And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jacqui Smith resigns
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 16:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

CraigGrannell wrote:
Riles wrote:
I know it may be considered a bit cunty, but recycle everything recyclable, regardless as to whether Lewisham council take it or not. My view is that if you dump that shit on them they have to deal with it, and if enough people do it, their easiest route will be to actually recycle the fuckers.

In Hart, they consider this 'pollution', say they then trash your recycling with the normal waste, and to deal with this they are consiering implementing a three-strike system. First strike: a warning; second strike: a four-figure fine; third strike: they cease collecting from your property permanently.

Sadly, they aren't putting the same amount of energy into recycling. Rather than figuring out how to recycle soft plastics, they instead regularly leaflet us and tell us not to buy items with lots of plastic packaging. Gee, thanks.

Our collection is also a switcheroo one, with a black garbage bin one week and a blue recycling one the next. We get a green tray for glass (which the council finally caved in and started dealing with a year ago), and you can optionally buy stupidly small 'garden waste' bags that the council then don't bother collecting most of the time.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't do it if we didn't have communal bins.

Post subject: Re: The Bin Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 17:03 
anywhere that has an incinerator (sheffield is one of the only ones in the country I think) they just chuck all the waste there anyway, including the paper as it helps dry out the waste, so we don't have to separate it.
Back home we have 4 waste things, garden, tins/glass, paper/card and rubbish.

Seems like a lot of hassle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 17:14 
Where are you?

@Riles: I'm happy to recycle—I just hate the council's 'warnings' that if, say, some arsehole walks past your bin and plonks something in it that shouldn't be there, they'll fine you a grand.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 17:27 

CraigGrannell wrote:
@Riles: I'm happy to recycle—I just hate the council's 'warnings' that if, say, some arsehole walks past your bin and plonks something in it that shouldn't be there, they'll fine you a grand.

It's also why per bag charging won't work. Not only do I share a group of bins with 3 other flats but they're all out on the road.

They charge us per bag and 4am every Tuesday morning our house's bags will be in the outside bins of the house 3 doors down.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 17:59 
Where are you?

They're still planning on charging by weight here. Amusingly, the council argues that it's the homeowner's responsibility to ensure their bins are protected, don't have the wrong things in, and aren't accessible by anyone other than said homeowner. It's also considering fining people for putting their bins out too early and not bringing them in on time. Clearly, our council thinks we all have bin maids or sentient bins that go out and come back when programmed or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 18:00 
Honey Boo Boo

CraigGrannell wrote:
They're still planning on charging by weight here. Amusingly, the council argues that it's the homeowner's responsibility to ensure their bins are protected, don't have the wrong things in, and aren't accessible by anyone other than said homeowner.

How the fuck are the guys supposed to get at them to empty them into the truck, then?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 18:16 
Where are you?

Well, therein lies the flaw. The council is quite literally expecting you to know when the refuse truck is going to show up, drag your bin out an hour or so before, watch it (to make sure no-one puts anything 'bad' in it), wait for the refuse to be taken, and then put it out of sight until next time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 18:20 
Honey Boo Boo

Yup. Much like they didn't realize those green fabric bags they gave us for garden waste wouldn't stay in place once emptied, and would instead catch the wind and blow away.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 18:26 

CraigGrannell wrote:
Well, therein lies the flaw. The council is quite literally expecting you to know when the refuse truck is going to show up, drag your bin out an hour or so before, watch it (to make sure no-one puts anything 'bad' in it), wait for the refuse to be taken, and then put it out of sight until next time.

Are they aware that people who aren't public employees occasionally work for a living?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 19:13 
Where are you?

Very much so. I'm sure they're all rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of lots of lovely cash for lots of lovely fines.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 19:15 

Indeed.

I'll just get rid of my bins and use everyone else's round the corner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 19:16 

hmm, my post didn't show up.

edit : despite it warning me someone had posted on this try.

Anyway

Indeed, that's why I'd get rid of our bins and just chuck it in one round the corner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 19:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Except it did, and I could see that the newest post in the thread was by you, but then it wasn't there when I clicked on it. Deeply strange.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 19:29 
Honey Boo Boo

We had a note through the door saying that the official CCBC 'recycling warden' had been snooping around during the collections two weeks ago and had noted we weren't recycling enough.

This could be because the previous (shite) recycling bin was so tiny it had been nicked ages ago and I'd been forced to haul all my bottles and cans to the fucking recycling centre at Asda because you shiftless cunts couldn't be bothered replacing it nor introducing a proper recycling scheme until now. You cunts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 19:49 
baron of techno

MetalAngel wrote:
We had a note through the door saying that the official CCBC 'recycling warden' had been snooping around during the collections two weeks ago and had noted we weren't recycling enough.

