Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crafty stuff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 13:38 
Best
Board Mother

That's fantastic. :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 18:16 

If that's a copy of your house, you've got way too many doors. Must be a bloody nightmare to lock up in the evening before you go to bed!

It looks incredible, and it's nice to see an advent calendar with a 25 on it - seems not many do these days!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 18:18 

:D The worst bit is when you take a wrong turn and walk straight out of the upstairs.

And thank you :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 19:43 
Gogmagog

Lovely!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 22:59 
Can you dig it?

That really is smashing, the something that will be brought out year after year, forever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 13:05 

I made us some family Christmas stockings to hang by the fireplace. They’re a cotton velvet, with a cotton lining and loop, so they should last a long time, and prevent any ‘catches’. I made them from a narrow 1m length of velvet, and managed to get four stockings out of it from a pattern that I drew up specifically to leave as little fabric waste as possible. I drew the pattern to cut on my curing machine as well, so that was very exciting as I hate cutting fabric!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 14:59 
Best
Board Mother

They look lovely, and what a beautiful colour too. :luv:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 15:06 

Thank you. I’m glad you said that. I ordered four different samples of similar greens and it took me a long while to finally settle on this. I’d just decorated the living room so wanted something that would fit with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 20:46 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mimi wrote:
I made us some family Christmas stockings to hang by the fireplace. They’re a cotton velvet, with a cotton lining and loop, so they should last a long time, and prevent any ‘catches’. I made them from a narrow 1m length of velvet, and managed to get four stockings out of it from a pattern that I drew up specifically to leave as little fabric waste as possible. I drew the pattern to cut on my curing machine as well, so that was very exciting as I hate cutting fabric!

Meems you are so so talented

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:12 
Decapodian

Those are awesome. People (I) would pay good money for something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:32 

Aw, Dr Z, thank you! I like making things for Christmas as we reuse them each year and it’s nice to take them out each year.

I sewed gingerbread gift tags for all the children I know and buy gifts for, too. Hopefully they’ll also double as a little personalised decoration for the tree. These were simple and I just sewed them in front of the TV. My favourite think about them is that I used a layer of quilt wadding in them (instead of poly fill toy stuffing) so they are lovely and squishy but still
flat, and exactly the right thickness for a gingerbread person. I think I made 12 or 16 in total.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 18:27 

I’m making a World Book Day costume for Darwin. I’m not much a fan of World Book Day, but a while ago someone (I think it was Curio) posted something on Twitter asking about the best coat in film or TV. I said it was Gene Wilder’s Willy Wonka coat, because it is. I always wanted a coat like that when I was younger (in my teens, really).

Anyway, when the school sent messages home about World Book Day I asked Darwin who he wanted to be and he said Willy Wonka. So, as he’s missed the last two World Book Days due to Covid, I decided to go all in and do the thing. I made the trousers, waistcoat, bow tie, the hat, and I made the coat. These pictures are a bit crappy as it’s been a dull and rainy day, but hopefully I’ll get some better ones in the coming days.

The coat is 100% cotton velvet. The fabric is beautiful and I wished the photos did it justice. The coat is fully lined. You can’t see in the pictures but the back is pieced from 16 panels in total. It’s been a kind of ‘project of a lifetime’ for me and I almost cried when I had it done just because I’m so proud that I managed it. I’ve shortened the hat by 7cm after taking the pictures to better match the scale of the Gene Wilder hat height:face ratio. I’m really happy with the fabric I found for the waistcoat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 18:33 
sneering elitist

I apologise in advance for putting it this way, but I don't think any other way does it justice:

HOLY FUCK MIMI!!! :o :luv:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 18:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Great job! How long did the coat take you? I think my first jacket took me roughly 50 hours :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 19:16 
Soopah red DS

Woah! Seriously fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 19:33 

That is utterly incredible. Just need a photo or ten of Darwin showing it off, now! Bonus points if you can get him to do the limp-walk-somersault move ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 20:00 

Amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 21:16 
Unpossible!

Will you be my Mum next time round?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 21:54 

You’re on, Mr Paz! Thanks everyone for your kind words. I feel incredibly proud at seeing it through, and I can’t imagine making something I love as much as this again in my lifetime, partly because it isn’t a necessary pair of pyjamas or similar, so I could make it just for the sake of making it.

The coat didn’t take as much as 50 hours, Trooper, but it was a lot of work. I counted the pattern pieces on the coat alone and there are 53 pieces including the lining. It always feels like kids things should be quicker to make as they’re smaller, but actually that just means it’s far fiddlier, especially fitting sleeves in those tiny armscythes. I hand basted the whole coat (because I hate pins and didn’t want the velvet to mark), bit by bit, going upstairs to sew between the tacking sessions.

