Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 607, 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 0:43 
Sitting balls-back folder

Autotrader reckons I can pretty much swap my superb for a reasonable age, standard and mileage lexus ISF.

Hnnnng.

Good job that's one thing I can't do idly with beer in one hand and internet in the other.

Still though. One last hurrah for dinosaur squeezin's while I wait for Ford to sell me a Ranger lightning?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:36 
Can you dig it?

Lady T called, the big Mazda broke down on the way to work.

Given the descriptions she gave, Dr Google leads me to believe it's the transfer case or the transmission (it's an auto, AWD). I'm feeling pessimistic about it.

Given it's a 2008 model and has done over 260,000km I have a feeling this will be an expensive repair that needs to be compared against the actual value of the car :'(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:53 

Transfer case? Take all the bits out, put a blanking plate ("scrap piece of steel cut about right") on the engine/gearbox output, job done while you save up. Which won't take long, it's an old Mazda, it's all in the labour and all under it on a lift.

Transmission? It's an old Mazda, it's all in the etc.

It's not like you've done anything daft and bought the high-output MPS or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:45 

OTOH, at 260,000km there's probably an awful lot more stuff that's about to go wrong...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:47 
Hello Hello Hello

BikNorton wrote:
Autotrader reckons I can pretty much swap my superb for a reasonable age, standard and mileage lexus ISF.

Hnnnng.

Good job that's one thing I can't do idly with beer in one hand and internet in the other.

Still though. One last hurrah for dinosaur squeezin's while I wait for Ford to sell me a Ranger lightning?

There's an ISF on the island that I see driving around sometimes, I think it looks and sounds magnificent.

If you're serious about it then do a bit of research, they made some tweaks to it mid-run that much improved it apparently. (The video linked below covers it from memory.)

My GS300 is still delivering exemplary service, we're doing 'hybrid working' now which means some office working and some WFH, so it is getting a decent amount of use, I'm even managing to get 33mpg out of it which for a big car with a 3 litre V6 in it, isn't bad going at all!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

BikNorton wrote:
Transfer case? Take all the bits out, put a blanking plate ("scrap piece of steel cut about right") on the engine/gearbox output, job done while you save up. Which won't take long, it's an old Mazda, it's all in the labour and all under it on a lift.

Depending on what has broken, whipping the front or rear propshaft off may "fix" it, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 22:42 

@hearthly ta. I'd like to say it was school-night-drunken-whimsy, but I'm still going "hmmm" to myself a day later.

After all, I'm lining up a grand on suspension, a grand on ECU and dsg remaps, and more recently at least a grand on airflow. And it's going to need at least 500 on brakes soon too, somehow after more than 4 years not even need pads yet but it's starting to feel a bit squidgy and the discs are very lipped all round.

So really, even if an isf cost me 2 grand, it'd be a saving.

I doubt it'd even cost more in fuel, I did 170miles mostly on cruise at motorway speed a couple of weekends back and got 34mpg average - the VAG EA888 is hilariously inefficient, much worse than I bargained for (Helens kodiaq in 180hp trim isn't any better).

The absurd, old man £217 I paid for fully comp insurance this year would no doubt change, but then all those mods I'm planning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:45 
Can you dig it?

Grim... wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Depending on what has broken, whipping the front or rear propshaft off may "fix" it, too.

As it's the car Lady T tends to use for the kids, I'll probably hold off on things like that for now. If it was just a car I used for myself, possibly I'd try those things. Could that sort of 'repair' lead to failing a safety check (like an MOT equivalent)?

GazChap wrote:
OTOH, at 260,000km there's probably an awful lot more stuff that's about to go wrong...

Well, yes, really we'd just be buying a bit more time. I would be OK spending, say, a thousand bucks on it, but much more than that would be hard to justify given the value of the car (its not worth all that much at this late stage in life).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:58 
Hello Hello Hello

BikNorton wrote:
@hearthly ta. I'd like to say it was school-night-drunken-whimsy, but I'm still going "hmmm" to myself a day later.

After all, I'm lining up a grand on suspension, a grand on ECU and dsg remaps, and more recently at least a grand on airflow. And it's going to need at least 500 on brakes soon too, somehow after more than 4 years not even need pads yet but it's starting to feel a bit squidgy and the discs are very lipped all round.

So really, even if an isf cost me 2 grand, it'd be a saving.

