Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Bin Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 14:07 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Vaguely bin-related, but I had a chat with some of the chaps who work at our local tip the other day, as it was quiet and they helped me with some stuff. Some of the nicest, friendliest people I've ever met. 5 stars, excellent customer service, would dispose of old paint cans and strange rusty crap i found in our shed again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 14:26 

Yeah, the blokes at our tip are sound too, as are the bin men. Remember when our daughter was about two or three, she'd get super excited to see them come to take the bins, so they'd let her sit in the lorry and beep the horn and stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 14:27 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

markg wrote:
Yeah, the blokes at our tip are sound too, as are the bin men. Remember when our daughter was about two or three, she'd get super excited to see them come to take the bins, so they'd let her sit in the lorry and beep the horn and stuff.

That's awesome! Heck, I'd be pretty stoked to be able to do that now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 15:12 
Hibernating Druid

Dress up like a two year old girl next time they collect.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 15:15 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Zardoz wrote:
Dress up like a two year old girl next time they collect.

Yeah, like I haven't already tried that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 16:23 
Hibernating Druid

Got a tip run tomorrow, one more sleep!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 22:35 
Can you dig it?

markg wrote:

I've found that ours are pretty gruff and seem rude at first, but once I made the 'first move' of trying to engage and have a chat they quickly open up and are pretty cool.

Even the grumpy older lady at the boom gate is starting to thaw a bit, thanks to my frequent visits (oooh errr) and cheerfully calling her 'love' and 'darlin'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 22:08 
Awesome
Yes

Mr Russell wrote:
The brown bin wasn't collected yesterday. This is the penultimate collection before the service stops for the winter.
I've emailed the council to ask for their opinion on the matter AND I WILL REPORT BACK!

My email was ignored.

Mimi rang them and they came out today!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My council have announced that they're going to start charging for the green bin collection next year.

They've spun it that they have lots of complaints that they don't run the service all year round so now, they will... Except you're going to have pay for it.

Abysmal. They've also fallen out with the council just over the border so we can't use the tip there anymore unless I fake some ID with a different address on it

Fuckers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:26 

How much will it cost per year?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

They haven't said yet but it'll annoy me if I have to pay. I'd expect a better service if its going to cost me but I imagine it'll be the same as it is now. They'll still leave the bins all over the street, half empty some at will and on the odd occasion, drop half the bin on the floor and not clean it up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:06 
Unpossible!

It'll be about £40 a year. Ours is

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:12 

Yeah, same here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It's currently included in the council tax I already pay.... No deal Noel.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:25 

I honestly wouldn’t mind paying the £40 a year if that money went towards some community services, but I bet it doesn’t.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:32 

In fairness our normal bin is big enough that we could just not bother and just chuck it all in with the non-recyclable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's what I'm thinking. I reckon I could get my grass cuttings in a black bag in my main bin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I think I'm going to write to my MP about this. Not that I imagine it'll do much good. The official press release goes like this:-

Quote:
We know how much people value this service.

We’ve listened to complaints from people who are frustrated with the current collection cycle, so we know many will be pleased to see us extending this to all 12 months of the year.
Most councils already charge to cover the costs of providing this service.

A new chargeable opt-in service would give people the choice whether or not to use it.

We will be doing all we can to ensure the extended and improved service offers excellent value to our residents.
The proposals will go through a full scrutiny process which will establish recommendations around charging, which we will of course consider before making a final decision on the cost to residents.

So to be prepared, I've put an FOI in that says

Quote:
I would like to know about the complaints you've received with regards to the current green bin collections. In a recent press release, Karen Shakespeare stated "We’ve listened to complaints from people who are frustrated with the current collection cycle"

I would like to know how many complaints you've had about the current green bin collection service and exactly how many of these complaints specifically ask about collecting waste outside of the current 32 week schedule.

I would also like to know, out of these complaints, how many people requested a paid for service for the green bin collections.

She also went on to state "Most councils already charge to cover the costs of providing this service". I would like to know how you researched this. Out of the 398 Councils in the UK, I would expect the term 'most' to apply to over 50% of these Councils so I would like to know how many currently charge for the green bin collections. I would imagine you'd know this figure otherwise Karen wouldn't have suggested that 'most' of them currently charge.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:39 

If it’s been previously covered in your Council tax, do people without gardens, in flats, etc, get that amount deducted from their council tax bill?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mimi wrote:
If it’s been previously covered in your Council tax, do people without gardens, in flats, etc, get that amount deducted from their council tax bill?

