Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Castlevania
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:53 

I cannot stop playing SOTN. I'm pretty much convinced at this point that it's one of the best games ever ever. It'd make my all-time top 10 easily.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 17:26 
Bad Girl

I took a break from this after I did original castle. I thought I was going to breeze through the inverted castle. How wrong I was - the difficulty has, thankfully, ramped up, the enemies are tougher, more varied and larger, the bosses are harder and more interesting (the rotting one strung up to the ceiling a particular highlight so far) and it has given me a rougher ride since I turned up laden with a load of weapons and items I never used. That's soon changed though and I'm finally using whatever I've got handy so I don't have a long trek back to the save point.

Seems the game has only just begun for real now!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:17 
Bad Girl

Bloody hell, that big yellow boss with the thunder stick has kicked my ass one too many times. Despite using all my pentagrams and other smart bombs he won't go down. Any ideas peeps?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 14:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:
I cannot stop playing SOTN. I'm pretty much convinced at this point that it's one of the best games ever ever. It'd make my all-time top 10 easily.

I started last night, and got as far as the meeting the woman (Maria?). It took me a while to discover up+y and although I could do the Hellfire trick at the beginning, I can't do it since I met Death. Is that normal?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 17:43 

Been playing a spot of Circle of the Moon last night, and it's... Very tough. :S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 18:18 
Paws for thought

Ian Fairies wrote:
Bloody hell, that big yellow boss with the thunder stick has kicked my ass one too many times. Despite using all my pentagrams and other smart bombs he won't go down. Any ideas peeps?

First time I did it by
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Sitting up in the top right and got him into a cycle whereby he didn'tattack

Second time I employed a rather game breaking method
Shield rod and alucard sword, which basically cheeses him to death

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 18:18 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
WTB wrote:

I started last night, and got as far as the meeting the woman (Maria?). It took me a while to discover up+y and although I could do the Hellfire trick at the beginning, I can't do it since I met Death. Is that normal?

From memory, Death steals almost all of your equipment and abilities, which probably includes the aforementioned trick.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 18:21 
Excellent Member

This thread almost makes me want to dig out my PSP and play the slightly different version of SotN on there (and Rondo of Blood).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:22 

Grim... wrote:
WTB wrote:

Uh, hopefully what Alarm said is correct, because I haven't a clue! :p

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:44 
Excellent Member

I started a new game on the PSP version. I can cast spells before and after meeting Death, so I was incorrect. You can cast them whenever, as long as you have enough MP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:02 

Yeah I thought that... Although you only know one or two spells at the beginning of the game. Grim..., you're not referring to the very start of the game are you? The boss battle against Dracula from the game before?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 13:12 
Kvnt

One of the spells requires you to have the sword familiar card turned on, and IIRC a couple require bat/wolf-form abilities, but yeah, Hellfire, Tetra Spirit and Dark Metamorphosis should all be available from the outset.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 13:43 

Dark Metamorphosis definitely ain't - I bought that off the guy in the library!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 14:07 
Paws for thought

WTB wrote:

But you can do it before that if you know the inputs, I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 14:08 

Mr Dave wrote:
WTB wrote:

But you can do it before that if you know the inputs, I believe.

Oh really? Ah well, I dunno then!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:11 

If I wanted to play this (bloody ShillBot getting to me), would PSP be a good choice? Should I get the retro PSN port or the Dracula X Chronicles version?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:13 
Kvnt

Yeah, he just sells you the info. Wizened old extorting bastard.

Ed: get the PSN version, if you can! DXC is still well worth buying if you like the linear Castlevanias, of course...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:16 

YOG wrote:
Ed: get the PSN version, if you can!
I'd buy it if I could, but my custom firmware PSP can't access the store. I'll have to warez Chronicles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:20 

Yeah if you want it for nowt, just get Chronicles - it's more or less the same isn't it? I think they've moved the weapons around and stuff a bit, but seeing as you've never played it before, it won't matter anyway! Well, assuming you can get a quality map online for that version. The map I posted earlier in this thread has been invaluable as a complete beginner.

edit: Apparently X Chronicles features SOTN as an unlockable for completing Rondo of Blood, so that's not exactly instant gratification. Does your PSP play PSX roms? Mine does - so I'd just download the original PSX version rom and run that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:33 

WTB wrote:
Yeah if you want it for nowt, just get Chronicles - it's more or less the same isn't it?
Less Engrish, apparently.

