Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dreams and nightmares
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:50 
Sitting balls-back folder

Most of my anxiety comes from approaching event paralysis as you put it Mimi. As soon as The Thing starts, I'm usually fine, but right up to it I feel horrible.

Weirdly, it's worst when The Thing is a meeting involving people who report to me, much easier telling people above my station why they're wrong.

That fear of The Thing makes it hard to prepare for The Thing for added self-fulfilling prophecy effect.

The lack of control thing DavPaz mentions used to make me really early for things too as some unconscious form of attempted control. I've improved by still get really stressed when Helen makes us down to the wire by doing totally unnecessary things.

Flights are totally the worst, especially if they start with waiting for a taxi.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:57 

What's worse is if you're travelling with someone who doesn't think you need to get there eight hours of ahead of time and thinks you can do it all in twenty minutes. They might be right but it's a really uncomfortable conversation. Similarly, I am in the cinema at the time on the ticket, not 30 minutes later. One day they won't show all those trailers and where would be then?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:43 
Unpossible!

I think my worst thing is if I need to be up earlier than usual for something, I will get so worried about oversleeping that often won't sleep at all. Which is counter productive

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:49 

I'm usually OK with the whole airport experience -- I err on the side of caution and generally arrive far earlier than I really need to, but I don't tend to worry too much about things.

What I do get anxious about, almost unbearably so, is specifically about how I'm going to get to the airport from my hotel or wherever.

If the outbound flight is late enough in the day that I feel like I can drive to the airport, get parked up etc. and get to the terminal in plenty of time then usually I'm OK.

But, if (like on our recent flight to Barbados, and our flight this weekend to NYC) we're flying out early in the morning, I always prefer to stay at a hotel near the airport the night before and that then gives me incredible levels of anxiety about how I'm going to get to the terminal from the hotel.

If the hotel offers airport transfers, that lessens the anxiety somewhat but I still worry that we'll miss the transfer bus, or that it'll break down, or that they won't let us on the bus or something like that.

It's much, much worse on the way back too. We stayed at an Air BnB in Barbados which obviously doesn't have any kind of airport transfer service, and because the AirBnB was a bit off the beaten track, I wasn't at all confident that I'd be able to get a taxi by calling someone (not helped by there being no central taxi dispatcher number as far as I could see)

In the end, I had to book a taxi using the Barbados equivalent of Uber, which was anxiety-inducing in its own way because the app was unfamiliar and wasn't particularly easy to use, and I had no idea whether it would charge my card automatically or whether I'd need to get the driver to charge my card etc.

It's always the part of any holiday/trip that I hate the most. If I had the choice, I'd move house so that I was relatively close to a major airport so that I didn't have all of the angst every time I decided I wanted to fly somewhere, lol.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:50 

Kern wrote:
One day they won't show all those trailers and where would be then?

I never used to worry about this at all, until one time that I attended a cinema screening (can't remember what movie) at Cineworld that was exclusive to their Unlimited members. I'm assuming it was kinda like a pre-release screening or something (or they just didn't have the trailer/ads reels setup) because there were no ads or trailers at all, and it really threw me for a loop.

And now I'm always super-anxious about getting to the cinema for the time on the ticket.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

GazChap wrote:
It's much, much worse on the way back too. We stayed at an Air BnB in Barbados which obviously doesn't have any kind of airport transfer service, and because the AirBnB was a bit off the beaten track, I wasn't at all confident that I'd be able to get a taxi by calling someone (not helped by there being no central taxi dispatcher number as far as I could see)

I booked airport transfers with a local company well in advance, and inexplicably had absolutely no record of having done so. No email confirmation, text, couldn't even remember who I'd booked them through. Was fine on the way out, get of the plane, go up to the guy with the clipboard at the taxi rank, and there we are on the list.

Flying home I had absolutely no clue what time I'd booked the cab for and no way to check :)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:16 

Yes, I find staying over at an airport hotel (Premier Inn Heathrow FTW!) so much easier than dashing in the morning. Citymapper and similar apps make the connection easier too. I'd prefer it if there was better pedestrian access however as waiting for a bus that might or might not arrive at stupid o'clock is more tense then calculating how long a mile walk might take me (I think Heathrow isn't even accessible at all on foot).

