Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 16:04 
Noob as of 6/8/10

DBSnappa wrote:
Just watched Zen. I really liked this quite a lot. I like the fact that they've take an Italian police procedurial .....

:this: You mean they're mostly corrupt lechers and have volatile tempers?

DBSnappa wrote:
Caterina Murino is very pleasing to the eye as Aurelio Zen's love interest ...

:this: too. Seeing her chest joggle independently from the rest of her body when walking towards the camera makes it tricky to concentrate on the plot at times. (This is not a complaint.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 23:37 

Just watched the Penn & Teller thing. It was enjoyable, and refreshing to hear Penn be enthusiastic about the acts, rather than the usual scowling and grumpy judge routines most TV talent shows employ. I wasn't too impressed with the 'backstage' clip, which felt like it had been bolted on to provide some legitimacy to that magician's win, but he was certainly more impressive than the envelopes guy. Of course, I'd rather watch a Penn & Teller show in full, but better than nowt. And yes, their final trick was brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:29 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Did anyone watch that "Episodes" sitcom, starring Joey from Friends? It wasn't very funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:30 
Unpossible!

Squirt wrote:
Did anyone watch that "Episodes" sitcom, starring Joey from Friends? It wasn't very funny.

I heard about it, but I also heard it was from "The People that brought you Green Wing" and decided to not touch it with a barge pole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:15 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
Squirt wrote:

I heard about it, but I also heard it was from "The People that brought you Green Wing" and decided to not touch it with a barge pole

I heard about it, did a search on the internet which was amusing in itself, whoever thought that naming a TV show "Episodes" is a bloody idiot!
Read some reviews, didn't bother to add it to SickBeard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I found one of the jokes funny ( They go into the big fancy house, with it's big dual staircase, and the guy says "See! And you were worried we wouldn't have enough staircases" ) and even that wasn't particularly funny. It had the old problem of mistaking being "a bit clever" for being funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 17:23 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Being Human Season 3 starts in 10 days

http://www.bbc.co.uk/beinghuman/

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
Being Human returns to BBC Three on Sunday 23rd January 2011.

Mitchell, George and Nina are all BACK. And Annie... well, we can only hope.

This year's series is set to be better than ever, with the awesome foursome moving over the border to Wales in an effort to escape their past and start a new life. But things are never simple, and Mitchell's first job is to venture into purgatory and rescue Annie before she gets sent to hell.

But it's not just the amazing storylines we're looking forward to, there's also the guest stars to consider, including Lacey Turner (Eastenders), Robson Green (Wire In The Blood), Michael Socha (This Is England '86), Paul Kaye (It's All Gone Pete Tong), Craig Roberts (Young Dracula), Nicola Walker (Spooks), James Fleet (Vicar Of Dibley) and Jason Watkins returning as the unstoppable force that is Herrick.

Being Human creator Toby Whithouse said "A third series is a unique opportunity because it allows you to take all the best bits of series one and series two... What we took from series one is the domestic element and very strong stories of the week with very strong guest characters. Series two had much more of an epic sweep and a breadth of ambition. Series three has allowed us to combine all those things."

We've also got Becoming Human, our online extension that pushes the Being Human universe into new territory. Set in a college where supernaturals study among the living, a new host of characters will be trying to solve a very grizzly murder.

For more information on everything Being Human has to offer this year check out the latest press release.

Oh, and one question... are you excited?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 17:26 
Hibernating Druid

Oh nice. Been fack all on lately. Hope this third series is good.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:45 
Unpossible!

10 o'clock Live.

Disappointing. I gave up as the second break came on as I was knackered so if anything good came after that, I apologise. Some potential there. It seemed like they rewrote a chunk due to Johnson resigning. Carr's bits were cringe worthy, especially the Tunisia bit. Bordering on offensive.

Mitchell's round table bit needed to be longer. He needs to keep a reign on his jokes and involve the 3rd guest more. The MP was too serious, the banker not serious enough. Delicate balancing act.

Brooker's bit's were ok, but his hair is massively distracting. Weird.

Laverne. Hmm... the only one who's done some live TV before I think. Always smug looking, not all that funny. Not sure.

431 Bananas. Must try harder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:49 

DavPaz wrote:
10 o'clock Live.

