Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy VII
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 20:28 
Bad Girl

Gears of War had the same but with Mad World spewing into your ear holes.

I saw they were pissing away thousands of pounds on Resi 6 telly ads despite being 9 months away. Fuck knows what the point of those are when you can stick it on YouTube and pay nadda.

Anyway I digress, Final Fantasy...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 19:06 
Bad Girl

There's a Final Fantasy XIII-2 demo hidden away on the dash board. I've still never played a single FF so I'm downloading it now for a looky-look.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 21:48 
Bad Girl

And now I'll be deleting it and will never wonder if I've missed out on anything. Ku-Kupo?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 0:37 

As far as I can tell from other opinions, XIII and XIII-2 aren't particularly great entrance points to the series. In fact, there hasn't been a truly great game (in my opinion at least) since the PSX, so you're not going to find it there!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 14:48 
Caution Live Bear.

Quote:
There's a Final Fantasy XIII-2 demo hidden away on the dash board. I've still never played a single FF so I'm downloading it now for a looky-look.

They had a demo in Oxford Streets HMV, about 5 minutes play left me furious with the entire series. Like FFX which I loathe but ten times worse. Oh and there is this abomination that they did to the chocobo theme as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 20:14 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grim... wrote:
but I think the PC used rubbish MIDI sampling

Yep this is so. I weirdly enjoyed the game sounding a little different on different PCs depending on how good the sound card was. Even a basic mod for the original to use the proper mp3s for the music would be ace.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 20:21 
Bad Girl

WTB wrote:
As far as I can tell from other opinions, XIII and XIII-2 aren't particularly great entrance points to the series. In fact, there hasn't been a truly great game (in my opinion at least) since the PSX, so you're not going to find it there!

Are all of them so absurdly kooky? This one had two normal anime characters being followed by this poorly rendered floating pig with a bulb on its head.

Plus the fight sequences looked "ok" but when you moved around the world it was distinctly horrid looking.

It didn't help that the first thing you fight is a disembodied giant hand that took ten minute of tedious floaty fighting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 20:47 

They've always had their quirks, but they seem to have been getting progressively more 'WTF Japan?!' in recent years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 21:21 
Skillmeister

XIII-II got 5/10 in this month's Edge. Is that a new low rating for a Final Fantasy game? I dunno, what are you asking me for? Fucking come around here asking me stupid questions. Jesus.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 21:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

WTB wrote:
They've always had their quirks, but they seem to have been getting progressively more 'WTF Japan?!' in recent years.

Really? One of the party in VII was a stuffed slot machine....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 21:43 

Heh! That's nothing compared to where they're at now!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 22:49 
Legendary Boogeyman

Craster wrote:
Really? One of the party in VII was a stuffed slot machine....

Cait Sith made no fucking sense. The actually character was supposed to be the cat on top of the slot machine, but also being remotely controlled by someone that worked for Shinra. I think. Fuck it, to the wikipedia!

Quote:
[]...a robotic talking cat who is friendly, but often unreliable and speaks with a Scottish accent.[14] In Final Fantasy VII, he rides on the back of an unnamed robotic moogle; in subsequent adaptations, he either walks by himself or rides Red XIII. As a robot, he is able to be rebuilt and replaced, and is controlled by Reeve Tuesti, whose original intent during Final Fantasy VII was to infiltrate Cloud's group and sabotage their resistance efforts on behalf of his employers.[15] He is revealed to be a spy but convinces the party that he has had a change of heart[15] and later volunteers to extract the black materia at the Temple of the Ancients, noting that he was a robot and thus could easily be sacrificed. However, Cait Sith also states that, despite there being several toys with the same appearance, he was a unique being that would be willing to sacrifice himself to protect the Planet

Worryingly I don't remember the black materia part, but it has been yonks since I completed a playthrough.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I remember him fucking off with all the materia. The most annoying part of all that is having to put it all back again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's Yuffie does that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:19 
Legendary Boogeyman

And leaves you almost powerless in a series of random battles as you try to find her to get it back.

Yuffie and Vincent are optional characters, consequently they don't appear in any of the end-of-game FMV. I think I'm right in saying you can encounter Yuffie before too as there's a very small chance she'll appear in a random encounter battle in the forests near Wutai.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 
Awesome
Yes

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
And leaves you almost powerless in a series of random battles as you try to find her to get it back.