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:19 

I don’t think any of you guys are really helping with my anxiety dreams right now, btw.

:DD

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 13:16 

Kern wrote:
(I think Heathrow isn't even accessible at all on foot).

It'd better bloody be, we're staying at the Sofitel on Saturday night and I chose that hotel specifically because they say that T5 is a few minutes walk away!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 13:18 

Kern wrote:
Yes, I find staying over at an airport hotel (Premier Inn Heathrow FTW!) so much easier than dashing in the morning.

The most extreme I ever took that was when I went to Amsterdam with an ex-girlfriend about 2 years before I met Jem.

I booked a hotel on the Amsterdam side that was near to the airport, precisely because I wanted it to be easy to get back to the airport for the return flight -- not realising that Schiphol airport is about 8 miles out of the city centre.

Luckily there was a very efficient rail service between the airport and the centre!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 18:34 
Decapodian

Cras wrote:
Every time I fly anywhere I am utterly convinced that I've forgotten some vital part of the process/documentation

Pretty sure everyone does that. I do.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 20:43 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
I totally sympathise by the way. I have very similar dreams about travelling. In fact most of my dreams are about travelling, either to work/school or trying to get home after.

If I were to get all analytical, I'd say I have issues with relying on things that are outside of my control, like trains and buses. Even though I know in my heart that being late for something is not the end of the world, I *hate* being late for stuff. I once arrived at a job interview 2 hours early because I was relying in buses and I didn't want to be late. I had to go on a wander for about 90 minutes before I finally went and announced my arrival :)

We absolutely nailed our arrival time to see the band last night, though. Walk in, get a beer, ten minutes later the band starts.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 21:14 
Unpossible!

Don't forget that I arrived in the pub at exactly 8pm. So efficient

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 21:47 
Gogmagog

And I got on the train with ten seconds to spare!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:24 

I had a dream that we were driving past a field that had a three part gigantic mobile stage rigging, that someone had tried to obscure by covering it in trees.

We moved the trees, and it was set with thousands of cubbyholes, shaped a bit like the arches from the opening titles of The Muppet Show. Dr Zoidberg noticed that each cubbyhole had a small bird in it, nesting. Dimrill picked up one of the small birds for a cuddle, and noticed that behind each bird was a jar of marshmallows, or some candy floss, or a jar of sweets. Then Russell snored and woke me up so the rest was ruined.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 15:47 

I had a dream where I was on holiday and ended up dashing around a wonderful city defeating a villainous plot to do something or other.

Then my alarm went off and, as is tradition, I hit snooze.

I had what started as the same dream except the villain had managed to go back in time and trigger environmental collapse that caused the wonderful city to be flooded with raging torrents of water.

I didn't quite manage to defeat them and undo the disaster before my alarm went off again and unfortunately after that snooze my unconscious had lost interest.

I've not had dream continuity or recollection to that level for ages, and certainly nothing so clever in a very very long time.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 16:00 
Isn't that lovely?

BikNorton wrote:
I had a dream where I was on holiday and ended up dashing around a wonderful city defeating a villainous plot to do something or other.

Then my alarm went off and, as is tradition, I hit snooze.

I had what started as the same dream except the villain had managed to go back in time and trigger environmental collapse that caused the wonderful city to be flooded with raging torrents of water.

I didn't quite manage to defeat them and undo the disaster before my alarm went off again and unfortunately after that snooze my unconscious had lost interest.

I've not had dream continuity or recollection to that level for ages, and certainly nothing so clever in a very very long time.

It's terrifying when that happens!

I used to have a recurring dream, where some sort of SPECTRE type villainous outfit was attacking the block of flats where I grew up. I quickly realised I was in a dream, and that as I'd had it before, I didn't need to worry as things always worked out...

....until one dream when they just didn't, everything started to go wrong, shots that had always been taken, were missed, trying to jump over things that were suddenly too high, where there used to be 10 baddies to defeat, now there were 50.