I would imagine that they don't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:56 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I guess it is for all council services. I have not had my house catch fore but still pay for the fire service. :)

The removal of garden waste is included in my council tax.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:20 
Best
Board Mother

It's all going on...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... p_AppShare

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:20 

TheVision wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I would imagine that they don't.

Then, honestly, I think it’s totally fair to charge for the service separately. I guess it just feels a bit off that people who might have less, living in flats and bedsits, and some people struggling to make ends meet should be paying for people to have their lawn trimmings carted away. Obviously, that’s all on council management, though. Again, I can’t imagine that the extra money saved is going to end up going towards community services, sadly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:24 

KovacsC wrote:
I guess it is for all council services. I have not had my house catch fore but still pay for the fire service. :)

The removal of garden waste is included in my council tax.

Not the same thing. The fire service exists for us all in our time of need, like the NHS. It’s there for emergencies, and you ‘use’ it in the terms of you are subscribed to the service (much like you’d once have to pay a fire service privately as a form of insurance). We all pay the fire service ‘insurance’ in the knowledge that if we were to have a fire, they’d be there.

Having a bin emptied is a scheduled service that benefits only those with gardens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:28 

There's loads of services that council tax pays for which some people don't use. Council tax bands address some inequities but now a mid terrace is paying the same for this particular service as a five bed detached.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Like Kov said above, I'm sure there's lots of elements of my council tax that goes towards things that I don't use or would never use but this is a service that's been provided by the council for as long as I can remember. Along with the normal rubbish bin collections and the recycling collections. Perhaps they should separate all the collections and let people decide whether they want a recycling collection too? They could charge extra for that and if push comes to shove, would I pay for it? Probably not. It would all go in the one bin and would save me a bit of space in the garage and the faff of trying to teach the kids what can be recycled and what can't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:35 

It's the difference between services councils have to provide by law, such as domestic waste, and services they can choose to provide. As budgets continue to shrink, more and more authorities are going through their services with a fine comb, looking for any opportunity to recover costs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:52 

TheVision wrote:
Like Kov said above, I'm sure there's lots of elements of my council tax that goes towards things that I don't use or would never use but this is a service that's been provided by the council for as long as I can remember. Along with the normal rubbish bin collections and the recycling collections. Perhaps they should separate all the collections and let people decide whether they want a recycling collection too? They could charge extra for that and if push comes to shove, would I pay for it? Probably not. It would all go in the one bin and would save me a bit of space in the garage and the faff of trying to teach the kids what can be recycled and what can't.

Well, no. Because every household generates some degree of recyclable and non-recyclable waste.

I’m not sure I understand the anger other than ‘it’s tradition’, especially as you’ve said that it will fit in your normal bin collection, so you won’t need to pay, but I hope that you get some form of helpful answer from your MP.

The only thing I would say is that it would be nice if the fee could be waived for families who were in receipt of certain benefits, or had certain disabilities that made trips to the tip difficult, but I know that’s never be organisable.

It’s good to see that the bin thread can still generate some furious anger when it needs to, though. >:(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:55 
Gogmagog

@thevision if you write to your local MP, copy the councillors in as well. They love it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 13:04 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MaliA wrote:
@thevision if you write to your local MP, copy the councillors in as well. They love it.

Good tip. I shall do!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 15:03 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Good tip. I shall do!

Arf.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 16:51 
Soopah red DS

I don't think anyone should be surprised - years of austerity, and centralisation, have left councils all over short of money. This is a somewhat regressive way to address it, for sure. But the blame always goes on central government (though, like every other organisation in the world, of course councils aren't perfect and don't spend or invest money perfectly).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 17:47 
Sitting balls-back folder

DavPaz wrote:
It'll be about £40 a year. Ours is

It'd be something daft like £70-80 for us, plus the upfront cost of the bin.

We compost most things including leaves though, and chip any wood that is too small for the fire (which chips are notionally used to lay paths or put around plants, but so far have sat around until they also compost). Still end up taking carsful of stuff like ivy and brambles to the tip most weekends, most of the year round. A single wheelie bin isn't going to cover that.

