Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Xcom UFO Defence
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 18:33 

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
play through the game without anyone dying should be my goal.

Does not compute.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 18:46 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
play through the game without anyone dying should be my goal.

Does not compute.

Is that impossible? I never did the original X-Coms, they just sort of passed me by, I was well into my Playstation at the time and hadn't really got into PC gaming, even though I had a PC, it wasn't up to gaming. I could have got it on the Amiga I suppose, but Civilisation/Colonisation were my strategy favs on that.

It's bizarre in a way, 'cause I loved Laser Squad (which was the forerunner to the X-Coms) back in the 8-bit days, but never followed them through to the X-Coms, I have no idea why.

Anyway, so I'm basically setting myself on mission impossible if I try to complete the game with any of my soldiers dying?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 19:25 

Anyway, so I'm basically setting myself on mission impossible if I try to complete the game with any of my soldiers dying?

It's not impossible, but it would certainly be a) frustrating, and b) not really what the game is about. The whole point of the X-COM games is that losing men and failing missions is expected. You can pull the game back and win it from seemingly hopeless situations, so it doesn't matter if you lose occasionally.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 19:31 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:

It's not impossible, but it would certainly be a) frustrating, and b) not really what the game is about. The whole point of the X-COM games is that losing men and failing missions is expected. You can pull the game back and win it from seemingly hopeless situations, so it doesn't matter if you lose occasionally.

Ahhh, I see, that makes sense. Cheers :)

Maybe I should press on with the campaign I've got in progress then, I just hate the feeling of knowing I've completely fucked a mission up, lost my best soldiers, seen a panic level increase and so on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 19:40 

Well, apparently, it is harder to "pull it back from the brink" in the new one simply because the panic levels increase so rapidly, but certainly in principle you shouldn't worry too much about losing soldiers and missions.

It'd be like expecting World War II to have ended with no allied casualties.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 20:04 
Rude Belittler

I had no interest in this. Then I played the 360 demo. #bugger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 20:25 
Honey Boo Boo

GazChap wrote:
apparently, it is harder to "pull it back from the brink" in the new one simply because the panic levels increase so rapidly

If only you had more than one transport ship!

Quote:
It'd be like expecting World War II to have ended with no allied casualties.

"The Axis are invading Europe, North Africa and the Pacific Islands! Where do you want to send your sole troopship, General?" ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 20:29 
Gogmagog

How can someone be "mortally wounded with a long recovery time"?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 20:32 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:

Magic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 23:45 

Reincarnation?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 0:20 
Hello Hello Hello

I think it was just a 'serious wound' or 'critical wound' or suchlike, either way recovery time was like 18 days or something.

'Mortally wounded' had a nice ring to it though, motherfucker that comes back from that is seriously hardcore.

Dictionary breaking hardcore. Which is the best type.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 
Hello Hello Hello

http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2012/10/xco ... 7s+Blog%29

Quote:
I have an unusual recommendation to make. If you should try out XCOM: Enemy Unknown, try the following settings for your first game: Easy difficulty level, and under Advanced Options select Enable Ironman. If you played a lot of the original XCOM and many tactical games since, you might try Normal and Ironman, but for most people I'd recommend Easy. By enabling Ironman, and thus not being able to constantly save and reload when things go wrong, you will get a real sense of consequences. And using a lower difficulty level instead of the "hidden" way of making the game much easier with saves and reloads will make your first game a lot less frustrating. You can work your way up from that afterwards.

XCOM is a game about consequences. A game about interesting decisions. And the only way to make decisions interesting is to offer the possibility for any decision to turn out to be wrong, and to have negative consequences. XCOM is a great game for that, but for people who weren't around when games like that were made in the early 90's, that can be a bit of a shock. If you are too cocky, especially in the first game where you don't understand all the strategic impacts of your decisions yet, you can easily end up with a "game lost" instead of a "game won" screen. There aren't many games around these days that have an actual loss condition, unless you play against other players. Even more shocking: While some negative consequences are a result of bad decisions, sometimes you lose a soldier just by bad luck. It is interesting to read on the internet how many people have a problem with that concept.

