Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: OnLive streaming PC games: Crysis on any PC?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 16:55 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Fuck me. I encoded a 1080i 6 minute video to H264 this morning on the 8 core and it took 47 minutes. However note that I was doing a conversion down to 720p with full adaptive deinterlace.
I know. Further into the review there are some times with downscaling. I reckon that little doodad is about twice as fast as my 2.5Ghz quad core machine here; to put it another way, they make the Macbook Air a viable H264 encoding platform. Very impressive.

Mr Dave wrote:
Seems that the quality isn't all that though, judging by the video on the eurogamer article.
We're talking about different things now..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 19:33 
I forgot about this - how vain

This been posted?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gdc-why-onlive-cant-possibly-work-article

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 19:44 

That's the third posting of it, yes, Lave :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 16:18 

BBC article where Perlman answers the critics.

Quote:
The founder of online streaming games firm OnLive has defended the technology underpinning the service after accusations it was unworkable. Steve Perlman said critics had not even used the system.

OnLive turns games into video data sent across the net to a hardware add-on, or software plug-in, which decompresses the data back into video. The firm says a revolutionary video compression algorithm and custom silicon makes it possible.
Mr Perlman, who led the early developments into video streaming service QuickTime while at Apple, told BBC News: "We have nine of the largest game publishers in world signed up. "They have spent several years in some cases actually going and reviewing our technology before allowing us to associate with their company names and allowing us to have access to their first-tier franchises."
A custom-built silicon chip designed by OnLive does the actual encoding calculations at the server end, as well as the decompression at the gamer end, inside a cheap hardware add-on.

I've only quoted some bits, click through for the rest.

It makes it sound like there might be a custom chip installed in the client PC/Mac to make the service work -- maybe a USB fob or something? It does the decoding and costs "less than $20" apparently.

That's a good way for them to raise day-one revenue, as long as they can still sell the service.

Quote:
"The round trip latency from pushing a button on a controller and it going up to the server and back down, and you seeing something change on screen should be less than 80 milliseconds. "We usually see something between 35 and 40 milliseconds."

The games themselves will be running on "off the shelf motherboards" at the data centres. The company has calculated that each server will be dealing with about 10 different gamers, because of the varying demands games have on hardware. "Most games run fine on dual core processors. What you really want is a high performance graphics processor unit," said Mr Perlman.

Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 18: The Middle Way
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:50 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Beeb are going with the "onlive to kill consoles" story again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8556874.stm

Quote:
A gaming service that aims to kill off the traditional gaming console will begin streaming popular games over the internet in June this year.

June for the US no dates for Europe or anywhere else

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 
Honey Boo Boo

Given it's impossible to play your (locally stored and generated) copy of Bad Company 2 due to lack of server capacity, imagine how great it'll be if the single player version is denied to you too because of no servers! Or indeed, if your singleplayer experience lags!

(errr, it might be a bit like Ass Crud 2 on PC, I guess)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:00 
Skillmeister

LewieP will go mental when he finds out you need a constant internet connection for that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MetalAngel wrote:
Given it's impossible to play your (locally stored and generated) copy of Bad Company 2 due to lack of server capacity, imagine how great it'll be if the single player version is denied to you too because of no servers! Or indeed, if your singleplayer experience lags!

(errr, it might be a bit like Ass Crud 2 on PC, I guess)

Unless they can get it to work, of course. This is, without a doubt, the most exciting thing to happen to gaming in a long time. They just need to pull it off.

Mods! Want to bang the onLive stuff into the onLive thread now it has an actual launch date?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:15 
Honey Boo Boo

Grim... wrote:
Unless they can get it to work, of course. This is, without a doubt, the most exciting thing to happen to gaming in a long time. They just need to pull it off.

A 250mph car that with a clean burning engine that runs by sucking nasty nasty CO2 out of the air would be the most exciting thing to happen to motoring, but it's not likely they'd be able to pull it off.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MetalAngel wrote:
Grim... wrote:

A 250mph car that with a clean burning engine that runs by sucking nasty nasty CO2 out of the air would be the most exciting thing to happen to motoring, but it's not likely they'd be able to pull it off.