This could be because the previous (shite) recycling bin was so tiny it had been nicked ages ago and I'd been forced to haul all my bottles and cans to the fucking recycling centre at Asda because you shiftless cunts couldn't be bothered replacing it nor introducing a proper recycling scheme until now. You cunts.

You should definitely write and complain. Call them cunts or something, I dunno.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 22:04 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I guess a lot of this comes down to what your local council want to do and how much 'being green' or at least 'being seen to be being green' means to them.

In our area we have :

1 Black bin for 'general rubbish' / non recyclable items collected fortnightly
1 Green bin for 'recyclable' items like paper / certain plastics / tins etc collected fortnightly
1 Black 'box' for glass collected once a month
1 'bag' for batteries , collected at the same time as the glass box

and they have just started a weekly 'brown' bin collection for food / shredded paper (although we did compost uncooked and bokashi cooked food)

Its our Black bin collection tomorrow and when i took the bin out just now its the same as it normally is with just one or two small bags of rubbish which are mostly of the plastics they do not recycle (yet) however i'm sure it will just be a matter of time until they start on those.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 13:35 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

How to resurect an old thread - after all the work being done on encouraging recycling why dont we just 'bin' it all and give the local councils the extra money to put it all in landfill

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15118516

Cost is reported at £250 million

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 13:36 
UltraMod

The Daily Mail Brigade win again.

IMMIGRANTS ARE NOT EMPTYING OUR BINS (AND EATING THE QUEEN'S SWANS)!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 13:47 
Paws for thought

Doesn't really afect me. I only put out waste (Inc recycling) once a month.

Except glass which they don't seem to recycle here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 13:48 
Sleepyhead

I agree with the comment that in the midst of all the current cutbacks and economic hardship, finding 250million for bins is more than a little eccentric.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 13:56 
Gogmagog

When I lived in Cherwell, I wrote to the council asking why they didn't recyle glass from the recycing bins. The answer was that due to the amounts of bottle banks and the like, it's more cost effective for them to use them, then collect it. In Bingley, the bins are collected once a week (and I mysteriously seem to have two bins with my address on, whihc is an increase of one since we first moved here), but even then I suspect we'll struggle to fill it in that time. The recying is done through an insert in the bin, which we don't have, so everyhting is going to landfill until we get that sorted. Sorry, Great Yarmouth.

This 'do the bins every week' idea is nonsense in its purest form. It's perfectly fine to do them fortnightly, alternating with recycling, and I cannot fathoma t all why it is being done, save for an attempt to 'bring back the good old days' where I suppose coppers would give yo a clip around the ear and tell you off rather than ASBO you and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 13:59 
UltraMod

We have three bins. One for landfill, one for recycling (inc glass) and one for garden waste. The landfill gets emptied on a fortnightly basis, and the other two are emptied on the alternate week.

While I appreciate families will fill their bins quicker than a couple with no children, this sends the wrong message. We should be encouraging people to recycle more and throw away less, not 'resolve' the issue by more bin collections.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 14:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

myp it wrote:
While I appreciate families will fill their bins quicker than a couple with no children, this sends the wrong message. We should be encouraging people to recycle more and throw away less, not 'resolve' the issue by more bin collections.

The problem isn't paper rubbish and such though, is it? It's food waste. Even if you've only used a quarter of your bin, if you've got a chicken carcass in there for two weeks and it's summer, it's going to reek.

People aren't demanding more bin collections because they're filling their bins, they're demanding them because keeping decomposing food and used nappies outside your house for two weeks is minging.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 14:05 
Gogmagog

Compost, vegetarianism and Terry nappies are clearly the way forward for the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 14:15 
Paws for thought

MaliA wrote:
When I lived in Cherwell, I wrote to the council asking why they didn't recyle glass from the recycing bins. The answer was that due to the amounts of bottle banks and the like, it's more cost effective for them to use them, then collect it. In Bingley, the bins are collected once a week (and I mysteriously seem to have two bins with my address on, whihc is an increase of one since we first moved here), but even then I suspect we'll struggle to fill it in that time. The recying is done through an insert in the bin, which we don't have, so everyhting is going to landfill until we get that sorted. Sorry, Great Yarmouth.

This 'do the bins every week' idea is nonsense in its purest form. It's perfectly fine to do them fortnightly, alternating with recycling, and I cannot fathoma t all why it is being done, save for an attempt to 'bring back the good old days' where I suppose coppers would give yo a clip around the ear and tell you off rather than ASBO you and so on.

There's no glass bins at the 360 local recycling centres either. The council website claims otherwise. But it lies!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 14:23 
Gogmagog

Email your local councillers. It's always good for a laugh, and makes them think they do something useful

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 15:03 
Where are you?

