Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 14:01 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Now then, The Shadow Line on the Beeb 2 of a Thursday night.

I watched episode 1 and was rather confused at the end, but I'm sure that was what was intended. Even so, I found it enthralling and was hooked enough to watch episode 2 last night. I found it had enough tension and menace to keep me interested, and I thought Rafe Spall played the mad gangster extrmely well, considering the only other thing I remember seeing him in is Pete V Life, which is a very lightweight role.

I also found Chrostopher Eccleston's character intriguing. He clearly wants out of the madness and is doing a careful balancing act keeping Rafe from killing or maiming everyone on site, and pulling off the mega deal with the Turks that will set him up for life, and doing all that while devastated by his wife's incurable dementia.

Added to all that, we have the policeman who can't remember how he got shot or why there's a bag full of money hidden in his closet, and the shadowy figure of Mr Gatehouse, who could be on either side, but seems to know an awful lot about everyone and everything.

By the end of episode 2 I was thoroughly enjoying it.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:52 
Excellent Member

Right now I'm trying to watch it's episode 7.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

Thanks k.kyle! Do you have a stutter?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 16:23 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Was episode 7 any good?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 0:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Just finished watching Episode 7 of The Shadow Line on iplayer, what an amazing series. First time in a long time I've made a proper effort to watch an entire series of anything from start to finish during its broadcast window, rather than just grabbing the DVD(s) at my convenience sometime later.

Mrs AE found it all a bit too harrowing and gruelling so since Episode 2 I've been watching it by myself after she's gone to bed, and even by my somewhat dark tastes I have to concede it's a thoroughly cheerless experience.

It's not perfect, the dialogue has been a bit strained sometimes, and it has perhaps tried to do a bit too much with too many characters, but overall it's been truly compelling and worthwhile viewing - plus it's had the benefit of some superb acting performances.

The last episode was fucking jet black though, utterly bleak and desperate,
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Christopher Ecclestone committing suicide by gangster when he realised he'd lost his wife to her illness was particularly unexpected, but as soon as he decided to meet Wratten Jnr without a gun, I knew he'd decided to die. Plus Gabriel gets murdered as well, basically hardly anyone who's even remotely nice survives, and the crooks and hoodlums prevail - so it is at least realistic.

Overall I'm saying 9/10, and definitely one to get on DVD when it comes out, a second watch through for this could be very rewarding I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:01 
Noob as of 6/8/10

:this: Thoroughly enthralling, with twist after twist to the plot, so you were never absolutely sure who was on which side, or even how many sides there were. Rafe Spall played the psycho perfectly, but there were a lot of other good performances too. The meeting between Glickman and Gatehouse in the clock shop was full of menace, even though it was conducted in very calm tones and was perhaps my favourite scene from the whole series.

And the whole undercover drug trafficking exercise by the police to fund their pension fund was genius.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:15 
Unpossible!

Started watching Misfits last night. It shows promise. I however an unable to decipher a single word that Kelly says.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Warhead wrote:
:this: Thoroughly enthralling, with twist after twist to the plot, so you were never absolutely sure who was on which side, or even how many sides there were. Rafe Spall played the psycho perfectly, but there were a lot of other good performances too. The meeting between Glickman and Gatehouse in the clock shop was full of menace, even though it was conducted in very calm tones and was perhaps my favourite scene from the whole series.

Rebecca Nicholoson's blog at The Guardian has been consistently funny and informative. I've been reading it every week the day after broadcast to see what she and other people were making of the unfolding events.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... sode-seven

I'm straight onto this when the DVD comes out, I think if anything it'll be better on a second watch through, although prior knowledge of the approaching tragedy and carnage will make it almost unbearably sad in places I fear.

The one character I really, REALLY wanted to see get out intact was Bede (Christoper Eccleston (fuck me that guy can act)) and his wife. Even Gabriel I was sort of indifferent about as whilst there was always the possibility he'd turn out to be a good cop (and indeed he did), he was still a cheating bastard. And yet no, Bede just sees his wife's health deteriorate to the point that he gives up on life himself and chooses to get his head blown out by a scheming scumbag of a betraying gangster, whilst his wife literally begs for death.

And then after Gabriel is murdered, his wife delivers the baby they had been trying for for so long, and the head honcho bad guy copper basically turns up to them in her hospital and says 'we own this life', and the look on her face says she knows it's true.

Evil and corruption win, and the little guys can't do fuck all about it.

Welcome to the world.

