Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:19 
Gogmagog

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Eh? There were a couple of episodes that were OK, but there's also been some absolutely superb ones in S3.

It wasn't funny, lack of jokes, the writing is getting even lazier
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
(the tweet spat with politicians was the start of that, now there's the fappening, looking forward to prince Andrew next week)
, it seems to want to pick up issue but is unable to carry it through, and doesn't seem to know if it is a sitcom or a drama as it isn't hitting either. Probably because the characters are paper thin for that sort of thing, which is fine in a comedy, but they don't seem to want to be that anymore.

I'm not expecting Brechtian levels of revolutionary theatre, just a few laughs.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 22:18 
Soopah red DS

I'm with Malia about Ted Lasso. There are some lovely bits, but it feels more and more like they're struggling to string them together. And it suffers from the same pacing issues as Star Wars; so many pauses, moments held a beat too long, like they don't trust the audience or the actors or someone enough to just get on with it. Hey, if it's great, we'll pause it and rewatch it, there's no need to haaaaaang on the moment. And a lot of the dialogue just doesn't pop the way they clearly want it to, though it's frustratingly close.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 22:44 
Bad Girl

I thought it was heading this way with season 2 so I’ll probably skip anymore of Ted Lasso. Season 1 was still great though.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:00 
Can you dig it?

We watched E3 and E4 last night, the Zlatan character does seem a bit lazily done. The show does seem a bit flat and a little bit like a pale-ish imitation of the previous series (which I thought were kinda lovely).

JBR wrote:
And a lot of the dialogue just doesn't pop the way they clearly want it to, though it's frustratingly close.

Frustratingly close is a good way of describing it, in many regards.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 22:30 
Gogmagog

Watch "Jury Duty" on Amazon prime. It's a laugh out loud funny documentary about a jury in a civil case in the US. Everyone in it is an actor apart from one juror.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 13:50 
MaliA wrote:
Watch "Jury Duty" on Amazon prime. It's a laugh out loud funny documentary about a jury in a civil case in the US. Everyone in it is an actor apart from one juror.

nickachu wrote:
I thorougly reccomend the a new show called "Jury Duty". It is fantastic.
It's done by the people that did the office(US).

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 20:34 

Really enjoying Poker Face, basically a love letter to Columbo starring Natasha Lyonne as the crumpled investigator. Lovely stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 21:43 

Talking of Peter Falk, I put a new photo in the album of Peter Falk photos I have on my phone.
Attachment:
IMG_0509.jpeg

How lovely is that?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:10 
Can you dig it?

Citadel looked good in the trailers but it's a little bit boring. The main guy is a little unconvincing as a badass and the pretty lady is a very flat, and I think bad, actress. Also, each episode seems to start with an annoying upside down camera that gradually rotates back to upright as it zooms in. The rotate-y cam also happens during some other scenes in the episodes. Once off might have been OK, but repeating it again is stupid, it's a stupid trick and it looks stupid and I hate it.

Sir Taxalot wrote:
We watched E3 and E4 last night, the Zlatan character does seem a bit lazily done. The show does seem a bit flat and a little bit like a pale-ish imitation of the previous series (which I thought were kinda lovely).

JBR wrote:
And a lot of the dialogue just doesn't pop the way they clearly want it to, though it's frustratingly close.

While I agree with some of the 'stubby plot points' mentioned earlier, and mostly stand by the previous viewpoint, I've still found I'm still really enjoying Ted Lasso and will feel a bit sad when it ends. The Roy Kent character is still amazing, I find myself wanting more screentime for him and Jamie Tartt. Could they be strong enough characters for a spin off? maybe, maybe not, but it'd be fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:48 
Decapodian

The creators have said that Ted Lasso was written with a three season arc all planned out, so as it stands S3 will be the last.
I don’t think they were expecting it to be quite such a hit though, so it’s possible we’ll get more in due course, and it does have a great set of characters to work with.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:32 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Citadel looked good in the trailers but it's a little bit boring. The main guy is a little unconvincing as a badass and the pretty lady is a very flat, and I think bad, actress. Also, each episode seems to start with an annoying upside down camera that gradually rotates back to upright as it zooms in. The rotate-y cam also happens during some other scenes in the episodes. Once off might have been OK, but repeating it again is stupid, it's a stupid trick and it looks stupid and I hate it.