Craster wrote:
The problem isn't paper rubbish and such though, is it? It's food waste. Even if you've only used a quarter of your bin, if you've got a chicken carcass in there for two weeks and it's summer, it's going to reek.

The problem here is the fortnightly collection doesn't always happen. Ours was missed three times this year, which meant the black bin (for food and non-recyclable waste) went four weeks before it was collected. Now, that really did reek.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 15:10 
Gogmagog

I'm currently absolutely astounded that Eric Pickles has described weekly bin collections as a "basic right" which really, really does shit upon things like slavery, life and property. He's not a fat thicky, he's a fat thicky see you en tee now in my book.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 15:15 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

That must be why many Tories want to scrap the Human Rights Act - it fails to cover the really important things, like bin collections.

UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
I'm currently absolutely astounded that Eric Pickles has described weekly bin collections as a "basic right" which really, really does shit upon things like slavery, life and property. He's not a fat thicky, he's a fat thicky cunt now in my book.

Well, quite. I bet he'd be the sort of person to think owning a car or house is a basic right as well. They're not, they're privileges.

Excellent Member

To be fair, a lack of weekly bin collection does endanger his life due to the immense fire hazard all those piled up takeaway boxes of his engender.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 15:22 
baron of techno

I'm glad that Beex has at last come around to my way of thinking (see this thread, passim). Thank you, you are now free to go.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 15:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

myp it wrote:
They're not, they're privileges.

Not convinced they're even that. They're paid for products and services.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 15:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bins have always been collected weekly in Bedfordshire :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 15:53 
Gogmagog

Careful, you'll get people posting their rubbish to a service you pay for, soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 15:55 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Nice!:DD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 16:00 
Sitting balls-back folder

They've told us to put food waste (cooked and raw veg and meat) in the green bin now.

Which is great, except they haven't changed it from fortnightly and insist we buy our own bags (or pay for cleaning) if we don't want it to ming. There's almost nothing goes in the grey bin now for fuck's sake*, make it fortnightly and the green weekly. Idiots.

Neighbouring Manchester councils give the bags away "free", which makes it even worse.

* Mostly eminently recyclable bits they don't collect - plastic food packaging, envelopes with windows**.
** Why aren't envelope windows made of rice paper or something these days?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 16:21 
Excellent Member

I'm fairly confident that ensuring the population are not fed upon by rats, maggots and foxes is one of the basic things a government should be sorting. It's not about human rights it's about an elected government making sure all the utilities work. Councils can go to hell, bring in a law stating that it has to be weekly, you are the government, grow some balls. If there is a heaven than I guarantee you Winston Churchill is up there waiting with a pair of knuckledusters and Ernest Hemingway as his wingman.

We have two weekly collections in bins that are too small and it's fugging disgusting. My garden backs onto a small river coming from a water overflow pipe from a hospital. The giant rats used to stay in the pipe when it was weekly but now they come up into our gardens. I've had the security light go on and seen them going through the bin before. At least I didn't have what happened to my friend - a rat got in the bin and she woke up to two week old nappies torn up all over her lawn.

I don't own a car and rent, in fact people who own cars can take extra bags to the skip, I can't do that :( /shakes fist at our council

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 16:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Decca wrote:
I'm fairly confident that ensuring the population are not fed upon by rats, maggots and foxes is one of the basic things a government should be sorting. It's not about human rights it's about an elected government making sure all the utilities work. Councils can go to hell, bring in a law stating that it has to be weekly, you are the government, grow some balls.

They could quite easily do that. The councils will then raise everyone's council tax by £100 a year to pay for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 17:31 
Excellent Member

My council is very good for this, its fortnightly collections, and we get

1. Large Green wheelie bin- General Waste
2. Large Blue wheelie bin- Paper, certain plastic bottles and cans
3. Large Brown wheelie bin –Garden waste

The brown bin cost me £35, the other option was paying 90p for these crappy looking brown paper bags. I recently bought as 2nd brown bin as I have a mature garden and could fill one bin in a few hours on a Saturday.

They don’t do anything for bottles so I bought a metal dustbin and when its full I take it to the local supermarket car park and get rid of them there.( in the correct bin of course!)

If I paid £70 a year I could get a 2nd general waste bin, but as there is just the two of us the bins and their collections are fine.

It does vary, my sister in laws council refused to sell her a 2nd bin for general waste. The women next door told her to hide her bin the garage and call the council and tell them it had been nicked. She had a new (free) bin in 3 days. Most of the houses where they live have 2 or more!

The next council over to me, some 7 miles away does weekly collections, recycles fuck all and doesn't provide bins.