Little factoid, vast chunks of this were shot on the Isle of Man, we've been playing 'spot the location' after every episode :)

EDIT - Anyone who's a fan of Christopher Eccleston should check out 'CRACKER' - where he delivers a mesmerising performance as a (good) copper - http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=841569

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 
Noob as of 6/8/10

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
EDIT - Anyone who's a fan of Christopher Eccleston should check out 'CRACKER' - where he delivers a mesmerising performance as a (good) copper - http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=841569

:this: :this: :this: :this: :this:

That was another genius series, with first class performances from a first class cast.

Little factoid, vast chunks of this were shot on the Chorlton-cum-Hardy and other parts of Manchester and we always play 'spot the location' during every episode.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Warhead wrote:
:this: :this: :this: :this: :this:

That was another genius series, with first class performances from a first class cast.

Little factoid, vast chunks of this were shot on the Chorlton-cum-Hardy and other parts of Manchester and we always play 'spot the location' during every episode.

You sir, have excellent taste.

I had a little rave about Cracker earlier in this thread :)

viewtopic.php?p=492359#p492359

Me and Mrs AE were actually students at Manchester Uni when Cracker was being shot, so it's both an excellent series and very nostalgic for us. Such as the scenes shot in the Flea 'N Firkin where we used to drink together (when we should have been in lectures.....).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:07 
Sleepyhead

L-I-V... E-R-P...

etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 
Unpossible!

Curiosity wrote:
L-I-V... E-R-P...

etc.

For years I thought Robert Carlyle was a real scouser.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:56 
Noob as of 6/8/10

DavPaz wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
L-I-V... E-R-P...

etc.

For years I thought Robert Carlyle was a real scouser.

For years I thought Tim Spall was a real West Brommy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 22:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Anyone else been watching Sirens? It's really very, very good. Yes, we've had plenty of medicine/hospital based dramas and comedies, but it's really, really good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 23:09 
Sleepyhead

I have watched one and a quarter episodes, and really enjoy it. It has a lot of things that should make me dislike it, I think, but it really carried it all of with a lot of charm and panache, which is odd since most of the characters lack those attributes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 23:11 
INFINITE POWAH

Curiosity wrote:
I have watched one and a quarter episodes, and really enjoy it. It has a lot of things that should make me dislike it, I think, but it really carried it all of with a lot of charm and panache, which is odd since most of the characters lack those attributes.

That almost exactly echoes what we thought, actually. The main character, for instance, is a charmless, irritating goit.

Yet, some how, it all works.

I'm going to hunt down the paramedic's blog it's based on, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:57 
baron of techno

Is that the one from the guy who made the "Coppers" documentary last year? Because that was excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:58 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'm going to hunt down the paramedic's blog it's based on, too.

Huh, I didn't realise that was based on Brian Kellett's blog, as it's absolutely nothing like it. I did really enjoy the one episode I caught, so will likely watch it again.

You should certainly check out that blog, and his two books (which are just archives of blog entries, really). Sadly, he doesn't write any more as I think he's left the Ambulance service.

Still. Sirens: good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 16:50 
Sleepyhead

Holy crap! The Asian chap in Sirens is the Fonejacker!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:08 
INFINITE POWAH

And the gay one is Robb Stark!

The main character reminds me, unpleasantly, of Brian Connolly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 15:26 
INFINITE POWAH

Oooh, episode 3 of this was very good. Rachid is quite a sad character, really. The whole suicide thing was a bit black, too. Ambulance surfing was very amusing.

Being a complete bloke for the moment, the counsellor's hot, but Mr[s][edit] K says she's got a wonky face.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 15:41 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
but Mr K says she's got a wonky face.

Teehee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 15:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Heh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 15:45 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Heh.

I had a sudden, horrible image of you conversing with your nether regions whilst a sitcom plays quietly in the background.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 23:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I've just watched Coppers on C4. It's like a normal "policemen chase criminals" show, but it shows the police as real people, suffering with the crap bits the job, and dicking around much like you or I would do.

Notable moments involve a RTO shouting at a woman "If you can't see the fucking great big yellow Range Rover with flashing lights on top driving past you, what chance has someone in a Corsa got?", "Whoop! Whoop! Sound of da police!" done with actual police sirens, and a bored RTO hiding around a corner and muttering "Oh, come on, baddies..." to himself.

It's really good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:59 
baron of techno

Coppers is indeed brilliant. See page 1 and 2 of this thread :)
My favorite was the road traffic episode as well. Amazingly well done, if it had been a written drama it would've been nowhere near as good.

