Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: EvE Online
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
I… settled down into high-risk hauling, with my alt hauling and my main running blocker.

Grim… is both Smokey, and the Bandit. In space.

They were, in fact, the names of the spaceships I would use.

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
I can see myself ending up as some sort of industrious marketeer, I loved doing that in WoW. I don't really want to be blowing people up for shits and giggles.

People will be doing it to you. Lots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:55 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
TERRIBLE THINGS

MORE TERRIBLE THINGS

All the things you've listed sound like they'd just upset people, I don't want to play a game to upset people.

I'm quite enjoying the tutorials so I'll play them through, for now the whole 'majesty of space' thing is keeping me occupied, as is just learning my way around the interface and all the different screens.

I can see myself ending up as some sort of industrious marketeer, I loved doing that in WoW. I don't really want to be blowing people up for shits and giggles.

Sociopaths blew people up for shits and giggles, I blew people up for money. There's a major difference, there.

Everything you do in EvE is playing against someone else. Selling your stuff at a low price? You're cutting off someone's supply of money there, that they've worked for. Buying up all the minerals in a region, to resell them at a slightly higher price? You're cutting into manufacterer's profits, there, too. Selling your loot after a mission? You're cutting ito other mission runner's profits.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:57 
Master of dodgy spelling....

MaliA wrote:
TERRIBLE THINGS

MORE TERRIBLE THINGS

All the things you've listed sound like they'd just upset people, I don't want to play a game to upset people.

I'm quite enjoying the tutorials so I'll play them through, for now the whole 'majesty of space' thing is keeping me occupied, as is just learning my way around the interface and all the different screens.

It is part of EVE unfortunately, stop in Hi sec and be safe. Or venture lower and have fun, where you fight against players, where you can roam in a pack and hunt the enemy down.

I loved popping someone ship then pod, or setting up safe points in lower space, so you can hide for a moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:

People will be doing it to you. Lots.

Then I shall pay people like MaliA lots of ISK to fuck their days up, and keep my own hands clean.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:58 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
I loved popping someone ship then pod, or setting up safe points in lower space, so you can hide for a moment.

Pop the ship. Ransom the pod. Take the money. Pop the pod. More than doubles your income.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 

Oh and I loved wardecs...

Being chased round high sec space.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:04 

One of my favs, was being chased into a station in a Rifter (my fave T1 ship).

Popping out, seeing what was there docking. Repeat a few times until, they had come closer and I knew what was there.

Swapping to a Battleship I had bought in the station (it was high sec after all) equipping it, so I could break locks, putting MWDs on it.

I burst out of the station guns blazing, took 3 of them down, before I was able to accelerate away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:12 
Rude Belittler

I kinda like grinding the old rocks. It's peaceful.

No, not playing eve again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:15 
Honey Boo Boo

Incompetent blues put a bubble on a gate. Fighting stuff on the gate, got blown up. Returned to nearby station and got free noob ship from insurance company. All my other stuff back in our home a dozen jumps away. Only way out through the bubble.

Entered bubble... halfway between bubble edge and gate when battlecruiser appears. BC MWDs over to me as I try to escape the bubble, blows up noob ship effortlessly and targets my pod.

BC guy: Hmmm... 30 mil?
Me: Just do it... you'll save me the trip home.

*boom*

I had no implants, he really did do me a favour. The cost of a new clone was less than my time wasted flying back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:20 

I had two clones, one with implants and one without, if I remember correctly...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:22 
Honey Boo Boo

KovacsC wrote:

That's the jump clone thing isn't it? Have your jumpclone implanted up for training, and your other one for getting blown up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:23 
Gogmagog

I can't find my favourite screenshot where I'm ransoming someone in rhyme. BooHiss!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:28 

metalangel wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

That's the jump clone thing isn't it? Have your jumpclone implanted up for training, and your other one for getting blown up.

That was it.. So I could fly round and do silly things.

I used to be a tackler for my corp, the nutter that used to try and stop BS flying away..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:49 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
metalangel wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

That was it.. So I could fly round and do silly things.

I used to be a tackler for my corp, the nutter that used to try and stop BS flying away..

I was often that when we went through 0.0 with the alliance looking for a fight. I enjoyed jumping through first, then quickly scanning down ratting battleships in an interceptor, getting the points on them and shouting "NOW!" down ventrilo and then trying to stay alive as the other 29 members of your gang jumped in, slowly aligned then warped in to finish the job. They once got soeone to eject from his battleship as we'd claim it for a prize and let him go without podding him. I must have had a ventrilo problem, or something, as I missed the last bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cor, Beex Corp was four years ago 8)

Join this story about how I lost my Typhoon in a mission, and hauled enough loot while I was at work to buy a Tempest and complete the mission before it expired: viewtopic.php?p=80555#p80555

Good times.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:14 

It was an enjoyable game....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:21 
Honey Boo Boo

There was talk of Inferno making mining profitable and interesting again.

Unless they increase the value of all the minerals ten times and send every player a bottle of vodka, neither is going to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:01 

metalangel wrote:
There was talk of Inferno making mining profitable and interesting again.