Quote:
I think they've moved the weapons around and stuff a bit, but seeing as you've never played it before, it won't matter anyway! Well, assuming you can get a quality map online for that version. The map I posted earlier in this thread has been invaluable as a complete beginner.
Hmm. Good point.

Quote:
edit: Apparently X Chronicles features SOTN as an unlockable for completing Rondo of Blood, so that's not exactly instant gratification.
Apparently you don't have to complete it, although it might be non-trivial.

Quote:
Does your PSP play PSX roms? Mine does - so I'd just download the original PSX version rom and run that.
Presumably. I've never had cause to try it. What's the process? Just put the ISO in the usual place?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:35 
Kvnt

Aye, you definitely want to be playing the original PSX version, somehow. The unlockable one in DXC lets you play as Maria, like in the Saturn version, but the dialogue has been changed and the classic hammy voice acting has been thrown out in favour of brand-new po-faced performances. :'(

I don't own a PSP myself; do the PSOne downloads keep their native aspect ratio? SOTN's graphics will require it. I shudder to think what it'd look like all squished down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:41 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Quote:
Does your PSP play PSX roms? Mine does - so I'd just download the original PSX version rom and run that.
Presumably. I've never had cause to try it. What's the process? Just put the ISO in the usual place?

I think so, yeah. It was a good couple of years ago that I installed the usual custom firmware on my PSP and I can't remember which version, but basically I used to shot the files straight in there and they'd just work. Unfortunately I can't turn my PSP on any more to check my firmware version because I left the battery in and it seems to have died. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:44 

YOG wrote:
Aye, you definitely want to be playing the original PSX version, somehow. The unlockable one in DXC lets you play as Maria, like in the Saturn version, but the dialogue has been changed and the classic hammy voice acting has been thrown out in favour of brand-new po-faced performances. :'(

I don't own a PSP myself; do the PSOne downloads keep their native aspect ratio? SOTN's graphics will require it. I shudder to think what it'd look like all squished down.

You can flip between stretched, original aspect ratio, letter-boxed, etc. Just like on TV! It's a really cool little machine, and I'm extremely annoyed that I'm going to have to get a new battery for it at some point.

Dual nubs and it would be a perfect portable system - but mainly because it's so easy to run PSX roms on it, rather than its capabilities as a PSP-game-playing-device. I doubt the upcoming Vita will be quite so easy to hack - assuming it'll offer PSX game support in the first place. Or PS2 for that matter.

And this ain't about getting bags of games for free. A custom firmware PSP = access to all of those obscure Japanese PSX titles you never got to play, in your pocket! Plus free games, natch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:53 
Paws for thought

SOTN without the voice "acting" would be a terrible shame. I laughed every time I hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:54 
Kvnt

Yeah, I really need to see about getting a PSP at some point, if only for DXC, Darius Burst, Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins and MAME-on-the-bus! Being skint is boring.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 21:36 

I might suck at this. I either don't know how to save or I died before the first save point!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 21:51 
Paws for thought

If you made it past weapons stealy death and a single skeleton, you made it to the first save point. (Spinning thing, go to it and press up, I think)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 22:21 

Hmmm. Guess I didn't press Up then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 23:07 
Bad Girl

Just finished the inverted castle. That was great from start to finish all 190 percent of it.

I don't seem to have unlocked Belmont anywhere along the way though? Seems there are loads of secrets I've missed despite visiting just about everywhere I could find!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 23:13 

Don't you just start a new game under the name 'Belmont'? It only works after a certain percentage is completed in your other save file though I think!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 
Paws for thought

WTB wrote:
Don't you just start a new game under the name 'Belmont'? It only works after a certain percentage is completed in your other save file though I think!