That's lovely, and has nothing to do with anything else. You forget that onLive already exists and is working well. The question is whether it'll keep working with a fucktonne of people playing on it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 
Skillmeister

If OnLive was in a pub it'd be Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:52 

playin gamez on remote servers will make teh inputz lag crap like on xbox or sumthin else shit LOLOLOL!!1!1!

Seriously though, how much of a bottleneck is that likely to be? I think I read somewhere that the average ping times in the UK are around 50ms (& around 20ms with interleaving off). Is that (plus however long it takes a machine to do what you tell it) a long enough period to have a noticeable effect on the game?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 
baron of techno

Wullie wrote:
playin gamez on remote servers will make teh inputz lag crap like on xbox or sumthin else shit LOLOLOL!!1!1!

Seriously though, how much of a bottleneck is that likely to be? I think I read somewhere that the average ping times in the UK are around 50ms (& around 20ms with interleaving off). Is that (plus however long it takes a machine to do what you tell it) a long enough period to have a noticeable effect on the game?

This was discussed a bit back on page 4. I was of the general opinion that it was doable, if the claims about the server hardware are true, and internet willing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:57 

Wullie wrote:
Seriously though, how much of a bottleneck is that likely to be?
Right now? Loads, probably enough that the service can't work. But in five years when most of us have fibre to the home? Very little, probably enough that the service can work. Note that all the company's press releases are very long-term orientated. What we are seeing now isn't so much of a genuine service as a public beta.

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that the average ping times in the UK are around 50ms (& around 20ms with interleaving off). Is that (plus however long it takes a machine to do what you tell it) a long enough period to have a noticeable effect on the game?
GTA's input lag is 166ms, which bothers me. My TV is noted for having slow response times when not in Game Mode; I have to lag my amp by 110ms to match it, but I don't notice the effect on games.

Note that Online would (one would hope) invest in distinctly non-average datacentres, so ping times would be below the averages.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 15:58 
Excellently Membered

MetalAngel wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Note really the same thing: LINK

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:53 

Iiiinteresting.
Quote:
UK telecoms firm BT has signed a deal with cloud-gaming firm OnLive, which gives BT exclusive UK rights to bundle the OnLive Game Service with its broadband packages. Although OnLive will also offer its service directly in the UK, BT (and PlusNet, which is also owned by BT) will be the only ISP allowed to offer the service. UK gamers will need a connection that can cope with the bandwidth demands too, which is a concern when so many UK homes don't have access to fast broadband. Speaking to Thinq, BT's Les King said that we're looking at 1.5Mb/sec for standard definition gaming, and 5Mb/sec for full 1080p HD resolution gaming. This will effectively rule out the use of the HD service in areas of the country that can only get a 2Mb/sec connection. BT plans to start trials of the system in the UK later this year, and plans to launch the service in 2011 or 2012.
So BT have some confidence in it, at least.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 19:34 

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/featu ... tern-time/
It's going live in a few hours!

Borderlands on an iPad. Impressive tech demo, although controller issues makes the iPad about the least interesting device of this I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 19:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That looked rather impressive, although it would be sensible to move the "virtual controlpad" to the bottom of the screen. Damned smooth, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 19:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have to say that there must be something wrong with it, though, otherwise MS, Sony etc would be rushing to release their own equivalent service. If it works like they say, this could kill off all other forms of gaming before the end of this generation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 20:25 
Esoteric

Is it me or did one step take forever?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 21:40 
Excellent Member

Even if they've sorted out the video encoding, even if they've sorted out any latency issues how on Earth are they going to sort out the scalability issues?

It might be do-able, but I just can't see how it's going to be affordable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 19:26 

A in-home hands-on, from Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5567770/onlive-strea ... me-finally

He says there isn't bad lag during play but calls out the crunchy over-compressed visuals. However, a few posts down the comments thread, someone posts a pic of ACII which looks much better.

Interesting times.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 20:35 
Hello Hello Hello

That looks utterly fucking horrible, why would any gamer voluntarily pay to subject themselves to video quality like that?

