Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yankee rules hitball
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 16:16 
Gogmagog

markh wrote:
Reminds me , i have got tickets for Yankees vs Oakland next month! i'm really, really looking forward to it.

I just looked into flying to NY or Boston to see the Yankees or the Red Sox to cover my birthday, but the season has ended by then. By a week.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 16:22 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
markh wrote:
Reminds me , i have got tickets for Yankees vs Oakland next month! i'm really, really looking forward to it.

I just looked into flying to NY or Boston to see the Yankees or the Red Sox to cover my birthday, but the season has ended by then. By a week.

I've wanted to go for ages for the experience as much as anything, but either mistimed it or been there when there was a really 'big' game on, where tickets were really hard to get/ridiculously expensive. I've always wanted to watch basketball at Madison Square Garden after a friend went, but i always seem to time it when it's the woman's B team friendlies....

was looking at booking some flights for work the other day, there is some decent deals with virgin at the moment - return flights friday - wednesday for around 300 pounds in early October.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 16:25 
Gogmagog

markh wrote:
MaliA wrote:
markh wrote:

I've wanted to go for ages for the experience as much as anything, but either mistimed it or been there when there was a really 'big' game on, where tickets were really hard to get/ridiculously expensive. I've always wanted to watch basketball at Madison Square Garden after a friend went, but i always seem to time it when it's the woman's B team friendlies....

was looking at booking some flights for work the other day, there is some decent deals with virgin at the moment - return flights friday - wednesday for around 300 pounds in early October.

The Giants against the Rockies was good at Pacific Bell park in 2001. Loved that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 16:29 
Excellent Member

Never been to a game anywhere before so really looking forward to it. Watched a game in a sports bar in Boston which had a fantastic atmosphere and made the sport click more with me. I possibly could have lived without all the 'soccer' experts though.....!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 15:31 

Wow, I never knew that occasionally the BBC does radio coverage of MLB, even if it is hidden away on a digital station.

Next game is

Quote:
Sunday, 31 July (coverage starts after Test cricket finishes - match starts @ 1910 BST)
Chicago White Sox v Boston Red Sox

Huzzah!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 16:21 

myoptikakaka wrote:
You need to read Zack Hample's 'Watching Baseball Smarter', and then after that 'Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game' by Michael Lewis. Both available on Kindle if that's your sort of thing.

Now finished both. The game's making far more sense now, and is far more fascinating. I'm glad I read Hample's book first as although it can get very technical it did explain some terms and concepts which were discussed in 'Moneyball'. I think I'm going to keep Hample's book close-by when /if I watch or follow a game as it looks like it'll be a handy reference for answering quick 'what was that about' questions.

'Moneyball' was really readable and I learnt loads from it. Feels odd that 2001 is a decade away though. Not sure if it'll make me an A's fan, but I was fascinated by how Beane approached the game as a businessman and entreprenuer, not as a player.

Thanks for the suggestions, Myp, and enjoy the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 17:31 
Slightly Brackish

Be interesting to see where the new market inefficiencies occur that a smaller team can exploit to stay competitive, since Theo Epstein basically took heed of the Oakland model and founded the Red Sox championship winning squads of 2003 and 2007 around the "get on base" philosophy (which is the main reason Beane never actually got Youkilis). Now everyone knows the value of OBP the market pays it appropriately.

Perhaps the closest thing going on right now is with my own Bluejays, who have made a habit of trading for players who are scheduled to become free agents very soon, simply to acquire the high round draft pick that comes as compensation for that player hitting free agency. As a result, there's a lot of young quality piling up in the farm system that hopefully comes to fruition in the next few seasons. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 18:36 
UltraMod

Kern wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, Myp, and enjoy the rest of the season.

No problem. I found the Hample book myself, but you have Alberto to thank for Moneyball as he turned me onto that.

I think teams might look more towards better defensive players that have been overlooked because they can't hit very well. Should be interesting...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:25 
Participant in dramatic games

myp, have you read soccernomics by simon super, it's money ball for football..

the mets are out.. not sure whom to support in the playoffs yet..

today a true amsterdam rotterdam clash in the dutch hoofdklasse (hey we're nr on the world cup, we play this game), amsterdam pirate has to win twice..
#playoffs">http://www.honkbalsite.com/competitie/2 ... l#playoffs

i heard their might be a great britain team on the WBC.. that would be fun..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 13:31 
UltraMod

romanista wrote:
myp, have you read soccernomics by simon super, it's money ball for football..

No, but I'll check it out. Maybe when I've found my football mojo.

Quote:
i heard their might be a great britain team on the WBC.. that would be fun..