When I read the article about the weekly collection I wasn’t that excited, I think the fortnightly collections encourages recycling, I know it’s harder for bigger family’s though so maybe a middle ground can be found

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 20:01 
Ready for action

Woo, I'm in the bin thread!
We have a grey general waste bin,collected once fortnightly.
A blue recycling bin, collected on the alternating weeks also fortnightly.
A brown garden waste bin, collected when I notice the neighbours have put theirs out.
A black glass box, collected once monthly with the blue bin.
The first three are tall plastic wheely bins which I couldn't see any animals getting in and which if they smell, its only when you open them. No smell escapes otherwise.
The glass box is also plastic with a lid.
I would be pretty outraged if I found out so much money was being spent on increasing collections again, is this just an English thing? I'd imagine so, as we have had our council tax frozen for a couple of years!
I take Craigs point that the problem is missing collections, but what was the root cause of that? Isurely that should be resolved before increasing the scheduled collections.
When people are being made redundant from public service roles, students are paying high fees and budgets are being cut left right and centre this seems an extraordinary waste of money.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 20:39 
Excellent Member

I just throw all mine through the door behind which the thing in the basement lurks. Of course, if I've mainly been eating out that week I sometimes have to shove a hapless visitor down those stairs.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:45 
Unpossible!

IMPORTANT BIN NEWS FROM THE WIRRAL

Quote:
We would like your views on proposed changes to your bin collections.

Wirral has a target of recycling 50% of its household waste by 2020. We are currently recycling around 36%. To achieve our target we need to be recycling at least 16,000 tonnes more waste every year. We can't meet this target if we continue with our current scheme.

We are asking you to consider two different options for the collection of your green general waste bin and give us your comments or suggestions.

What’s changing?

Time for a greener system! A third of your waste could be recycled through a food recycling collection.

Like many other councils we will be introducing a separate weekly food recycling collection from spring 2017.

Introducing a separate food recycling collection will mean changes to your green bin collections as there will be less waste to collect in the green bin.

Find out more about the changes and how they will affect you

So, it's either smaller general waste bins, or tri-weekly collections.

Let's have a referendum!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:00 
Comfortably Dumb

In Newcastle-under-Lyme, we've gone from this in 2011 (apologies for the Daily Mail link) to this a few weeks back. Progress!

Also, they changed the day of collection round here too, but pushed a leaflet through telling us about it on the day of the new collection.. after they'd been.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:10 

I think the weekly food collection sounds ace. It's really only food waste that smells, so collecting that often would be great. Cardboard, etc doesn't present so much of a problem. I'd definitely go for that option.

Russell, we need to get a waste disposal unit fitted when we get the new place. I miss our old one terribly.

They've put signs on the side of bin kitties here saying they are moving to fortnight my collections. I thought they'd been fortnightly for years, but them when I think about it I do see people put their bins out on the street EVERY Wednesday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:10 

Heard from a few different people now that pretty much all the waste that we carefully sort round here goes to the recycling centre, gets dumped in a massive pile and then shovelled up into a different truck and sent straight to landfill. The way they get the figures for recycling has nothing really at all to do with the amount of waste that is eventually recycled. The whole thing is a joke. They built a massive waste recycling plant which cost I think something in the region of £100 million but it's now been mothballed because it's not economically viable to operate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:23 

I hope to goodness that isn't true as it is not only a waste of everyone's time, but also resource and careless to the environment.

In better news, did you see that carrier bag use has dropped by about 85% since they introduced the charge?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

@Davpaz is a third of your weekly rubbish really food waste? I'm pretty sure mine isn't.

The local council here tried to go to fortnightly bin collections recently but it was thrown out by the councillors as they stated that the council needs to come up with better ways to save money, not just go straight for the easy win of reducing the bin collections.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:30 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:
Heard from a few different people now that pretty much all the waste that we carefully sort round here goes to the recycling centre, gets dumped in a massive pile and then shovelled up into a different truck and sent straight to landfill. The way they get the figures for recycling has nothing really at all to do with the amount of waste that is eventually recycled. The whole thing is a joke. They built a massive waste recycling plant which cost I think something in the region of £100 million but it's now been mothballed because it's not economically viable to operate.

I've heard much the same about every office, estate, council that I have lived or worked in. I'm sure they can't all be doing it, can they? Maybe it is some sort of urban myth. It'd have to be either illegal or at least a terrible PR disaster if something were to be proven to be dodgy. Are there many councils or companies to have been busted for this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:33 
Hello Hello Hello

It's once a week here, which is good as the wheelie bin is often full or near to full by the end of the week, which is probably a damning indication of how much rubbish we create.

There is also no plastic bag tax here, so we can still fill our boots in that regard. We use them as free waste bin liners for the house. (The small round ones in the bathroom/lounge, not the main one in the kitchen.)

Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next