Disappointing. I gave up as the second break came on as I was knackered so if anything good came after that, I apologise. Some potential there. It seemed like they rewrote a chunk due to Johnson resigning. Carr's bits were cringe worthy, especially the Tunisia bit. Bordering on offensive.

Mitchell's round table bit needed to be longer. He needs to keep a reign on his jokes and involve the 3rd guest more. The MP was too serious, the banker not serious enough. Delicate balancing act.

Laverne. Hmm... the only one who's done some live TV before I think. Always smug looking, not all that funny. Not sure.

Yeah, that's about what I thought. Only I'd say that a live show like this is never going to seem comfortable and right on the first episode. It always needs time to bed in while they figure out what works and what doesn't. I'll keep watching in the hope that they can make something of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 
Gogmagog

I thought it was unadulterated shit, and turned it off for QT. I'd be amazed if it runs to 15 episodes. If it were a racehorse, it'd have been taken around the back of the paddock and shot after the first 15 minutes. All involved have taken a nosedive in my estimation, massively so. It was as if it was written by a bunch of 6th formers who aren't in any way as clever nor avant garde as they have led themselves to be. That, or fucktons of cocaine.

AC's introduction on QT made me laugh more

EDIT: Grauniad afraid to slay their sacred cows

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 15:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Fast and Loose show 2 tonight.

I was surprised that the first show was actually funny, as for an improvised comedy show it is blatantly scripted.
It's no "Whose line..." but perfectly watchable and funny enough for me to setup a series link.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 23:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It had two of my favourite comedians on tonight, the drunk guy and the song mime guy.
I liked it a lot. Thought it started this week, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 
Isn't that lovely?

I sky+ed the repeat of this (10 oclock live) and watched it last night, I thought it was ok actually, it could have done with a bit more time around some of the debates (but then I often think that)

I probably like it, as this format is essentially my idea for a tv channel. Completely live tv 24 hours a day, like a radio station. A bit like "This morning" if you like, but there would be different shows with different themes. There would be various VT bits, but essentially if you took this show and mixed it with any radio show, this morning, live and kicking/going live/smtv that would be it.

Obviously it would really depend on the presenters as to if this would be a good idea or not, but I think it would be ace.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Being Human started again last night... Was quite impressed, looks like this series will be focused around Mitchell..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
Being Human started again last night... Was quite impressed, looks like this series will be focused around Mitchell..

I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, pretty good start.

Paul Kaye seems to be doing the rounds lately, he was in Shameless too last week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Although it does point out how it might end :)

The dogging bit made me laugh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 13:15 

I enjoyed Charlie Brooker's show on BBC2 last night. Why it wasn't just called 'Screenwipe' I don't know.

As with 'Screenwipe' and 'Newswipe', Brooker's analytical and descriptive bits were better than the sketches.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:12 
Sleepyhead

By the way, I never caught the first episode, but I thought the second episode of the 10 O'Clock Show (or whatever that show with Brooker, Carr, Mitchell and Laverne is) was very funny and entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:
By the way, I never caught the first episode, but I thought the second episode of the 10 O'Clock Show (or whatever that show with Brooker, Carr, Mitchell and Laverne is) was very funny and entertaining.

Indeed, I didn't even find the first show as bad as MaliA thought! :D
Perfectly watchable and funny in places, the second show was certainly better, but the first was by no means awful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 23:53 
Hibernating Druid

I thought the second episode of this series Being Human was below par.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 
PC Gamer

Zardoz wrote:

I thought it was pretty much exactly par, personally. It was precisely as good as I want the average episode of Being Human to be. Even George isn't annoying me as much as he used to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:44 
Noob as of 6/8/10

"Episodes" - watched the first one and couldn't be bothered to watch more. There were a couple of mildly amusing bits, but that was all.

"10 o'clock Show." - lots of promise, no delivery. Brooker needs to stick at what he's good at - his new prog on the Beeb was OK.

"Fast and Loose" - Rather like. The Sideways Scene has made me really laugh on all three episodes, and I also like their take on The Weakest Link, and the song mime thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 
Hibernating Druid

Rodafowa wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I thought it was pretty much exactly par, personally. It was precisely as good as I want the average episode of Being Human to be. Even George isn't annoying me as much as he used to.