I doubt it'd even cost more in fuel, I did 170miles mostly on cruise at motorway speed a couple of weekends back and got 34mpg average - the VAG EA888 is hilariously inefficient, much worse than I bargained for (Helens kodiaq in 180hp trim isn't any better).

The absurd, old man £217 I paid for fully comp insurance this year would no doubt change, but then all those mods I'm planning.

By all accounts the ISF is very reliable, just make sure you get one that's been looked after and hasn't had a load of crap done to it. It's definitely on my list of 'crazy cars I'd like to own' whilst also being an under the radar Q car type affair. The rear aspect in particular I think looks stunning with those stacked quad exhausts.

And yes, it's literally the type of car that will never be built again, a naturally aspirated V8 isn't a thing in new cars, so perhaps enjoy one whilst you can.

Definitely watch the video I linked above, the guys know their stuff and there was a year where Lexus changed a couple of things to make it a dynamically better car.

The biggest problem with the ISF of course is there aren't that many around, and nice ones aren't cheap!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 19:19 

I did watch the video - makes it seem like I *definitely* wouldn't fit, which is a straight no go (especially as autotrader puts the nearest one at 70 miles away), the superb turned out to be borderline with how I need to sit forward and upright due to most of my 6'2" being in my spine.

Jared from Wrench Every Day is a tall, large guy and fits okayish but it's in the proportions I guess.

It has at least made me question all the superb mods I've been lining up, probably for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 0:32 
Can you dig it?

Sir Taxalot wrote:
borken car stuff

Welp, the garage called Lady T and she passed on the message which I'll paraphrase as 'the transmission thingy is fucked innit, that's 5k for parts and about 2.5k for labour' :(

So, that's about the same as the car is likely worth, so it's bye-bye big car. :'(

I know it's just the way it is, so all I'm doing is bemoaning a known circumstance, but if Lady T had stuffed the car into something we'd get the insurance pay out... but because it's a mechanical thing we get nowt but scrap value and that makes me and my bank account a bit sad :S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 0:43 
Can you dig it?

Lady T has borrowed a car from a workmate (young lass that's currently disqualified from driving for being caught on her phone TWICE, tch....... sucks for her, but is good for us).

The number plate is MN33QE ( :roll: ) - can you guess the owners name?

It's a Fiesta and it looks TINY parked in our garage, compared to the old one that we had to squeeze around. I also think it looks quite smart and whizzy, so I might see if she'll sell it to us for cheapz.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:26 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Hmmm, received a Community Speedwatch "Notice of Excess Speed" today. Gave me a spook at first as it looks like a speeding ticket, but basically it seems to just be a letter telling me off for going too quickly ( which I was )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:47 
Awesome
Yes

Squirt wrote:
Hmmm, received a Community Speedwatch "Notice of Excess Speed" today. Gave me a spook at first as it looks like a speeding ticket, but basically it seems to just be a letter telling me off for going too quickly ( which I was )

How did they get your address?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:53 

DVLA will give out the address of registered keepers for a small fee (£2 I think, might be £10) but only if you have a Good Reason -- or at least, something that DVLA consider to be a Good Reason.

I would imagine that community speed watchers have arrangements with local police and/or DVLA to enable them to get addresses from DVLA.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:56 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

It's odd - it's from the Police, but it's not a Notice of Intended Prosecution. I'm assuming they work with the Police but it doesn't appear to be "official" at all.

This suggests it's just a "Warning letter"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:22 
Gogmagog

Pin it to a lamp post at the location with "Snitches get stitches and end up in ditches" written over it in red ink.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

...wearing britches.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:46 
Hibernating Druid

I’ll grass you up again, Stirling Bloody Moss!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:55 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Damn right. I'm off to Lydford-on-Fosse to beat up some Community Speedwarch narcs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 19:51 

Good job I didn't rush out and buy an ISF, I remembered this afternoon that Helen now has to park on the side of Fiveways in Birmingham that's inside the clean air zone, needing euro 5 to avoid charges.

She doesn't have to use my car a *lot*, but we all know how fate loves an unfortunate coincidence.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 23:04 
Hibernating Druid

MOT passed with no advisories. New set of Toyo Proxies CF2s on too, car feels much better and safer! Previous tyres were a mix of Landsail and Continentals.. all with badly cracked side walls.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 23:13 

The Landsail brand baffles me - like, all the skill in sailing is being able to predict and counter all the random stuff that happens in the low friction, random input seagoing environment, and it's only ever best effort.

