Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 174  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 18:56 
Decapodian

Mr Russell wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Make sure you watch Ted Lasso before Sudekis gets cancelled...

Oh no. Is he a wrong un now?

Nope, but he is trying to get custody of his child(ren) from his ex-wife at the moment.
The legal firm acting for him decided to serve the paperwork to her while she was on stage. He denies any knowledge of the timing. People on the Internet are angry.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 19:00 
Awesome
Yes

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Make sure you watch Ted Lasso before Sudekis gets cancelled...

Oh no. Is he a wrong un now?

Nope, but he is trying to get custody of his child(ren) from his ex-wife at the moment.
The legal firm acting for him decided to serve the paperwork to her while she was on stage. He denies any knowledge of the timing. People on the Internet are angry.

Oh my. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 22:02 

Mimi wrote:
We started watching Severance the other day. We were both really enjoying it until we realised that there were only two episodes available and it’s being released one episode a week, like TV used to be before we all lost our ability to remember anything for more than 24 hours. I partly joke but o have actual memory issues and can’t watch things weekly and follow along, so I’m a bit disappointed as it was shaping up to be excellent. Hopefully we’ll remember to pick it up once the whole series is available.

Well, we watched this (for including rewatching the first two episodes, as I have a bad memory for TV plots) and it is excellent.

The end of season cliffhanger is so cliffhanger-y though that I now shall not rest until the next series.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 20:48 
Decapodian

It’s a Star Trek night. The season finale of Picard, and the start of Strange New Worlds. Yay!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 22:26 
Decapodian

Strange New Worlds is great!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:41 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I really enjoyed Severance, I can understand that many may have found the ending underwhelming but I enjoyed the reveal. It is also one of the very few examples of Corporate Horror (the two others I can think of are Ligotti's 'My Work is not yet Done' and the film 'Sorry to Bother You'). Corporate Horror being about the horror of working for a corporation rather than Corporations doing horrible things...which seems to be every other movie / TV Series.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:46 
Can you dig it?

Mr Russell wrote:
Ted Lasso is amazing.

Roy Kent is my new current favourite TV character.

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
It’s a Star Trek night. The season finale of Picard, and the start of Strange New Worlds. Yay!

I keep trying and failing with Picard season 2.

I found the end of S1 pretty underwhelming and the start of S2 hasn't grabbed me, and I'm not sure I can be bothered to continue. Does it pick up?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Ted Lasso is amazing.

Roy Kent is my new current favourite TV character.

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

I found the end of S1 pretty underwhelming and the start of S2 hasn't grabbed me, and I'm not sure I can be bothered to continue. Does it pick up?

Picard season 2 does pick up, but only right at the very end. Episodes 3-8 are terrible.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:24 

Got so fucking bored of his childhood flashbacks. Feel like that whole story could have been told in five minutes.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:04 
Isn't that lovely?

markg wrote:
Got so fucking bored of his childhood flashbacks. Feel like that whole story could have been told in five minutes.

Yes!

I wanted more Picard and co being fish out of water in LA in the early 21st century, and much much less of bebe Picard running around a mansion that was ruined in WWII and apparently still had ruined sections in the 24th century!

Also, the best treatment for depression in the 24th century is to lock that person in a room! Did the writers actually forget when Picard's childhood was?

The series had so much potential, but was ruined by very bad writing and what I can only imagine was the "amazing hook" the head writer wanted to hang the whole season on.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 13:37 
Prince of Fops

Ozark - the final final season, finished.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
A strong finish for a show that grew from strength to strength in each series.

Ruth's demise was sadly all too inevitable as soon as her life started going in the right direction. She was foul-mouthed firebomb of a presence throughout, though interesting how the writers started flagging the inciting role she played in many of the key plot points -- that were the ultimate triggers for the potential demise of all characters (sectioning of Ben; murder of Javi).

I enjoyed how they amped up the tensions between family life and criminal life in this final series. Somehow the absurdity of casually discussing murder and money laundering over breakfast with the kids seemed more present this time around.

