Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rev Owen
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:49 
UltraMod

Wullie wrote:
I met Owen once, he had a cool hat & beard. He was also lovely :)

:this: :luv: :'(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:51 
Meh

Very sorry to hear this news.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:51 
I forgot about this - how vain

Oh man, his minecraft stuff...

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:53 

I didn't know Owen that well, other than crossing paths on here and WoS, and whilst playing Minecraft and Wii Animal Crossing online, but he always came across as a credit to our community. My thoughts are with his family.

I would very willingly to chip in if we get a collection going.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:53 

Sorry to hear this sad news.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:55 
Running this fucking operation

Very sad to hear this. Had known The Rev somewhat online for almost a decade. Always good for a laugh, and his marriage seemed to have made him blissfully happy. RIP.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:56 

The border is a nice touch but can we pin this? Student fees debate shouldn't be above it, nor should anything really.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:57 

I've made a brief post on WoS. Hope no one minds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:57 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Terrible, terrible news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 19:58 

Grim... wrote:
Heh, that's my most popular & interesting picture on flickr. Everyone loves Owen :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:00 

Whenever I see a pic of him I immediately think "Terry Pratchett"! They both have a penchant for epic head wear, I think.

baron of techno

I can hardly believe this, it's just awful.

Wullie wrote:
gospvg wrote:
Owen was saying he had a chest infection the past few days, I was joking with him yesterday that he had passed it to me & now he's gone :(
Aye, it's weird to think that less than 24 hours ago we were winding each other up :(

I met Owen once, he had a cool hat & beard. He was also lovely :)

My last tweet to him before I went to work this morning ended with get well soon
WTF !! FUCK FUCK FUCK !!

:(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:01 
Eggcellent Member

I didn't really get a chance to meet Owen, but he was an absolutely awesome guy, a real gent. I knew him (as much as you can through the internet) back in the old Dead Journal days and I'm sad that he's no longer around in fact I'm pretty devastated. I am glad however that I got to read about his relationship with Patience and just how happy in life he was.

Like Zio, I can't make the cottage but would very much like to be part of anything that is done to remember one of the good guys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:03 
Excellent Painter

myoptikakaka wrote:
I think we should hold some kind of memorial at the weekend.

He did have shockingly lax taste in movies, and was a particular fan of Star Wars, so maybe you could have a lightsabre salute to him, or do a marathon watch of all six SW movies :p

I can't believe he's gone. It's funny how real a virtual presence can take and it must be all the more shocking as it unites a close knit group of people in here. Owen was a very gentle, sweet, intelligent and kind man. He's one of the few people I've encountered regularly on the internet over the last 12 or so years that I never disagreed with. Sure, I wound him up on time to time when he couldn't see flaws in a particular movie or he eulogised about a particular game. But that was him. Cut him in half, and like a stick of rock he would have fairness and forgiveness running through him. He was a fucking sweetheart and maintained a child like devotion to simple pleasures. There was no artifice or sophistry and in the virtual sense he epitomised a gold standard in the virtual world. WYSIWYG. People like him are rare and they deserve to be remembered well. RIP Owen, truly man, rest. in. peace.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:06 
UltraMod

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
Whenever I see a pic of him I immediately think "Terry Pratchett"! They both have a penchant for epic head wear, I think.

I've always thought that, too. I thought I was alone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:13 

DBSnappa wrote:
myoptikakaka wrote:

He did have shockingly lax taste in movies, and was a particular fan of Star Wars, so maybe you could have a lightsabre salute to him, or do a marathon watch of all six SW movies :p

I can't believe he's gone. It's funny how real a virtual presence can take and it must be all the more shocking as it unites a close knit group of people in here. Owen was a very gentle, sweet, intelligent and kind man. He's one of the few people I've encountered regularly on the internet over the last 12 or so years that I never disagreed with. Sure, I wound him up on time to time when he couldn't see flaws in a particular movie or he eulogised about a particular game. But that was him. Cut him in half, and like a stick of rock he would have fairness and forgiveness running through him. He was a fucking sweetheart and maintained a child like devotion to simple pleasures. There was no artifice or sophistry and in the virtual sense he epitomised a gold standard in the virtual world. WYSIWYG. People like him are rare and they deserve to be remembered well. RIP Owen, truly man, rest. in. peace.

Very well said, that man. It sounds silly but just by knowing him on here, WoS and Twitter he came across as a genuinely bloody lovely bloke.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:16 

Really sad to hear this awful news. His family are in my thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

He helped me out loads when I went to see Harry Hill in February. He'd been a few weeks before so he gave me advice on what time to get there and such like.. He seemed like a damn nice guy and even alerted me to the Tardis inside BBC studios.... and all this through Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:17 
Kvnt

Horrible news. He was an excellent poster and always seemed like a top chap. Thoughts are with Patience! :(

R.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:18 

DBSnappa wrote:
myoptikakaka wrote:

Well said David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:36 
Kindly deeds done for free

So, so sorry to hear this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:39 
Unpossible!

We shared a few sneaky lunchtime minecraft sessions with a non boss-telling pact. Castle Rev is a fantastic place and will be a lasting memory of a great man.

My thoughts are with Patience and her family

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:42 
Terrible Human Being

Just heard via the #digi grapevine and thought this would probably be best place to say anything at all.

