Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wii-U
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 18:44 

And now it's £289.00. They're flip-flopping all over the shop!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 18:46 

Wait, it's £199.00 again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 18:46 

No, wait...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 18:57 
SavyGamer

Yeah, I placed an order for £199. Hope I get it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 18:58 
Bad Girl

Was that Viewtiful Joe? Was that Viewtiful Joe? Was that Viewtiful Joe? Was that Viewtiful Joe? Was that Viewtiful Joe?

WAS THAT VIEWTIFUL JOE!?

No. No, it wasn't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 23:05 
Skillmeister

Joystiq wrote:
Many Wii games and all Wii accessories are backward-compatible with the Wii U, which Fils-Aime called a "one-two punch in our home console business between Wii U and Wii."

Oof. That's soured it a bit for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 23:15 

Hmm. Why only "many"? Having said that, the only Wii games worth playing are Nintendo ones barring a few exceptions and you can be damn sure they'll make those work so they can sell them again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 23:25 
Bad Girl

That'll be fabulous news for every new WiiU owner who hasn't played Xenoblade Chronicles. Play it you homo's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 23:28 

I can't be arsed! Long ass JRPG!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 23:32 
Bad Girl

I've only played one JRPG so I can confidentially say that this is the best one. Ever.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:22 
Honey Boo Boo

I had zero interest in the Wii-U until this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:13 
UltraMod

The best thing about the Wii is that it plays Gamecube games. I'm struggling to think of one plus point for the Wheeooo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:03 
Paws for thought

The Last Salmon Man wrote:
The best thing about the Wii is that it plays Gamecube games. I'm struggling to think of one plus point for the Wheeooo.

It hasn't been released yet. Not exactly fair to be judging it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:07 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:

Hi there, you must be new. Welcome to Beex.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:

Except I can already think of good reasons to have a PS4 or Xbox 720, and they're not released yet either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:15 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

List them!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:23 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
List them!

Games running in proper 1080p
Better graphics, framerates (I sound like ArseholeExasperation, don't I?)
More HDD space
Kinect 2 that works in proper-sized living rooms
Blu-ray for Xbox so that we don't have to have multiple discs
Quieter/cooler (or at least less prone to blowing up)
A better Playstation control pad

That's just off the top of my head. The Wii U seems to be a cross between a Wii and a 360 with a horrible looking single touch control pad. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:28 
Paws for thought

TheVision wrote:
List them!

More HDD space

That's just off the top of my head. The Wii U seems to be a cross between a Wii and a 360 with a horrible looking single touch control pad. :(

The list is lacking "Good games" which is really the only thing that matters. I wouldn't buy on the basis of that. And is pretty much what the wii was missing for the most part.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:30 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
TheVision wrote:
List them!

More HDD space

The list is lacking "Good games" which is really the only thing that matters. I wouldn't buy on the basis of that. And is pretty much what the wii was missing for the most part.

Well games is the obvious one, yeah. I bought a 360 because of Dead Rising and Forza 2.

I don't wish the Wii U any ill will, but apart from first party stuff, isn't it just going to get all the multiplatform stuff we've already seen this gen? Apart from Bayonetta 2 (haha).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:37 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
The list is lacking "Good games" which is really the only thing that matters.

If only. The Wii had at least two good games I was interested in (Okami and Zelda) and I gave up part the way through both of them due to stupid, useless, waggly fucking motion controls. On any other platform good games is the defining factor no doubt; but Nintendo have managed to ensure that someone can make an otherwise excellent game...and it can still be a pile of unplayable toss due to the fucking Wiimote! Woo-hoo!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 
SavyGamer

Dimrill wrote:
Joystiq wrote:
Many Wii games and all Wii accessories are backward-compatible with the Wii U, which Fils-Aime called a "one-two punch in our home console business between Wii U and Wii."

Oof. That's soured it a bit for me.

It's probably because a handful of games require accessories that use the Gamecube ports on the Wii, which obviously don't exist on the Wii U.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:29 
Skillmeister

Shopto have preorders. £296 for the premium, £247 for the standard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:45 
UltraMod

Seems expensive considering the Wii was £180 and that's got to be one of the reasons they sold a fucking shitload of them.

Also see DS vs 3DS.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:55 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Seems expensive

Haven't you just paid £30 for a cable?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:00 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Seems expensive

Haven't you just paid £30 for a cable?

I'm the new Grim...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:11 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
The list is lacking "Good games" which is really the only thing that matters.

If only. The Wii had at least two good games I was interested in (Okami and Zelda) and I gave up part the way through both of them due to stupid, useless, waggly fucking motion controls. On any other platform good games is the defining factor no doubt; but Nintendo have managed to ensure that someone can make an otherwise excellent game...and it can still be a pile of unplayable toss due to the fucking Wiimote! Woo-hoo!