Sir Taxalot wrote:

JBR wrote:

While I agree with some of the 'stubby plot points' mentioned earlier, and mostly stand by the previous viewpoint, I've still found I'm still really enjoying Ted Lasso and will feel a bit sad when it ends. The Roy Kent character is still amazing, I find myself wanting more screentime for him and Jamie Tartt. Could they be strong enough characters for a spin off? maybe, maybe not, but it'd be fun.

Yeah Citadel is really, really bad. They seem to have gone all in on it being some sort of amazing flagship show as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 14:51 
Isn't that lovely?

I gave up half way through the first episode of citadel. It was boring.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 0:58 
Can you dig it?

Sir Taxalot wrote:

I think the stupid stupid rotatey cam is supposed to be a selling point, as somehow Amazon decided it's good to do one of those STUPID 'coming up in the next episode of shitadel...' things and there was a tag line of 'turning their world upside down'. What a stupid idea.

I also realised I have a major but trivial problem, something so simple but once I noticed it it I was unable to see past it - when the main guy (unconvincing badass) talks, his top teeth are not visible, only his bottom teeth. I don't know if it's the shape of his mouth or the camera angle, or both, but I find this so incredibly off-putting

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:04 
Can you dig it?

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The creators have said that Ted Lasso was written with a three season arc all planned out, so as it stands S3 will be the last.
I don’t think they were expecting it to be quite such a hit though, so it’s possible we’ll get more in due course, and it does have a great set of characters to work with.

A nicely contained arc does sound good, I'd prefer that to it outstaying its welcome and dragging along (like, say, Supernatural). At the same time I'd be a bit sad it finished.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:11 

Only 12 years too late, we've started watching Game Of Thrones, and have just finished the first season.

I was very pleased that one of the characters said "If you play the game of thrones..." at some point during the first few episodes. Always a sign of a quality show, is that.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:42 
Unpossible!

You says the name, you wins the prize

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:10 
Master of dodgy spelling....

The last episode of Ted Lasso was quite lovely. There were no surprises and it wrapped up quite nicely

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 18:15 
Decapodian

KovacsC wrote:
The last episode of Ted Lasso was quite lovely. There were no surprises and it wrapped up quite nicely

Indeed it was. I felt the previous two were slightly better, but it was excellent from Amsterdam onwards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:21 
Can you dig it?

The end of Manifest wrapped things up in a satisfying way, wrapping up in 4 seasons. The seasons themselves were a bit long and dragged in some places so it could have been a little bit tighter, but it didn't outstay its welcome.

Has anyone watched Fubar yet on Netflix? My friend was talking it up, and I do enjoy a bit of classic Arnie.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:15 
Isn't that lovely?

I love Arnie and have only seen positive things mentioned about it

I watched the first half of the first episode, and there is not one good acting performance in there. Everyone is wooden, Arnie himself is playing someone about 20 years younger than he actually is, which might not matter when you are 60, but starts to become obvious when you are in your 70s.

I might go back and give it another try, but I really wasn't getting it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:27 
Soopah red DS

Yes, I'm the same about Fubar - first episode ends on a cliffhanger, so I'll go back for the second, but he drags everyone else down with him - if they were riffing the same lines with someone else, they might work. Second scene he has to walk away from an explosion, and I wasn't even convinced by him walking. Some sub-standard banter and obvious switches to stunt person for action follows.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:55 
Isn't that lovely?

JBR wrote:
Second scene he has to walk away from an explosion, and I wasn't even convinced by him walking.

My wife and I both burst out laughing at the scene, and I'm pretty sure that was not intended.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 19:50 
Sitting balls-back folder

I kind of think it's supposed to be the True Lies and Last Action Hero of TV, poking fun at both the genre and Arnie in it.

Not that I think it's landing particularly well, 2 or 3 episodes in.

I am really starting to think we're beyond Peak Netflix. We're definitely past Peak Disney.

I'm not sure Amazon ever really had enough of a clue what the fuck it was doing to define a peak, but given how little there ever is to watch (NO I DO NOT WANT FOOTBALL YOU FUCKING CRETINS) and how they keep finding ways to fuck the user experience even harder (seriously, less and less navigable and functional, and more and more and more FUCKING FOOTBALL) there can't be long left, after Alexa drifts into the night.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

BikNorton wrote:
I kind of think it's supposed to be the True Lies and Last Action Hero of TV, poking fun at both the genre and Arnie in it.

