All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: The Pinball Arcade
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:53 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://www.pinballarcade.com/

Quote:
"The first four tables will be Tales of the Arabian Nights™, Ripley's Believe It or Not™, Theatre of Magic™, and Black Hole™.
Each month we will be updating the game by releasing two tables as DLC and adding new features that will include online tournaments and head-to-head play.
With many of the all-time greatest tables from Williams®, Bally™, Stern Pinball™, and Gottlieb™; The Pinball Arcade™ is set to become the most realistic and comprehensive pinball game ever created!!!"

Quote:
"Starting tomorrow, we're going to celebrate the Twelve Days of a Pinball Arcade Christmas by releasing more information, new videos, or new screenshots about our game each day for 12 days. We'll start by uploading the HD version of the making of video to our youtube channel that is currently available on IGN.com. We hope you enjoy! Have a happy holiday season, everyone!!!

Quote:
On the first day of a Pinball Arcade Christmas, we’d like to invite you to check out our “Making of the Pinball Arcade” video. We’d like to thank IGN.com for the great coverage they gave us yesterday! We’ve posted the video on youtube and invite you to subscribe to our channel for the latest preview videos. In addition to previews, we’ll be posting gameplay tips and tricks for each table. Look for HD versions of our videos as well as interviews with famous table designers and Pinball Hall of Famers in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePinballA ... ustangbase

Quote:
Merry Christmas!! and Happy Holidays to Everyone!!!

Each month, The Pinball Arcade will feature one game as The Table of the Month. At launch, this table will be Tales of the Arabian Nights. The Table of the Month on most platforms will cost 99 cents. [We’d prefer to offer it for 99 cents on all platforms, but there are some console restrictions we may have to abide by that would restrict this pricing model]. After each month is over, the Table of the Month will go back to it's regular price which will typically range between $1.99 and $2.99 (with $3.99 currently planned for tables with expensive ancillary licenses).

Trying to do a gameroom type thing for Pinball tables , available on just about every OS out there , and by the team who have actually done pinball tables well in the past

Post subject: Re: The Pinball Arcade
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 13:33 

It's by them guys that done did the Wii Gottlieb collection and the PS3 Williams collection, right? The Gottlieb tables really suffered from the Wii's lo-fi visuals, so I am looking forward to playing them on a high def console or PC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 14:19 
8-Bit Champion

lasermink wrote:
It's by them guys that done did the Wii Gottlieb collection and the PS3 Williams collection, right? The Gottlieb tables really suffered from the Wii's lo-fi visuals, so I am looking forward to playing them on a high def console or PC.

Yip - and the have the backing of all the main pinball companies so they will be doing conversions of 'real' tables (classic tables!)

I wonder what they will do about people buying on more than one platform - i'd like to have the chance to buy for one (360) and then pay 'a small amount' to have the same content on PC + iDevice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 14:49 
It's all pish

Nice! I like Farsight - they did a really good job with the Gottleib and (especially) the Williams collections. They also seem to be genuinely passionate about pinball, judging from the trailer. Only thing I'm worried about is what they were saying at the end of the trailer about how easy it's been to port the game to various platforms. I hope the Xbox version hasn't been hamstrung to make it easier to port to, for example, the 3DS.
Still, squee! More pinball!

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 17:00 
Honey Boo Boo

All the big names, so it will get High Speed, The Addams Family, Star Trek TNG and Twilight Zone, right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 15:27 
Participant in dramatic games

ah, ipad pinballing ahoy i hope

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 18:07 
Kvnt

One of the guys in the 'making of' video mentions being able to play in landscape and portrait. Does this mean it'll have 'tate' support on the eggbox? 'Cos that'd be fucking awesome. My telly's only a small 'un.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 18:12 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I am sure Catherine will be happy to plug it, but I doubt it will affect the sales too much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 18:24 
Kvnt

Am I bovvered?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:52 
UltraMod

YOG wrote:
One of the guys in the 'making of' video mentions being able to play in landscape and portrait.

It's probably referring to phones and tablets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 16:32 
8-Bit Champion

A new video posted of "Tales of the Arabian Knights"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:14 
It's all pish

The best thing about this thread is that so far there's no sign of that talented bastard geriatric old fool, MrC.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:19 
Numbskull

Malc74 wrote:
The best thing about this thread is that so far there's no sign of that talented bastard geriatric old fool, MrC.