It's certainly fair to say that they made it quite a bit harder to make good games, given they had to be designed for a really rather innaccurate and limited control system. I'm still not entirely convinced it wasn't doable - it's just that people noticed they didn't need to bother and made shitty mini game collections and fitness games instead.

I'm not ruling out buying a wii-u at this point. Although Nintendo will have a harder time convincing me than they would have had the wii not been such a shit heap overall.

Then again, I'm eyeing the next xbox with a certain amount of doubt currently.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:24 
Excellent Member

Lack of a sensor bar in the basic pack is farcical. Yes, they can easily be bought (and they are dirt cheap) but given that one is in the Premium pack AND the Basic and Premium packs in America, this is just penny pinching by Nintendo.

Not everyone has a Wii that they can nick the sensor bar from (when they realise that they need one and their basic pack doesn't have one).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:52 
SavyGamer

Four_Candles wrote:
Lack of a sensor bar in the basic pack is farcical. Yes, they can easily be bought (and they are dirt cheap) but given that one is in the Premium pack AND the Basic and Premium packs in America, this is just penny pinching by Nintendo.

Not everyone has a Wii that they can nick the sensor bar from (when they realise that they need one and their basic pack doesn't have one).

Yeah. Lots of people have a Wii, but they probably want to give away/flog it since the Wii U is backwards compatible anyway. Seems a bit penny pinching to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 13:11 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
It's certainly fair to say that they made it quite a bit harder to make good games, given they had to be designed for a really rather innaccurate and limited control system. I'm still not entirely convinced it wasn't doable - it's just that people noticed they didn't need to bother and made shitty mini game collections and fitness games instead.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. The fact that the motion controls were available didn't necessarily mean that developers had to weld them badly to every game under the sun...but they did, and that's what fucked it for me. Zelda had a couple of mechanics that made decent use of the Wiimote but there were still loads of places it made things harder than just an analogue stick and some buttons would have done and when your control system is a barrier to the user and game interfacing rather than a mostly invisible enabler then you've made an arse of it.

Mr Dave wrote:

You mean because of Kinect being built in? I'm not too worried about it, there'll undoubtedly be some shovelware produced because of it but the Xbox as a range of consoles simply isn't built on it the same way the Wii is so I think developers will carry on seeing it as a purely optional thing that same way they do now; whereas with the Wii everyone seems to think it's fucking illegal to make a game you don't waggle something around in or whatever. MS will push it no doubt, and it does have potential to be useful as the Wiimote does, but I don't think it'll come to define the platform or anything and as long as it doesn't then we'll keep getting proper 'normal' games I reckon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 14:56 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

You mean because of Kinect being built in? I'm not too worried about it, there'll undoubtedly be some shovelware produced because of it but the Xbox as a range of consoles simply isn't built on it the same way the Wii is so I think developers will carry on seeing it as a purely optional thing that same way they do now; whereas with the Wii everyone seems to think it's fucking illegal to make a game you don't waggle something around in or whatever. MS will push it no doubt, and it does have potential to be useful as the Wiimote does, but I don't think it'll come to define the platform or anything and as long as it doesn't then we'll keep getting proper 'normal' games I reckon.

Mainly as I fear that most games are going to be painfully generic and take no risks whatsoever (Beyond whacking in some completely irrelevent kinect control, as was typical of sixaxis stuff in early PS3 games). To say nothing of the pay to win DLC that I fear we may see plenty of on all consoles. Hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 15:19 
Honey Boo Boo

Bamba wrote:

Yeah, I totally agree with this. The fact that the motion controls were available didn't necessarily mean that developers had to weld them badly to every game under the sun...but they did, and that's what fucked it for me. Zelda had a couple of mechanics that made decent use of the Wiimote but there were still loads of places it made things harder than just an analogue stick and some buttons would have done and when your control system is a barrier to the user and game interfacing rather than a mostly invisible enabler then you've made an arse of it.

I recall playing Resident Wii-vil at DrG's house, and almost every action seemed to require furiously waving the Wiimote from side to side.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 15:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Has anyone tried playing a FPS with the Wiimote? The Conduit could have been an alright game but it was ruined by the controls. It was impossible to control.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 15:33 
Honey Boo Boo

TheVision wrote:
Has anyone tried playing a FPS with the Wiimote? The Conduit could have been an alright game but it was ruined by the controls. It was impossible to control.

Not unlike trying to play most 3D racing games on a touchscreen. I kept thinking I'd being doing a lot better if the game didn't keep deciding my thumb had left the screen for a split second and so drove me in a straight line halfway around a corner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 15:54 
SavyGamer

TheVision wrote:

Heh, I thought the opposite. Utterly shite game with decent controls.

Metroid Prime 3 worked great too, but that's not really an FPS.

