. I started watching it from the beginning a few weeks ago, I'm now just 2 episodes into series 4, and I've not seen a bad episode yet and have been utterly gripped for the entire run so far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 18:43 

Morte wrote:
Alternative ending to the season leaked...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... video.html

Heh. Brilliant!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 20:23 
Worst

Quote:
Update, Nov. 18: The video has been taken off of YouTube. We’ll restore it here if an official version appears online.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 20:01 
Hibernating Druid

Watched the last one last night. What a fucking brilliant show. Feel there's a little gap in me now it's all over.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 20:24 

Yeah, I felt a bit like that when I watched the last episode. What great TV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 22:17 
Bad Girl

I've just watched the end of season 4! Yay me!

But, why, oh why, does this thread start with season 5 talk ON PAGE TWO! That's 14 pages I can't bloody read until I've watched the next season. Gits.

Also, good this init?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 22:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:

But, why, oh why, does this thread start with season 5 talk ON PAGE TWO! That's 14 pages I can't bloody read until I've watched the next season. Gits.

Also, good this init?

Off the top of my head this thread is very well spoilered so you should be safe to read in that regard, but yeah probably not much point either.

I've tried to get into various other series since Breaking Bad finished and in all honesty I've been forced to conclude it really is one of a kind in its brilliance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 22:48 
Bad Girl

Malcolm in the Middle dad really is a spectacularly good actor ain't he? And not only him, everyone gives an oscar quality acting master class in almost every scene.

There's one scene (series 3 or 4 I think) where Walt gets sleepy (oh, the fly episode, I think) which was marvellous. Over the course of 5 minutes he goes from awake to very sleepy without over acting or doing anything to give the game away that this is a telly programme. And the camera is, at times, right up in his face so he's got nowhere to hide. I thought it was utterly fabulous.

Jesse too has risen from daft idiot character within a couple of episodes to have some awesome scenes. He's a tremendous little actor and, bizarrely, the moral compass for some of the show.

My only concern is that it seems to me to have a story arc similar to The Shield and season 3 was The Money Train, season 4 was Forester Whitaker and season 5 will probably, when I watch it, be Shane gets a grenade in the car. The Shield was awesome too; back in the day y'know...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 22:54 

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Also, good this init?

Off the top of my head this thread is very well spoilered so you should be safe to read in that regard, but yeah probably not much point either.

I've tried to get into various other series since Breaking Bad finished and in all honesty I've been forced to conclude it really is one of a kind in its brilliance.

Well you're on a hiding to nothing if you're looking for something that's as good but there's loads of ace telly series to enjoy. We're pretty spoiled these days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 22:59 
Bad Girl

Also, and I don't want to over think it because it's been ace, but wasn't the bomb on the wheelchair on the opposite side of Gus' skeletal face?

And yes, it was a daft death sequence. Daft and silly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 23:32 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
The Shield was awesome too; back in the day y'know...

The Shield was fucking amazing from start to finish and nowhere near as well-known as it deserved to be in my opinion. The way they just kept escalating things time after time made for some of the best TV drama I've ever seen. Also: while there are other shows that are better overall it still gets the prize for best ending of any show ever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 0:25 

Saturnalian wrote:
Also, and I don't want to over think it because it's been ace, but wasn't the bomb on the wheelchair on the opposite side of Gus' skeletal face?

Nope.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 0:39 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
The Shield was awesome too; back in the day y'know...

The Shield was fucking amazing from start to finish and nowhere near as well-known as it deserved to be in my opinion. The way they just kept escalating things time after time made for some of the best TV drama I've ever seen. Also: while there are other shows that are better overall it still gets the prize for best ending of any show ever.

Totally agree about the ending (and it being amazing of course - top ten telly series for me. Along with Dawson's Creek seasons 1-3 of course). The sight of a fat Mackey sat at his desk with not a friend in the world was the ending nobody wanted and I bloody loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 0:42 
Bad Girl

GazChap wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Nope.

You sure? I haven't long watched it. I thought it was near the right wheel and the burn was to the right side of his face - and they were facing each other so it should have been the opposite side.

(Anyway, it doesn't really matter. It's just something that immediately sprung to mind at the time)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 13:22 
Bad Girl

I think I'm episode 13/14 of season 5 which was FRICKIN' AWESUMZALUMALUMADINGDONG.

That bit with the red necks? Yeah, reet good.

But y'know, I've been a tiny bit disappointed by this season despite the awesomeness. Walt's new persona as The Don doesn't really allow him to stretch his obviously talented talents. He ponces about pretending to be hard which, let's be fair, any comedy villian could do just as well.

Mind you, Jesse gets a shine (he can play loony, brilliantly) but since he's not getting much screen time then we're left with too much Walt.

And it's all filmed differently right? I mean, it might have a more sombre tone but Walt's house is regularly filmed with little sunlight coming through. Turn the bloody lights on people.

And everyone has started to whisper. ALL THE TIME. And I know it's not my internet copy because it was a Blu-ray rip that was super nice quality and the louds are normal noise-level, talking is normal noise level but the whispering is barely audible. Maybe it's because I'm getting old.