But Mitchel was shit, the interview/distraction scene seemed out of place and he's pretty wimpy all of a sudden. Thank fuck the young vamp did one, for a while I thought he was going to be a new house mate. Didn't like him as a character.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 13:44 

The BBC did a no bad job last night with "Explosions: How we shook the world" & "Do we really need the moon?" :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 16:46 
baron of techno

Mad Dogs. Started out well, will watch again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 0:45 
Sleepyhead

Just finished watching Series 2 of Misfits, and the Xmas Special.

Excellent series, but some major annoyances with it.

Thoughts, spoilered for the sheer joy of it:

'Jesus' looked like a fat Matt Bellamy from Muse.

Anyway, Series 2 had some good bits, but also some really shit bits that annoyed me.

Future Simon is a bad-ass. That I can buy, despite it being basically wholesale lifted out of the first series of Heroes. I mean, to have a superhero show and then blatantly rip off a storyline from the most well known recent superhero show... that's a bit stupid.

Also agree that the actor playing Simon is excellent in how he switches between the two with very little difference in appearance, but his little mannerisms, great work.

But! And I appreciate that maybe they'll fill in these details (when they work them out):

1 - How did he know to the very second exactly where he needed to be each time?
2 - When he did know, how come every single time he left it to the last second and had to leg it at high speed across half of the effing city to get there just in the nick of time.
3 - Why didn't he just fucking stop the nasty man with the gun instead of getting killed by him? I don't buy that bullshit about him having to die to make sure she fell in love with him. That's just poor plotting, and completely ruined that episode for me (much like the even worse example in 'The Message' in Firefly).
4 - Curtis rewound time so Simon didn't find out about his future self, and yet in the 'three months on' bit he knows. I guess we can decide that she just went out and told him, but for that to happen off camera is crap, so much so that in the Xmas special they showed a recap of him finding out about it from the time that got erased by Curtis and as such never even freaking happened!

BUT!

Silly time travel nonsense and plotholes aside, it's a superb series, with some great writing, that isn't afraid to push boundaries and be equal parts touching, disgusting and funny.

Though Kelly and Curtis barely did anything in Season Two.

And Nathan must have over half of the dialogue for the entire show. But he's freaking hilarious. Love him.

The wife nearly exploded with laughter at the placenta scene.

Speaking of the Xmas episode, loved the ending, but thought they all parted with their powers a little quickly and easily (though Alicia is understandable).

So, overall, bring on series three! Great show!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I've been watching a bit of Gavin and Stacey this week - and I'm finding it quite entertaining. Am I broken?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 0:04 
Isn't that lovely?

So, Mad dogs was a bit good then?

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 
baron of techno

Haven't seen all of it yet, so shush. It's remaining good though. I *think* I know what's going on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 21:59 
Sleepyhead

Bloody hell!

Are people still watching Being Human?

I think the episode from last week was possibly the best one so far from any of the series. Amazing!

The guy who plays Herrick is my favourite actor on TV at the moment.

Post subject: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 

My only complaint about this season of Being Human is that everyone (except George, maybe) has at one point or another behaved so criminally stupid that I kinda want them to get caught now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 

I still haven't watched this episode yet. Guess I'll have to do so tonight then, based on this recommendation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 
Sleepyhead

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
My only complaint about this season of Being Human is that everyone (except George, maybe) has at one point or another behaved so criminally stupid that I kinda want them to get caught now.

Really? What has Mitchell done?

I see his actions as being that he's tortured about the incident (he says he 'wants to be punished', perhaps a subconscious reason why he keeps the scrapbook), and completely paranoid both about getting caught for it and getting killed by a werewolf.

Either way, Herrick is my hero.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:17 

They do seem to have gone a bit overboard with Annie's character, I mean she never used to be a perma-grinning dimbo did she?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 13:23 

Curiosity wrote:

Kept the INCRIMINATING SCRAPBOOK OF DOOM. Lied with spectacular ineptitude to a dedicated policewoman. Listened to Annie's stupid ideas. Made the most hamfisted job imaginable of interrogating Herrick. Not gone and told those senior vampires what is going on so they could perhaps intercede with the police.