The ending I... liked. It took me a little while to process. My instinctive reaction was disappointment. I really couldn't give a shit about either of the kids, so for it to end like that with Jonah and the gun and the cut to black, felt like a non-ending, sub-Sopranos. But the more I thought about it, the smarter it felt. The Byrds were about to escape, but Jonah's murder of the police officer, in stopping the truth from coming out, has condemned them -- as a family -- to a life they can no longer escape.

So yeah, much like the Sopranos ending, I disliked it initially, but having spent more time thinking about it, I think it works well. And if an ending has you thinking about it, to a degree it's a good ending regardless.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 13:42 
Decapodian

Sir Taxalot wrote:

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

I thought it started ok, dipped in quality, then picked up again. It's definitely better than S1 but if you're not feeling the love then just watch Strange New Worlds instead as that *is* great.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:17 
Bad Girl

6 episodes into the final season of Brooklyn Nine Nine is … not good. Waste of a legacy.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:38 
Can you dig it?

Satsuma wrote:
6 episodes into the final season of Brooklyn Nine Nine is … not good. Waste of a legacy.

That last series is gash innit. I never got around to watching the last 2 or 3 eps. I heard that they somewhat redeemed it but I couldn't be bothered.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:39 
Can you dig it?

The Outer Range (Amazon video) seems well made, high production values, intriguing premise, beautiful cinematography but boy is it ssssssssslllllllloooooooow

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 13:48 

Yeah, we're sticking with it for now but I'm starting to want some assurance that it's actually going somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 14:43 
Bad Girl

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

That last series is gash innit. I never got around to watching the last 2 or 3 eps. I heard that they somewhat redeemed it but I couldn't be bothered.

It’s even got Dr. Cox in it!? Why’s it so bad!?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 15:03 
Gogmagog

Satsuma wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

It’s even got Dr. Cox in it!? Why’s it so bad!?

He was also in Burn Notice.

Which was excellent.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:55 
Can you dig it?

markg wrote:
Yeah, we're sticking with it for now but I'm starting to want some assurance that it's actually going somewhere.

We got to the end of Ep3 and my interest is starting to wane, I think I dozed off at a few points. Are you ahead of us and, importantly, has it started going somewhere?

The trailers made it seem a bit more mysterious and almost spooky or supernatural themed.

I went in expecting a bit of Twin Peaksy or X-Filesy suspense and weirdness, but ended up with men talking slowly about cows and land.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:52 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Re: 'Outer Range'...finished it and was left wondering what the point of it? All that money, all those talented people in front and behind the camera and t the result just doesn't do anything. It has a couple of interesting ideas but just doesn't do anything interesting with them.

On the other hand I found Hacks (also on Amazon) excellent and very funny. It may be my age but I was always on the side of Jean Smart's character (jaded Vegas comedian) than the young (slightly annoying) comedy writer. Episodes are shorter than 30 mins so you can charge right through it.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:04 
Soopah red DS

And series two of Hacks has new episodes released every week right now, though I don't know when/whether it gets added to Prime.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:47 
Can you dig it?

Morte wrote:
Re: 'Outer Range'...finished it and was left wondering what the point of it? All that money, all those talented people in front and behind the camera and t the result just doesn't do anything. It has a couple of interesting ideas but just doesn't do anything interesting with them.

We made it to the end. Lady T was keen to persevere, and I didn't really care much so I sat down too. I slept through some episodes. Can't remember which ones but it didn't seem to matter too much.

Things did pick up a little, and I mean a little, by the end but it still seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity - there were some cool ideas that almost, almost made me want to see what would happen next. If the last episode or two had've twisted and really kicked into overdrive with advancing the plot it could have been really neat.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 16:23 
Bad Girl

I watched season 1 of Ozark, cause apparently it’s good.

Gotta say, those first two episodes come out swinging. I reckon if you’d change the ending of episode 2 to have the main guy kill himself and then the insurance not turn up and the mob kills the family anyway, you’d have a really fucking good film.