There are two major parts to XCOM: Enemy Unknown: The first is a strategic part, where you plan the defense of Earth against the aliens. Resources are scarce, and you need to make sure that you have both adequate means to detect and shoot down UFOs, and to battle aliens with your soldiers. The latter is the second part, a turn-based tactical game. There are tons of different maps, and different scenarios, from alien abductions, rescue missions, capturing a downed UFO, to invasions of an enemy base. The strategy part looks a lot simpler, but is in fact somewhat more devious: Bad decisions can have strong consequences several hours of gameplay down the road. Thus my recommendation to learn about strategy and consequences on Easy Ironman.

XCOM currently has a Metacritic score of 89, which is unusually high for a turn-based tactical game. Especially since it isn't without flaws: The tutorial sucks with too much hand-holding, which is unfortunate because that is what you get to play if you download the demo. The character animations in the cut-scenes aren't great. And the free move the aliens get when you spot them gives them a rather unfair advantage. But compared to other turn-based tactical games that have come out this decade on the PC, XCOM is probably the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:25 
Rude Belittler

I bought this off Steam (urghhh... the nerdlinger stink won't come off... it won't!) and I'm enjoying it. Dimrill is my squad leader, with his huge weapon, Grim... is my cold sniper. Craster and Jasmine are support. Myoptika is my shotgun wielding maniac, who is feeling a little poorly due to coming this close ( ) to dying when we assaulted our first downed UFO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:47 
Excellent Member

Bought from Game and am installing now. Bafflingly Disc 2 says, "For sale in India only."

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:58 
Master of dodgy spelling....

NervousPete wrote:
Bought from Game and am installing now. Bafflingly Disc 2 says, "For sale in India only."

How much was it from Game?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:58 
Hello Hello Hello

KovacsC wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

How much was it from Game?

3500 rupees.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:04 

I have only seen the steam price in Euros... :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:14 
Excellent Member

£30. 'Includes Elite Soldier pack'.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:22 

I might have to get it on payday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:27 
Excellent Member

About to play it now, woot! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:39 

Between this, Dishonored, Retro City Rampage and Hotline Miami, my bank account is going to be mullered this month.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 15:53 
Rude Belittler

RIP 'Magic Man' Craster. Got mullered by a Muton.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:12 
Excellent Member

Just finished my first containment facility after about four tutorialish missions. The tutorial hand-holdy nature vanishes about half way through the second mission, but helpful advice is offered instead and it becomes pretty much the standard game it seems. I'm playing on Ironman-Easy, like AE's quote suggested. Lost no one except the three belm's in the first mission so far, so hurrah! *Knock on wood.*

I'm wondering what to name my people, since Beex-member names have been taken in this thread already. I'm figuring for the Guys I'll have classic sci-fi movie personage names, like Dick Miller, Ray Harryhausen, Robert Picardo, Gene Barry etc. Since there aren't as many lass names for this (for some reason classic sci-fi rations out one woman per book and film, usually) I'll go down the country and appalachian music route for the Gals. All this alongside RL friend names, too.

Although I feel there's something to be said for keeping the default appearence and randomised names. I am getting to love them.

Anyway, pure class so far. I love the music which is a mix between Deus Ex and the awesomely overblown Star Trek reboot trailer score. It's neat beetling around your base too, I love to zoom in and drink in the detail. Meaty's right in it being astoundingly odd that your funds are so low that you have to scratch your chin on how many flak vests to produce, but I can put this aside with some convoluted logic building in my head. Essentially the threat is new, you're an operation jump-started very suddenly with little pre-planning and the nations are more concerned with funding their own armies for defence than helping you out. The low frequency of invasions at the start also explains why your agency is more of a planetary SWAT team than an army.

I never played the original X-Com by the way, so I have no basis for comparison.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I love the cheering in the situation room when our first UFO was shot down. Felt very touched.

So, yes. Loving this so far.

"Let's vote on XCOM being proclaimed ZOMG-GREAT by the Beexers! All those in favour?"