My interactions with him are all sadly well in the past, from alt.digitiser, occasionally #digi and the uk games newsgroups, and via deadjournal. In a way it's bad I only ever knew him from that era when while he wasn't exactly miserable continually, he wasn't ever as happy as he appears to have been more recently, reading through this thread. I suppose the only comfort to be found from my limited knowledge of his recent life is he had found love and was happy at the end of his life, but his life ended far too soon. There are very few people I ever talk to online that I've met in person, and I'm glad Owen was one of them, he was a genuinely nice bloke. It's still a massive shock to hear he's passed away. Just like to leave my condolences here, should they be of any use to anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:44 
Excellent Member

Oh man, this is so sad :( RIP dude x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:52 
Bad Girl

RIP Rev.

I can always remember his contributions to that game Grim... made, where you started a story and you had two choices which you made up as you went along. Rev Owen's contributions stood out and were genuine laugh out loud funny [link anyone, I can't find it?].

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:54 
Gogmagog

Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine et lux perpetua luceat eis. Exaudi orationem meam. Kyrie eleison. Requiem sempiternam. In paradisum deducant te angeli.

A truly, truly, sad and bitter loss for a man who, exemplified, above all others how to Be Excellent.

I'm raising a beer to you tonight, good Rev, and dearly hope you know how many people you made so, so very happy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:10 

The fund is now at $2500. Hopefully Patience will have her mum with her soon.

I'm tired, so I am going to sign out for the night, and raise a glass of something strong and beardy to Owen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:13 
Master of dodgy spelling....

i am sorry to hear about this. My thoughts go out to his family..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:22 
Ready for action

Mimi wrote:

That made me cry a wee bit again. I think both their families will feel very proud to know that Owen had so many great friends. I'm having a drink for him right now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:23 
EvilTrousers

Feel like I've been kicked in the stomach and I've never met the fella. Known him on-line for more years than I care to remember going back to alt.digi, ugvm, wos and here.

The world is a much shitter place without him around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:25 
Isn't that lovely?

Such terrible news, don't really know what to say, feeling pretty gutted to be honest.

His wife has had such a tulmutuos year already, but they were just getting it together with her visa and whatnot.. ffs.

only a couple of years older than me too

RIP

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:26 
Best
Board Mother

superdupergill wrote:
Mimi wrote:

That made me cry a wee bit again. I think both their families will feel very proud to know that Owen had so many great friends. I'm having a drink for him right now.

:this:

After Joans managed to put potatos on the hob, then filled the oven with chips too I sent him to the shop for wine. I think it says a lot about Owen that his passing has affected even those that never met him IRL.

I think a toast to him at the weekend is definitly in order.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:27 

Samuel L Jackson found weeping outside The Rev's house.

(it's an a.d thing)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:28 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Fuck.

The Excellence Per Head of Europe just plummeted. :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:45 
Best
Board Mother

Just seen this on the Rav fourms so thought I would keep you updated and give Mimi a wee break;
Tivity wrote:
Just a quick donation update. We’re nearly at $3,000 folks! And thanks to hitherestephie we might be able to donate the WHOLE PILE to Patience without having to worry about airfare. Just amazing.

Have no worries though, this will stay up at least through the end of the month. There is no limit to how much we can send to her. Since she is no longer with income and doesn’t even drive, every little penny will help.

It looks like her Mom, Dad and brother are coming over if they can get emergency passports/visas/time off work.

*crosses everything for them*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:47 
baron of techno

I hardly knew him but he clearly was a lovely bloke, this is very very sad. Reading all this makes you realise how many peoples' lives he enriched.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:53 
Excellent Member

Fuck.

This is awful news :(

Condolences to all his friends and family, poor, poor Patience, I cannot think what she's going through but it makes my heart ache so much trying to imagine. She really should have her mum with her as soon as possible.

I will be adding a donation from both Ramsea and I, he's in Zurich with only mobile internet atm but I've text him the news, he's gutted too.

Fuck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 21:58 

Really sorry to hear this awful news. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy and 37 is no kind of age to go. :'(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:14 
Awesome
Yes

RIP Owen. A bloody lovely man.

I know it's going to tear me up when his resignation in Words With Friends comes through in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:18 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I hope this isn't somehow an insensitive question, but how did this happen, do we know? He was having trouble breathing last night from his tweets :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:24 

Well, I donated to the fund for the folks, it seems better to keep it all at that link I guess.

Been wandered around his minecraft buildings (till the game started crashing every time)...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, a few of us put flowers or torches in his cave. Seems weird, the amount of stuff people leave behind nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:40 

Malabar Front wrote:
I hope this isn't somehow an insensitive question, but how did this happen, do we know? He was having trouble breathing last night from his tweets :(

Yes he has been been having breathing difficulties for a few days, these were unfortunately signs of heart pains & something worse to come :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:45 

Mr Russell wrote:
RIP Owen. A bloody lovely man.

I know it's going to tear me up when his resignation in Words With Friends comes through in a couple of weeks.

http://twitter.com/#!/gospvg/status/27269802603

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:46 
Fuck. RIP Owen. Again, its amazing how never meeting someone you can be so thrown about their passing. I'll he raising a glass for him and his family tonight. Thoughts with his family :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:48 
Excellent Member

Bloody hell. Can't say I knew him well apart from his posts here, but he always seemed so enthusiastic about his family and a really nice guy. So sad, particularly at such a young age.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:56 
What's this bit for exactly?

Only known him briefly from here, mainly through Mafia Scum and more recently his castle of fun in Minecraft, but he was truly a most excellent fellow, and will be sorely missed...

*salute*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 23:05 

Grim... wrote:
Yeah, a few of us put flowers or torches in his cave. Seems weird, the amount of stuff people leave behind nowadays.

Very weird, and aye, I put one next to crasters, oustide where he had signed his name.

Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next