For some reason one of those cops reminded me of Craster.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 0:38 
Hello Hello Hello

I've been keeping half an eye on Russell Howard's Good News on iplayer.

There's a clue in the title as to what it's about, and I've always found the guy himself to be on the right side of annoying twat, he does come over as a genuinely nice bloke.

At the end of every episode he picks a 'heartwarming story' from the week's news, which sounds incredibly cheesy and shite, but almost always ends up being quite moving and uplifting.

Skip to 25m30s on this link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_2/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 
INFINITE POWAH

I've watched both series of his Good News fairly avidly. I like Russell Howard a lot, which is rare for a telly comedian. I think his having left Mock The Week helps, however.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:23 
Excellent Member

I endured Show Me The Funny last night. It was a classic example of a half-hour show which they stretched out to fill an hour slot. Most of it was tedious travelogue stuff and "challenges". I may tune in for the live final, but not for the next four episodes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:24 
Gogmagog

Alarm wrote:
I endured Show Me The Funny last night. It was a classic example of a half-hour show which they stretched out to fill an hour slot. Most of it was tedious travelogue stuff and "challenges". I may tune in for the live final, but not for the next four episodes.

It was terrible, wasn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 17:25 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:

Yes. There was ten minutes maximum of stand-up, five or so of 'judging' and the rest was just filler. The Twitter hashtaging mostly agreed that it was terrible.

I wouldn't have even entertaining watching it without Twitter - there's a simple joy to be had tweeting alongside others while watching TV. I don't do this for stuff that I really want to watch, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 17:30 
Gogmagog

Alarm wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:

Yes. There was ten minutes maximum of stand-up, five or so of 'judging' and the rest was just filler. The Twitter hashtaging mostly agreed that it was terrible.

I wouldn't have even entertaining watching it without Twitter - there's a simple joy to be had tweeting alongside others while watching TV. I don't do this for stuff that I really want to watch, though.

Whilst watching it, I did think of an incredibly offensive joke, which has kept me chuckling through most of the day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 
Sleepyhead

MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:

Whilst watching it, I did think of an incredibly offensive joke, which has kept me chuckling through most of the day.

Which was?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:28 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:

Which was?

not terribly funny. but enough to amuse me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:29 
Sleepyhead

MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:

Which was?

You're a dick.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Alarm wrote:

Which was?

Was it "His name is Prince... and he is unfunny"?

It amused me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 21:08 
baron of techno

Warhead wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Warhead wrote:
Did you see the Beeb series: The Secret Life of the National Grid?

No, I'll hunt it down though.

One of those naughty torrenty places appears to have all three parts.

I'm having some of that! I did my work experience at the Scottish grid control centre, and also went into some of the hydro plants with the engineers.
Mrs Thatcher had just instigated the whole energy pool thing and there was turmoil at the HQ.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 23:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Briefly referenced by Findus up in the Song Wars forum, but deserves a mention here. (And thanks to Findus for mentioning it or I wouldn't have been aware of its existence at all.)

New series of Shooting Stars on iPlayer now.

I was in a grotty fucking mood 35 minutes ago (various IRL things), so I sat down to eat my tea, put on Shooting Stars, and was pretty much determined it would be crap and not make me laugh, and that I'd go to bed grumpy.

Within 5 minutes I was laughing like a loon and within 10 minutes it was tears of laughter. The fact it's pretty much exactly the fucking same as it was back in 1993 should count against it, both Vic and Bob are older and fatter, and you can't help but think it's going to be a case of 'Oh come on guys give it a rest', but when a programme is so joyously and utterly carefree you can't help but let it get the better of you and start laughing along.

If you never liked Shooting Stars before then you're not going to like this, because it's absolutely more of the same - but otherwise, it's a an absolute gem.

I'm gonna watch it again tomorrow with Mrs AE, as this was a programme we always made a point of watching together during its original run 93-97 (back when you made sure you were in front of the telly when what you wanted to watch was on, or you'd carefully set the video recorder in advance) and I'm 100% sure she's going to love it as well.

'Who would win in a fight between a radio-controlled sex falcon and a criminally insane hover-lobster?'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:31 
Space detective

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
New series of Shooting Stars on iPlayer now.