It'll also saturate just about any ADSL connection, meaning an awful net experience for anyone on the same connection and/or dropouts in the game itself.

I find it hard to believe there won't be horrible lag once the servers get loaded too.

Not convinced at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Atrocity Exhibition wrote:
That looks utterly fucking horrible, why would any gamer voluntarily pay to subject themselves to video quality like that?

If you're an actual gamer rather than a graphics whore, this service is a godsend. All the other things are conjuncture (apart from the ADSL line being used heavily, but, you know, so?).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:22 

I don't think those things are exclusive at all. I like games and I like pretty games, so I'd sooner not play them through something which occasionally makes them look like an especially low bitrate Freeview channel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

They're not exclusive, but when one option costs $50 (or whatever new games cost in the USA) + a high-end PC and the other costs $3 + a device connected to the Internet, it's probably worth thinking about.
The latency and frame rate are far more important on the "being able to play the game" front than the visuals (because, as they're demonstrating, you can scale the graphics back), and it would appear they've got them right.
It's also important to note that they've only been live to the public for a week or so, so things will probably get better.

Saying that, chappie on the review does have a shit-hot connection, faster than most people in the UK are going to have. As I doubt they'll be able to do much with the amount of data they need at OnLive, we pretty much need Broadband to get faster.

[edit]Mind you, it'd be fucking perfect for my office PC. Hmm...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:41 

Grim... wrote:
They're not exclusive, but when one option costs $50 (or whatever new games cost in the USA) + a high-end PC and the other costs $3 + a device connected to the Internet, it's probably worth thinking about.
The latency and frame rate are far more important on the "being able to play the game" front than the visuals (because, as they're demonstrating, you can scale the graphics back), and it would appear they've got them right.
It's also important to note that they've only been live to the public for a week or so, so things will probably get better.

Saying that, chappie on the review does have a shit-hot connection, faster than most people in the UK are going to have. As I doubt they'll be able to do much with the amount of data they need at OnLive, we pretty much need Broadband to get faster.

Yeah, I've got no problem with it in principle but it is going to need much better broadband to take off, but I'm not sure how long that'll be. Even when 60% of the country have fibre I'm still not sure a gaming platform which completely excludes the remaining 40% is going to be viable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:45 
EvilTrousers

Grim... wrote:
(apart from the ADSL line being used heavily, but, you know, so?).

Shaping I would have thought. You use that service for long enough in the UK your bandwidth goes through the roof and even on an unmetered service your ISP may well get huffy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think that's more of a problem for them to deal with, like when iPlayer came out.

The creaking Broadband infrastructure in the UK could be an entirely new thread :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 20:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:

Maybe so, but how many offices are going to tolerate a single PC chewing through that much of the company bandwidth during the working day? If you're the boss then fair enough, but for 99% of office employees it'd be a massive no-no.

Whatever hardware they've got at the backend, and however solid your internet connection is, I refuse to believe this is going to deliver anything like a cohesive single player gaming experience - in terms of both latency and image fidelity, as well as fairly frequent stutters.

A 720p game at 30FPS (let alone 60FPS) into this little bandwidth simply does not go - as we can see in those screenshots, and that's with pretty much perfect conditions on an uber internet connections and empty servers.

For home users I predict a total flop - it'd need 100meg fibre to every home, infinitely more benevolent ISPs than we have now, and gamers both console and PC based alike to all suddenly declare 'I don't mind that my games look like shit!'

Where it might find a niche is hotels and suchlike, where people who want some 'emergency gaming' will be prepared to put up with the compromises.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 21:00 

A 720p game at 30FPS (let alone 60FPS) into this little bandwidth simply does not go - as we can see in those screenshots, and that's with pretty much perfect conditions on an uber internet connections and empty servers. For home users I predict a total flop - it'd need 100meg fibre to every home,
I have a number of 720p H.264 rips of TV shows. They are usually around 1.1-1.2 Gb and look very good to the eye. That's a bitrate of 430Kbps or a little under 4Mbit/sec. Or you could look at it this way; my domestic ADSL has, when there are good peers, grabbed them from BitTorrent at greater-than-realtime.

