Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rasslin'
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Rick Rude was an amazing wrestler and a fantastic heel... He was also a very devoted husband apparently!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 19:49 
Worst

Decca wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
:\\\\\\\\\

Granted, attitude era wasn't the best time to see Rude, Bulldog or Bret, but, still. :\\\\\\\\\

Bret was a paper champion for the last year he was in the WWF, also he was a munter.

A paper champion? You know it's not a real sport, right? :p Besides, his last year in WWF saw him absolutely make Steve Austin (Survivor Series 1996 and WrestleMania 13), be one of the most awesome heels they ever had (that whole 'Harts being ultimate heels in USA and ultimate faces in Canada' thing was amazing - witness the Canadian Stampede PPV), and drag Undertaker to two of his best matches ever - before Taker was considered the great worker he is now (SummerSlam 1997 and One Night Only). As antagonist to Steve Austin, then Michaels, Bret was the glue that held the promotion together. And not the champion for a lot of it: a one day reign and a three month reign were it.

Quote:
All rude did was hit people with his briefcase and bad acted.

This is why I said attitude era wasn't the best time to see these. Rude from 88-94 was just fantastic. Best heel, best body, awesome matches. I didn't much like him in his latter days, but it's a bit unfair to judge him on that.

Quote:
Bulldog I disliked (RIP) for a different reason. He may have been a fine wrestler and a all round top bloke backstage - it was the character I hated. I hated the way they (the commentators) kept banging on about England and so forth when his (attitude) gimmick would not look out of place at a BNP rally. The thick manc accent didn't help.

Hey, why didn't Rude get an 'RIP'? Also, yeah, by 1999 he was done. But before that he was fantastic. The Bret-Bulldog matches from SummerSlam 1992 and In Your House 5 are essential viewing.

TheVision wrote:
Rick Rude was an amazing wrestler and a fantastic heel... He was also a very devoted husband apparently!

Plus he could knock you out with a slap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 20:34 
Excellent Member

Being a full on WWE "mark" and a dedicated Cole Miner (don't ask), I've decided to do a quick rundown of the folks entered in the Royal Rumble for the peeps that don't know all the wrasslers along with my odds on them winning.

Lord Rixondale's cut out and keep Royal Rumble Superstar guide

Alberto Del Rio (Heel): Mexican Royalty gimmick. Is so posh he has his own ring announcer. Is a youngster but is a rising star. One to watch. 10-1

CM Punk (Heel): Is one of those straight edge punk types. Is also a brilliant bad guy and will have three chaps helping him in this. 4-1

"Dashing" Cody Rhodes (Heel): Has a funny pretty boy gimmick. His daddy his Dusty Rhodes and his brother is Goldust (in real life). He'll last a while but has no chance of winning. 50-1

Daniel Bryan (Face): Old school submission style wrestler. Terrific wrestler but it's too early for him. 50-1

Darren Young (Dunno): Looks like a black Guile. Is young and shit and will be fired soon. 1,000,000-1

David Hart Smith (dunno): Is the British Bulldog's son. Has no chance. 1,000,000-1

David Otunga (Heel): Is Jennifer Hudson (singer from Dreamgirls) real life boyfriend. Crap wrestler. Will be helping out CM Punk. 1,000-1

Husky Harris (Heel): Flabby son of Mike Rotunda (IRS). Will also be helping out Punk. 1,000-1

John Cena (Face): A rapper who tells Poo jokes. Is the kids' favourite, is a previous RR winner and multi-time champ. Will be there at the end. 2-1

John Morrison (Face): Looks like Jim Morrison. Terrific young wrestler who'll last all night, will do some crazy shit but sadly won't win. 10-1

Mark Henry (Face): The World's Strongest Man (apparently). He looks like a fat version of the Predator. 100-1

Michael McGillicutty (Heel): His daddy was Mr Perfect (RIP). Another youngster that'll be helping Punk out. 1,000-1

Primo (Face): His surname is Colon. Hurr hurr. 1,000,000-1

R-Truth (Face): Bloke who spins around a lot and shouts "Whassup?" at the crowd a lot. 100-1

Rey Mysterio (Face): Shortass luchador who flies around everywhere. Former World champ and holds the record for longest time in the Rumble. Won't win this one. 7-1

King Sheamus (Heel): He's Irish. Very Irish. And he's a King. A big fella who'll do some damage. 7-1

Ted DiBiase (Heel): The Million Dollar Man's son. Has the same gimmick as his dad but with none of the charisma. 1000-1

Tyson Kidd (Heel): Cracking young wrestler with a terrible haircut. It's too early for him, bless. 1,000-1

William Regal (Heel): Brought up on the mean streets of Blackpool, England. A grizzled veteran with no chance. 1,000-1