Basically, this whole season has felt a little like they wrote the ending first then warped the plotlines to get us there by hook or by crook. I'm still enjoying it, and there have been wonderful pieces in each episode, but I'm finding the overall arc too illogical to be totally enjoyable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 14:39 
Excellent Painter

markg wrote:
They do seem to have gone a bit overboard with Annie's character, I mean she never used to be a perma-grinning dimbo did she?

It's method acting — Barry can do that to a girl.

I haven't watched any of this series, I stopped watching about 2/3rds of the way through the last series for some inexplicable reason.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 15:15 
Sleepyhead

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Kept the INCRIMINATING SCRAPBOOK OF DOOM. Lied with spectacular ineptitude to a dedicated policewoman. Listened to Annie's stupid ideas. Made the most hamfisted job imaginable of interrogating Herrick. Not gone and told those senior vampires what is going on so they could perhaps intercede with the police.

Basically, this whole season has felt a little like they wrote the ending first then warped the plotlines to get us there by hook or by crook. I'm still enjoying it, and there have been wonderful pieces in each episode, but I'm finding the overall arc too illogical to be totally enjoyable.

Hmmm, I'm not really bothered by those issues (re: Mitchell) at all.

He subconsciously wants to be found out and punished, and the only thing stopping him has been that he can't bring himself to be 'sent to justice' as it woudl cause the world to go crazy, in his mind a far worse crime than the massacre itself.

Ditto the stuff with Herrick (which, to be fair to him, ha clearly worked). He wanted Herrick to turn vampire again, but didn't want it to be at the expense of an innocent woman. he couldn't follow through with leading her to the slaughter.

And the senior vampires already had the police investigation covered, but then Annie went and ruined it by killing the fella.

Either way, very much looking forward to the next episode. Is it the final one from the series?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 19:29 

Okay, so that really was an excellent episode. Can't wait for tonight's one now!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 20:02 
EvilTrousers

We tried to watch episode 7 last night only to find out the sound had dropped out on BBC HD during transmission. Bastards.

For an entirely unassuming looking chap Herrick really is quite splendidly scary.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 20:50 
I forgot about this - how vain

I've been loving Being Human. Superb. Also the web series becoming human (with the kid from this season in) is actually well worth watching.

TRUEFACT: I looked out my window a few weeks back (before Herricks reappearance) to see the actor who plays him walking down our street with some kids he was bound to eat or something.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:33 

Just heard that Radio 3 are starting a series on the American Civil War - woot!

Probably won't be as iconic as the famous Ken Burns TV series, but looks interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01063zt - first one in Sunday at 21:30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:37 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Trousers wrote:
We tried to watch episode 7 last night only to find out the sound had dropped out on BBC HD during transmission. Bastards.

For an entirely unassuming looking chap Herrick really is quite splendidly scary.

I tried to watch my previously recorded version to get the same , I'm now checking back to see if i recorded it again , so if you havent watched this recently its worth checking if your episode 7 has sound

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
Just heard that Radio 3 are starting a series on the American Civil War - woot!

Probably won't be as iconic as the famous Ken Burns TV series, but looks interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01063zt - first one in Sunday at 21:30

Hurrah!

This pleases me muchly.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:37 
Sleepyhead

Campus.

Not very good.

I quite liked the English teacher and the maths girl who wrote the book, but the rest of the characters annoyed me, especially the Vice Chancellor. It'll get one more episode to convince me otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Curiosity wrote:
Campus.

Not very good.

I quite liked the English teacher and the maths girl who wrote the book, but the rest of the characters annoyed me, especially the Vice Chancellor. It'll get one more episode to convince me otherwise.

:this:
From the people who brought us Green Wing. Looks like they've run out of ideas and couldn't find any memorable actors to play in it. I hope it gets better, but I'm not optimistic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 
Hibernating Druid

Finally finished watching Mad Dogs (4 part drama) last night. I thought it was pretty good. Anyone else see it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 15:06 

markg wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
10 o'clock Live.

Yeah, that's about what I thought. Only I'd say that a live show like this is never going to seem comfortable and right on the first episode. It always needs time to bed in while they figure out what works and what doesn't. I'll keep watching in the hope that they can make something of it.

I think this has got a lot better in the time it's been on, I actually really look forward to it now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 15:18 
Hibernating Druid

I won't be watching the next series of Being Human, if there is one. That last series was mostly wank.

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 47  Next