And I'm not entirely happy with the change in Skylar from season 4 to 5. She's up for some gangsta sheeeeet but then she's quiet, sullen and plotting within the space of a week? Her reaction is too sudden for those people who watched 4 and went straight into 5 - like me. Yes, make TV programmes with me in mind Television executive guys or I'll mess you up good and proper. Anyway, it could have easily ended at season 4 and I'd have been happy but this is pretty good stuff too notwithstanding other comments that I have that might indicate otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:10 
Excellent Member

Overall I was pretty disappointed with season 5 (both 'halves') - the Nazis were incredibly boring and two dimensional. Overall the writing, plotting and character development was also rather lacking.

There were a couple of good episodes and some very good moments, but on the whole I was pretty unimpressed. So much so that I wish it had ended at season 4.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:41 
Bad Girl

Apparently I can read up to page 14 of this thread now.

Oh, y'know who I thought was utterly brilliant so far: Todd.

Todd is a pure psychopath. He's probably the scariest thing in the whole series.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 14:49 

Four_Candles wrote:
Overall I was pretty disappointed with season 5 (both 'halves') - the Nazis were incredibly boring and two dimensional. Overall the writing, plotting and character development was also rather lacking.

There were a couple of good episodes and some very good moments, but on the whole I was pretty unimpressed. So much so that I wish it had ended at season 4.

I don't. It probably was the weakest series but it was still better than pretty much everything else that's ever been on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 16:08 
Excellent Member

I didn't mind the nazis, but the last episode was very underwhelming. It all felt very much a deus ex machina to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 16:47 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Four_Candles wrote:

I don't. It probably was the weakest series but it was still better than pretty much everything else that's ever been on.

I'll agree with you there it's just that, for me, it wasn't up to the very high quality of seasons 1 to 4.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 14:42 
Bad Girl

ENDED!

The last two episodes were really good although I though the finale with entirely predictable when you knew where he was going and that he had the gun on a motor. None of that made it any less engaging and it was, perhaps, quite refreshing for a telly programme that it was wrapped up so neatly and just allowed you to watch and enjoy the performances.

I thought Walt had a really good return to form in the last, what, 4 episodes or so? He was desperate, lonely and deathly sad and clocked in a great performance. It was a shame that Jesse took such a back burner to Walt's story so when we learn Jesse's spent months held captive with no chance of escape that I couldn't feel the desperation in his performance. I wanted the manical laugh as he's driving away to go on longer.

... I suppose I just didn't want it to end really. There were lots of great moments: Walt looking over his babby; the camera angle when Skylar is on the phone to her sister which obscures Walt's presence; not wanted to cut the deck of cards, and so on.

Great TV.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 14:44 
Bad Girl

Also, I've a question: It's never revealed anywhere in the programme but does anyone know of the reason why he kept the teddy bear's eye?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 14:47 

Saturnalian wrote:
Also, I've a question: It's never revealed anywhere in the programme but does anyone know of the reason why he kept the teddy bear's eye?

Was that the one from the plane?

Could it be because he caused the air crash?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 14:49 
Bad Girl

Yeah, but I was wondering whether there was a deeper meaning behind it that might have come from the makers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 20:53 
Hibernating Druid

He couldn't bear to see it go.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:59 
EvilTrousers

Zardoz wrote:
He couldn't bear to see it go.

EYE SEE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 13:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Good interview with Cranston in The Guardian today, he does come over as a very decent bloke.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... lter-white

And here he is advertising pile cream!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 16:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 0:32 
Noob as of 6/8/10

The Preparation H ad is the less embarrassing of those two.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 17:38 
UltraMod

Watched all of this in the last 6 weeks or so. Jesus.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 18:17 

American Nervoso wrote:
Watched all of this in the last 6 weeks or so. Jesus.

Yup. Good wasn't it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 0:45 
SavyGamer

I guess it is worth posting that Breaking Bad is definitely worth a rewatch if you've only seen it once.

It's littered with bits early on that are so much funnier when you know where it ends up. Plenty of extra detail to notice, connections to spot, and you can pinpoint many significant moments in Walt's growth/decay/transformation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:29 
Hello Hello Hello

I can see myself watching Breaking Bad again, probably above watching anything new TBH. I've tried to get into a couple of TV series since watching BB (including some that are very highly regarded), and inevitably within a handful of episodes I find myself thinking, 'This is alright, but it's no Breaking Bad'.

The other problem is a lot of series go on way past the point where they should have naturally ended, because they're raking in the money so they just keep on making them.

BB however came to the perfect end, some have made the argument that Season 4 could have been the last, but I think Season 5 wrapped everything up perfectly, and Vince Gilligan was very clear he wasn't going to stretch it out past the point where he felt Walt's story came to an end.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:45 
SavyGamer

Only TV that is close to Breaking Bad for me since has been True Detective and Hannibal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 16:36 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've just watched the finale of this after cramming the whole series into the last couple of months. I guess this means I can stop watching TV now as I'll never see anything as good as Breaking Bad again.

Amazing telly... I loved it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 16:50 

It is great.. Although the walking dead is filling my void

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 18:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next