It really felt like my subconscious was playing a long con on me, luring me, only to completely do me over. I used to dread having the dream, to see which horrible way I'd be outmatched this time.

I have not had either version of the dream in a very long time, although I still often dream of the block of flats in other contexts (It's probably the most frequent backdrop to my dreams, appearing in about 20% of them I'd think)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 16:22 

I find that element of dreams SO fascinating. Recurring motifs, plots, areas.

I don’t know if anyone else has it, but I have whole areas and pieces of architecture that I have made up, that I continuously go to in my dreams.

For example, there’s a huge old house that I regularly find myself in, in my dreams. It’s not a real house, and can’t be a house I’ve seen and forgotten but held in my subconscious as the layout is bonkers. For example there’s a long slide that goes from the second of three floors to the ground, sweeping from the side, across the front, and round to the other side. Plus there’s a huge bathroom that sticks out into the wide hallway, but in the back wall of that bathroom are two also it’s that lead to two huge bedrooms, and you have to go through the bathroom to access those bedrooms. There’s also a fireman’s pole that goes from a room full of plants and William Morris wallpaper, right through a really airy drawing room and straight down to the entrance hallway.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 20:12 

I've got a whole town, though I rarely dream in it anymore. It's Stafford although it doesn't bear any resemblance to the place, and also it has the place I worked in Winsford in it, except that doesn't bear resemblance either.

Hilariously last time I did dream in it the company I worked at next had bought it and was moving in/taking over

That was a couple of years after I'd moved to my current employer.

There have been other fantastic repeat locations and dreams but one of the most noteworthy was a medieval top-down
zelda-like where I knew some of the glitches eg a wall you could run through and end up somewhere else in the map. Literally out of body, looking down on myself in the map as I ran around.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 20:15 

Huh. I've just remembered it's got the old portacabin classrooms in it from grammar school too, way too many of them set on the playing fields of the other secondary school I went to.

It also has amazing bars, arcades (with real and unreal games, some of which I played) and restaurants that don't exist in reality :(

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 21:15 
Paws for thought

I sometimes dream of a little house in a meadow.

I don't know why, but it absolutely terrifies me.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 21:22 

Maybe we’re constructing our own forever-realms to go to when we die?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 22:29 
Unpossible!

I also have a dream town. It's a combination of all the worst parts of Middlesbrough. I often get lost in sprawling council estates, or end up walking down endless terraced streets.

My primary school is blended nicely with both my high school and 6th form. It's largely consistent too

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:19 

I had a forum dream last night. I used to get them a lot, but haven’t had one in ages.

There were loads of us staying in some kind of large shack, like a holiday cabin or something, but though it was large the sleeping spaces were very small. I ended up having to share a single bed with Grim…, so I got in first and was pressed up against the wall, squished between Grim… and the wall. I was struggling to sleep, because he kept on talking and asking if I was getting squished, and I kept saying no because I didn’t want to upset him. Next it was morning and I decided I was going to make breakfast for everyone. Everyone looked in various states of unrest apart from Goddess Jasmine who was wearing some kind of beautiful long floaty neglige and was literally glowing. There was some kind of golden light behind her just lighting her up. Anyway, she looked radiant and said she’d slept in some giant queen sized bed by herself. I went off to make breakfast but then Grim couldn’t get the shower to work so I had to drop what I was doing l. The shower was huge, much bigger than the bedroom, and really fancy, so we’re standing in the shower and I’m trying to get it to start whilst he is distracted looking at different bottles of shampoo, then I press a button and there are jets of water squirting from all directions and it’s a total mess and there is shampoo everywhere and Bobbyaro comes running in to say that breakfast is burning. Grim bought all his clothes in several large bin liners but now all my clothes are wet so I’m rifling through him bags trying to borrow clothes and notice there is blood everywhere. Then I woke up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:31 

The early Cottages were wild.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:46 
Isn't that lovely?

Had a strange dream last night, that seemed like it should have been a really shitty, contrived comedy sketch that goes on far too long, and is really boring, but sets up the worst punny punch line you can think off, and you're left thinking "Is that it? I watched 15 minutes of build up for that! Fuck off!"