Yoshi Tatsu (Face): Japanese. Mullet. No chance. 1,000,000-1

Zack Ryder (Heel): New Jersey type. Catchphrase is "Woo Woo Woo. You know it." I've got more chance of winning the Rumble. 15 billion-1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 20:36 
Worst

Lord Rixondale wrote:
William Regal (Heel): Brought up on the mean streets of Blackpool, England. A grizzled veteran with no chance. 1,000-1

When he was 15, he was fighting grown men on the docks of Blackpool!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 20:49 
Excellent Member

Regal is indeed awesome. I like the fact that his unlikely real name is Darren. And his voice is brilliantly posh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 20:52 
Rude Belittler

Yes, Alberto del Rio is such a young up-and-coming talent. Good things will come of him, maybe he'll add to his CMLL World Championship. Oh, you didn't know that he is in fact Dos Caras,Jr?

And I think you'll find that Darren Young IS Black John Cena.Seriously. Look at him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 20:57 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

@Throughsilver Canadian Stampede was great. I don't think I've ever heard a crowd so "hot" as they were in the main event... wrestling hasn't been like that for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 21:11 
Excellent Member

Pundabaya wrote:
Yes, Alberto del Rio is such a young up-and-coming talent. Good things will come of him, maybe he'll add to his CMLL World Championship. Oh, you didn't know that he is in fact Dos Caras,Jr?

And I think you'll find that Darren Young IS Black John Cena.Seriously. Look at him.

Well, yeah obviously Alberto/Dos Caras Jr has been around a while but he's a relative noob in the WWE.

I just saw Darren Young on Raw and he's cut his Guile hair off and he does indeed look like a black Cena :) He's still shite though.

Post subject: Rasslin'
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 21:53 
baron of techno

Pundabaya wrote:
Yes, Alberto del Rio is such a young up-and-coming talent.

He's off the hook!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lord Rixondale wrote:
Zack Ryder (Heel): New Jersey type. Catchphrase is "Woo Woo Woo. You know it." I've got more chance of winning the Rumble. 15 billion-1

:DD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 
Sleepyhead

The Rumble will be won by one of John Cena, John Morrisson or Triple H.

I think they're going to let Cena break the record for longest stay and most eliminations by having him go in at #1.

Just hunches.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:32 
Sleepyhead

Oh, and I quote...

Quote:
I am also a Cole Miner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Curiosity wrote:
I think they're going to let Cena break the record for longest stay and most eliminations by having him go in at #1.

He's been in at #1 and won it before though, so I doubt they'll do that again.

I don't think they'll have time to beat the longest stay record - Mysterio's was over an hour.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:30 
Sleepyhead

Craster wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

He's been in at #1 and won it before though, so I doubt they'll do that again.

I don't think they'll have time to beat the longest stay record - Mysterio's was over an hour.

No they haven't. He only won it from #30.

Shawn Michaels and Chris Benoit are the only ones to have won from #1 (though Vince himself and Rey have won from #2, which is basically the same).

EDIT - And if he wins from #1 he'll break the time record... 40 people this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Still got my money on HHH - probably him and Sheamus fighting it out at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:09 
Sleepyhead

I can see HHH coming in, chucking Sheamus and then following him outside in a brawl that has to be broken up by security, reigniting their feud for a Wrestlemania rematch.

Randy Orton bores me, so I can see The Miz retaining and holding the title until Wrestlemania. He has heat with JoMo, and Cena, making them obvious candidates to win and face him... but Cena is feuding with the fabulous CM Punk, so I'd expect them to face off at Mania.

That said, anythign could happen between now and then... even someone from Smackdown could win it (though I doubt it).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I reckon Orton will take the title back off Miz, paving the way for a rematch at Wrestlemania. If Orton loses at RR, he won't keep #1 contender any more.

Cena/Punk looks to be fun, as long as they don't just re-do Cena/Barrett. Their match on Monday night was excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:21 
Unpossible!

Has there ever been a form of fiction quite like professional wrestling?

This is essentially a live play where the outcome of some pretty hyped storylines rely on the outcomes of what are essentially dance recitals.

Has anyone ever rebelled against a decision over a match (stayed in character but refused to be beaten, say), changing the course of a storyline?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 
Sleepyhead

Google 'Montreal Screwjob'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 13:18 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I am NOT googling montreal screwjob at work!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 13:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob

Can you actually bet on the wrestling?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 13:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I doubt it. Since the outcome isn't actually in doubt, there's too much chance of you being someone who actually knows what the outcome will be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 13:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
I doubt it. Since the outcome isn't actually in doubt, there's too much chance of you being someone who actually knows what the outcome will be.