Marvellous, wasn't it? A real return to top form after the good-but-not-great last series. I'd been expecting it to be pretty poor after Vic & Bob's daily sketches for Fosters proved to be mostly on the uninspired and lazy side (though with the occasional gem), but there was a relentless energy running through the whole first episode. It remains to be seen if they fall into the familar trap of repeating the exact same jokes every week, but given the brilliant interview the duo gave in last week's TV & Satellite Week (don't think it's online anywhere, and it's best avoided if you dislike spoilers), and the fact that a forthcoming episode has...
Mr Brian Butterfield
...as a guest, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Speaking of Reeves & Mortimer, here's the unbroadcast pilot episode of Big Night Out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:35 
Time Out for Fun

Although I've heard some pretty rubbish reviews about Fresh Meat, my mate's band's music (which also has my sister singing), The Dark Sky Singers, are going to played during the show this week. So I'll guess I'll have to watch it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 16:52 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Possibly one for Malc - but Rab C is going to return (again)

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/nddbt ... bitt-broke

6th October

Quote:
Rab returns home to find Mary has kidnapped the government minister for work as payback for losing her job. But now they have him, the couple have no idea what to do next - and as a full-scale siege develops, they are mistaken for terrorists. Gregor Fisher and Elaine C Smith star, with guest appearances from Richard E Grant and John Sessions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 16:55 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

No more TV Burp after this season (or at least not with Harry Hill which would remove the reason for watching it)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/se ... it-tv-burp

Quote:
Harry Hill will reportedly walk away from hit show TV Burp next year when his multimillion-pound contract with ITV comes to an end.

Hill has told ITV executives he will quit the award-winning show after nine years – 10 including the pilot – according to Thursday's Sun.

However, Avalon, the independent producer of TV Burp, said on Thursday that a final decision has not yet been reached about Hill's future with the show. Hill is also represented by Avalon Management, the company's talent agency business.

It is understood that Hill plans to see out the remainder of his two-year contract with ITV, signed in March 2010, which ends with an eight-episode series of TV Burp in early 2012. The new series of TV Burp begins next Saturday night.

A spokesman for Avalon said: "Harry has a lot of commitments in the next year, but a final decision has not yet been reached and everyone is very much looking forward to the upcoming series."

Hill, 46, is ready to end his 10-year run fronting the ITV1 Saturday night comedy show because of the gruelling filming schedules, according to the Sun.

The father of three, who also hosts You've Been Framed! on ITV, reportedly turned down a £1m pay rise to stay at ITV. The Sun reported that Hill has been offered a writing role on Simon Cowell's X Factor The Musical.

An ITV spokesman said: "Harry Hill's TV Burp returns to ITV1 for a new series next week, with a further series in early 2012. We have a great relationship with Harry and look forward to this continuing."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 19:31 
Space detective

zaphod79 wrote:
No more TV Burp after this season (or at least not with Harry Hill which would remove the reason for watching it)

While you could hardly blame Harry Hill for wanting to leave a show that's so demanding, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this were part of an Avalon ruse to get more money out of ITV. About a year or so ago, a story had 'leaked' to newspapers that Harry Hill and TV Burp were about to move to Sky for megabucks - only for news of Harry Hill signing an improved contract with ITV a few days later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

Runcle wrote:
Although I've heard some pretty rubbish reviews about Fresh Meat, my mate's band's music (which also has my sister singing), The Dark Sky Singers, are going to played during the show this week. So I'll guess I'll have to watch it.

So... is Fresh Meat any good?* It has links to The Inbetweeners doesn't it? I saw it was on TV last night, but couldn't be arsed to watch it :D

* by which I obviously mean, how does it fair on the craster scale...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:26 
Gogmagog

Fades is OK. Fresh Meat, not so much, but i'm probably the wrong demographic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:14 

Trooper wrote:
So... is Fresh Meat any good?* It has links to The Inbetweeners doesn't it?
Only in so far as it shares one actor. It's written by the two blokes who write Peep Show, though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ah, in my drunken haze last night, i knew something was linked to something :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:08 
Ready for action

I've watched two episodes of Fresh Meat and enjoyed it, it's raiosed a few laughs. Watched ep 1 of the fades last night, really good and quite creepy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:14 
Time Out for Fun

Just realised the band I was on about are on Spotify. I still haven't watched the episode though.

This is the song that's meant to be on in fresh meat.

http://open.spotify.com/track/0ThUZAwyFXPHB4xisqbLKg

I prefer the song after stars actually, piano, got national vibes about it for national fans.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 20:50 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I like The Body Farm except for the fucking stupid opening and closing voice-over remarks made by Tara Fitgerald's character. Nevertheless, I've always had a hard-on soft spot for her.

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 47  Next