Quote:
I was on a platform of a train station (It reminded me of the platform at Maidenhead - where I used to have to change to get to work at Marlow) waiting for a train to take me to a concert and I feel like I need a wee, so I go through the door to the loos, and it more resembles the changing room of a swimming pool than a toilet. Changing rooms like they had in the 80s, with communal changing benches, rather than individual booths. Several people are in various states of undress, some obviously just finished swimming, some getting ready to swim.

I am not interested in them, I'm looking for a urinal, as my train is due soon, and I want to wee quickly so I don't miss it. I am looking around, and there's all sorts of weird bowl/urinal/bidet looking hybrids, I am not sure if you're supposed to wash your hands in them, your backside or what. I keep on looking, there must be some normal toilets somewhere, and I eventually find them, there's a row of about 10 cubicles, but 7 of them are in use. I go to check the ones that say vacant on the door lock, and I notice that there is a queue of about 5 people waiting for them (despite them being unoccupied, the first few people are not making their way to use them). There is already some grumbling from the people towards the back of the queue, but no one wants to queue jump as it's just not the done thing. So I join the back of the queue, and this seems to prompt the people in front to use the vacant stalls and progress finally is made.

Then I hear an announcement over the tannoy that my train is about to depart, so I leg it back to the platform, thinking I'll just go on the train.

However, there are no toilets on the train as it's a tube train, but I don't panic, as there are only a few minutes between stations on the underground, so I just plan to go at the next station (even though I don't want to get off there, but I am pretty desperate at this point, I figure it's better to arrive on a later train, and miss the build up of the concert than to wet myself.

So, off I get at the next station, and look for the loos again, and It's exactly the same as the previous station, I'm thinking ooh glitch in the matrix, I find the queue for the 3 empty cubicles and wait to use the facilities, then cue the tannoy announcement and I rush to train.

This then repeats for 5 more times, 5 stations, 5 strange toilets that look like 80s changing rooms, 5 queues, 5 tannoy announcements, 5 trains with no toilets on them.

I then get to where I am going for the concert, and I really need to go now, so I think I better use the loos here, as the ones in the concert venue are likely to be even busier.

So, this time when I queue up, I don't need to worry about missing my train, I get to the front of the queue, and just as it's my turn, the seven occupied toilets all open at once, and then out comes 7 pigs made of colourful plastic circles, they look like some 8 year old has got hold of various sized and coloured plastic circles and made them into pigs.

The person in the queue behind me in the queue taps me on the shoulder, and says to me "You know what day it is don't you? It's Roundhog day"

Then I woke up

Fucking fuming

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:16 

The only way that story could have ended better would have been if you'd woken up in a pool of your own piss ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 14:40 

Last night I had a dream that I was getting a Covid booster Jab and when I sat down in the booth it was Kovacs to give me the jab. He stuck the needle in my arm and gave the vaccine, but as he put the cotton wool on afterwards there was a drop of blood, and he said he was worried that I had bled out the vaccine, so before I could say anything he stuck another vaccine in my arm. I edged away and started to pull any jumper on but then he said that looking at what he had done he thought he'd stuck the needle in too far up my arm, so he gave me a third injection a little further down. I loudly said 'OK, enough now', but he said that to be on the safe side he'd try again. I said no, my arm was going to be very painful, so he said he'd give the next one in the other arm. I ended up running away until I woke up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 15:38 
Soopah red DS

That fucker.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 15:40 
Gogmagog

Freud would say
"Kovacs
Prick
Run”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:45 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I went to a Sushi restaurant that was a sort-of reverse Yo! Sushi, where all the dishes were stationary and your chairs were moved around on a conveyor belt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:47 

That’s so brilliant!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:08 
Hibernating Druid

Superb

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 23:59 
Prince of Fops

Been there, Oy Sushi.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:21 
Hibernating Druid

Kids in tears as they scoot away from their barely touched ice cream…

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 20:27 
Unpossible!