Shhhhh.....it's ok Malc, I don't think he's spotted this thread yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 13:15 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

At about 15 seconds the ball comes back down the table, and swerves to the right for no reason. I gave up after this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 13:19 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, the physics look wonky to me too. I'll certainly be playing a demo though.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 13:40 
Kvnt

The fact that it doesn't look like a steel ball bothers me, too. :nerd:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 
8-Bit Champion

This sorta fits here - a nice bit on the Beeb about the Pinball hall of fame in Vegas :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16838228

And going back to the original there are a number of vidoes of their system running on various mobile devices - heres what it looks like on an ipad 1

Link to all their current youtube videos : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePinballA ... ture=watch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 20:21 
8-Bit Champion

And its out on IOS (android tomorrow)

69p for a single table , there is a free version as well

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pinball- ... 26958?mt=8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:51 
8-Bit Champion

Due on XBLA on the 4th of April

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 025841121d

http://www.platformnation.com/2012/03/2 ... april-4th/

Quote:
Farsight Studios’ upcoming Pinball game “Pinball Arcade” will be coming to Xbox Live Arcade on April 4th, the company announced just a few hours ago. The game debuted a few months ago on iOS and Android and has provided amazing simulation for a selection of authentic pinball tables. Utilizing the knowledge and skill Farsight gained developing Williams Pinball Collection in 2009, Pinball Arcade provides upgraded graphics and physics for an even more amazing arcade experience.

Pinball Arcade will release on XBLA on April 4th for 800MSP ($10) with a handful of authentic pinball tables, like Arabian Knights and Black Hole. Future DLC support is planned with a good list of tables confirmed to be on their way and more licenses being negotiated in the future. Crave, the games publisher, and Microsoft decided to push the game back a bit from its planned release this week in order to improve its placement on dashboard advertising.

I have been an avid fan of Zen Studios and their pinball games for Xbox 360 and PS3, but The Williams Pinball Collection is simply the best modern pinball game out now. Pinball Arcade has gotten over a million downloads since its release on mobile platforms earlier this year, hopefully the same success will be reproduced on the home consoles. Releases for PC and PS3 are planned, but firm dates are not available yet.

So I already have the IOS version , and have Williams Pinball Collection for the Xbox which has Arabian Knights , Black hole and many of the other 'announced' tables so i'm stuck between buying it to encourage them to keep working at it or just waiting until they get some of the other reported tables released

List of Tables confirmed from various sources : http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread ... ing-tables

Quote:
Here's a list of confirmed tables, taken from various sources - ones in red are already in the Williams collection

Medieval Madness (taken from Facebook post on January 19 - One of the first DLC tables - release date unknown)
Bride of Pin*Bot (taken from a FB post - One of the first DLC tables - release date unknown)
Cirqus Voltaire (taken from Facebook post on December 26 - release date unknown)
Monster Bash (taken from Facebook post on February 7 - release date unknown)
Attack from Mars (taken from Facebook post on February 7 - release date unknown)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Funhouse (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Black Knight (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Space Shuttle (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)

Pin•bot (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Big Shot (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Either Dr. Dude or Earthshaker (most likely Dr. Dude - taken from Gamezone interview with Bobby King on January 29 - released within first year)
TAXI (taken from Facebook post on March 27 - release date unknown)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 17:46 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Due on XBLA on the 4th of April

Splendid!

That'll be my 360 coming out of semi-permanent retirement then :)

Better connect it all back up and check it still works......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:59 
UltraMod

Tempted, but never-ending DLC and forever-increasing achievements in Pinball FX2 rather put me off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 14:01 
8-Bit Champion

myp wrote:
Tempted, but never-ending DLC and forever-increasing achievements in Pinball FX2 rather put me off.

The real test will be if they can get some of the licensing agreements sorted out for the popular but never actually released tables - given the choice i would always prefer an emulation of a 'real' table over a table which was coded for the screen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 16:53 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
myp wrote:

The real test will be if they can get some of the licensing agreements sorted out for the popular but never actually released tables - given the choice i would always prefer an emulation of a 'real' table over a table which was coded for the screen

Yeah it's the possibility of emulated real tables with online scoreboards that has me excited about this.

The physics model had better be a big improvement on Pinball FX2 though, that was fucking shocking.

No emulation of a real table would play anything like authentically with that crazy table slope and physics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 16:59 
Sleepyhead

Been playing the Arabian Nights table on iOS. Looks gorgeous, but I am well shit at it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 17:11 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Been playing the Arabian Nights table on iOS. Looks gorgeous, but I am well shit at it.