It's not what I'm looking for in my car experience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 23:25 
Hibernating Druid

Remarket as Landsnail I’d say, “Stick to the floor like a shelled slug”.

Even though they don’t.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:07 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I'm going to have some difficulty fitting the wheels in the Fox wheel arches, so to make things go a bit easier I've swapped one of the tyres from a 195/65r15 to a 165/45r15
It's definitely made a big difference to the overall size but I'm not convinced it looks right, it's stretched on and looks a bit elastic bandy. I could go 14" wheel and get a bit of side wall back but that means buying all new wheels and I can't afford it rn. I can set up the arches with the one wheel and figure out the wheels thing later. Decisions decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:05 
Hibernating Druid

Attack the arches with a reciprocating saw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:08 
Hibernating Druid

Got a FULL SET of NEW Toyo Proxie CF2s on my car. First time I’ve ever done that, always replaced as and when needed in pairs (mostly part worn too), so I’m feeling like a king of the road now.

Worried the extra tread has increased weight so I’m going to take the bonnet off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:09 

Zardoz wrote:

You joke, but that's the next step

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:11 
Hibernating Druid

Zardoz wrote:
Got a FULL SET of NEW Toyo Proxie CF2s on my car. First time I’ve ever done that, always replaced as and when needed in pairs (mostly part worn too), so I’m feeling like a king of the road now.

Worried the extra tread has increased weight so I’m going to take the bonnet off.

Ha, just seen I’d already boasted about new tyres, I’m so old and senile…

What?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:12 
Hibernating Druid

krazywookie wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

You joke, but that's the next step

DO IT!!!

Or roll the arches?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:22 
Hibernating Druid

Wait, is this a new (to you) VW Fox?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 20:51 

Not a VW, it's cooler than that... A Reliant Fox.

And it's fiberglass so no rolling for me, it's out with the grinder.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 20:56 
Hibernating Druid

Ah! Ooooooh!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 15:48 

Arts and crafts day has yielded:

A wheel arch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 20:56 
Hibernating Druid

Cor! That made from fibreglass sheeting?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 21:48 

It's hactually fomex board, the 5mm foam with paper covers stuff. You make the shape with it then lay up the fibre glass on both sides and it makes a really solid structure. I've used it in a few places just to make components and it's surprisingly rigid, for the arches though I'll be making the formers from board then using them to make the molds then using the molds to make the parts! Better be worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:39 
Hibernating Druid

I’m sure it’ll be worth it. Is yours a pick-up or do you have a full back? Don’t remember ever seeing a Fox, only Robins, Kittens & Scimittars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:04 

Mine came with a full back, I think maybe they all did? I've taken it off because it's much cuter as a pick up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 13:59 
Master of dodgy spelling....

A quick question.

Where is a recommended place to get tyres from, and who should I avoid.

My car currently has Bridgestone 225/40/19 Y 93. As I have not had to buy tyres for 20 years.. I am a bit clueless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 14:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

I use these guys https://www.tyresonthedrive.com most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 15:36 

KovacsC wrote:
A quick question.

Where is a recommended place to get tyres from, and who should I avoid.

My car currently has Bridgestone 225/40/19 Y 93. As I have not had to buy tyres for 20 years.. I am a bit clueless

Hometyre.co.uk, tell 'em Gaz sent you (I'm their IT spod)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 17:26 

MOT day! And recent past me is cursing 2022 past me for not setting sufficient alarms leading me to realise I had a week to get it sorted.

Anyhow, the annual day of judgement came and....

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Turns out the washer pipes weren't frozen over the cold snap but the pump itself was buggered. Still, an easy fix so that's that sorted. The advisories are Future Kern's problems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 18:02 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Thanks folks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:38 
Hibernating Druid

Project update plz, Krazywookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:24 

Put the GT-Four into long term storage to stop it rusting away any more. Left an unsightly gap on our driveway.

Thought about an S2000. Decided against it.

Hopefully I haven't made a terrible decision.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:50 
Decapodian

Very nice. Is that the 3.2 or 3.4?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:10 
Unpossible!

Get a 360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:18 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Very nice. Is that the 3.2 or 3.4?

3.4. Hopefully not one of the bore-scored ones ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:18 

DavPaz wrote:
Get a 360

Not you as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:28 
Decapodian

DavPaz wrote:
Get a 360

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 1143253516 ?

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 607, 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613  Next