Complete >= 180% and use the name richter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:17 
Hibernating Druid

:belm: ont

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:31 

Mr Dave wrote:
WTB wrote:

Complete >= 180% and use the name richter

Close enough! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:07 
Excellent Member

"MARIA" on the PSP version makes her playable on SotN. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:59 
Kvnt

Two more entries are on the way. There isn't much info around, but there's a new Lords of Shadow title coming to the 3DS, called Mirror of Fate. It appears to be in much the same vein as the eggbox game visually, but apparently the gameplay switches to 2D a fair bit. In addition to this, Lords of Shadow 2 has just been announced. There are some more Mirror details here, and pics here. I wasn't terribly keen on LOS, and am saddened by the main series' general decline into commercial inviability, so I'll leave the commenting/speculation/cautious optimism/savaging to you fine folks.

(There's a fucking colon and a hyphen in the 3DS game's title, though! That's the worst naming convention! :P)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 13:10 

So is the 3DS one a 3D affair? As in, 3D gameplay, not 3D visuals like everything on the 3DS. I was hoping for another 2D game like the DS had. :(

In fact, I want a HD 2D Castlevania game on Xbox. And that one where you can zoom out and see the whole map doesn't count!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 13:20 
Excellent Member

I've only just started playing Lords of Shadow so can't offer an in-depth opinion, although the combat certainly isn't as intuitive initially as other brawler games (I got killed three fucking times in the first section and the horseback fight seemed to be utterly button mashy and random). Hopefully that'll get better as I get better because it's definitely one of the prettiest games I've ever played and the Shadow of the Colossus-esque boss fight was certainly interesing; if slightly confusing at first.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 13:32 
Kvnt

WTB wrote:
So is the 3DS one a 3D affair? As in, 3D gameplay, not 3D visuals like everything on the 3DS. I was hoping for another 2D game like the DS had. :(

Sounds like a bit of both:

Quote:
Mirror of Fate features polygon-based graphics, but it plays primarily in 2D and 2.5D, with the occasional shift into a fully 3D environment. Whereas Lords of Shadow had an emphasis on combat and action, Mirror of Fate encourages nonlinear exploration and discovery.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 22:54 

Yay! I've finally unlocked the inverted castle! Now I just have to complete the whole game again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 22:59 
Kvnt

You don't actually have to explore the whole thing again, if you don't want to. Once you have all five of "Dracula's relics" (body parts that you get from certain bosses), you can go straight to the clock room in the Marble Gallery (I forget what the inverted version is called) and finish the game off.

You can completely avoid Galamoth, for example - the hardest boss in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 23:01 

Hmm. Time to consult a FAQ! I've left it so long since the last time I played that it's a miracle I managed to remember where Belmont was to kill him! :p

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 23:03 

Oh! I just accidentally got the Ring of Vlad, which is apparently the first bit. Killed a giant bat boss!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 23:06 
Kvnt

Yeah, you're going the right way. The bat should be always be your first stop in the inverted castle.

Bit of nerdy trivia: the bosses that give you Dracula's relics in Symphony are the five main bosses from the original Castlevania: the bat, Medusa, Frankenstein, Akmodan (the mummy) and Death.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 23:10 

Just found Medusa! Man, this game is so good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 23:12 

And she's tough! Might come back tomorrow!

We're talking about Symphony of the Night by the way if anyone doesn't know where this thread just popped up from.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 23:15 
Kvnt

Should be a piece of piss, mate. I think I usually just get close to her, duck and slash away. If she turns you to stone, wriggle a bit and then use a potion or some food.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 23:16 

How do I use potions again? Do I need to equip them in a hand?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 23:24 
Kvnt

Yeah, and you need to re-equip your sword/shield afterward. It's a bit of a pain! Especially if you're eating food, since he'll just chuck it on the floor and you have to go and pick it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 15:41 

Got the Alucard shield, killed a few bosses. 140% so far!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 15:42 
Gogmagog

Heh. Alucard is Dracula, backwards. As a children's story taught me, once.

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next