Its interesting to compare how the engine / physics model has progressed - I get much better games / scores and a better feeling from the Arabian Nights table on IOS than i do for the exact same table on Williams Classics on the 360 (despite the much better physical controls for the 360)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 18:13 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Its interesting to compare how the engine / physics model has progressed - I get much better games / scores and a better feeling from the Arabian Nights table on IOS than i do for the exact same table on Williams Classics on the 360 (despite the much better physical controls for the 360)

Is that just down to something like the flippers being far longer on the iOS version or something?

The flippers in Pinball FX2 were ridiculously long compared to any real pinball table that has ever existed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 22:38 
Participant in dramatic games

Lots of complaints about the new update though.l

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 0:14 
8-Bit Champion

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Is that just down to something like the flippers being far longer on the iOS version or something?

The flippers in Pinball FX2 were ridiculously long compared to any real pinball table that has ever existed.

There is a much smaller 'deadzone' in the middle of the flippers on the IOS version but its not just that - you feel much more in control of where the ball is going , and the routes on Arabian Nights seem much more intuitive on the IOS one than the xbox - main example i can give for that is the various loops which are in that sort of half invisible plastic - on the Xbox one i often lose track of where the ball is going - but i never do on the iphone

Here is an example of the xbox version

And the ipad version

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Cheers Zaphod, interesting to see.

I'll definitely be getting it on the 360 as soon as it's released so all will become clearer then I suppose :)

I have no problem with paying a bucketload of cash for extra tables in the form of DLC if they're of a high quality and true to the originals in terms of sound, music, DMD animations etc - and have a quality physics model.

£1 per table or thereabouts would be reasonable I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:44 
Sleepyhead

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Cheers Zaphod, interesting to see.

I'll definitely be getting it on the 360 as soon as it's released so all will become clearer then I suppose :)

I have no problem with paying a bucketload of cash for extra tables in the form of DLC if they're of a high quality and true to the originals in terms of sound, music, DMD animations etc - and have a quality physics model.

£1 per table or thereabouts would be reasonable I think.

On ios I think it was 69p for the first table and then £2.50 for subsequent ones. Either way, enough that I only bought the first one (but I am no pinball enthusiast).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:48 
Comfortably Dumb

Had a quick dabble with the Android version on my tablet, and while my cheapo Tablo isn't really up to running it full speed, it's whetted my appetite enough to get the XBLA version when it's released.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:41 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
On ios I think it was 69p for the first table and then £2.50 for subsequent ones. Either way, enough that I only bought the first one (but I am no pinball enthusiast).

I'm pretty sure if you buy the first one you can download and play the other tables in 'demo' mode which restricts you to a 'medium' score point - it does mean you can get a quick feel of the overall tables - of the 4 thats on there Theater of Magic is wonderful and worth the cost of the game as a whole (i bought 'all' tables which i think was about £6 which although a lot for an IOS game was more done to encourage them to do more)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 18:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Would we expect a 4th April release to mean 'on there from midnight tonight' or am I just better off waiting until I get home from work tomorrow?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 18:42 
Kvnt

XBLAH games usually go up at around 10-11 in the morning, mate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 18:50 
Hello Hello Hello

YOG wrote:
XBLAH games usually go up at around 10-11 in the morning, mate.

In that case I won't wait up :D

Cheers for the info YOG :)

I'm quite looking forward to having something to play on ye olde 360 again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:45 

I bought this. Four tables by default. It's pretty good! Does anyone know if they have any plans to do The Addams Family as DLC?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:58 
Kvnt

There are loooooads of good tables being released as DLC, so it could well be one of them! I'll be buying this tomorrow. In the demo, the ball physics seemed less weighty and realistic than Pinball FX 2's, but it still played really well. It seems we still haven't reached the point at which we're playing video pinball, rather than a videogame with some pinball principles chucked in.

Ed: oh, hey, I can buy it today! :DD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:24 

Naturally, MrC and Trousers are already way beyond my leaderboard capabilities. On day fucking one. Good luck!

I'll tell you one thing it does a lot better than Pinball FX - the instructions for the tables. You go through a series of written instructions and the camera pans (with helpful arrows) to the bits of the table that it's talking about. And they've got the authenticity down to a tee. The sound effects on the Black Hole table are bloody great. Tough table that, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:34 
Kvnt

FX2 has one of those for every table, too, but they're buried in the menus unintuitively, and really badly written!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:38 

I knew it had them, but I didn't realise they took you around the table! Ah well, 0-0. They're both good! :p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:40 
8-Bit Champion

WTB wrote:
I bought this. Four tables by default. It's pretty good! Does anyone know if they have any plans to do The Addams Family as DLC?