Squirt wrote:
I went to a Sushi restaurant that was a sort-of reverse Yo! Sushi, where all the dishes were stationary and your chairs were moved around on a conveyor belt.

I didn't notice what thread we were in to begin with...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 23:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Findus Fop wrote:
Been there, Oy Sushi.

Little covered plates of latkes and gefiltefish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:58 

I had a dream that I went swimming with Dimmers, and he was teaching me to swim (I can kinda swim but not confidently) at this really cute pink 1950s retro indoor pool. After we left there we were walking through a park on a warm but not hot day. It wasn’t busy. I was about to suggest a picnic when suddenly there were dark shadows everywhere and these futuristic aircraft (or maybe spacecraft) of some kind were in the skies everywhere. The few other people in the park ran away but we were kind of glued to the spot.

One of the craft was a series of about ten black rings that were sort of tangled together but constantly moving around into different formations, like when a magician has metal rings that he’s manipulating. Another was a huge smooth shiny black pebble looking thing.

Anyway, I woke up then, but it was pretty frightening.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:48 
Hibernating Druid

Dreamt vividly of inspecting Grims tyres on his Bobcat that were HUGE Tamiya buggy tyres (really rounded and chunky bobbles all over) I commented on how soft and grippy they must be and with a huge grin on his face he agreed they were. This was all taking place in a huge garage workshop at the side of his house. Mimi was there and she needed the loo, which was just plonked in the corner, no door or anything. But before it could be used, Grim asked if I’d help him empty it as although it looked like a standard bog it wasn’t plumbed in so was really a fancy bucket. I agreed then woke up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 13:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

*cough* Tomcat *cough* (A Bobcat is a little digger)

Thanks for agreeing to empty my bog, though. I'll bear that in mind.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 15:03 
Hibernating Druid

What? You don’t have a digger?!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 17:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fear not, I can borrow one any time I like :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 18:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Adventure toilet!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 18:37 
Skillmeister

Is that another one of your Jeeps?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:18 
Skillmeister

Last night I dreampted that Mimi was reading the national news on BBC1.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 13:21 
Hibernating Druid

Would watch

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 13:22 
Hibernating Druid

And now over to Wogans Trouser Bulge, for the weather.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 14:46 

Dimrill wrote:
Last night I dreampted that Mimi was reading the national news on BBC1.

:luv:

Funny actually, because a couple of days ago I dreamt that you and Helen and Russell and I all lived in a little white walled thatched cottage and we had about 30 little rabbits bouncing around the vegetable patch as you and I were making a pea frame out of planks of wood, but all of the rabbits weren’t just standard rabbits, they were cute little classic Disney cartoon grey rabbits, like Thumper. It was really sunny, but not at all hot.

I know why I had that dream. We’d had a thunder and lightning storm that day and I always think of you when we do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:16 
Isn't that lovely?

I was helping JBR and Jem with a charity fund raiser which was going to be televised.

The idea was to make the biggest indoor carousel in the world, but instead of horses and whatever, there would be hot tubs, then we would convince a whole load of celebs to sit in them, this would then be televised.

People would then pledge money, and when certain targets were hit, the celebs would start removing clothes. (at £100, £1,000, £10,000 etc)

Things were going well, all sorts of different levels of celebs had agreed to do it, from Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and Scarlet Johansson, to reality and soap stars, former athletes, prominent youtubers. Grim... and Cras agreed to represent Beex, and sit in the same hot tub, but only on the condition that they would only wear smoking jackets.

As it was going so well, JBR and I went to a local pub (Jem was busy over seeing the celebs in the hot tubs) and I offered to buy him a drink, he wanted a specific beer (which they had in 250ml bottles) and I asked what lagers they had. They mentioned the only one they had was lime infused thing, which I accepted. They then went to a cupboard with about 50 3 litre bottles of lidl lime larger in it, grabbed one, and poured some of into one of those water bottles that add to the taste by making it smell nice. It cost £19.85 for the two drinks, which JBR remarked was cheap for the area.

And then the alarm went off

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:13 

Were the hot tubs going up and down, or just spinning like a teacup ride?

Reply to topic  [ 1241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next