Yuffie and Vincent are optional characters, consequently they don't appear in any of the end-of-game FMV. I think I'm right in saying you can encounter Yuffie before too as there's a very small chance she'll appear in a random encounter battle in the forests near Wutai.

Just don't take your eyes off her :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

Wow, just checking into the above I found this: http://www.jegged.com/Playstation/Final ... anics.html

I had no idea stuff like that was built in. Dialogue from the word go will affect something really arbitrary quite far into the game. Neat :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 15:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
That's Yuffie does that.

WTF? I wrote a big thing about what happens after the black materia is given to Tseng, but how it isn't the most annoying thing in the game (etc).

I think my brain is broken.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 15:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Wow, just checking into the above I found this: http://www.jegged.com/Playstation/Final ... anics.html

I had no idea stuff like that was built in. Dialogue from the word go will affect something really arbitrary quite far into the game. Neat :)

I've been on the date with Barret, but not Yuffie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 15:50 

Pretty sure that means you're gay, man.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 16:06 
Legendary Boogeyman

Reading those mechanics, to get Yuffie you'd have to make a point of doing everything you can to appease her while pissing off everyone else as much as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 16:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Reading those mechanics, to get Yuffie you'd have to make a point of doing everything you can to appease her while pissing off everyone else as much as possible.

That was basically the same as you have to do with Barret. There was no "proper" guide, though - just a list of suggestions, so you had to do it all the time!

It's also really hard to be mean to Tifa because, you know, tits.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 17:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

Doesn't Cloud bang her towards the end of the game anyway? I seem to recall it being highly implied.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 17:32 
Bad Girl

TGS Trailer - looks shiny. I’ve still never played the OG. Tch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 17:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I wants it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 17:55 
Comfortably Dumb

Some of the voice acting in that trailer is pretty bad. At least the game looks like it might be decent though... or at least not just a straight-up remake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 16:55 
Bad Girl

Cloud looks like Tilda Swinton in the remake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 17:48 
Bad Girl

Man, this dialogue is fucking cringe. If Cloud says he’s just in it for the money again I’ll eject the disc.

I can barely remember the combat from FFXV but this isn’t any more complex than smashing square and occasionally pressing triangle once before smashing square a ton.

Is this 30 FPS as well?

Not impressed so far...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 17:57 
Paws for thought

Satsuma wrote:
I can barely remember the combat from FFXV but this isn’t any more complex than smashing square and occasionally pressing triangle once before smashing square a ton.

It's very much not the combat system from the original ff7, which is why I haven't played it beyond the demo. In that I thought it were inferior and just made me sad that with every game since FF12 they've gone deeper into a well of cinematic but boring real time combat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 18:03 
Awesome
Yes

Mr Dave wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

It's very much not the combat system from the original ff7, which is why I haven't played it beyond the demo. In that I thought it were inferior and just made me sad that with every game since FF12 they've gone deeper into a well of cinematic but boring real time combat.

Can you not turn on a classic combat mode?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 19:27 
Bad Girl

Oh yeah, there is a classic mode. I’ll have a sniff at that to see if it makes it any more palatable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 0:42 
Paws for thought

Mr Russell wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Can you not turn on a classic combat mode?

You can, but it's still not anything like the original I found.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's a lot more like the original than the other mode, but yes still quite different. The game is however a stone cold fucking masterpiece and I'll allow no talking shit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 15:09 
Bad Girl

This game has it all! Enforced walking painfully slowly while someone talks to you; random headaches that lead to flashbacks; horrible stilted dialogue; coming out of a cut scene and walking 5 yards (or less!) to trigger another cutscene; etc etc. So when I say it has it all, I mean design choices from 10 years ago.

I tried the classic combat too which was ... not very good. Dragon Quest was way better and I played that last year. Seems the new combat option is the lesser of two evils since at least you’ve got to do more on the fly, which is slightly more challenging and the encounters last mercifully much shorter. It’s not even turn based. Your character just auto attacks as you wait for a bar to fill up and then press a special... The cack handed might want the classic mode but you can still call up the menu for abilities, spells and items at any time and pause/slow down the fight. Meh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 20:41 
Hello Hello Hello

There's a better thread for this.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... &start=200

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 22:17 
Bad Girl

I’m here now.

I prefer the normal combat now. It’s like baby’s first Devil May Cry game but it’s better than doing fuck all on easy mode. The weird thing is it could have just copied Xenoblade Chronicles much better and more satisfying combat because it’s dangerously close to those mechanics. Basically XC is about waiting for moves to charge up, just like this, but much more complex than the rudimentary system here with a single AP bar.