Its often mentioned and its one they are interested in but its a very difficult table to get all the various rights for (artists images for the top glass / movie rights / etc etc) although its one of the tables i'd love to see i would expect a very big announcement if they managed to pull it off.

Look at one of my posts earlier in the thread for confirmed tables so far.

YOG wrote:
There are loooooads of good tables being released as DLC, so it could well be one of them! I'll be buying this tomorrow. In the demo, the ball physics seemed less weighty and realistic than Pinball FX 2's, but it still played really well. It seems we still haven't reached the point at which we're playing video pinball, rather than a videogame with some pinball principles chucked in.

The engine looks pretty much the same as the Williams Pinball collection although some of the tables do have a few enhancements - i really would rather it gave you the slow scroll up a high res image of the table for the attract mode instead of its single image of the whole cab.

And as previously mentioned I much prefer tables which are at least based on real life ones rather than the imagined ones from Pinball FX

WTB wrote:
Naturally, MrC and Trousers are already way beyond my leaderboard capabilities. On day fucking one. Good luck!

I played a few games last night - MrC is waay out in front but on every other table i'm pretty much neck and neck with Trousers so looking forward to having a few chances for leaderboard challenges

WTB wrote:
The sound effects on the Black Hole table are bloody great. Tough table that, though.

Emulated sound so I'd expect them to be 'perfect'

Overall TOM is still an amazing table , Arabian nights is better than the version in Williams Pinball but I think most people are not going to see that much of a difference , Ripleys is an odd table which i still need to work out what to aim for but it plays better on here than on the Ipad (the perspective for the different levels seems easier to track on here) , and Black Hole is a basic table but well implemented - worth 800 points and we'll just need to wait and see how well they can pull off their plans for DLC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:43 
Kvnt

Oh, 1-0 to this game for sure!

Theatre of Magic seems ace. Never played this one!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 13:57 

Ah, that's quite a list of possible tables! Excited! Interested to see how much they charge for them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 19:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Well I would be playing this but Microsoft appear to have decided that they don't like any of my credit cards, or even allow the card that is already linked to my Paypal account.

So, erm, bit stuck really.

(I'd allowed my XBL account to lapse to the state where it didn't have any valid payment options on it, hence had to try to add one, whatever I feed it I'm simply met with 'Please enter a valid credit card number'.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 20:38 
Hello Hello Hello

So it works if I enter the EXACT SAME DETAILS through the 360 itself as I was trying on the MyXBox website. (I do so love filling in forms using a fucking gamepad.)

Fucking thing.

Anyway, downloading now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Have had a reasonable play of three of the four tables now (the Ripley's one doesn't overly appeal to me as I've never played a real one but I'll have a bash at it anyway in due course).

1) The physics and table model wipes the floor with Pinball FX2. The table slope is reasonable and the ball behaves much more realistically as a result, certainly I felt massively more in control of what was going on than I ever did with PFX2. Also note the gap between the flippers is like it is on a real table too. PFX2 compensated for the insane table slope and ridiculous running speed by reducing the gap between the flippers to a tiny degree.

2) REAL TABLES! Huzzah! They look fab, all the music and sound and DMD animations are spot on. Wicked.

3) It's ace!

Roll on the DLC, I can see myself spending a fair wedge of cash getting a decent collection of tables for this game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 13:23 
Kvnt

First DLC video. Bride of Pinbot and Medieval Madness!

Here's all the announced (real) tables in action:

Monster Bash
Cirqus Voltaire
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Attack from Mars
The Machine: Bride of Pinbot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 13:49 
8-Bit Champion

YOG wrote:

Monster Bash
Cirqus Voltaire
Attack from Mars

I'd much rather they stuck to tables which are not already out (Medieval Madness is in Williams collection) - but if it speeds things up then great and i'll buy every one of the tables they have announced.

This is one where I wonder if a season pass would work out better for them - I'd happily stick my money down now for what they have coming out rather than pay 200 points every month or so for the new tables

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 14:04 
Hello Hello Hello

YOG wrote:

Monster Bash
Cirqus Voltaire
Attack from Mars

OOHHHHH brilliant selection!

Monster Bash - awesome.
Cirqus Voltaire - really good.
Creature From The Black Lagoon - classic.
Attack From Mars - really good.
Bride Of Pinbot - awesome.

BRING ON THE DLC!

When is it out? WHEN WHEN WHEN.

Sorry for caps innit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 14:24 

Holy shit!

Reply to topic  [ 820 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next