You could bet on things like "Who killed Dirty Den" in EastEnders, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 13:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh. You probably can then, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 13:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I just logged into my Betfair account for the first time in years (after having to reset my password, natch) to find I have £314.71 in it 8)

Nothing about WWE, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 14:00 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I left £314.71 in a Betfair account and forgot the password, I think it must be mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 14:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Christ, I had a bet in March 2010 that Alonso, Webber and Vettel would all be in the top three of the F1 driver's championship which I forgot all about that netted me £290 :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 14:12 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Christ, I had a bet in March 2010 that Alonso, Webber and Vettel would all be in the top three of the F1 driver's championship which I forgot all about that netted me £290 :D

That's a fucking "YAY!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 14:17 
Sleepyhead

Nice work, Grim...

I've not seen any betting available for WWE personally, and don't really ever see Soap ones either (not in this internet age). Closest I've seen is X Factor betting (producers would have an extremely good view of who is to go based on week-on-week votes).

I've known several sites run a league of sorts though, with one person acting as the 'Bookie' and setting odds for each match on WWE PPV cards. Each player starts with an arbitrary amount of money, and can then bet against the published odds from the 'Bookie'. They then roll their winnings (if any) over to the next month, and continue.

Most have prizes of some description.

I'd be happy to run such a thing if there was sufficient interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 15:42 
Rude Belittler

DavPaz wrote:
Has there ever been a form of fiction quite like professional wrestling?

This is essentially a live play where the outcome of some pretty hyped storylines rely on the outcomes of what are essentially dance recitals.

Has anyone ever rebelled against a decision over a match (stayed in character but refused to be beaten, say), changing the course of a storyline?

In the old territories days, it was common for the travelling champion to be someone who could legitimately kick the crap out of challengers, in case one of the territory's boys tried to get clever.

Shoot fights during matches aren't unknown.

As to results changing, it does happen occasionally, though usually due to someone messing up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 16:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also as a result of in-match injuries, which are relatively frequent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 17:35 
UltraMod

Lord Rixondale wrote:
Regal is indeed awesome. I like the fact that his unlikely real name is Darren. And his voice is brilliantly posh.

And he's actually from Staffordshire, not Blackpool. Also, Bulldog was from Leeds, not Manchester (@decca).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:03 
Worst

DavPaz wrote:

Akira Maeda vs Andre the Giant was pretty interesting.
myoptikakaka wrote:
Also, Bulldog was from Leeds, not Manchester (@decca).

Citation please! I'm sure Billington said Smith was from Wigan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:52 
Excellent Member

Yeah, that was a Wigan accent if ever I heard one.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 
Goth

Yay! William Regal!

Also I once saw British Bulldog in Sheffield, near the Virgin Megastore. No one was paying him any attention, he was just wandering round quite casually like anyone else. So I left him alone as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:22 
Unpossible!

throughsilver wrote:
Citation please! I'm sure Billington said Smith was from Wigan.

Wiki says Wigan.

They also provide this:

England & Wales Births Register: October, November & December 1962, Vol. 10d, Page 57

as a citation if you want to know for sure. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 13:47 
Excellent Member

Nirejhenge wrote:
Yay! William Regal!

I saw Regal at Cardiff international arena fighting Rey Mysterio. Before the match, Regal was subjected to deafening "You Suck" chants. So he got a mike and said "I Can't Suck....I'm not Welsh". I laughed.

I also laughed when the Miz informed us that Cardiff City were rubbish and all their players should be drafted to the "Jack Army".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 14:29 
Goth

Superb work Mr Regal. He plays the heel very well. I'm surprised that he's still on the roster though really. He just seems like something which they would have dumped ages ago.

Anyway thinking about my favourite wrestlers, here's my list (which you will all pick on me over):

Daffney
Ultimate Warrior
Undertaker
Dean Malenko
Chris Benoit (as a wrestler and not psycho killer obv)
Psycho Sid Vicious/Justice
David Flair
Crowbar
Kevin Nash
Scott Hall/Razor Ramon
Masked Kane
Roxxie Lavaeux
La Parka
Goldberg (one trick pony I know but still kind of like him)
Short Hair Jeff Jarret
Tank Abbot (only sort of, it was an amusing gimmick for a while)
Early Madusa before her breasts got too large
EDIT: forgot to add Steven/William Regal and his chum Dave Taylor (though I don't recall seeing him wrestle but he looked the part)
Most of the late period WCW roster. I actually enjoyed WCW most just before it died.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 15:01 
Worst

Nirejhenge wrote:
Superb work Mr Regal. He plays the heel very well. I'm surprised that he's still on the roster though really. He just seems like something which they would have dumped ages ago.

He is good friends with Triple H, and he is effective at carrying green or mediocre workers to good matches.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 18:47 
Rude Belittler

Nirejhenge wrote:
David Flair

Reeeeaaaaalllly? David Flair? Takes all sorts I suppose.