The anime cutscenes and dialogue are as piss poor as the truly awful shit films.

The sound mixing is crap as well. I’m walking through a train and two doors close between me and the guy in front as he walks into the next carriage as I hang back to look at the NPCs. Doesn’t matter though cause he’s still talking as loud as if he’s standing right next to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 22:30 
Bad Girl

The doors of the motel where Cloud lives open outwards!? Come on, people. THIS is a masterpiece? Fuck outta here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 16:22 
Bad Girl

This is much better since Tifa & Jessie have turned up. Even the dialogue is less irritating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 19:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hearthly wrote:

I'd assumed this was a link to the bin thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
This is much better since Tifa & Jessie have turned up.

! That's... About an hour in?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:11 
Bad Girl

Nah, I’d just hit chapter 6 and spent some time in their company by then.

The levels don’t get any more imaginative. I’d motorcycled along a repetitive identikit tunnel that outstayed its welcome and was as long as a Battletoads level and just as fun. Then I’d fought through a repetitive identikit tunnel that was equally fun.

I can see why this took so long to make.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Wrong thread. Wrong opinion.

Everything is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 23:29 
Bad Girl

As a connoisseur of the JRPG having played at least 2 of them I’m amazed that this game doesn’t have some of the QoL stuff that other JRPGs. It’s so fucking tedious healing your party after a fight and having to apply spells and potions to your crew each individually. Dragons Quest had a menu option for optimal healing that was two button presses. Menu>heal team to max. Here, I’ve got to press X>R2>spells/potions>character then do the same again if the spell/potion doesn’t heal to max, which it fucking won’t at this stage, and then repeat for each member of the party. I can’t abide a game that doesn’t respect my time.

And how come Cloud can jump like Dante to smash airborne enemies but when there’s a sentry gun 6 foot above his head he’ll dart across the floor swinging his blade like a tit and I’m forced to switch to Barret. Urgh, it’s annoying.

And how many times must we squeeze between gaps or crawl under a duct really slowly. I don’t mind hiding loading screens but have can’t we come up with some better ideas than repeat the same old crap. And Jessie has an hilarious animation as she star-jumps between gaps like a fucking nutter who’s downed a can of monster energy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 23:31 
Bad Girl

And what’s the deal with summons? It only lets you use them when the game fancies it. I’d got a Chocobo one about two hours ago but it won’t let me unleash it on anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 0:51 
Hibernating Druid

I don’t think this is the game for you.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Maybe he's pressing the wrong buttons, since he can't even post in the correct thread.

Anyway FF7 Remake was absolutely one of the gaming highlights of 2020, utterly delightful and I loved damn near every minute of it.

Case closed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

End of.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 18:28 
Bad Girl

That second reactor area reminds me of Final Fantasy XV, y’know, that bit near the end where you’re wandering down samey looking corridors. Or like Halo’s Library.

Then you meet Aerith who is teeth gnashingly positive. I’ll stick with Tifa & Jessica, thankyouplease. And some of the sections with her are so fucking tedious: if I have to slowly slide through that sodding gap where those kids are I’ll smash someone’s face in; and what about dangling from the ceiling to knock a light fixture down? Could you move any slower. People were actively shooting me, knocking off 3 health, and there was zero tension as I went the wrong way and then had to sloooowwwwwlly clamber across the ceiling to Aeirth. And the second fight against the Turk has him grab your feet in an unblockable attack that locks you into a lengthy animation that you can’t escape. Fucker got me 3 times in a row as I figured out what was happening and I might as well put the pad down and made a cup of tea.

Still, I’ll tell you this: the skyboxes are bloody lovely.

Which is great as the textures of some objects are terrible. Aeirth is talking to flowers in one cut scene and the camera looks at the flowers and I swear I might as well have been playing on a Switch.

Quite enjoying it, mind. I’d had to great through the entire slum nonsense to learn that one of the plates fell once which I found really interesting for the world building.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 23:09 
Bad Girl

EIGHT FUCKING MINUTES

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:48 
Hello Hello Hello

I didn't mind those sections at all, they all felt like part of the world to me and they fitted in fine.

It seems to me that you're bouncing off the game a bit for what it wanted to be. It's not the game, it's you, man.

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next