I think the main problem is that they always tied turning to the pointer. If there was two analogue sticks (one on the wiimote and one on the nunchuck) for movement, and then the on screen pointer just did aiming, it would have worked great for FPSs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 16:05 
Bad Girl

Metroid Prime 3 might as well have been a FPS; there seemed an awful lot of shooting, in first person.

It was tiring on the wrist when playing for long periods and not because of the waggling, flicking etc but because you have to point the controller at the screen at all times. You can take your hand off a normal controller for a moment but with MP3 you kind of fix your arm in a 'floating' position where you find that sweet spot for the pointer. You'll be surprised how easy it is to get cramp rigidly holding your wrist in a fixed position.

Plus MP3 was utter dogshit.

The Team Ninja Metroid was aces though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 17:03 
Paws for thought

Ian Fairies wrote:
Metroid Prime 3 might as well have been a FPS; there seemed an awful lot of shooting, in first person.

It was tiring on the wrist when playing for long periods and not because of the waggling, flicking etc but because you have to point the controller at the screen at all times. You can take your hand off a normal controller for a moment but with MP3 you kind of fix your arm in a 'floating' position where you find that sweet spot for the pointer. You'll be surprised how easy it is to get cramp rigidly holding your wrist in a fixed position.

Plus MP3 was utter dogshit.

Never actually played MP3, but MP1 on the wii had controls that pretty much blew.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 17:48 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Mainly as I fear that most games are going to be painfully generic and take no risks whatsoever (Beyond whacking in some completely irrelevent kinect control, as was typical of sixaxis stuff in early PS3 games). To say nothing of the pay to win DLC that I fear we may see plenty of on all consoles. Hope I'm wrong.

I dunno, if that is a risk then it's surely just because of the state of the industry these days and could easily move further in that direction whether there's a new hardware iteration or not? Or do you think that there'll be some extra added cost involved in developing for the new platforms that will cause developers and publishers to take even less risk?

And I say 'if' there because I don't know if I agree that games are becoming more generic and boring as a lot of people say. Previous generation had shitloads of copy & paste platform games, or a fuckton of uninspired FPS' or whatever; that kind of thing always happens. I've still thoroughly enjoyed playing shedloads of inspired and interesting and different games (be they relatively unique or just fantastic iterations on existing concepts) over the last few years and I'm (possibly naively) optimistic about what's to come; especially when you throw some new hardware into the mix next year. I even think that the majority of developers have used the DLC concept to genuinely extend existing games in a way that offers real value for money rather than raping people with on-disc bullshit and cash-in nonsense as everyone feared when the concept raised it's head (me included!).

Don't get me wrong, there are some seriously bullshit moves that have been pulled by the industry in the last few years (on-disc DLC and fucking always-on internet DRM to name but two that make me want kill people), but generally speaking I think we're already getting the most interesting and advanced and cheap games that any generation's ever had and personally I'm gagging to see what comes next.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 17:48 
Excellent Member

Although I still really want to see the person that invented motion controls raped to death by a pack of wolves. Obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 18:07 
Sleepyhead

I <3 Bamba.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 23:42 
SavyGamer

Generally the big publishers tend to take risks at the start of a hardware cycle because they're throwing shit at the wall hoping something will stick.

The start of a hardware cycle is a great time to launch new IP, because you can make (relatively cheap) iterative sequels for years if it is a hit.

Like I think EA have said that they're not launching any major new IP until and the next consoles are out.

Of course, there are ways to take risks outside of a new IP (Like taking MGS open world, for example) but we tend to get lots of new ideas in the first year or two of new consoles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 23:58 

So my pre-orders are still valid at £199 for both consoles, which are now priced at £249 and £299. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:49 
SavyGamer

I think we're probably in the clear. £200 for a new Mario/Zelda/Metroid box is good enough for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 13:19 

Over a month to go and Amazon has stopped taking preorders for the premium and zombie u bundles by the looks of it.
And the first Wii U advert was on over the weekend, it's very meh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 14:02 
Bad Girl

Day 1 baby!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 18:25 
Excellent Member

Premium pack can no longer be pre-ordered on Amazon - they've obviously sold out of their expected allocation. You can only register interest now.

I guess the new TV advert worked. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 18:35 

My plan is coming together!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 18:39 
Gogmagog

MrsA was quite taken with the advert.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 18:41 
It's all pish

That trailer is like an "and finally" piece from John Craven's Newsround. Fucking terrible.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:17 
Honey Boo Boo

Being able to carry on playing on the super-o-pad when the missus arrives and demands the TV to watch (some crap with vampires/some crap with phony forensic investigations/some crap with wannabe superstars) is a great idea.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 

I'm just going to assume Trousers is getting one, and go round for an evening on it.

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next