But it’s a 10 episode season so it doesn’t end there and, we’ll, it gets a bit boring. Too many baddies introduced and, frankly, I fucking detested the stupid ducking rednecks that grow heroin. It was, at all, times, unwatchable just because of them. But the ending was alright so I might continue. Those rednecks better fuck the fuck off though cause they’re doing my tits in.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 16:24 
Gogmagog

We finished the final series last night and it all was brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 16:59 

I'd say it definitely found its feet throughout the run. Worth sticking with, satisfying conclusion.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 23:24 
Bad Girl

Currently watching the cringe fest that is Obi Wank Kenobi.

I kinda like that Obi Wank’s bits are (currently) like Episode 4-6 and Young Leia’s bits are like the prequels, as a concept.

But fuck me, that chase in the woods had me cringing so fucking hard. It was the worse thing I’ve seen in a series that has such a massive budget. And some of the sets looks terrible. Obi Wanks home in the caves looks too much like a set they knocked up overnight with some shitty styrofoam.

Child actors must be so hard to cast but young Leia is so annoying that she’s currently making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Plus I don’t like the lighting in the desert much either.

And the black woman who plays one of the Inquisitors is fucking cringe as well.

God, all these Star Wars programmes are just the worst. Marvel does it slightly better but I can’t help feel that these TV series are really hurting both brands as viewers are getting fatigue. I certainly am.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:06 
Bad Girl

Episode 2 is worse.

Leia is very irritating rather than endearing. She runs like a little fat kid yet she can outrun everyone.

The black woman inquisitor, fuck knows what her name is, is still annoying. There’s an extended sequence where she’s back flipping around rooftops, presumably to show how cool she is, but she looks like a fucking idiot. She’s got all the nuance in her dialogue as you’d expect for these types of shows. Like, none. She yells “We will find you” at a spaceship like Anakin in Revenge of the Sith screaming “noooooo”. Just terrible.

The sets are also bland, empty and lifeless. You can almost feel that they’re filmed mainly on green screens (or whatever tech they’re using these days) like the prequels. The “gritty city” environment doesn’t look believable and an extended sequence in a back alley looks like you could eat dinner off the floor.

Yeah, this ain’t good. Mind you, old Trainspotter isn’t doing a bad job reviving Obi-Wan, I’ll give him that.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:20 

Only seen the first episode, thought it was okay and therefore will watch the next one. Because life's too short to be watching something I hate.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:13 
Soopah red DS

I thought it was fine, but I love little Leia - immediate reaction was ohgodachildactor, but within a couple of minutes I wanted the whole thing to be about her. So far, looks like I win.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:51 
Isn't that lovely?

I enjoyed them, not amazingly brilliant, but pretty good fun none the less, however, it is continuing the theme that ALL Jedi are idiots and make stupid decisions all the time!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 17:55 
Bad Girl

Season 3 of Barry is an absolute delight. The bike sequence was better than most action sequences in most films.

Love, Death and Robots season 3 was pretty good too. The pay offs are often a bit meh, but the different animations are really something. Better than season 2 and much more gory too, so yeah, that’s good. Needs better short story writers though.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 18:52 
Prince of Fops

Satsuma wrote:
Season 3 of Barry is an absolute delight. The bike sequence was better than most action sequences in most films.

Love, Death and Robots season 3 was pretty good too. The pay offs are often a bit meh, but the different animations are really something. Better than season 2 and much more gory too, so yeah, that’s good. Needs better short story writers though.

We are only on S2 of Barry, but my god, that episode with the taekwondo target was immense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:45 
Bad Girl

The opening bits of The Boys season 3 episode 1 was so insane that I couldn’t help but splutter out my coffee. If you see a giant penis you’ve seen that bit. Christ.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:00 

I honestly don’t think I can watch The Boys any more. I found it really difficult to sit through the first two series.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:27 
Prince of Fops

Yeah, even by The Boys' standards, the first ep was a tough watch. A jubilee of squelchy splattering.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Satsuma wrote:
The opening bits of The Boys season 3 episode 1 was so insane that I couldn’t help but splutter out my coffee. If you see a giant penis you’ve seen that bit. Christ.

That was apparently a real prop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:39 
Isn't that lovely?

