PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 15:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I do that all the time though...

Post subject: Re: Gaming Magazines
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 16:31 
Skillmeister

Yeah, that's because yowm on the rob.

In other news I've just completed my Crash collection.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 16:48 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
I do that all the time though...

That's called a perk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 16:50 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Dimrill wrote:

I seem to remember them getting pretty small and rubbish towards the end. I also seem to remember some awful attempts at "comedy" columns - a hilarious comedy taxi driver springs to mind...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:29 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Possibly Trenton Webb:

Aah, that's amazing. Looks like they just ran out of time and money for some cover art, and just took a quick snap of a colleague at work in the office. Something very endearing about the naive amateurishness of magazines from that era.

(Nice to see that durge.org site is still going incidentally, first found it 12 years ago when dabbling in CPC emulation.)

Speaking of Future magazines, I found some old Edges the other day, from the magazine's imperial phase of late 1995-98. The production values of Edge during that time were amazing - the presentation was like an actual book, and an over-designed one with too many expensive bespoke fonts at that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:20 
Skillmeister

Squirt wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

I seem to remember them getting pretty small and rubbish towards the end. I also seem to remember some awful attempts at "comedy" columns - a hilarious comedy taxi driver springs to mind...

Oh yeah, deffo. It were dead ratty from the mid-70s to the end at 98. Cost me a fiver to get 97, my last gap. There's a few that are missing their centre pages, so I'll pick those up for pennies when they come up, hopefully.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 13:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dimrill wrote:

What's the "complete" mags tally now?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 14:55 
Skillmeister

I've only got complete Ameger Powur, Yowm Sinclair, Arcade, Edge, NGC, Retro Gamer and The Games Machine. Piddly pissings of lots of others. Closest to completion are: 5 issues off complete Zzap, 9 off PC Zone, 23 off PC Gamer, 1 off Mean Machines, 5 off Zero, 1 off GamesTIM(!), 12 off Super Play, 2 off Raze. Ploink.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 19:07 
Skillmeister

Looks like the latest round of lay-offs at Future will be affecting PC Gamer. We might be witnessing its last days, at least as a British mag.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 13:50 

Had a bit of a tidy up at the weekend & got a load of Game TM, Edge & PC Gamer magazines to either find a new home or take a trip to the recycling centre.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 13:59 
Skillmeister

HEllo! HELLO!

I'm after ish40 of GamesTIM(!) if you've got it.

PC Gamer I'm after 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19, 34, 39, 40 , 43, 57, 94 , 108, 119, 129, 132, 244, 245, 246, 247, 250, 255 & 256

I like the smell of paper in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 14:00 

I have just emailed that list to myself & will check for you this evening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 14:01 
Skillmeister

Awes. I can flang pence via electric if you have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 17:30 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I sent this email to John "outraged by anything to do with females" Walker in '05:

Quote:
Hey, I have issues 61 (oct 98) to 132 (feb 04) missing issues
84,85,86,90,93,94,95,97,98,100,101 .

For reference, issue 92 is Jan 01. So I'm only missing 84, 85 , 86 and
90 that are of interest to you. So, how can I help? :)

Of course I couldn't help as someone else gave them him first. Still: I could help you, if they weren't all in the bin as of 5 years ago.

HA. I just felt like taunting. Also: What's issue 94, as we both didn't have it. Was it special?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 17:34 
Skillmeister

No idea. March 2001 is the date, apaprnetpasnltly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 17:43 
Unpossible!

Did it have a hand grenade on the cover?

Post subject: Gaming Magazines
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 20:07 

Dimrill wrote:
HEllo! HELLO!

I'm after ish40 of GamesTIM(!) if you've got it.

PC Gamer I'm after 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19, 34, 39, 40 , 43, 57, 94 , 108, 119, 129, 132, 244, 245, 246, 247, 250, 255 & 256

I like the smell of paper in the morning.

Just checked sorry don't have those issues.

[..getting old & still playing video games..]

http://www.gospvg.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 20:14 
Skillmeister

bugger bums.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 18:55 
Skillmeister

Shock and more shock, the new Retro Gamer (120) is actually quite good. Shadowrun, Myth, Earthworm Jim, Access Software, Oddworld and The Sims balance out the shite of the continuing "list a gaming mascot with a shite short paragraph" article, and Paul Davis' column about games mags.

Guess what's next month though. Go on.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
ZELDA! FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 18:57 
Skillmeister

Oh, and it looks like if you're a subscriber you now get your inbox shitted up on a monthly basis with Darren sending you two paragraphs of words about the other two paragraphs of words in the magazine. Maybe he ought to read how to do subs letters well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 21:25 
Excellent Member

Dimrill wrote:
Shock and more shock, the new Retro Gamer (120) is actually quite good. Shadowrun, Myth, Earthworm Jim, Access Software, Oddworld and The Sims balance out the shite of the continuing "list a gaming mascot with a shite short paragraph" article, and Paul Davis' column about games mags.