There are some people that have brown bins on this lane and it's one of the things that annoy me - trying to make countryside living behave like the suburbs. Do it properly or gtfo!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:47 
Decapodian

Ours is about £40 for the garden waste. Not sure I’ll bother next year, or possibly share one with me neighbour

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 16:24 

He’s the hero Beex deserves

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 21:56 
Can you dig it?

Mimi wrote:

Makes this thread look a bit amateur in comparison.

I have always found small differences in every-day mundane objects interesting, although not to the same extent as this chap. Noticing that the electricity pylons, for example (sorry Pete), were different in Europe to England is something that has always stuck with me for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:49 
Unpossible!

Disaster! Storm Dudley claims another victim!

Spoilered for horror

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Attachment:
PXL_20220217_083259931.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:20 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
Disaster! Storm Dudley claims another victim!

Spoilered for horror

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Attachment:
PXL_20220217_083259931.jpg

STAB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 13:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

https://walrusbracket.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 15:33 
Prince of Fops

Awesome, new Captain Beefheart!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 22:55 
Can you dig it?

Friday is bin day and for the first time in a long, long time I put the bins out on Thursday night instead of rushing to do it before work on Friday morning.

It felt good BUT there were some gross slugs on the handle of the yellow bin - i didn't see them there, but certainly felt them when I touched the handle. So gross.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 23:15 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Friday is bin day and for the first time in a long, long time I put the bins out on Thursday night instead of rushing to do it before work on Friday morning.

It felt good BUT there were some gross slugs on the handle of the yellow bin - i didn't see them there, but certainly felt them when I touched the handle. So gross.

Aw! Bin slugs! Lucky!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 23:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bin slugs! As my grandma used to say:

See a bin slug
Pick it up
All day long you'll
Have good luck
Touch a bin slug
Even better
Then you'll get
A lovely letter
From the queen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 23:50 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Trooper wrote:

See a bin slug
Pick it up
All day long you'll
Have good luck
Touch a bin slug
Even better
Then you'll get
A lovely letter
From the queen

Curse of the bin slug:

Sticky wicky bin slug climbed up the wheelie bin,
Out came the human and brought the bin back in,
Out came the finger and squidged the slug to death,
And the sticky wicky bin slug said "this is your last breath"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 0:09 
Soopah red DS

Trooper wrote:

See a bin slug
Pick it up
All day long you'll
Have good luck
Touch a bin slug
Even better
Then you'll get
A lovely letter
From the queen

:kiss: :luv: :kiss: (also much applause)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:56 

There's a letter from the council sitting on my sideboard explaining the fantastic new bin policies. I think I'm going to wait until later today to read it, and make an occasion of it by pouring myself some champagne.

When I came home last night, there was a new small food caddy halfway across my drive which I decided must be mine as I couldn't see any by the neighbours' bins so took it in. It's cruel to leave them out in the storm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:54 

Our bins had to be rescued several times yesterday and through the night. They’re down a little passage (60-80cm, perhaps) between our house and the house next door, and like blowing a piece of paper into a bottle, the wind goes down that little dead end passage, hits the wall and the bins pop out.

It was bin emptying day yesterday. General waste and recycling.

General waste was first, at about 7:30. Russell happened to be looking out of the bedroom window when the bin truck came and emptied the bin. As the bin chap was dragging the bins back to the pavement he snagged a wheel on the kerb and the bin fell over, across the pavement. So he decided to just leave it there across the pavement rather than pick it back up.

Some time later, and before Russell had made it outside, the recycling lorry came by and the recycling chap saw the fallen bin and picked it up, just as Russell was heading out to fix it and put the empty bins back.

General Waste Team 0-1 Recycling Team

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 16:33 
Decapodian

We were in London yesterday, and had the slightly bizarre sight of a police armed response unit with blue lights on chasing bins as they were blown around on Tottenham Court Road.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 16:35 

Oh great, Daleks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:01 
Gogmagog

The bins were meant to be collected earlier than normal today because of the heat, now there's been a shooting so NO BINS
https://twitter.com/livs_wills/status/1 ... 6907668480

Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next