The trousers and waistcoat felt like really short projects after that. I made the trousers in about an hour and a half yesterday even though I had to pretty much wing it as I never had a trouser pattern with a fly.

I made the hat this morning. It’s made from cereal boxes and felt :D I hand sewed the cardboard and then sewed ten felt to the cardboard. Pushing that tiny needle through the cereal boxes really was tough on my fingers, then I decided (after the pictures) to shorten it, so my fingers are a bit sore now :)

Then the bow took ten minutes. That was satisfying.

When I finished the last piece I almost felt a bit teary, I think partly relief that I got it done in time, and partly because it was over and I’ll likely never attempt something this silly but fulfilling again.

I’ve got 30 little chocolate bars arriving on tomorrow’s Ocado order to make little Wonka Bar wrappers for.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 22:36 
Best
Board Mother

Absolutely amazing Mimi, what an amazing feat of crafting. Just shows your skill and talent. :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:49 
Gogmagog

That's superb!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:16 

Darwin asked to try the finished costume on today. I’m really happy with how it came together.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:26 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mimi, you are amazing. I am lost for words, that is just awesome...

Can you adopt us all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:47 

I’m not sure I have enough fabric or sanity left for all of you :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

I assume you'll be hand carving the cane :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:18 

Trooper wrote:
I assume you'll be hand carving the cane :D

I have what would be the perfect basis for a cane but thought his school wouldn’t appreciate me sending him in with a big stick :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:19 
Excellent Painter

Amazing work Meems! Darwin looks awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 14:46 
Unpossible!

You could modify a cheap plastic sword into a cane by removing the cross piece. Nice and light and no danger to other kids. Teacher proof!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 22:54 
Can you dig it?

That's incredible work, something to be treasured.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 15:09 

I’m only posting these as they went with the costume pictures, but I made some chocolate bars for Darwin to take in to school today and maxes little cardboard shipping box to put them in.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 0:34 
Sitting balls-back folder

That's bloody amazing!

Your drive and eye for quality are brilliant, Mimi.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 0:45 

Now - to bring things down a bunch of notches, I'm both embarrassed about this and a bit chuffed that I can relax enough to get this far in one evening.

Instead of just enjoying metal videos with the silly voices I decided to see if there's anything about doing it oneself. Throat singing and the like.

Silly, awfully-lit videos ahoy!

Turns out I could've been in Ghostbusters.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ACuaACb6ysuc7nqL7

Though I won't be quitting my day job to be the lead for pink Floyd or Electric Callboy just yet
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Djm2njpqDQd1SUk7

But it does seem that
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVPi4KQubrP2wci29

All very silly stuff (which I'm cringing about), but it is nice to be able to have relaxed control of myself in some form, instead of being unconsciously tense the whole time (my personal trainer is quite exasperated by my ability to suffer effects of an exercise in totally the wrong place because everything is tense all the time)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:27 
Awesome
Yes

That's incredible. You can hear it coming from almost the depths of hell.
Also, big kudos for posting yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:04 

I hope you’re well stocked up on fishermans friends!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 13:34 

I think I must've done it approximately in the right way because no soreness or croaking today :)

Not quite embarrassed enough to delete the post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 15:22 

Very spooky!

Ideal for your ringtone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 16:14 

BikNorton wrote:
I think I must've done it approximately in the right way because no soreness or croaking today :)

Not quite embarrassed enough to delete the post.

Pffft. Nothing at all to even start being embarrassed by

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 19:16 
Best
Board Mother

I echo what has been said above. That's pretty impressive and I'm pleased you felt comfortable enough to post it on here too. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:22 
Skillmeister

BikNorton wrote:
Now - to bring things down a bunch of notches, I'm both embarrassed about this and a bit chuffed that I can relax enough to get this far in one evening.

Instead of just enjoying metal videos with the silly voices I decided to see if there's anything about doing it oneself. Throat singing and the like.

Silly, awfully-lit videos ahoy!

Turns out I could've been in Ghostbusters.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ACuaACb6ysuc7nqL7

Though I won't be quitting my day job to be the lead for pink Floyd or Electric Callboy just yet
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Djm2njpqDQd1SUk7

But it does seem that
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVPi4KQubrP2wci29

All very silly stuff (which I'm cringing about), but it is nice to be able to have relaxed control of myself in some form, instead of being unconsciously tense the whole time (my personal trainer is quite exasperated by my ability to suffer effects of an exercise in totally the wrong place because everything is tense all the time)

Do you listen to Phurpa, by any chance?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 14:34 

So, Bean is going to his school ‘fancy dress as royalty’ Jubilee party dressed as the wolf from Red Riding Hood (who is, of course, dressed as a grandma). There’s probably some social commentary to be had there, but really it’s because of terrible organisation and communication.