Favourite wrestlers:

TAKA Michinoku
Rick Rude
Mick Foley
The Rock
Chris Jericho (I actually bought his DVD set, highly recommended, some awesome matches on there)
Ricky Steamboat (oh, those wonderful deep arm drags he used to do)
Steven/William Regal
Eddie Guerrero
Dean Malenko
Arn Anderson
DDP
Kofi Kingston
Raven
Vader
Sting
Zack Ryder (Woo Woo Woo you know it!)
ETA: Ultimo Dragon

Tag Teams

Too Cool
The Dudleyz (in their prime, they're hollow shells now)
The Hollywood Blondes (Austin wrestling his old technical style and Flyin' Brian Pillman)
Kaientai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 20:58 
Excellent Member

Can someone please explain to me the point of Randy Orton? Seriously, he's talentless and dull to watch. My vocabulary is more varied than his wrestling repetoire & that's saying something! We're catching up with Raw from Monday night & Dolph Ziggler outclassed him at every turn, yet Orton performs two moves and wins. FFS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 21:57 
Can you dig it?

Ange wrote:
t Orton performs two moves and wins. FFS.

I always felt that way when watching The Rock and Bret Hart, especially when they were champions.

The Rock was excellent on the mic though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 22:05 
Excellent Member

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Ange wrote:
t Orton performs two moves and wins. FFS.

I always felt that way when watching The Rock and Bret Hart, especially when they were champions.

The Rock was excellent on the mic though.

See, he's awful on the mic as well. Argh!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 22:52 
Goth

One thing I liked about WCW was there seemed less emphasis on stories and got on with having wrestling matches. It always seemed much leaner in comparison. Sure there was some story stuff but nowhere near as much as WWF/E.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 0:55 
Worst

Okay, my favourite wrestlers:

Bret Hart
Jushin Liger
Mitsuharu Misawa
Manami Toyota
Jumbo Tsuruta
Volk Han
Chris Benoit
Toshiaki Kawada
William/Steve Regal
Mr. Perfect
Rick Rude
Stan Hansen
Kenta Kobashi
Akira Hokuto
Dynamite Kid
Shinjiro Otani
Nobuhiko Takada
Kiyoshi Tamura
Dick Togo
Eddy Guerrero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:35 
Rude Belittler

Nirejhenge wrote:
One thing I liked about WCW was there seemed less emphasis on stories and got on with having wrestling matches. It always seemed much leaner in comparison. Sure there was some story stuff but nowhere near as much as WWF/E.

The main problem with WCW was that it was run by idiots. You have stories of wrestlers drawing a wage from them for years after their release (Nailz) or just getting a friend to sign for them in the pay-per-performance book, so that the higher ups would pay even though the wrestler hadn't actually performed for the company for months (Honky Tonk Man). Bringing in Robocop, Chucky and David Arquette. The constant rehashings of the nWo for years after the angle should have been dead and buried.

The story of WCW in short: A solid wrestling company who caught the lightning once(original nWo), and died on its arse waiting for it to strike a second time.

Oh, my favourite story about WCW is how Brian Pillman tricked a release from the company, to immediately go to the WWF.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:25 
Goth

I didn't encounter WCW until it was in its decline and I found it much better than WWF at that point. Basically it was when it appeared on Channel 5.

There's no excuse for allowing wrestlers to get paid for not doing anything though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 15:32 
Rude Belittler

The wrestling was always good. WCW should have stuck to what it was good at. Trying to beat Vince at his own game was what killed it, really.

When you look at the Monday Night Wars, the stunning thing is how much talent they wasted. Austin, Jericho, Eddie and Benoit were perrenial midcarders in WCW, but WWF made them into megastars. In return, the guys they got coming the other way were all over-the-hill, fading stars.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 16:14 
Worst

Pundabaya wrote:
The wrestling was always good. WCW should have stuck to what it was good at. Trying to beat Vince at his own game was what killed it, really.

That was both what made it and killed it. Nash and Hogan in the NWO led to WCW beating WWF in the ratings. Giving those two too much power (e.g. beating Goldberg, the fingerpoke of doom) are what led to its demise. Plus Vince Russo as WCW head writer not being an amazing success without VKM to edit him.

But what really killed it was when Time Warner bought TNT and decided they didn't want wrestling on their network. If it wasn't for that, WCW could have kept plodding along, as evinced by the continued existence of TNA.

Quote:
When you look at the Monday Night Wars, the stunning thing is how much talent they wasted. Austin, Jericho, Eddie and Benoit were perrenial midcarders in WCW, but WWF made them into megastars. In return, the guys they got coming the other way were all over-the-hill, fading stars.

Over the hill, fading stars who were largely big business. Let's not pretend they were TNA level. ;) Nash, Hogan, Hall, to a lesser extent Hart, all made coin for WCW.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 19:13 
Excellent Member

My Favourite Wrestler...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
THE SHOCKMASTER!

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next