Yep, we're in the qualification tournament - fingers crossed we get there!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 14:41 
Excellent Member

Hurrah, saw the first ever triple grand slam on my visit. The game was delayed for an hour and a half due to rain and was a little lacking in atmosphere - most people seemed more interested in the food

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 15:07 
Slightly Brackish

markh wrote:
Hurrah, saw the first ever triple grand slam on my visit.

Nice! But yeah, sometimes games drag a bit when one team is routing the other... I was watching it on MLBTV and apparently it was only about 5 minutes short of being the longest ever 9 inning game :S when you factor in the rain delay, can understand why people might have been a bit fidgety. I enjoyed Posada just barely getting the final out playing 2nd base most though :D

Romanista> as a Mets fan, you pretty much have to root for a National league team in the playoffs... but you can't root for Philadelphia or Atlanta due to rivalries. Which is going to leave you with Milwaukee or whoever makes it in the West out of Arizona and San Francisco. Given that Milwaukee nabbed Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez 6 weeks ago then most Mets fans wouldn't be able to root for them, so I think you're left with Arizona/San Francisco as your team. SF would be nice given the Carlos Beltran connection I think but they'd have to catch Arizona first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 17:28 
Excellent Member

The Yankees did not look that hot at all until the 5th/6th innings then they seemed to keep it together and Oakland crumbled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 

Alberto wrote:
Romanista> as a Mets fan, you pretty much have to root for a National league team in the playoffs... but you can't root for Philadelphia or Atlanta due to rivalries. Which is going to leave you with Milwaukee or whoever makes it in the West out of Arizona and San Francisco. Given that Milwaukee nabbed Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez 6 weeks ago then most Mets fans wouldn't be able to root for them, so I think you're left with Arizona/San Francisco as your team. SF would be nice given the Carlos Beltran connection I think but they'd have to catch Arizona first.

yup, normally i support the national league team in the world series, and SF (as NY Giants one of the Mets' parents in a way) is a normal choice, but as you say, it's a bit of a who's left game, since philiies and atlanta are obviously the enemy, and I can't see myself supporting a team from xenophobic arizona...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:21 
Slightly Brackish

I like San Francisco, great city, but as a team I love their youth and great pitching (my preference over great hitting) and always find it very easy to root for them, at least now Barry Bonds is out of the way. Beautiful ballpark too, my second favourite of the five I've been to after Fenway Park (and if I ever get round them all I doubt it'll drop out of my top 5). Definitely pulling for them over the Diamondbacks, although their improvement has been a great story. I'm partial to the Brewers too, lot of great characters on their team and one of my poker buddies got to throw out the first pitch at a game for them last year, so I'd be happy to see them do well too. Phillies, meh, not fussed, although I do have man crushes on Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee so I'm not against them per se. Not fussed for Braves though, especially now Bobby Cox has retired.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 13:27 

roy halladay shares my exact birthday..

i'm okay with milwaukee too by the way...small market team coming up..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 

tomorrow to the fourth game of the holland series, our variant of the world series, should be fun, guessing 3000 people in the stands..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:45 
Gogmagog

myp it wrote:
Hurrah! Let me know how you get on.

Those two books were most excellent, thank you very much, sir. Really enjoyed them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 18:40 

So the Braves and the Red Sox both fail to make the playoffs. Oh well, better find another team to root for. Other than the Yankees, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 0:07 
UltraMod

I still haven't stopped laughing about the Crud Sux. Hilarious stuff!

I won't be laughing in a week's time though - the Tigers should blow the Yankees out of the water. Verlander is just too good. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 

Kern wrote:
So the Braves and the Red Sox both fail to make the playoffs. Oh well, better find another team to root for. Other than the Yankees, of course.

]

amazing noguht, lots of mails and texts to the states.. and although i like the sox, seeing great failure is even more fun..

i'm cheering for the cardinals now, as the classic team, and the tigers, since detroit is a ghost town..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:48 

romanista wrote:
seeing great failure is even more fun..

Yes! It is impressive how both teams managed to completely crash out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:49 
UltraMod

Kern wrote:
romanista wrote:
seeing great failure is even more fun..

Yes! It is impressive how both teams managed to completely crash out.

I don't like being fair to the Sox, but they did have a ridiculous number of pitchers get injured. Still funny though. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 20:10 

so.. yankees out.. phillies out...

i hope tigers-cardinals, cardinals win in 7 (although detroit is due some fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCObHJlkiU)

i fear rangers-brewers, with rangers winning...

trivia fact: what's unique about this nlcs...?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:26 
Slightly Brackish

romanista wrote:
trivia fact: what's unique about this nlcs...?