Quote:
infinitely more benevolent ISPs than we have now
AT&T and BT are launch partners for OnLive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 21:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I have a number of 720p H.264 rips of TV shows. They are usually around 1.1-1.2 Gb and look very good to the eye. That's a bitrate of 430Kbps or a little under 4Mbit/sec. Or you could look at it this way; my domestic ADSL has, when there are good peers, grabbed them from BitTorrent at greater-than-realtime.

You're not really comparing apples with apples there, as those shows will have been compressed with multi-pass encoders that can basically take all the time in the world to get it looking as good as possible, they know what frames came before, what frames are coming in the future, and how best to transition between them with the highest image quality and lowest amount of bytes used.

On top of that, your average TV show or film doesn't 'move about' half as much as your average game does - for every action or 'lots of stuff moving about' sequence there are going to be extended periods where the image on screen doesn't change that much, which massively reduces the overall data required. Games just don't have that, or at least, they definitely don't have it in the busy bits, which is where framerate and latency need to be as high and low respectively as possible.

We're talking about real-time encoding of an entirely unpredictable player-controlled experience, that has to take its input from a remote source (the player), work out how that affects the game, encode the result, spit it back down a residential ADSL connection to the player, and then rinse wash repeat, for minutes if not hours at a time. Which planet is this supposed to be happening on?

I'm just not buying it, the backend server hardware requirements for anything like a properly scaled-up user experience boggle the mind quite frankly, and that's before you start to consider the raw consistent bandwidth requirements with minimal lag.

At least with a 'normal' game lag can be compensated for with the game effectively filling in the blanks as far as it can, since your local hardware is drawing the frames itself, but when the entire game experience is being piped down your internet connection? No way, ain't gonna happen.

I'll eat my hat if this comes to pass in any kind of mass-market sense. Then I'll buy you a hat, and I'll eat that one too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 21:39 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365398,00.asp

And yet it is working, right now, for normal people on normal Internet connections. Must be vodoo, huh?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 21:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

And yet it is working, right now, for normal people on normal Internet connections. Must be vodoo, huh?

Not exactly exhaustive though is it? He played one ancient game that 'sort of seemed OK'.

Don't get me wrong, in some regards I actually quite like the idea of this service, and as I've already said, I can see a decent niche market for it where people are away from home, with a modestly specced 'device' (as it's not PC specific), and wanting to play some of their favourite games.

(In the same way we'll watch a film on a hotel telly and forgo our usual 40-inch 5:1 experience because we understand the constraints of the situation, I can see the same applying to games.)

Gaming isn't really that expensive these days.

Consoles are cheap brand new, let alone second hand, PC gamers are arguably by default the elitist nerds, and decent screens of 22 inches and higher are inexpensive - OnLive claim 1280x720 resolution (with unspecified crunching of detail), which was the default resolution of most screens about six or seven years ago.

I do think there is a market for this service, but people sat in their own homes simply isn't it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:07 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Hmm. Dubious. For a start, the system is hardly being stressed right now.
Secondly, it's useless to me if you can't use it over a wireless connection, and I imagine I'm not alone.
Thirdly, " I can't say that it exactly mimicked the experience of playing it locally on my older single-core desktop" So an old game wasn't able to match how an old computer used to be able to run it. Not exactly Crysis. Indeed, if my memories of FEAR2 are correct, that's quite worrying.

But from a personal point of view, I don't like it. I, along with many others, like being able to code stuffs for rather well equipped 3d cards and computers. I'd imagine this service wouldn't cater for that. Given the advances made recently in the distribution of independent titles through steam and similar, this seems like a step backwards from what I've read. And that's before considering the effects on price that a drop in demand would cause for capable computers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Maybe so, but how many offices are going to tolerate a single PC chewing through that much of the company bandwidth during the working day?

