Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rasslin'
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 0:52 
Chu chu chu!

The new Shimmer show just came out, yay :)

I've been giving this promotion a second shot after Nirejhenge's recent comments here, I'm just loving it this time around. So much talent and enthusiasm, and there's no-one on the roster who isn't at least watchable. I think I'm a bit smitten with Daizee Haze and MsChif :luv: .

And as I've been starting from Vol. 1 there's still awesome performers like Hamada to look forward to, and Kong's just shown up. Aces.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:12 
Gogmagog

After reviewing Youtube footage, Scotty 2 Hotty > Everything.

Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:16 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I didn't realise Yokozuna died in Liverpool. Ace.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 15:33 
Goth

SisterCheeba wrote:
The new Shimmer show just came out, yay :)

I've been giving this promotion a second shot after Nirejhenge's recent comments here, I'm just loving it this time around. So much talent and enthusiasm, and there's no-one on the roster who isn't at least watchable. I think I'm a bit smitten with Daizee Haze and MsChif :luv: .

And as I've been starting from Vol. 1 there's still awesome performers like Hamada to look forward to, and Kong's just shown up. Aces.

In Vol.26 That I just watched Daizee Vs Vicky Off of Fuzzbox (Raina Von Tash) was quite good. It was nice to have a handshake afterwards. I think it's a shame that we don't see that more in the big promotions. It's rare we get the face vs face honourable match up. It's one thing I love about the Warrior vs Hogan match at WM6 (my all time favourite match). Let's encourage the idea of sporting competition more, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:01 
Chu chu chu!

Absolutely. It's also refreshing to see simple, fun angles and a minimum of out-of-ring fuss, although that might have a lot to do with my following latter-day TNA.

Speaking of which, morbid curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see how things are going over in bizarro Bischoff land at the moment. I thought it was grim a few months ago, but christ on a bike. Barely any Knockouts left, meandering bollocks stories that go nowhere when they're not making no sense at all (yea, still), almost nothing left worth watching. Still, they had it coming considering how they supposedly treat their talent. If even a fraction of the stuff in that link is true, that's fucking disgraceful for the second-biggest promotion going.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 
Goth

That's pretty shocking. Interesting to hear of the Knockouts being a ratings draw. I thought most people hated them.

I'd like to think that this could lead to Shimmer getting bigger but there seems an inherent sexism toward such things. The shimmer athletes have proved themselves just as capable and entertaining as the male lot. Though the womens matches on TNA are rarely as well put together. I'd just love to see Shimmer on a bigger budget.

TNA's X division still remains pretty entertaining, just so long as it's cruiserweight type stuff.

I don't understand why they are still putting out old washed up guys as main eventers. Hogan, Nash, Ric Flair, Scott Hall - all great in their day but it's time to retire.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:52 
Gogmagog

Nirejhenge wrote:

I don't understand why they are still putting out old washed up guys as main eventers. Hogan, Nash, Ric Flair, Scott Hall - all great in their day but it's time to retire.

Perhaps the demographic has shifted, and, if the industry is on the wane, it's what gets the crowds in, more than newer people?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 
Goth

Maybe. I think I've found wrestling doesn't seem to have the draw that it used to. I used to sell loads of it at my stall but few people bother now. There's the occasional mad collector.

It's just every report I read about a PPV seems very damning of the use of these tired has beens.

Anyway I want more womens wrestling. And not in the playboy bunnies stripping each other style either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I don't find the use of the old wrestlers to be a problem, but I find the ridiculous repetitiveness of the match booking to be terrible. Answering for WWE, because I don't watch TNA, but we're just seeing the same matches with the same wrestlers over and over again, week after week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 14:16 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Craster wrote:
I don't find the use of the old wrestlers to be a problem, but I find the ridiculous repetitiveness of the match booking to be terrible. Answering for WWE, because I don't watch TNA, but we're just seeing the same matches with the same wrestlers over and over again, week after week.

And year after year. I gave up on WWE for over a year and when I finally caught a PPV card, it had exactly the same main event as when I stopped watching it.

Nirejhenge wrote:
Maybe. I think I've found wrestling doesn't seem to have the draw that it used to. I used to sell loads of it at my stall but few people bother now.

Would you like some tips on how to sell wrestling DVDs? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 14:20 
Goth

I did pretty well out of your DVDs Mr Vision. Thank you for those. I doubt I'd do so well now. Hard times.