I guess this should go in a spoiler

I watched it with my wife (who has not seen the previous seasons) and was sort of explaining what was going on, when he went inside the penis, I said he's probably going to grow big now, whilst inside him, and she said: They wouldn't do that would they? I said, that's exactly the sort of thing they would do, and then he did.

I am still going to watch, but I really didn't feel up to watching a second one straight after. I think I might have to pace them a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 13:01 
Bad Girl

The second episode was ace too. The gore factor has been turned up to Mortal Kombat.

The actor who plays Homelander is fucking IN-CREDIBLE. 100% commitment and genuinely terrifying. He’s knocking it out of the park every time he’s on screen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 13:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

He's fantastic, isn't he?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 13:30 

I liked him since watching Banshee, he was great in that too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 23:16 
Bad Girl

I’ve watched Obi-Wan episodes 3 & 4 and, fuck me, it’s so boring and poorly executed it’s making me angry. Star Wars fans must be up in arms at how this franchise has been treated since the original trilogy.

Darth Vader is in it and, apparently, for a guy who can’t move very fast in his giant suit and stomps around like he’s got PUBG feet, he can apparently stealth attack you even when you’ve been running away from him. Seems to me that running away should absolutely flummox the guy.

And apparently if you dragged into fire you … don’t get set on fire. Who knows how stuff works anymore.

And apparently if you have a Jedi in a pincer movement what you have to do is wait until the Jedi turns his back on you then you must stop firing because that’s not cricket. Wait for him to turn around and now you can start firing. And probably kill your mate standing next to you with a ricochet.

And the series is limited to, what, 6 episodes and it feels like fuck all is happening after 4 episodes? Just a boring protection mission on a variety of equally dull made-up bullshit ass planets with terrible names. And a population where at least one person is a mole with worms for lips.

Astonishingly shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 23:49 
Can you dig it?

Stranger Things 4 is quite dark and unpleasant, and also feels like it's just going through the motions. It's not bad, but it's not great either. And each episode is LONG.

Cobra Kai is shit now. It was fun back in S1 and bits of S2 when it was about Johnny but now there's a lot of focus on lame teen kids that all of a sudden are karate experts and able to learn, deconstruct, counter and then teach against a 'rival style' that they had been learning for oooooh, maybe 12 months previously. I realise the show is probably not meant to be judged like this but it's jarring. And shit.

Satsuma wrote:
The actor who plays Homelander is fucking IN-CREDIBLE. 100% commitment and genuinely terrifying. He’s knocking it out of the park every time he’s on screen.

I remember thinking in S2 that the way he switched between being charming and charismatic in public, to sinister and vile the moment he turned away from view, was utterly fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:52 
Unpossible!

I love reading other people's incorrect opinions about excellent TV shows. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:12 
Gogmagog

Will admit I watched a couple of bits through my fingers during Episode Three of The Boys. It is wonderful, absolutely The Boys.

Breaking the arm, and eating the Octopus
although the latter was superbly played for laughs as well.

I'm also really enjoying Stranger Things 4, it is a huge step up from 3 and 2 I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:15 
Prince of Fops

breaking the arm
was the only bit I've had to look away from in the boys. The preamble was too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:28 

Has anybody watched Godless? We are three episodes in, but my goodness it it testing my concentration. Each episode is about 1hr 10 mins and it’s really slow paced. Really nothing has happened in three and a half hours and I don’t know if it’s worth sticking with.

Also the kid, Truckee, is a shrunken forty year old man.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:03 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I have watched The Lincoln Lawyer, I quite enjoyed that. I hope the make more. I do like a good crime drama. I would recommend it.

I have also finished watching all 4 seasons of the Rookie, that was a good popcorn police show. Was not too heavy and I could have on in the background when working as did not require a lot concentration.

Now to find another show to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:27 
Unpossible!

Ms Marvel started well. Well enough for me to want to keep watching, which is more than I can say for Moon Knight, sadly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:30 
Gogmagog

Yeah, Moon Knight droped off our list after a promising start

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm enjoying Moon Knight. It's not great, but it's good enough.

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 174  Next