Back in April school sent home a newsletter saying that this week was going to be ‘Fairytale Week’ and that they were having a fairytale themed Jubilee party for the last day of term, and it was fancy dress on the theme of fairytales, and pupils could come dressed as princesses, dragons, etc.

Then last week they sent home a reminder but this time specified that it was royalty themed fairytale costumes. :headdesk:

We had discussed and agreed a costume with Bean based on the fact that he needed a new dressing gown anyway, and I didn’t have much time, so would just need to make a hat and paint his face. Now this new info changed things, and I did a quick panicked message to the other parents in his class who said that their little ones were all going in royal themed costumes. I hadn’t started Bean’s costume and a crown/cloak ensemble wouldn’t be much work and would be technically simpler to make, so I told him that the rest of the class were going as royalty and what did he want to do? ‘Still go as the wolf, of course!’ So, here is grandmama’s night cap with wolf ears poking through. Lol.

Could tell him to growl ‘eat the rich’ really menacingly for added effect, but probably shouldn’t.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 14:46 

It's his clever and satirical tribute to Isabella of France.

Love your creativity Mimi. First Wonka, now a Wolf. Keep them coming!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 15:49 

Ooh, nice knowledge. I think you can play any mistake out if you have enough knowledge at your disposal. I actually hate the repeated fancy dress things, but if I agree to do something I find I need to lean fully into it.

If you’re going to do something, do it as extra as possible.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:21 

Fancy dress day is today. This wolf is off to eat the rich.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 13:11 
Decapodian

Grrrr!

Looks awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:08 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 14:49 

It was Bean’s birthday this weekend, and he had a party for the first time ever (he wanted one last year and the year before but Covid made things difficult), so I made a few little bits for the party. I didn’t get photos of a lot of it, but there were some dinosaurs for the invitations I made (they all had Googly eyes to finish them off)
Attachment:
37868C2F-840A-4FCF-B041-D7224878A382.jpeg

I made little lunch bags for each kid, full of party food, which said ‘Dino food’ on them. Some little cupcake decorations for the cupcakes I made
Attachment:
98B519D1-FE06-4F00-9A15-24AE11AD9D37.jpeg

And I made personalised little goodie bags for each of the kids to take home, filled with lots of little treats and a t-shirt each

Attachment:
7802473E-BBD2-4177-A4B5-9CF7D0182416.jpeg
Attachment:
7DF1BC18-B9EC-4574-8D2D-EF46B1262B9A.jpeg
Attachment:
116195E1-1D7B-4AF8-B604-140429B7721B.jpeg
Attachment:
FB445041-3AEE-43D1-BA24-6052C45F1F06.jpeg

There were 14 tees in all and I tried to make them with a different dinosaur each.

It was at a dinosaur adventure golf course. A fab, noisy day!

Attachment:
4C835E01-70BC-400E-A964-B50569039AE5.jpeg
Attachment:
F7084122-9ECC-4FE9-A4C7-AE48A7AD05B9.jpeg
Attachment:
27E3A463-AA7E-48EE-9B38-4A42D93B0AF1.jpeg

The kids were great but it was EXHAUSTING. A few of them were a bit of a handful to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 15:15 
Soopah red DS

Not that I'm much of an expert, but I can't tell which might be a handful from those photos - they just look like a joyful, joy-filled bunch! I particularly the photo of them all shouting (roaring?). It looks like a day they'll remember for ages!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 15:24 

They were roaring. It was loud!

Actually, this roar was even louder!
Attachment:
A4356ACF-04E2-471F-8FF6-1E3E143FD71E.jpeg

You honestly can’t tell who is going to be a handful. There is one little kid who always looks so incredibly sweet, but my goodness he wanted to smash those dinosaurs with a club at every opportunity he got, and was just purposefully knocking his ball in the stream so I’d have to fish it out at every turn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 15:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mimi wrote:

You honestly can’t tell who is going to be a handful. There is one little kid who always looks so incredibly sweet, but my goodness he wanted to smash those dinosaurs with a club at every opportunity he got, and was just purposefully knocking his ball in the stream so I’d have to fish it out at every turn.

..and his name?

...Russell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 15:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The variety of dinosaurs and how well adapted they typically were to their evolutionary niche is an excellent opportunity for a wonderful learning experience. You want your ball out of the stream? Grow flippers, kid.

Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next