"AYE!"

"All those against?"

"Me."

"Who keeps saying that?"

Camera-whip pans to show diminutive, moustachioed Meaty with sad, droopy eyes, holding his battered pork-pie hat. He points over at the strappingly handsome, lantern jawed, yet faintly bookish Atrocity Exhibition.

"It was him. Let's get him, fellas..."

Look of surprise. Red text flashes at top of screen. "Heretic Detected." Beexers are moved up one by one to surround AE, then one by one 'Pounce' is clicked. Cue jerky animation of a dustcloud and sounds of fists and yelps.

"Heh heh heh."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:19 

Shit, so it's another game for the "have no time" pile, then? The same pile in which the original game is still to be found ... :'(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:37 
Sleepyhead

Fuuuuuuuck!

I have a week at home without the baby, and the original is up terr with my favourite games of all time.

*eyes up already battered credit card*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:42 

So basically I need to get this game then right?

Fucks sake. It's going to be weeks till we have internet in our new flat too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 16:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hmmm.... I want this, but I have borderlands on the go at the moment, and that will easily last me until Forza Horizons.
I'll get it, but lets see if I can actually wait until a steam sale, or will I just do my usual of getting bored and clicking buy even though i'm not going to play it for months...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Because of this thread, I want this now. Would it be easier to play on a PC with a mouse or do the Xbox controls stand up?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:12 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
Because of this thread, I want this now. Would it be easier to play on a PC with a mouse or do the Xbox controls stand up?

Eurogamer face-off says 'All versions fine, PC version best'.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... m-face-off

It does cite better controls on the PC as being a factor, although some folks in the comments are saying they're choosing to use a 360 pad on the PC - so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other really.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:18 

MaliA wrote:

Walt Disney.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:25 
Hello Hello Hello

NervousPete wrote:
Just finished my first containment facility after about four tutorialish missions. The tutorial hand-holdy nature vanishes about half way through the second mission, but helpful advice is offered instead and it becomes pretty much the standard game it seems. I'm playing on Ironman-Easy, like AE's quote suggested. Lost no one except the three belm's in the first mission so far, so hurrah! *Knock on wood.*

I think I'm going to start again on Ironman-Easy rather that carry on with Saves Allowed-Normal, I must confess I did use a save yesterday to go back in time and avoid a fuck-up, and then immediately felt like I'd cheated.

Ironman-Easy sounds like a nice idea, I think I'll do that, and I can skip the tutorial this time as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:26 

I wouldn't play Ironman at the moment, there's a few bugs in the game that can screw you right over through no fault of your own and if you're on Ironman, you're boned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:28 

TheVision wrote:

I'm finding the pad controls to be excellent. No complaints at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:30 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
I wouldn't play Ironman at the moment, there's a few bugs in the game that can screw you right over through no fault of your own and if you're on Ironman, you're boned.

Ahhh right, that doesn't sound good. I suppose I could play just Saves Allowed-Easy and simply never use a save point unless I hit one of the bugs.

What sort of bugs are we talking about?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:32 

What sort of bugs are we talking about?

The most egregious one seems to be a relatively rare instance where aliens can suddenly spawn out of nowhere, at random positions. Not like the missions where aliens (most notably Thin men, it seems) drop from the sky and immediately go on Overwatch, just literally appearing from nowhere.

This often doesn't cause any problems, but for some people they've spawned literally in the middle of their group of units, and then slaughtered them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:34 

I think I may be screwed in my game. I'm doing grand in tactics, but I've failed to recruit enough engineers or loft enough (by which I mean any!) satellites -- and I'm broke, and Africa is panicking, and I think my monthly income is too small to sustain me. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:14 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
The most egregious one seems to be a relatively rare instance where aliens can suddenly spawn out of nowhere, at random positions. Not like the missions where aliens (most notably Thin men, it seems) drop from the sky and immediately go on Overwatch, just literally appearing from nowhere.

Egregious, there's a word you don't hear enough these days.