So where's the wrestling at these days (other than Shimmer)?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 14:48 
Sleepyhead

For overall product - WWE

For pure wrestling and hilarity, probably Chikara Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:27 
Rude Belittler

Chikara is very, very good indeed. Shame its very difficult to actually follow, as you have to buy DVDs to keep up.

The big problem with WWE is that there simply isn't enough men on the roster to support two brands.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Pundabaya wrote:
The big problem with WWE is that there simply isn't enough men on the roster to support two brands.

Absolutely. The brand split was a moronic idea, and they really need to reverse it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pundabaya wrote:
Chikara is very, very good indeed.

I didn't really like Shewolf.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:35 
Goth

I don't like WWE. Haven't done for a long time. It just doesn't do it for me somehow. TNA isn't much better but I still find it better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 15:49 
Sleepyhead

Craster wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

Absolutely. The brand split was a moronic idea, and they really need to reverse it.

Disagree strongly with both of the above.

Will explain later.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 21:04 
Worst

MaliA wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:

Perhaps the demographic has shifted, and, if the industry is on the wane, it's what gets the crowds in, more than newer people?

The demographic has actually skewed younger. The older fans are watching MMA now, while the biggest names are kid-friendly superheroes like John Cena and Rey Misterio Jr. TNA hires has-beens for two reasons: said has-beens are friends of the people doing the hiring, and the company thinks that's easier than creating new, lasting, actual draws.

See: their recent hiring of the ECW cast-offs while casting off pretty much the whole women's division, which was a major draw for TNA at low cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:00 
Rude Belittler

throughsilver wrote:
Over the hill, fading stars who were largely big business. Let's not pretend they were TNA level. ;) Nash, Hogan, Hall, to a lesser extent Hart, all made coin for WCW.

If thats true, why did WCW only post a profit for one single year in their entire history?

WCW was Billionaire Ted Turner's folly. It lost money left and right, but Ted always had the money to shore it up. The actual reason it folded was because when AOL merged with Time-Warner, Ted lost control of his company, and once the new regime took a look at the books and shouted 'HOW MUCH?!' that was it. If Ted had remained in control, WCW would have never died, not unless they managed to bankrupt Turner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 
Excellent Member

Wrestlemania 30 is apparently being held at Madison Square Gardens. I'm seriously considering starting saving up to go as
1. I want to go back to NY
2. The flight isn't a killer
3. It'll be spectacular as it's an anniversary jobby (I remember WM25 being pretty special)
4. It's my 30th birthday that year
5. It's far enough away to save up for it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 
Unpossible!

Damn, I'd sit through a half-naked-fat-guy dance recital if it meant I could go back to NY.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:37 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
Damn, I'd sit through a half-naked-fat-guy dance recital if it meant I could go back to NY.

Got skype?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 15:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ange wrote:
Wrestlemania 30 is apparently being held at Madison Square Gardens. I'm seriously considering starting saving up to go as
3. It'll be spectacular as it's an anniversary jobby (I remember WM25 being pretty special)

Let me know, we'll hook up for a beer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 18:31 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Ange wrote:

Let me know, we'll hook up for a beer.

Are you going to NY for WM? Or have I completely missed something and you're moving to NY?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 18:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Just planning to go to WMXXX.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 23:13 
Worst

Pundabaya wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Over the hill, fading stars who were largely big business. Let's not pretend they were TNA level. ;) Nash, Hogan, Hall, to a lesser extent Hart, all made coin for WCW.

If thats true, why did WCW only post a profit for one single year in their entire history?

Because they were paying Nails and The Genius, as well as scores of others, for years after last using them. Because they used to make mini-movies to hype matches. Because they paid for the likes of Leno and Master P to come in for angles. I'm not denying they spunked money like nobody's business, but it'd be silly to deny former WWF stars made money for WCW.

Quote:
WCW was Billionaire Ted Turner's folly. It lost money left and right, but Ted always had the money to shore it up. The actual reason it folded was because when AOL merged with Time-Warner, Ted lost control of his company, and once the new regime took a look at the books and shouted 'HOW MUCH?!' that was it. If Ted had remained in control, WCW would have never died, not unless they managed to bankrupt Turner.

Known.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

No HHH. I am disappoint.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 
Sleepyhead

However, there were some awesome brief returns.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:39 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Curiosity wrote:

Like who? I didn't see the Rumble but I'm always interested in returns!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:55 

Booker T, Papa Shango* & Diesel. Sadly twitter & couponbook ruined the surprise for me :(
*Not really, it was just a rumour kicked off by this, the confusion around teh interwebs was amusing though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:34 
Worst

Diesel's a bit of a disappointing blast from the past. He was atrocious the last time he was in WWE.