Mining is fun, in a zen kind of way. When I temporarily got 3/7ths of the startup I worked at addicted to Eve, we used to do high sec mining while we worked, alt-tabbing every hour or so to run back to stations and drop ore off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

How many people was that?

(You're going to say '3', aren't you?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 

I remember on Christmas day, waking up early. And headed off ratting in Low sec, and made a fortune. I was the only one online virtually.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 
Honey Boo Boo

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mining is fun, in a zen kind of way.

Really? I once found gas harvesting to me fun, in a drunk kind of way, where I fell asleep after too many cognacs and found that bad people had entered the wormhole, scanned me down and, after I didn't respond to their o/ , blew me the fuck up.

Quote:
When I temporarily got 3/7ths of the startup I worked at addicted to Eve, we used to do high sec mining while we worked, alt-tabbing every hour or so to run back to stations and drop ore off.

What the hell were you mining in and with? A Retriever using two T1 strip miners fills its hold in about four minutes (or two cycles of the strip miners)... this is another tale of old Eve isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 
Sleepyhead

KovacsC wrote:
I remember on Christmas day, waking up early. And headed off ratting in Low sec, and made a fortune. I was the only one online virtually.

No, there were loads, but MaliA had already podded them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:35 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

No, there were loads, but MaliA had already podded them.

I wasn't on for very long. The night before, I'd a stinking hangover from Christmas eve, then my girlfriend at the time drove up from Beaconsfield to take me to her parent's for Christmas day itself (I was going to spend it by myself as I couldn't take the time off work or something, so driving to Kernow and back would have been a silly idea). First up was Gravlax, and I abhor fish at the best of times, so I politely ate it. The rest of the day was fine, though, as we all got really, really drunk and had played silly games. It was a pretty cool, house, too, a small mansion, even. She was still hung up over her divorce, though...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:46 

metalangel wrote:
What the hell were you mining in and with?

We were doing this in work time. We were also working. Maximising the EvE efficiency wasn't the utmost priority.

@Grim...: yeah, 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 13:01 
Honey Boo Boo

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
metalangel wrote:
What the hell were you mining in and with?

We were doing this in work time. We were also working. Maximising the EvE efficiency wasn't the utmost priority.

You're lucky you didn't get blown up by rats or suicide gankers. Did you have a friend with drones buzzing around to protect you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 22:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Three more hours into this game and I really don't know what to make of it.

Still just doing the advanced tutorials, and even now I feel a bit lost, like there's 99% of this game going on that I know nothing about, and I'm going to have to learn most of it if I want to get the most out of it. (Even the interface isn't a natural navigation process for me yet, trying to remember where I saw certain things or where to check this and that and so on.)

Back in work tomorrow so I'll have a chat with my refer-a-friender, see if he can start to give me a sort of an idea as to how one finds a direction in the game - most MMOs give you that basic level system, you start at 1 and work your way up from there, and whilst EVE has the skills system, it's not a basic case of 'just level up even if you're doing nothing else'. (Yes I know I can always have skills levelling up (which I am doing), but there's not that simple 'just do stuff' and your character will get better arrangement in place.)

Same as my last post to this thread, I'd say I'm still 50/50 on whether or not this game is a good match for me (if it had existed when I was a teenager I'd probably have not left the house for three years) - but whichever way I end up swinging with regards to its 'fit' for me, I salute its majesty and I'm glad it exists.

I spent an obscene amount of time playing Elite back in the day, (think I got to Deadly, never managed Elite, but whatever the one below that was), the fucking C64 version as well, which couldn't do wireframe as well as the Speccy, so it ran like a fucking dog - but in my head I was exploring an incredibly rich and beautiful universe, and whilst I knew the whole thing was running off the back of about 52KB of code (or whatever it was the C64 actually had available to it) and it was all entirely artificial, on some level I was dreaming about it being what EVE actually makes real today.

Amazing stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:59 
Gogmagog

Back in work tomorrow so I'll have a chat with my refer-a-friender, see if he can start to give me a sort of an idea as to how one finds a direction in the game - most MMOs give you that basic level system, you start at 1 and work your way up from there, and whilst EVE has the skills system, it's not a basic case of 'just level up even if you're doing nothing else'. (Yes I know I can always have skills levelling up (which I am doing), but there's not that simple 'just do stuff' and your character will get better arrangement in place.)

Finding a "direction" isn't too tricky. You just do what you want to, and what you enjoy. That's what the game lets you do. All it does is say, "Hey, sport, here's the universe, there's a whole bunch of cool toys in here, use them as you want to" and tousles your hair in an affectionate manner. Then pushes out out the front door, into he cold, pouring rain, and it's up to you. There is no level 80 boss to beat, all that is out there is space. Space that you can control. Space, that if you want to control, you're going to have to take from someone else. Your character is on his own journey to find fame and fortune, all the tools are there to do it, it is just how it is done.