I'll go for Easy difficulty and just force myself not to use a save, even if I completely fuck something up, therefore an effective Ironman mode, and only use a save if a bug knackers something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:21 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

NervousPete wrote:

I think I'm going to start again on Ironman-Easy rather that carry on with Saves Allowed-Normal, I must confess I did use a save yesterday to go back in time and avoid a fuck-up, and then immediately felt like I'd cheated.

Ironman-Easy sounds like a nice idea, I think I'll do that, and I can skip the tutorial this time as well.

You can change the difficulty in game at any time, I think. I don;t know if you can change to/from Ironman though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 21:38 
Hello Hello Hello

So I used RUN & GUN to get to a tile that's adjacent to a baddy (one of the tall men gimps), he was on Overwatch but he took his shot as soon as I came into view and missed as I'd rather hoped he would, Sgt Britney Spears (nickname 'Emo') then ran right next to him, literally, she could have punched him in the face.

96% chance to hit at point blank range with a shotgun, AND SHE FUCKING MISSED.

Fortunately Cpl Susan Sarandon managed to get line of sight with a move, and then took a 48% chance with a sniper rifle, and hit. (I've got that upgrade that allows me to move and shoot in the same turn with a sniper rifle on her.)

Normally I wouldn't have put Britney or Susan into that sort of dangerous situation, I generally have two or three really good soldiers in my squad, and two or three rookies (current squad size is a maximum of five). The rookies get to do the 'red shirt guy out of Star Trek' stuff, anything that looks a bit dodgy, I send the rookies in.

However, the mission opened up new objectives as I went through it and I found myself having to retrace my steps pretty sharpish as enemies spawned behind me (quite sneaky I thought TBH), therefore the rookies were in completely the wrong place and I had to send dear Britney into harm's way.

I have no idea if this is the right way to do things (try and keep the good soldiers alive and ranking up, let the rookies get wasted), but it appears to be working, I haven't lost any of my original soldiers yet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 21:41 

Obviously if you can avoid it, you should stop the rookies getting wasted - but it's far better to lose a rookie than a Sergeant or other officer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 21:47 
Excellent Member

So I used RUN & GUN to get to a tile that's adjacent to a baddy (one of the tall men gimps), he was on Overwatch but he took his shot as soon as I came into view and missed as I'd rather hoped he would, Sgt Britney Spears (nickname 'Emo') then ran right next to him, literally, she could have punched him in the face.

Jeez, bit cavalier with your men's lives, aren't you?

A trick I like to employ when I know an alien is, or is likely, to be in overwatch is to run a more distant soldier superfluously between cover at a longer range where the odds are very low on a hit. The overwatcher will then waste shots and its overwatch. I then move my rookie in with the stunner and BLAP.

I did this to good effect in Liverpool, even deciding to use a mid-ranked good'un as bait due to the low odds. I reckoned he could have absorbed the hit too.

As for rookies, now I'm up for six crew members I take two in alongside my more seasoned. Whoever gets their first kill in of the two I shall take a little more care with and hold the other back for more Red-Shirt duties, unless they leapfrog in the kill count. This way I hope to get at least one new recruit on the treadmill of promotion every mission.

Speaking of which I lost my first man just now. Eduardo Valdez, from Mexico. He was a can-do spirit, beloved in the mess room for his optimistic humour and his love of old Warner Bros. cartoons. I sent him up to a UFO with a stunner to try to capture one of the strange navigator types, but alas, despite being in cover whilst protected by an overwatched comrade a sectoid managed to survive a volley and fired off three long range shots that hit him in the face. Although Pvt. Valdez achieved no kills on the mission, he showed promise with his bravery and willingness in going into the glistening hold of a crashed UFO.

Rest in peace, Valdez.

Anyway, can't mourn forever, aliens are abducting folk in Canada! Don't worry Meaty, my six men are coming to save you and your cities!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:13 

NervousPete wrote:
Anyway, can't mourn forever, aliens are abducting folk in Canada! Don't worry Meaty, my six men are coming to save you and your cities!