Mine will ;)

/opens ports
/fires up Eve

Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 20 - The important thing is...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 14:50 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

It seems that Onlive service might actually work...death knell for consoles as we know them etc etc blah blah...

http://www.slate.com/id/2257825/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 14:57 

Mr Dave wrote:
But from a personal point of view, I don't like it.
This, of course, doesn't effect their chances of making it or going under one whit.

Quote:
I, along with many others, like being able to code stuffs for rather well equipped 3d cards and computers. I'd imagine this service wouldn't cater for that.
Quote:
Perlman pointed to an even more interesting possibility. "We don't have any upper limit in performance," Perlman says. "Today the serious gamer can build an overclocked 4GHz, 6-core double-NVidia-board beast of a machine, but because there's so few of those out there, game developers don't create many games to take advantage of that." In the same way that OnLive can share processing power across different users, it can also combine processors to make for games that surpass what's possible on your console—creating a big new market for the most advanced games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 15:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Exactly. No matter how much grunt your game needs to run, their encoding is likely to punt exactly the same bandwidth stream out to the user.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 15:25 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
But from a personal point of view, I don't like it.
This, of course, doesn't effect their chances of making it or going under one whit.

Yes, which is why I specified it as a personal point of view.

Quote:
Quote:
I, along with many others, like being able to code stuffs for rather well equipped 3d cards and computers. I'd imagine this service wouldn't cater for that.
Quote:
Perlman pointed to an even more interesting possibility. "We don't have any upper limit in performance," Perlman says. "Today the serious gamer can build an overclocked 4GHz, 6-core double-NVidia-board beast of a machine, but because there's so few of those out there, game developers don't create many games to take advantage of that." In the same way that OnLive can share processing power across different users, it can also combine processors to make for games that surpass what's possible on your console—creating a big new market for the most advanced games.

But would I get access to that as a developer? Colour me doubtful.

--

I have noticed that it claims it needs a 5 megabit connection, which is pretty much what I get here, according to speedtest.
More interestingly, it's significantly above the average of what people on my ISP (BT, so hardly a small time ISP) get. Not only that, it would get through the allowed bandwidth very quickly, something that already happens if I'm not careful, and ends up being very costly. Spending a long time playing the xbox doesn't net me an accidental £150 internet bill.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 15:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's clearly not something that sustainable under current residential metred internet connections. But that's why the fact that BT and AT&T are launch partners is interesting. What's the betting that you sign up to a monthly tariff, giving you unlimited data for OnLive only via BT? Extremely high, I'd suspect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 15:34 

Note that as BT are hosting the service (in Cardiff, no less, for their closed beta), it doesn't use any bandwidth external to their network; it's therefore vastly cheaper for them to run this service. I would suggest they would not include OnLive traffic in their traffic caps. Caps on ADSL are designed to reduce the traffic between the ISP's network and the world, which costs money from their peering partners. Traffic within the ISP's network is generally a lot easier to come by.

Mr Dave wrote:
More interestingly, it's significantly above the average of what people on my ISP
Not even OnLive themselves are claiming they can reach more than a fairly small amount of the population at launch, but fast forward three years and consider how that picture will change in a world where fibre-to-the-kerb becomes prominent. Also consider the costs to their business (mostly hosting) scale with the customer base, so it's not like it harms their profitability to only be able to reach 10% of gamers initially. I suspect they have a 3-5 year business plan that aims to establish a solid revenue stream now and build the service out as broadband infrastructure improves.

Craster wrote:
What's the betting that you sign up to a monthly tariff, giving you unlimited data for OnLive only via BT? Extremely high, I'd suspect.
BT have said this is what will happen. The deal BT have with OnLive is that they will be the only ISP that can bundle OnLive charges in with your ADSL sub. Other UK ISPs will be able to offer the service, though.

The UK is at an advantage here, because a lot of our internet traffic goes though BT anyway[1], so they are an ideal place to put OnLive servers.

[1] even many LLU firms use Openreach backhaul, albeit under a different commercial arrangement than a normal ADSL customer.

Many people keep saying it won't work, both in this thread and across the Internet. No-one seems to have a good reason why though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 0:50 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Many people keep saying it won't work, both in this thread and across the Internet. No-one seems to have a good reason why though.