That said, anyone I could think of being a good surprise is dead. Which, I suppose, would make it more surprising if they turned up. Nevertheless: Warlord, Haku and Sid still live.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:36 

Curiosity wrote:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:39 
Sleepyhead

throughsilver wrote:
Diesel's a bit of a disappointing blast from the past. He was atrocious the last time he was in WWE.

That said, anyone I could think of being a good surprise is dead. Which, I suppose, would make it more surprising if they turned up. Nevertheless: Warlord, Haku and Sid still live.

Well, Nash's knees are shot to hell and back, so he can't really wrestle worth a damn, but it was a fun nostalgia pop.

Also, Booker T's return led to much joking about when he and The Rock feuded. Plus he did the SPINAROONIE!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:42 
Worst

Best Booker T feud was against Austin, when they had the fight in the supermarket.

'When the moon hits yer eye, like a big pizza pie... that's AMORE' *hits Booker with a pizza*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:52 
Can you dig it?

Curiosity wrote:
Also, Booker T's return led to much joking about when he and The Rock feuded. Plus he did the SPINAROONIE!

:D Excellent. I quite enjoyed it when Booker T first came into WWF and that feud was fun. I might see if I can find a torrent....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 0:29 
Sleepyhead

"Who... In the blue hell... are you?"

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:03 
Slightly Brackish

I love the Spinaroonie!! :D

I also love Sid, the "King of the World", for reasons I'm not really sure of.

And since I haven't been in this thread before, a pint of beer to anyone who can guess my favourite wrestler of all time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 

Alberto wrote:
And since I haven't been in this thread before, a pint of beer to anyone who can guess my favourite wrestler of all time.

Tatanka.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:37 
Rude Belittler

*guesses* Vader?

WWE should hire Nash back full time as a manager/announcer/GM or something. He barely ever wrestled to his full capacity when he was young and healthy (theres a reason why he's known as Big Lazy) but he's always been golden on the mic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:02 
Can you dig it?

Alberto wrote:

Spike Dudley?

Also, my friend apparently 'high fived Matt Morgan and RVD'. I have no other details. I used to quite like RVD's moves ( :hat: )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:01 
Unpossible!

Alberto wrote:

Giant Haystacks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:17 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

throughsilver wrote:
Best Booker T feud was against Austin, when they had the fight in the supermarket.

'When the moon hits yer eye, like a big pizza pie... that's AMORE' *hits Booker with a pizza*

That was hilarious, quite vicious though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 18:46 
Worst

Alberto wrote:

The master... and the ruler... of the world!

In related news...

And since I haven't been in this thread before, a pint of beer to anyone who can guess my favourite wrestler of all time.[/quote]
Jake Roberts.

Bobbyaro wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

That was hilarious, quite vicious though.

Indeed. Loved it. They had two brawls like that, but i can't remember where the other one was... was it in a church? Like, Book confesses, and SCSA jumps our of the priesty bit?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 18:57 
Comfortably Dumb

Alberto wrote:

Arn Anderson.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 18:58 
Excellent Member

*pops back in now I've seen the rumble

Ange wrote:
Can someone please explain to me the point of Randy Orton? Seriously, he's talentless and dull to watch. My vocabulary is more varied than his wrestling repetoire & that's saying something! We're catching up with Raw from Monday night & Dolph Ziggler outclassed him at every turn, yet Orton performs two moves and wins. FFS.

There are two reasons for Orton to exist in the WWE.

Number 3: his stone cold psycho nipple H beating phase, which imo was actually quite good.
Number 2. So legacy can stand around with there tops off reenacting the werewolves from twilight.
Number 1. This moment watch all of it, you will not be disapoint.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 19:20 
Excellent Member

Oh and also this moment

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 19:24 
Slightly Brackish

So far nobody is correct... although I do have a soft spot for Vader since the very first bit of wrestling I ever saw on telly was Ron Simmons beating him for the WCW title after winning a raffle or something, so Pundabaya can have the dregs of my most recent pint.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 19:27 
Worst

Are we even near? What promotion/era?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 19:35 
Excellent Member

Alberto wrote:

Mick Foley?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 19:44 
Slightly Brackish

Multiple promotions, but my main era of watching wrestling was late 90s/early 00s WWF/E so that should narrow it down. Surprised you haven't guessed you though, since I obviously share his three main attributes...

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next