Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 51
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:02 

This might fit better in our recent airport anxiety dream chat but yesterday my usually excellent diary keeping failed me.

For months I've had Thursday 12th May in my calendar for a trip to the theatre to see Nish Kumar, so after a tedious work meeting that ran late I dashed down to Oxford.

It was only as I approached the venue and started finding the ticket on my phone did I notice young families going in.

"That's odd", I thought as I finally dug up the right email, but I guess I could see how he might have some appeal to the Mr Tumble crowd.

I was about to cross the road and enter the theatre when I suddenly noticed the date on the ticket:

Tuesday 17th May.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:58 
Unpossible!

Classic sitcom moment

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:15 

Kern wrote:
This might fit better in our recent airport anxiety dream chat but yesterday my usually excellent diary keeping failed me.

For months I've had Thursday 12th May in my calendar for a trip to the theatre to see Nish Kumar, so after a tedious work meeting that ran late I dashed down to Oxford.

It was only as I approached the venue and started finding the ticket on my phone did I notice young families going in.

"That's odd", I thought as I finally dug up the right email, but I guess I could see how he might have some appeal to the Mr Tumble crowd.

I was about to cross the road and enter the theatre when I suddenly noticed the date on the ticket:

Tuesday 17th May.

I hope you still went to see Mr Tumble.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 14:48 

My brother in law got his monthly energy bill.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 17:13 
Gogmagog

£33 DD is surely an error.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 18:06 

I didn’t even notice that.

But goodness, could you imagine being an older vulnerable person who has been heading about meteoric rises in energy charges and getting a bill like that. Not everyone would know it was a mistake and could cause some real distress and knock on health issues.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 14:00 

After all the excitement of Eurovision (and surprisingly no hangover) I sat down to watch Britain play Norway at the ice hockey World championships. Clearly it was going to be another walkover with the plucky Brits putting up a valiant if doomed effort.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
For periods 1 & 2 I was right. Norway 3, GB 0.

Was going to start making plans for the day when with seven minutes to go in period 3 GB got one in.
And the another 40 seconds later.
And then an equaliser in the final 2 minutes!

Overtime here we go!

Neither side had much luck on the 3v3 so it came down to penalties.

Norway won but blimey, what a game!

Too much excitement and joy for one weekend so I'm off to the symphony this evening to be reminded of the futility of it all by some Mahler.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 19:26 
Decapodian

The view from our hotel terrace is a bit special.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 19:27 

Didn’t realise you were taking Davpaz with you.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 19:28 

That sunset looks like it is made from ice cream.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 19:50 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
Didn’t realise you were taking Davpaz with you.

Too much hair

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 20:55 
Gogmagog

Spent the weekend clearing the spare room out. Took apart a bed in the kids' room, then reassembled it in the spare room. Disassembled the day bed in the spare room, then reassembled it in the kids' room. Now they have separate rooms. They had walkie talkies so they can communicate, so all dandy. Lasted ten fucking minutes before BigOne had a change of heart. Fuck's sake. The wankers.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:59 

Posted in wrong thread

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:19 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Kern wrote:
After all the excitement of Eurovision (and surprisingly no hangover) I sat down to watch Britain play Norway at the ice hockey World championships. Clearly it was going to be another walkover with the plucky Brits putting up a valiant if doomed effort.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
For periods 1 & 2 I was right. Norway 3, GB 0.

Was going to start making plans for the day when with seven minutes to go in period 3 GB got one in.
And the another 40 seconds later.
And then an equaliser in the final 2 minutes!

Overtime here we go!

Neither side had much luck on the 3v3 so it came down to penalties.

Norway won but blimey, what a game!

Too much excitement and joy for one weekend so I'm off to the symphony this evening to be reminded of the futility of it all by some Mahler.

The lady that does my sports massages, plays for team GB. SHe is bloody awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:09 

KovacsC wrote:
The lady that does my sports massages, plays for team GB. SHe is bloody awesome.

Excellent stuff! They had a brilliant season from what I've heard.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:54 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Why would you advertise the fact that you'd won £184m on the lottery? The first things this couple need to do are stop dreaming, hire bodyguards for the kids and move a secret location.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:37 
Gogmagog

Warhead wrote:
Why would you advertise the fact that you'd won £184m on the lottery? The first things this couple need to do are stop dreaming, hire bodyguards for the kids and move a secret location.

If think the answer is something along the lines of "we'll sort out financial planning and do all the dull grunt work for you, and we will be on call if you have a few photos taken, if not good luck have fun".