The lack of defined 'levels' is possibly a bit of a ballache for someone coming from WoW where Lvl 40 will always beat level 12, but I've seen a couple of frigates kill a battleship, it isn't always about the purples. "but I've put so much time in!" They'll shout, "Why did I die?" before running back to hi-sec. The answer is generally "You fucked up, or weren't clever enough". Anecdotally, WoW players do struggle with EvE, and the fact it is so unforgiving, and spend their time in Hi-sec running the same missions again and again, never venturing out into the adventourous lands unless they have to, whereas people new to this sort of thing say "I cn do anything? Cool" and build their own narratives, only limited by their imaginations.

The beauty of EvE is that a two week old player can beat a two year old player. It's not about what 'level' you are, it's about how clever and cunning you are. The clever players, no matter what 'level' they are, will have the advantage over those lacking guile. Choose your own adventure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

While I agree with Mali, you could start off with some trading if you liked Elite.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:37 

Or read up on what ship you want to fly and do those skills. Start small there are some awesome t1 frigates

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:39 
Honey Boo Boo

Grim... wrote:
While I agree with Mali, you could start off with some trading if you liked Elite.

Any trading is to make money to replace blown-up warships or buy more ammunition.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:41 

I never had to trade. I ratted and ran missions. Joined a corp and they had a tax so got free ammo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trading's how I made my first billion.
I can't even remember the route now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 

I never had vasts amounts. But I did have fun. One alliance gave us t1 ships.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 
Gogmagog

One character sat in one region, one jump away from the other, and bought and sold stuff remotely in both regions. I started with 1 million and bought T1 drones for 3k and sold them on again for 6k. Then, I'd buy huge amounts of minerals across the region, then sell them on again for a small profit per unit. Given the numbers involved, it added up to profit, quickly. I tended to try and deal with the thigns mission runners would want, and the sort of stuff a 6-9 month old player would, as that was the biggest market. The other did the same but in two different regions. This income provided all that Malicious Afterthought needed, and some extra, too.

Old Man Afterthought did some trading and ran missions, looting every area. he was generally considerably richer than I was, but didn't matter so much.

As for goals, thinking about what KC said, I thought "Hey, Enyos and Ishkurs look pretty pro" and worked my way towards being able to fly them. Then it was the Vexor of BlooLazors which was the best ship I ever had, racked up a huge amount of kills in that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 13:04 
Meh

You can make billions sitting in one station (trade hub). Buy cheap...sell high..easy money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 13:15 
Sitting balls-back folder

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
I… settled down into high-risk hauling, with my alt hauling and my main running blocker.
Snowman and the Bandit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 13:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

BikNorton wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Snowman and the Bandit.

Oh yeah, course. Fear not - that's what it was called.
If I used my Wolf to run blocker that was called Son Of Trigger.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 13:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I so nearly resubbed last night. It was in my head going "I'd be soooo pretty on your new laptop. Sooooo pretty". Fucking thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 13:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
Fucking thread.

FUCKING thread. Cunts need to shut the fuck up and stop reminding me about it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 13:55 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:
Fucking thread.

FUCKING thread. Cunts need to shut the fuck up and stop reminding me about it!

:this:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 14:07 

I was looking at it last night.. but I would have to be a noob :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 14:20 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
I so nearly resubbed last night. It was in my head going "I'd be soooo pretty on your new laptop. Sooooo pretty". Fucking thread.

I'm now thinking how pretty it'll look on a Retina screen. :'(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 14:21 
Legendary Boogeyman

MaliA wrote:
"These people aren't my friends, they are allies and corp mates. Anyone one of them could, at anytime, empty the alliance and corporation wallets, disband both and run away with all the supplies and cash.... I'd better make sure it's me"

I wonder if EvE Bank ever actually gave any money back to the looted account holders when Ricdic legged it with all the monies. Those left certainly said something about doing that but I don't think it panned out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 14:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Less pretty.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 14:28 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hmm it looks like the chaps issued shares and then dividends to those who verified their accounts before the deadline.

I think I verified my account but haven't been back since to check. I might have a few hundred million isk sitting in my account somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 14:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
Less pretty.

Fewer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 17:41 
Hello Hello Hello

Well this game has already put me £520 out of pocket, I decided I needed a 27 inch monitor with a mega-resolution to accommodate the very 'Windowey' nature of the EVE interface.

2560x1440 bitches!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2711-Ultr ... 589&sr=8-1

My current graphics card will handle EvE at that resolution but I suspect it's gonna choke on BF3 in terms of horsepower and VRAM...... (GTX680 should fix that......)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 17:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If you get three monitors Eve can do that, er, thing. Where it makes two of them "side" ones.

Tech genius, me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 17:46 
Honey Boo Boo

Annual EvE survey has just arrived. Very detailed questions about... everything. Actually game-related too, none of the usual "Which BBC region are you in?", "What is your gross household income?" "Did you engage in sexual relations with your spouse or significant other in the last seven days?" crap.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 18:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
If you get three monitors Eve can do that, er, thing. Where it makes two of them "side" ones.

Tech genius, me.

The chum who R-A-Fed me has two accounts, he multiboxes using 30inch and 27inch TFTs, flash bastard.

30inchers are still too rich for my money, no change out of a grand on one of those fuckers and the resolution is only slightly higher than on a 27.

Reply to topic  [ 1153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next