It's to do with the fact that the Brewers last reached the postseason when they were in the AL, and played the Cards in the 1982 World Series while there... so, first time two teams who have contested a World Series have played each other in divisional play-off game? Or similar?

Personally rooting for Tigers, indifferent between Brewers and Cards, for some reason I've never really been able to get behind Texas though... maybe it's just their historic lack of pitching in their small hitter friendly park that is incompatible with my love of pitching duels.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:43 

indeed,,
go cards! 2-1!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 13:16 

yeah! the dutch are in the final of the world cup of baseball..
http://www.mundialbeisbolpanama2011.org ... tenido=176

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:14 

so bloody rangers taking the lead.. go cards!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 22:23 

what! a! game! six!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 0:42 
UltraMod

Trying to stay up for the decider!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:28 
UltraMod

St Louis Cardinals win 6-2 and take the World Series. Thoroughly deserved!

Roll on April.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 

my biological baseball alarm woke me up at 5 Am (dutch time), so i could see live the final 3 outs.. great series!

your season finished as well now, Myp?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 14:28 
UltraMod

Our BBF AA Midlands Division season finished in September, but we've entered a team into the BUBA Winter League. It's a chance to try out some new/fringe players. I'm managing the team. :S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 15:17 
UltraMod

Paging Romanista.

Yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 18:35 
Slightly Brackish

Jesus cocking fuck 8)

Nationals' catcher Wilson Ramos was abducted playing winter league in Venezuela earlier this month too, fortunately he was rescued unharmed after 5 days following a shootout :S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:08 

when i saw this thread popping up again i thought i would be paged.. it's a weird story, apparantly it was a dispute between the brothers over too loud music.. sad stuff, just as baseball was enjoying so much good press here after the world title..

at half time during ajax-nac we jeered with 50.000 on his team mates..

and wierdest was, yet another halman is involved in the murder of one of the most prominent ajax-hardcore fans (who has a fan clothing empire)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:26 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

So Prince Fielder is getting a $214 Million Ten year deal from the Detroit Lions eh? Reckon I could be bothered getting up in the morning for that kind of money.

A question for the baseball fans: Is all the money guaranteed (unlike the NFL were they sign humungous contracts but only ever see a couple of years of it)?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 21:29 
UltraMod

Yep, money is guaranteed. If he moves to another team they have to take on the remaining years of his contract on the same terms. It leads to some interesting situations where teams who have players they want to get rid of but are on massive contracts will offer to pay part of those contracts as a sweetener to the teams taking them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 17:47 
UltraMod

Here's me modelling the 2012 Nottingham Rebels uniform! Not long until the season starts now...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 17:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I like how they've colour matched the outfit to your living room.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 18:55 
Slightly Brackish

Craster wrote:
I like how they've colour matched the outfit to your living room.

That's where they play their home games innit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:03 

professional looking sir!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 22:09 

Very sleek!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 20:06 
UltraMod

For anyone interested in baseball this side of the pond, here's a preview of the 2012 BBF season, although the Rebels aren't mentioned except in the opening day schedule (and they're using our old logo to boot):

http://www.britishbaseball.org/news_article/show/136716

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 21:53 
Sleepyhead

You look like a massive belmer.

I'd love to hae a game though!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 21:05 

New season!

Metd just tarted with 3 victories

Probably jinxed them noe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 20:06 

The author of XKCD ponders what happens if you threw a baseball at (almost) the speed of light.
http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

Any of the sciency or baseball people care to comment?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:41 

greatarticle..... good grpahics, and the last interpretatation of the rule is cool too..

National League won the all start game 8-0.. power balance shifting?

and @myoptika, we've seen the uniforms, but not heard any results?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:58 
UltraMod

romanista wrote:
National League won the all start game 8-0.. power balance shifting?

and @myoptika, we've seen the uniforms, but not heard any results?

Shifted, I'd say - NL have won the last three now.

I resigned as manager on the opening day of the season before a ball was pitched. Long story! A blessing in some ways as I wouldn't have time anyway. I've taken a step back for a while until work and the band settles down a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:22 

so i want to the european baseball champs 2 times last week, saw GBR losing to france in a woeful match, then playing better and winning against the czechs (who beat us a day later)

first game 3 spectators and 4 scouts, days afterwards quite a lot of beautiful czech girls

best of all i got in free those two days, as i arrived at thw 2nd inning (kids to bed).. utrechtsbaseball field is only 4 minutes of cycling from my home

today i'm taking the train to rotterdam though, where the final is, they kind of have a proper baseball stadium for 4000 spectators... and we might become european champions, never seen anyone become european champs before, so that should be fun.. we play against our archrival italy, natch, we lost to them yesterday in the final group match

http://www.ekhonkbal2012.nl/en

Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next