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:44 

Well either that or they just want everyone to know. It's not entirely uncommon for rich folks who often advertise their status by living in mansions and driving supercars etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 13:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

I imagine they get a hard sell to go public from the euromillions people "you need to control the message, it'll get out anyway, this way you do it on your own time etc.." as they want the publicity.
Similar to timeshare sales tactics :) Personally I would tell them to get fucked.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 14:07 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
I imagine they get a hard sell to go public from the euromillions people "you need to control the message, it'll get out anyway, this way you do it on your own time etc.." as they want the publicity.
Similar to timeshare sales tactics :) Personally I would tell them to get fucked.

I'll do your PR.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 14:11 
Soopah red DS

He, Mr Winner, is my age. I'd swap him the money, but not the life. Gosh.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 15:43 
EvilTrousers

I haven't posted here in four years it turns out. I've given up on Twitter recently and binned off Facebook a while ago and one of the few things I have missed are the updates of the people that reside in here, so here I am.

Since I last posted I have got married, had a dog die, turned 50, got a new dog, had my daughter change gender to be my son, moved house, changed job, gone bald, lost weight, seen Tool and Dad had a stroke. Oh and a pandemic, dunno if you had that round here but it was quite bad.

That's you lot all up to date on me, how's tricks?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 16:18 

Not much has changed but we live underwater.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 16:27 

That’s a lot of big life things, Trousers. I hope you’ve weathered it all as well as can be hoped, and sorry to hear of the loss of your dad and your dog. And hooray for gaining a new dog (pics please) and the growth of your boy into himself. Are you enjoying your new job? It’s only recentish that I’ve seen you about Twitter and the rest so it doesn’t feel like you’ve been ‘away’ away.

The pandemic hit our little family hard in ways other than direct illness, but we are all well. We also moved into our first house, which was ace. We have a garden now so we’ve been growing vegetables, and generally being outside as much as we can). D is in school now (year one), and Russell has changed jobs maybe two times since you last posted. x

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 17:22 

Welcome back Trousers.

Thank you for the update. Sorry to hear about your losses but glad there's been joy too.

See you at Cottage? Or perhaps a Tuesday Zoom?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 17:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Trousers wrote:
That's you lot all up to date on me, how's tricks?

'Sup Troos

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 18:20 
Gogmagog

Hey! Nice to see you again! Sounds all in hand

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 20:15 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Ah man, Trousers is back! Hide your high score tables!

Seriously though, good to hear from you!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 20:40 

Yay, Trousers! Sounds like you've really been through the mill what with one thing and another. Glad you're doing okay now.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 21:04 
Prince of Fops

Hey trousers! You know rentaghost is on Britbox now?

Sounds like you've been through some seismic stuff, hope it's been as smooth as can be.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:40 

On Tuesday I found a young woman’s driving license in the road. It had a Derby address on, so I decided to see if she was on Facebook to check the address was still current so I could post it to her. The next day she contacted me back, was very pleasant and said she lived here in Walsall now, would it be ok to pop by to pick it up. I said sure, or just drop me her address and we’d pop it through her letterbox if that was easier (and wouldn’t risk us being out). She read it immediately as I was typing it, looked like she was about to respond, then nothing, and I’ve not heard back since then, so I’ve got some random woman’s driving license. I’ll wait a few more days and try again, but after that :shrug:

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 17:15 

The highlight of today's hike was seeing this old railway sign in a bus shelter in a village in Gloucestershire. Achievement Unlocked!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:26 
EvilTrousers

Mimi wrote:
That’s a lot of big life things, Trousers. I hope you’ve weathered it all as well as can be hoped, and sorry to hear of the loss of your dad and your dog.

Hi Mimi, My Dad is still around, he lost mobility and a bit of himself but he's still there and still giving my Mum shit so that's good. Losing Charlie was not good at the time as he was a cracking dog but about 4 months later local dog shelter rang us and we ended up with Bert, a Shorkie and he's also a cracking dog.

I'm in a very good place really, so although an eventful few years I'm more appreciative than ever of the situation I'm in.

Here's Bert and Millie together for some Sunday morning cuteness.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:10 

Oh I’m so sorry, I misread that terribly.

I’m sure losing Charlie was really tough. I think dogs can be the closest of friends. Bert and Millie look like amazing chums.

I’d love a little doggo, but we don’t have any proper fencing in the garden. We do have an occasional visit from Trixie though, who popped by to see her bestie yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:45 

Good to hear from you Trousers -- quite an eventful few years indeed!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 14:19 

Mimi wrote:
On Tuesday I found a young woman’s driving license in the road. It had a Derby address on, so I decided to see if she was on Facebook to check the address was still current so I could post it to her. The next day she contacted me back, was very pleasant and said she lived here in Walsall now, would it be ok to pop by to pick it up. I said sure, or just drop me her address and we’d pop it through her letterbox if that was easier (and wouldn’t risk us being out). She read it immediately as I was typing it, looked like she was about to respond, then nothing, and I’ve not heard back since then, so I’ve got some random woman’s driving license. I’ll wait a few more days and try again, but after that :shrug:

Well, I contacted her again this Tuesday and she read the message but still hasn’t replied so I’m not sure what to do with this now. Why would you not want your driving license back?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 14:43 
Isn't that lovely?

Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Well, I contacted her again this Tuesday and she read the message but still hasn’t replied so I’m not sure what to do with this now. Why would you not want your driving license back?

I would send her one more message saying, I'm going to keep it for a week and if I don't hear from you, I will hand it in to the local police station/post it to the DVLA

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 14:56 

Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I would send her one more message saying, I'm going to keep it for a week and if I don't hear from you, I'm going to use it to hire a car and go ram raiding for wool, craft supplies etc.

FEEX

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 15:17 
Awesome
Yes

markg wrote:
Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I would send her one more message saying, I'm going to keep it for a week and if I don't hear from you, I'm going to use it to hire a car and go ram raiding for wool, craft supplies etc.

FEEX

It'll be that cadbury creme egg car though

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 17:38 

Mr Russell wrote:
markg wrote:
Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:

FEEX

It'll be that cadbury creme egg car though

Pea car > crème egg car (though not sure how much yarn I could fit in either).

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 18:34 

Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I would send her one more message saying, I'm going to keep it for a week and if I don't hear from you, I will hand it in to the local police station/post it to the DVLA

Well, I sent her a message yesterday (not saying quite that, but: ‘hi! I still have your license here and I’m concerned you might need it and wondered if you had any other thoughts about collecting it or if you want to pop me your address we’ll drive over and pop it through your letterbox, or post it on somewhere if that’s better for you? Many thanks, Mimi :)

And she messaged me back this morning:

Hi, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I forgot about my license. I’m free after 10:30 so would love to pick it up after then some today if that’s ok?

Great!

So I messaged her back immediately as I wanted to go to B&Q:

‘No problem! Yes, that’s absolutely fine. Do you have a rough time if when you’ll pop by as I want to pop to B&Q and don’t want to be out when you turn up to collect it? If you can give me an estimate of tve time you’ll be calling by I’ll make sure I’m here.’

*crickets chirp*

And it’s now coming up to 7pm.

LOL.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 19:51 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think I'd just chuck it in the bin at this point.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 22:07 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:

I've said we should send a message saying we've dropped it in the post, and then drop it in the bin. It's just taking on someone else's responsibilities at this point.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:54 

I've just spotted a woodpecker in my garden, busy pecking away at my tree.
Haven't seen one here before so that's a great way to start the day.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:18 

Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I've said we should send a message saying we've dropped it in the post, and then drop it in the bin. It's just taking on someone else's responsibilities at this point.

Well, no, I’m not going to lie, and we don’t have her current address, otherwise I’d just take it over to her house.

I’ll just leave it but not attempt to arrange anything more. If she turns up to collect it one day and we’re in then, fine. If she contacts me again I’ll say we aren’t waiting in all day after last time and ask again if she’d like it dropping over or posting on, or she can pop in whenever but risk us not being here. But I’ll say it nicer.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:21 

Kern wrote:
I've just spotted a woodpecker in my garden, busy pecking away at my tree.
Haven't seen one here before so that's a great way to start the day.

That’s a wonderful start to the morning! What woodpecker did you spot?

We have a Great Spotted as a regular visitor but we did also once have a Green, and that was hugely exciting as I haven’t seen a Green woodpecker since I was a child.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:31 

I think it was a great spotted. I hope it comes back so I can get a better look (and perhaps a photo)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 13:04 

The local pub has hung flags everywhere for the jubilee. They've flown a couple from lampposts but clearly their ladder wasn't tall enough so they look like they are disturbingly at half mast.

Unless they know something we don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 21:32 

Prince Andrew has conveniently caught Covid and that’s definitely the real reason he can’t go to the jubilee celebrations. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-61516564

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:45 
Can you dig it?

Mimi wrote:
I’ll just leave it but not attempt to arrange anything more. If she turns up to collect it one day and we’re in then, fine. If she contacts me again I’ll say we aren’t waiting in all day after last time and ask again if she’d like it dropping over or posting on, or she can pop in whenever but risk us not being here. But I’ll say it nicer.

Leave your house keys under a rock in the front garden and then she can let herself in and get her license from off the hallway table.

Wait, leaving keys outside is a bad idea, so leave rock in front garden outside door then she can break window and come in and get the license off the hallway table.

But, then you have glass to clear up. Maybe put the hallway table out in the front garden and use the rock to weigh the driving license down so it doesn't blow away, then she can come and get the license from the hallway table. Which is now in the front garden. Under a rock.

Reply to topic  [ 2920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 59  Next