No-one has yet provided any compelling evidence that this will work, either.

Get past all the "cloud" bullshit and it all boils down to how quickly and cheaply OnLive can add capacity to the service. Building a data centre isn't cheap or quick. Co-location might be an option, but co-locating in a centre that has a backbone connection to the internet isn't cheap or easy. Adding hardware to existing centres isn't going to be cheap or easy either - this is not a case of adding a few cheap load-balanced Blades and ever increasing NAS, but installing a massive amount of FPU performance.

It doesn't scale. A couple of hundred/maybe thousand beta users doesn't prove the system. Get a million on there. Ten million. Get every PC, 360, Wii, iPlatform... let's get them all on OnLive and let's see how it copes. It won't. Not least because OnLive won't be able to cope with those numbers, but also because the existing infrastructure won't cope with it either.

I like the idea of OnLive, but it's years ahead of its time. This is a project looking for a buyer and nothing more; they may find one, but I doubt the technology will be used for gaming.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:35 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I guess it's mostly just an intuitive reaction. I accept that it will work in ideal circumstances but I can't help feeling that where there are any problems at all the experience would be so degraded as to be thoroughly unpleasant. When it works it's great but the relatively small amounts of data needed to make current online multiplayer function seem to have a hard enough time getting where they need to be at times due to god knows what various transient network problems. So it really beggars belief that in the real world any time soon that this is going to be consistent enough to provide a satisfying experience.

My prediction, there'll be another generation of consoles after this one and this service won't even get near to troubling them, after that who knows. But that's between 5 and 10 years away and we'll all be fitting our moon-houses with holo-suites by then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 17:15 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

From Kotaku :

OnLive's Lag Tested With SCIENCE <Gaywood not included>

http://kotaku.com/5581982/onlives-lag-t ... th-science

Quote:
OnLive, a streaming service that hopes to replace both PCs and consoles as the gaming setup of the future, has its sceptics, who say it's too laggy to work. Why listen to them, when you can listen to science?

The boffins at DigitalFoundry have rigged up a PC and some testing units to see just how much lag OnLive really suffers from. At least in the case of this PC and this internet connection (its performance will of course vary on your location and bandwidth).

Don't mind the slow-motion footage. Take heed of the results, using Unreal Tournament III, which in this case show that the time between button press and on-screen action was around 150ms. That may sound like a lot, but it's typical of the kind of delays you'll face playing any kind of networked game, whether online or even locally.

Other games tested included Dirt 2 and Assassin's Creed II, with both of those games recording lag of around 150-216ms. While this is far from ideal, since it's still slower than you'd experience using a locally-based product (as in, a disc spinning in a console or a game installed on a hard drive), considering the nature and benefits of OnLive, they're...not bad.

It's worth noting, however, that the results were far slower than those originally promised by OnLive, who reckoned lag would only be between 35-80ms, proving perhaps that conditions in the real world are never as ideal as those in a testing environment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 18:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Not sure how they ever thought they were going to get 35ms. My latency to my ISP's DNS servers is higher than that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 19:32 

They've perhaps been misquoted. If the original statement was "35-80ms for our bit, excluding your ISP's connection bit", it would be roughly inline with the Kotaku numbers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:49 
EvilTrousers

Full analysis on Eurogamer now.

Just working my way through it but first bit which piqued my attention;

Quote:
For those with capped bandwidth allowances, OnLive consumes around 2.5GB per hour.

Crikey.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:31 
Hello Hello Hello

So in summary we can pay through the nose for laggy games that look like this, whilst destroying our internet connection for anyone else who wants to use it at the same time.

Wow! Where the fuck do I sign up?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:48 
Paws for thought

Trousers wrote:
Full analysis on Eurogamer now.

Just working my way through it but first bit which piqued my attention;

Quote:
For those with capped bandwidth allowances, OnLive consumes around 2.5GB per hour.

Crikey.

So I'd get about 8 hours assuming gamings all I do. (it's not)

I think I had that much yesterday.

Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next