Six? Meaty is doomed. If only you had 12 men, you might stand a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:19 
Honey Boo Boo

metalangel wrote:

"The Axis are invading Europe, North Africa and the Pacific Islands! Where do you want to send your sole troopship, General?" ;)

Congratulations, you've successfully won a battle in EUROPE! However, panic levels over Axis activities have reached high levels in NORTH AFRICA and PACIFIC ISLANDS and the funding for World War 2 has been withdrawn! Game Over.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:43 

Keep yacking. Meanwhile, all the Beexers who have actually played it are having huge fun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:46 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Obviously if you can avoid it, you should stop the rookies getting wasted - but it's far better to lose a rookie than a Sergeant or other officer.

NervousPete wrote:
Jeez, bit cavalier with your men's lives, aren't you?

I don't deliberately get them killed or anything, but if a situation looks a bit perilous then I put the rookies into peril rather than my valued officers. As far as I can tell there's no way to avoid aliens getting a shot off when they're in Overwatch, I appreciate you can lower the odds of them hitting by getting spotted at range (which is indeed what I did with Britney in the situation I described above), but there's always the risk of being critically hit as I understand it?

There's also a lot of the game I'm a bit vague on, for example, should I be getting interceptor cover over as many continents as possible, or is that just a useless cash drain? The more interceptor cover I have, the better the chance of engaging a UFO, shooting it down and getting to attack the wreckage, I guess? I'm hesitant to get a load of interceptors if they're just going to drain my cash and not really do anything.

I probably shouldn't have put both my satellites over Europe either, but I felt the UK deserved its own.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:48 
Excellent Member

Argh! Shite! What are these things?! They're eviscerating my men and implanting things in them and... and... augh! No! It's Attack of the Deranged Killer Monster XCOM Goons! Blech!

Me no likey Chrysalids. Me no likey at all. Chalk up another two for the memorial wall, both recruits mercifully. Although young Chima was doing well in her medic duties. :(

Also, just had a farcical scenario in the Canada mission where five of my men basically surrounded a Sectoid cowering next to a liquour cabinet and over two whole turns each entirely failed to shoot it full of holes. Maybe they were too busy drinking the contents of the store to pay attention.

I used to think Sectoids were cute and funny, but now they seem to have developed a nasty knack of whittling my health down alarmingly. Thank God for carapace armour. Just got my light plasma rifles too, so that should even things up a little. Though I am now broke. Also, I've basically lost Australia, so no more soaps to keep my men entertained. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:49 
Hello Hello Hello

metalangel wrote:
metalangel wrote:

Congratulations, you've successfully won a battle in EUROPE! However, panic levels over Axis activities have reached high levels in NORTH AFRICA and PACIFIC ISLANDS and the funding for World War 2 has been withdrawn! Game Over.

It's just a game mechanic, it may not be the same as the original games and/or a simplification over the system they had, but it doesn't mean the whole game is broken by default and therefore deserves nothing but constant scorn.

It doesn't strike me as overly preposterous that resources are limited and responses have to be targeted, there's a limit to what any military force can undertake simultaneously.

And besides which it's a game about invading UFOs, realism is not its top quality.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:50 
Excellent Member

There's also a lot of the game I'm a bit vague on, for example, should I be getting interceptor cover over as many continents as possible, or is that just a useless cash drain? The more interceptor cover I have, the better the chance of engaging a UFO, shooting it down and getting to attack the wreckage, I guess? I'm hesitant to get a load of interceptors if they're just going to drain my cash and not really do anything.

I probably shouldn't have put both my satellites over Europe either, but I felt the UK deserved its own.

You'll probably half to write off at least one continent before you get full coverage with interceptors and satelites, but I'd say, yes, go for it. They're not THAT expensive and it helps against the panic level.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:52 
Honey Boo Boo

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Keep yacking. Meanwhile, all the Beexers who have actually played it are having huge fun.

Sorry, but only six people are allowed to like this game at once, and they all have to sit in the same room together so they don't hear any dissenting voices.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 23:01 

Damn! I forgot to buy this earlier so it won't get delivered tomorrow now. :(

Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next