True Lies is the True Lies of TV, and I quite liked it so I was sad it got cancelled :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 19:47 
Decapodian

Anyone else still watching Riverdale?

This season is excellent and the Halloween episode just awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 13:41 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

https://gizmodo.com/babylon-5-the-road- ... 1850541869

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 18:25 
Decapodian

Aside from half the voice cast having to be replacements, that looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 23:14 
Gogmagog

Florida Man on Netflix is an entertaining watch, or as I like to call it "What Daphne's brother did next".

Moss is superb.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 23:54 
Gogmagog

Got a tear in my eye watching the third episode of the Tour de a France thing on Netflix. It's half about Pinot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 20:23 
Decapodian

Futurama is back, baby!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 22:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I love Futurama... but I'm annoyed that my complete Futurama box set is no longer complete.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 17:28 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

The second series of 'The Bear' has been released (to corrupt uncle sites). Again it is just stunning. Episode 6 is anxiety inducing stuff and has a murderer's row of a cast.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 20:09 
Soopah red DS

Yeah, I agree. Just started it yesterday. First couple of scene-setting minutes I thought oh dear, wider perspective, magic's gone. But no, corking again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 0:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Did it all over the weekend, brilliant stuff. Episodes 6 and 7 were the standout ones for me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:32 
Can you dig it?

Last Man on Earth is amusing and irritating at the same time. The characters do some really shitty things and while there is some growth and development it was very hard to root for some of them, especially in the first series.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 20:34 

Dammit, have you watched bear in dodgy download or sky or something? Not on Disney for a fortnight!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 20:39 

We checked Disney out of desperation last night for the first time since mando, at least found Secret Invasion, which looked great in the trailer but... is not.

They're really pushing their luck when it comes to renewal this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 20:55 
Soopah red DS

BikNorton wrote:
We checked Disney out of desperation last night for the first time since mando, at least found Secret Invasion, which looked great in the trailer but... is not.

They're really pushing their luck when it comes to renewal this year.

Have you tried Mr Inbetween?

(Agree about Secret Invasion. Every time I blithely think ChatGPT et al will take a long time to take off because they create such plodding prose, something like that comes along to show how much of what we hear is plodding already. Cheering along someone who you've just forced to give you info with "Now that wasn't so very diffic..." really, that line for the millionth time?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 22:23 
Prince of Fops

Mr in-between is fantastic. The man has the most amazing, disarmingly threatening face.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 23:48 

Sounds like a thing to add to the list!

It's on Disney, Netflix or Amazon right?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 0:03 
Soopah red DS

Disney!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 21:37 
Decapodian

Star Trek Strange New Worlds has been awesome.

The weekend’s crossover with Lower Decks was hilarious and Under The Cloak Of War was a total change of pace. Next week is the musical episode!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 16:54 
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Star Trek Strange New Worlds has been awesome.

I didn't even know about this show until I saw adverts for season 2 while I was in the states, and I binged the first season in a couple of days, and I'm loving this season too. It's ace!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 19:11 

Yeah it's absolutely beautiful telly. Anson Mount as the likeable starship captain straight from the jet age couldn't be more perfectly cast. Effects are top drawer and not really any tedious long-winded story arcs that you just can't give a fuck about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 21:29 
Decapodian

The musical ep was very good but the songs weren’t as memorable as Buffy’s once more with feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 21:31 
Soopah red DS

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The musical ep was very good but the songs weren’t as memorable as Buffy’s once more with feeling.

Worth it for the crew's reaction every time the music started!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 21:34 
Decapodian

JBR wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Worth it for the crew's reaction every time the music started!

And the Klingons

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 23:07 
Soopah red DS

markg wrote:
Yeah it's absolutely beautiful telly. Anson Mount as the likeable starship captain straight from the jet age couldn't be more perfectly cast. Effects are top drawer and not really any tedious long-winded story arcs that you just can't give a fuck about.

Anson Mount is a stone-cold dude. Gives us all hope for how we might look when we're older.

Except he's actually younger than me. Arse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:21 
Unpossible!

I think you're doing alright, JBR.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

JBR wrote:

Except he's actually younger than me. Arse.

What age is the rest of you?

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next