Guess what's next month though. Go on.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
ZELDA! FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

And even if i kinda like zelda, it's not (notwithstanding the fact that the series has been debated to death) a game series that evokes interesting articles and discussions. I think this happens with most japanese games, since with western games, but particularly european ones, there are much more interesting stories behind the scenes and the creators are usually more acessible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 21:36 
Skillmeister

They couldn't even scrape together anything interesting to put in the Hyrule Historia book. Opted for huge screenshots / art assets instead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 

Oh true, that book was so lacking in actual substance it was untrue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:59 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Very US biased and will probably be more about their retro scene than anything else but an impressive list of writers and not too bad a price for the digital version if the kickstarter works

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soc ... game-magaz

Quote:
WELCOME TO RETRO by GameGavel: Do you long for the great video gaming magazines from back in the day? Magazines with some heart and soul, and not all the high brow big media fluff? We thought so and that is why video game auction site GameGavel.com and the RetroGamingRoundup.com podcast are teaming up with some of the most popular and influential gaming journalists and personalities from the past three decades and introducing a new high quality, feature rich, video gaming magazine that will harken back to the amazing magazines from the 80's and 90's.

RETRO will be a magazine you will want to own and keep forever as part of your gaming collections. RETRO will be offered in BOTH digital and print editions and published bi-monthly starting January 2014. Backers will receive the Premier Issue this December! Each issue will be a minimum of 52-pages, utilize only 4-pages of ads and will feature high quality gloss print and thick stock cover. And ALL PRINT subscriptions will include the digital enhanced versions free!

$12 will get you 6 editions of it (if it hits funding) digitally - there are physical options but i assume they are going to be very expensive for international shipping

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 22:15 
Chinny chin chin

Life at Commodore Format (with mentions of AA and YS) during the end times - https://m.facebook.com/notes/commodore-format/exclusive-content-the-simon-forrester-interview/349351755209408

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 21:33 
Chinny chin chin

Just found some actual sales figures for Amtix. When it merged with Computing With The Amstrad, CWTA had an editorial welcoming Amtix readers. It specifically welcomes 18,000 Amtix readers.

No wonder Newsfield wanted rid. To put in perspective at that time ACU was shifting 65,000 copies, Amstrad Action 40,000 and CWTA also 40,000.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:54 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Its been online only for ages and no-one really reads it but the BBC think its worth putting a story up about the possible closure of C&VG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27486867

Quote:
Computer and Video Games online magazine facing closure

Computer and Video Games (CVG), which in 1981 was the world's first magazine dedicated to gaming, is facing closure.

The title, which has been online-only since 2004, may stop publishing at the end of a 45-day consultation period that began on 14 May, sources said.

However, its publishers Future are also believed to be looking into selling off the brand.

The magazine is behind the gaming industry's Golden Joystick Awards, a yearly event held since 1983.

In a statement, Future said: "We are currently exploring various options around how to evolve the CVG brand in particular and the market leading Future Games portfolio in general, in order to keep successfully meeting the needs of our consumers."
'Everything changed'

The first issue, published in November 1981, billed itself as the "first fun computer magazine" and cost 75p.

Its cover story was about Space Invaders, while a competition gave readers the chance to win a Vic computer, an 8-bit home computer made by Commodore.

The monthly magazine stopped publishing in 2004, with the focus turning to its website which had been up-and-running since 1999.

In 2008, Future re-launched the printed magazine as a bi-monthly title, but it stopped publishing in 2009.

As well as CVG, Future also owns other prominent gaming brands, including GamesRadar and PC Gamer.

Future recently launched a separate games website, Kotaku UK - a localised version of the already established Kotaku gaming news site owned by US firm Gawker Media.

Veteran games journalist Rik Henderson, from Pocket-Lint, said if CVG is closed it will be missed by many.

"Everything in video gaming changed when CVG first hit the shelves," the former GamesMaster presenter said.

"Everything else around that time was either a dedicated machine-specific magazine, or there were small games sections in general computing magazines.

"There was nothing really saying 'look at this world of gaming'."
'Big legacy'

Early issues of the magazine were seen as being instrumental in helping small-time games developers to get their titles out there, said Mr Henderson - a trend that he thought was beginning to re-emerge as apps and mobile gaming have taken off.

But he argued that in a global, online publishing market, the brand's strength did not extend far enough.

"Something had to give," he said.

"Future have quite a portfolio of games websites, but everyone's fighting for a very small pot of advertising.

"CVG does really well - but it just didn't fit in that portfolio."

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 20:31 
Skillmeister

This year's ZZap!64 annual Kickstarter is up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47 ... this-again

The last two Crashes and last year's Zzap were excellent.

Reply to topic  [ 1028 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21